The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 30 May 2016, 02:30 AM   #1
Hollister
Banned

Watch: 114300
Eric Ku should be called Eric Kuuuuuul!
Hollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2016, 02:43 AM   #2
KarlS
Banned

That's done it!! I am a heathen...whilst there is something wonderful knowing that a single master worked on that time piece along with the rarity should make me weak at the knees. It doesn't...beautiful yes...34 mm... Even the dial seems to be outsourced at least the PP says enamel!!! OK string me up.......but for me it's the PP it's absolutely gorgeous and forget the minute repeater
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2016, 02:48 AM   #3
Hollister
Banned

I don't think the dial of simplicity is outsourced.

Edit - I'm wrong again.
Old 30 May 2016, 03:11 AM   #4
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollister View Post
I don't think the dial of simplicity is outsourced.

Edit - I'm wrong again.
the manufacturer I think is on the Dufour dial but it could have been worse.....waiting for someone to ask why the PP does say Swiss but referring to emails??
Old 30 May 2016, 02:55 AM   #5
RationalPragmatist
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
I think there's some small independents like Philippe Dufour that are slightly superior given their individual artistry and attention to each piece but those are far more difficult to acquire.
RationalPragmatist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2016, 11:56 AM   #6
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Difference between top brand and top quality. There are other manufacturers that produce top quality timepieces, as good or better, but Patek is the most prestigious, the top brand.
Old 30 May 2016, 04:11 PM   #7
KarlS
Banned

I wonder how people would score finish and movements without knowing themsnufactyrer at all!!
Old 31 May 2016, 02:04 AM   #8
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Nilfire77, thanks for posting that comparo. Due to a relative recent acquisition of a camera lens and camera that can really get close up and magnify, it further convinced me about the 'quality in finish' of modern Pateks. Hopefully the company realizes their many errors and hires a proper consultant to assist in bringing back quality to their production both mechanically and visually.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2016, 03:05 AM   #9
Narbeh
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP
the only brand superior to Patek is Patek.
Narbeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2016, 06:31 AM   #10
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Hollister, my feelings echo yours as there are truly amazing manufacturers that are far ahead of Patek in finishing and details to movement. Am impressed what some independents are doing with very innovative designs. Patek is getting too mainstream and mass produced, and like you said it is showing.

Here are some examples of many http://www.watchprosite.com/?page=wf...&pzt=0#fs:1232
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 31 May 2016, 07:57 AM   #11
shnxx
"TRF" Member

As an entry level Patek owner, I drank the Patek kool-aid, but I definitely think other brands offer technically and visually more interesting products at the same price.
Old 31 May 2016, 01:13 PM   #12
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post

Gus, ...
My position is well documented in various threads, so no need to go over old ground again.

Out of the 157,319 members, perhaps everyone else has noted your position in previous posts, it does not stand out with me and as the OP has only been a member since last December with ~200 posts maybe you could share it with him in the interest of the discussion?
Old 31 May 2016, 01:23 PM   #13
KarlS
Banned

Sadly whilst I am sure Dufour and GB are the pinnacle. On an emotional level I don't lust after either, so no need to sell the house or press my nose wistfully against the AD window
Old 1 June 2016, 04:00 AM   #14
Tony64
"TRF" Member

... And she playfully sticks out her tongue...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (65.3 KB, 306 views)
Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2016, 04:01 AM   #15
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Let's take a closer look, shall we...
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (159.3 KB, 302 views)
Old 1 June 2016, 04:02 AM   #16
Tony64
"TRF" Member

What's that? You still want closer? Okaaay....
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (100.0 KB, 296 views)
Old 1 June 2016, 04:04 AM   #17
Tony64
"TRF" Member

No way she's coming anywhere near me with that thing!

Oh, wait.... Never mind

Maybe you understand better now? Sorry, Hollister, for the confusion that my initial post created. I'll try to express myself more clearly going forward.
Old 1 June 2016, 04:11 AM   #18
el1125
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony64 View Post

Oh, wait.... Never mind

Maybe you understand better now? Sorry, Hollister, for the confusion that my initial post created. I'll try to express myself more clearly going forward.
lol. great explanation!!! I could not have done any better myself!! Even though just posting a pic of that chick would have been enough for me.
el1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2016, 04:43 AM   #19
Hollister
Banned

Quote:

Oh, wait.... Never mind

Hi, thanks for all the good thoughts Tony, but that's an absurd argument. No-one has posted an electron micrograph, they are just camera macros, and all of them are at the same magnification. A totally fair comparison of workmanship.

One thing I've learned in my short time here is that there are certain brand owners who won't tolerate any criticism of "their" brand. Oh well.
Old 1 June 2016, 05:06 AM   #20
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Quote:
One thing I've learned in my short time here is that there are certain brand owners who won't tolerate any criticism of "their" brand. Oh well.
That attitude is pretty new around here and I hope it will go away again.
capote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2016, 05:22 AM   #21
Hollister
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by capote View Post
That attitude is pretty new around here and I hope it will go away again.
Me too. It renders any sort of discussion redundant. The perfect watch hasn't been made.
Old 1 June 2016, 05:11 AM   #22
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi, thanks for all the good thoughts Tony, but that's an absurd argument. No-one has posted an electron micrograph, they are just camera macros, and all of them are at the same magnification. A totally fair comparison of workmanship.

So sorry to hear that your experience on TRF has been less than stellar so far. Hopefully it will improve! It's really a great forum with passionate collectors and novices alike that share their views and experiences. Unfortunatley like all things on the internet there will always be those few that would rather insight than provide insight! I sincerely hope that you will not prevent you from continuing to share your insightful commentary.

To address your most recent comments specifically, I apologize for what you have described as an absurd argument. It was neither my intent to argue nor to be absurd. Hopefully you and the other forum members can forgive me this once. My message, apparently extremely obtuse and poorly demonstrated, was simply to point out that micro analysis is not always such a good thing when it comes to matters of beauty. Unless you're suggesting that these micro enhanced images covey any sense of functional significance, then I assume our discussion regards our own personal aesthetic view of perfection.

As I am no more likely to view the back of my watch thru these micro lens images than I am to view the SEM images of the supermodel's tongue, I will stand by my analogy - poor as it may be.

I sincerely hope that your experiences on this forum improve, as I'm sure that there is much that you can contribute!
Old 1 June 2016, 05:19 AM   #23
Hollister
Banned

Quote:
So sorry to hear that your experience on TRF has been less than stellar so far. Hopefully it will improve! It's really a great forum with passionate collectors and novices alike that share their views and experiences. Unfortunatley like all things on the internet there will always be those few that would rather insight than provide insight! I sincerely hope that you will not prevent you from continuing to share your insightful commentary.

To address your most recent comments specifically, I apologize for what you have described as an absurd argument. It was neither my intent to argue nor to be absurd. Hopefully you and the other forum members can forgive me this once. My message, apparently extremely obtuse and poorly demonstrated, was simply to point out that micro analysis is not always a such a good thing when it comes to matters of beauty. Unless you're suggesting that these micro enhanced images covey any sense of functional significance, then I assume our discussion regards our own personal aesthetic view of perfection.

As I am no more likely to view the back of my watch thru these micro lens images than I am to view the SEM images of the supermodel's tongue, I will stand by my analogy - poor as it may be.

I sincerely hope that your experiences on this forum improve, as I'm sure that there is much that you can contribute!
I feel like I'm being patronised.

No, the macros do not show "functional significance", what they show is the quality of finishing, care and workmanship.

Again, what's the point of a PP vs a Rolex? Functionally, the Rolex is on a par with PP, so it's not that...
Old 1 June 2016, 05:30 AM   #24
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Well, I tried.
Old 1 June 2016, 05:33 AM   #25
Hollister
Banned

Tried to do what? How about answering the PP vs Rolex question.

BTW, I've been collecting watches for many years, and have done a lot of research as a result. I may be a "newbie" on this forum, but I'm not wet behind the ears.
Old 1 June 2016, 05:46 AM   #26
el1125
Banned

Quote:

BTW, I've been collecting watches for many years, and have done a lot of research as a result. I may be a "newbie" on this forum, but I'm not wet behind the ears.
Just like in your other posts, you are spewing negative comments to everybody on everything...
el1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2016, 06:08 AM   #27
Hollister
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by el1125 View Post
Just like in your other posts, you are spewing negative comments to everybody on everything...
No I am not. Fanboys may take them as negative, but that's not the reality.
Old 1 June 2016, 05:58 AM   #28
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Actually Hollister, when I replied "Well, I tried", I was actually addressing the other forum members reading this thread. I'm sure they got my meaning.

Sorry for the confusion.
Old 1 June 2016, 06:10 AM   #29
Hollister
Banned

Quote:
Actually Hollister, when I replied "Well, I tried", I was actually addressing the other forum members reading this thread. I'm sure they got my meaning.

Sorry for the confusion.
What is your meaning? What does haute horology mean to you? Explain why PP is the best brand. I strongly suspect it's a just brand thing for you, refute this.
Old 1 June 2016, 06:40 AM   #30
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

As an interesting point of reference, here is a close-up shot of the Rolex Daytona movement. Ok, not total eye candy yet nicer in some ways than the recent Pateks. BTW, the ceramic Everose Daytona here is +/-1 second every week or so. Far and away more accurate than any Patek I've had here, and have had over 10.

And since this thread seems to be degrading to....