The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 24 September 2017, 11:24 AM   #1
CharlesGenta
"TRF" Member

Watch: Red Sub 1680
How to Collect Vintage Datejust?

Folks,

I've always been a modern watch collector but recently started taking a very serious look at vintage Rolex watches. I've seen lots of information on collecting Daytona and Submariner watches. But very little information on Datejust is available.

Can someone here provide a primer on collecting Datejust watches?

In particular, what are the key models to watch for? Sorta the "Paul Newman" of the Datejust world, so to speak?

Much appreciated.
CharlesGenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2017, 02:03 PM   #2
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
I love vintage datejust! And have many. I'd be interested In other's views on this. But one of the reasons I like it is because there's no real grail, at least in my view. Sure, some are worth more or less depending on age, etc. But in the vast middle, there's a lot of room for individuality and personal taste in collecting vintage DJs. I like blue dials. And Buckley dials. And jubilee. And gold and steel. And oyster. And open 6's. And tapestry. And pie Pan. I mean, fun and a cheap way to collect, in my view. Good luck!
GGGMT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2017, 04:25 PM   #3
waspy1
Banned

For me it would be an early black gloss gilt dial. The best being an all white gold example. Incredibly rare and pretty expensive if you ever find one. Prob over 80k usd for decent condition.

Down from that, a nice early gilt dial in a steel case. The early examples with dagger hands, claw markers are very nice. They are also hard to get and much more expensive than more common pieces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
waspy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2017, 07:58 PM   #4
marcel2812
"TRF" Member

anyone ever seen 80s turnograph with linen dial? saw on offered and i am seriously considering to get it. but i have doubt if it is replacement dial as there is no other example in google for this particular combination.

Sent from my SM-G9287C using Tapatalk
marcel2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2017, 08:30 PM   #5
Ouro9999
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUB16610lv
My datejust king fahd!

Enviado de meu SM-G955F usando Tapatalk
Ouro9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2017, 09:48 PM   #6
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

How to Collect Vintage Datejust?

I collect them and find them reasonably priced and good value, lots of variety for any taste. Here are some wide boys and pink gold /ss combo.

Old 25 September 2017, 12:07 AM   #7
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

My infatuation with DJs began around 2000, I'd always had one around and they came and went but my 'grail' was a SS 1600. I loved the simplicity of that watch, it was quintessential Rolex to me. One finally popped up on Time Zone and I bagged it immediately.

The Explorer I became the darling of the day around that time, they sold new for 2400 and were bringing as high as 5k on the forums, they were that hot. I'm as susceptible to hype as the next guy so I started looking at them as well...and then I would look at my 1600 and had a kind of epiphany. What, exactly, could the EXI do that my humble 1600 couldn't do? What was the point of them?

Any serious student of Rolex will recognize the importance of the DJ, the Date, the OPs in making Rolex what it is today. It wasn't the Sub or the GMT that created the Rolex mystic it was the millions of workaday Rolex out there doing what Rolex do that solidified Rolex' fame. In the 60s and 70s if you had to do something nasty, dangerous, serious or just required reliable time keeping under adverse conditions most turned to Rolex and most turned to the DJ.

What are called 'sport' watches today were niche watches back then, tool watches for a specific job, lol, Chronographs, subs and GMTs lounged on the shelves for sometimes years before selling. That's what makes them expensive today, not that many of them. :)

The actual hero of the Rolex saga is the 15XX movement. Without this stout heart powering all the watches we love today Rolex might have been just another Omega or Brietling. Beginning in 1959 and last used in the EXI in the 80s. Every adventure a Rolex had was dependent on this marvel of engineering.

One of the guys on the new side said Rolex movements simply weren't pretty enough to deserve a glass back, nothing to look at really. He could not see he was spending 10s of thousands on new Rolex today because of what that 1570 movement built. That movement is 49 years old and has beat a billion times, I love to look at it. :)

The DateJust is the heart and soul of vintage Rolex. If you don't own a DJ you don't really understand vintage Rolex.
Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2017, 12:27 AM   #8
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
I'd say the most collectable datejusts are the early black and white datejusts with honeycomb dial.

Like this one:

http://watchesinrome.com/watches/rol...honeycomb-dial

roh123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2017, 06:54 AM   #9
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Or this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9.jpg (163.5 KB, 407 views)
Old 25 September 2017, 07:51 AM   #10
Nikita70
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 16760
I've been drawn to the DateJust more and more lately. I definitely want one on a jubilee as my 16760 is on an oyster. Two tone or SS. So many choices.
Nikita70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2017, 08:14 AM   #11
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootbeer7 View Post
Or this?
Rare!
Old 25 September 2017, 08:29 AM   #12
CharlesGenta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Carver View Post
The DateJust is the heart and soul of vintage Rolex. If you don't own a DJ you don't really understand vintage Rolex.
Old 25 September 2017, 12:34 PM   #13
CharlesGenta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouro9999 View Post
My datejust king fahd!
Wow!
Old 26 September 2017, 02:47 AM   #14
Vlad
"TRF" Member

The ultimate holy grail of Datejusts is any from the first batch (first 100, individually numbered) - impossible to find.

Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2017, 05:20 AM   #15
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
The ultimate holy grail of Datejusts is any from the first batch (first 100, individually numbered) - impossible to find.

Huge wow!
Old 26 September 2017, 09:47 AM   #16
enginerd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel2812 View Post
anyone ever seen 80s turnograph with linen dial? saw on offered and i am seriously considering to get it. but i have doubt if it is replacement dial as there is no other example in google for this particular combination.

Sent from my SM-G9287C using Tapatalk
Actually, yes I have. There was a 16250 on eBay a few years back from a reputable member on here. Silver linen dial, SS w/WG bezel. He was asking $3450 if I recall correctly. The day I decided I was going to have it, it had sold. I've never seen another since.
enginerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2017, 10:11 AM   #17
motoikkyu
"TRF" Member

It also depends how far back you are willing to go: a 6105 is not a DateJust, but it has many of the same characteristics: 36mm oyster case, date function. That one's a bubbleback.
Old 26 September 2017, 10:14 AM   #18
Vlad
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoikkyu View Post
It also depends how far back you are willing to go: a 6105 is not a DateJust, but it has many of the same characteristics: 36mm oyster case, date function. That one's a bubbleback.
???? 6105 is very much a datejust, so is 6075 and 4467.
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2017, 04:15 PM   #19
onthedial
"TRF" Member

Watch: IG @onthedial
@CharlesGenta
Regarding the DJ, there's a plethora of dial variations and references to choose from. I would recommend saving pics from the web of examples that really speak to you. Narrow it down to a manageable number then begin actively finding one to purchase. Be patient because even if one gets away from you, another comparable will appear on the market. The main thing to be remember is Condition, Condition, Condition.
Enjoy the hunt!
————————
Instagram: @onthedial
onthedial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2017, 07:20 AM   #20
motoikkyu
"TRF" Member

I apologize, the 6105 is a DateJust, as Vlad pointed out. I have no defense, must have switched my brain off for too long. One of my ovettones doesn't have "DateJust" on the dial and I have no idea what case reference it is or even if the dial is repainted.
Old 27 September 2017, 08:56 AM   #21
CharlesGenta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthedial View Post
@CharlesGenta

Regarding the DJ, there's a plethora of dial variations and references to choose from. I would recommend saving pics from the web of examples that really speak to you. Narrow it down to a manageable number then begin actively finding one to purchase. Be patient because even if one gets away from you, another comparable will appear on the market. The main thing to be remember is Condition, Condition, Condition.

Enjoy the hunt!

————————

Instagram: @onthedial

Great advice.

Old 27 September 2017, 09:25 AM   #22
gregory_b
"TRF" Member

I’d love to learn a little more about the vintage DJs, for me it’s WG/SS, fluted bezel and jubilee. But I’ve got a ways to go learning about the dials are out there.

Can anyone recommend any sources to start looking at? Instagram accounts or articles?

gregory_b is offline   Reply With Quote