The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 16 July 2011, 08:48 AM   #1
vincennes02261897

Icon9 Unable to Change Time or Date of DJ

Hello,

After not having worn my Datejust perpetual (16233 I believe) for a few days, when I took it out yesterday, the time needed to be reset. I unscrewed the crown and pulled it outwards to change the time like I've always done. After changing the time, I proceeded to change the date. Pushing the crown in all the way, and pulling it back out to the first stop I began to slowly and softly turn it to change the date. Unfortunately though, it seemed stuck. Because I didn't want to risk hurting anything, I did not force it and instead I pushed the crown back inward and securely sealed it back.

When I looked at my watch later, I realized that the time wasn't working anymore. The second hand wasn't even moving.

Today, I took it to an authorized Rolex dealer to be looked at and I was told that the ____________ was stripped. To repair the watch would take about a month because the watchmaker is backed up and it would also cost around $550 for the repair and a cleaning.

My questions are as follows:

1.) I didn't catch the term for the part of the watch that is stripped. Can you help me identify this please?

2.) Would this be a fairly simple thing to change without much experience with watches? I'm a do-it-yourself kind of guy and would certainly be favorable to saving the money if at all possible.

3.) Does the above-mentioned cost seem reasonable for the repair?

4.) Is this a fairly common thing to go wrong?
vincennes02261897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2011, 09:58 PM   #2
ExpII
Banned

Watch: Milgauss, PAM 359
You could check with Rikki or Bob Ridley ask to repair cost. Both are highly respected on the forum and I've had work done by both. Both are very good at what they do and are very easy to deal with via email and phone.

Rikki: http://www.timecareinc.com/
Bob: http://www.watchmakers.com/

Good luck.

PS - I see you're in Texas, Bob is in Arlington, TX. Might be easier for you . . .
ExpII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2011, 10:29 PM   #3
Rikki
TechXpert

Watch: 5512 s/s Sub
Most likely your slide pinion or intermediate wheel is stripped and the watch would havew to be serviced because they're teeth floating around that could damage other gears send it down would be glad to service it for you. Rikki
Rolex Parts Account Holder.
Rikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2011, 09:45 AM   #4
vincennes02261897

Thanks for the responses, guys. I'll be sending you a message, Rikki.
vincennes02261897 is offline   Reply With Quote