The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > Buyers/Sellers "Who's Who" ?!?!

Old 28 January 2011, 11:27 PM   #31
Boadicea
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortgageGuy View Post
Against the grain here too...

Your first Rolex should without a doubt be from an AD
I'm with you on this. If it is your first and only purchase, go for an AD. I'm not trying to knock the sellers here, i'm sure they are great, but there is something to be said about the dealer service and also the peace of mind on the watch you bought. It may cost more, but it is worth it!

In contrast, I will only ever buy from an AD so my opinion may well be one sided. To me, you can't put a price on knowing that you are the first and only owner of a genuine watch that has not been through various (and often unknown) hands to get to you.
Boadicea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2011, 11:41 PM   #32
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

There are deals to be had at ADs, and there are places that will take good care of you, not just when purchasing the watch, but for whenever you have an issue with it too. They are out there, but sometimes they're a little hard to track down amongst the more disappointing ADs
The GMT Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2011, 11:46 PM   #33
dsio
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub 1680 '79
If you paid one of the TRF sellers full MSRP instead of their discounted rates, I'm sure they'd be willing to take you to dinner/strip club/Disney land and send a thank you card.
-- Rolex Submariner 1680 "Ghost" '79 --
-- Rolex SS Daytona 116520 '04 --
dsio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2011, 11:55 PM   #34
cedargrove
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss, GMT IIc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boadicea View Post
I'm with you on this. If it is your first and only purchase, go for an AD. I'm not trying to knock the sellers here, i'm sure they are great, but there is something to be said about the dealer service and also the peace of mind on the watch you bought. It may cost more, but it is worth it!

In contrast, I will only ever buy from an AD so my opinion may well be one sided. To me, you can't put a price on knowing that you are the first and only owner of a genuine watch that has not been through various (and often unknown) hands to get to you.
I agree. For the very first I'd go to an AD, but don't settle for a minor discount.
cedargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2011, 11:56 PM   #35
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
I have never regretted buying my first Rolex from an AD. That was a start that has allowed me to buy 4 very hard to find watches at MSRP that GD's would have charged WAY over MSRP for.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2011, 12:12 AM   #36
psv
"TRF" Member

I've bought at least 3 Rolex from different ADs as well as more expensive Panerai, JLCs etc from boutique or ADs, and I have never been offered champagne or been particularly impressed with the treatment. Nice and courteous treatment, very friendly and no-pressure, good service etc - so I don't think that is the reason to buy from AD.

For me it comes down to a couple of reasons:

Is this a piece that I plan to keep for life and hand down to one of the kids? If so, I want it untouched by other people and the warranty in my name. I might be able to do that via our TRF Sellers but then again, on the popular models their prices are at the same levels, or higher, than a good AD. I got my recent SubC at AD for less than it frequently sells for used here at TRF. The hype is over on the SubC and most ADs have them in stock - Jan/Feb post-Christmas is slow-season so there is room to negotiate.

On the other hand, if it is a model I really like but not 100% sure about for life, and it is a common model like a GMTIIC, I much rather buy via TRF Sellers in used mint condition and save big.

About getting AD discounts: most people know better than to judge the book by the cover. I have an former boss who is LOADED (think private jet, multiple houses, tons of Patek etc). He regularly strolls in at top end jewelry/AD store in sport pants and flip-flops and he might very well walk out with a Patek or Lange.

It all depends on how you carry yourself when you are in the store: your level of knowledge; what you converse about (like what else is in your collection); your seriousness about doing business that day; your ability to pay in various ways; perhaps a bit your age and appearance, perhaps profession. I hate to say it, there is nothing fair about it - as always in life - people who got plenty of money get the best discounts (same goes for banks, car dealers, whatever).
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2011, 12:41 AM   #37
Route 66
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270 Mark II
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortgageGuy View Post
Against the grain here too...

Your first Rolex should without a doubt be from an AD... go get the AD experience, the royal treatment, the champagne, the Thank you card........and on and on and on...
To me, these perks just don't justify the thousands of dollars more you're likely to pay at an AD. Save your money and go with one of the trusted sellers here and buy your own champagne. You can splurge and buy a bottle of Dom Perignon (which is a much higher quality bottle than the dealer will open for you) and still save a bunch in the long run.
Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2011, 12:41 AM   #38
m5blitzer

Watch: Enough is enough!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by psv View Post
It all depends on how you carry yourself when you are in the store: your level of knowledge; what you converse about (like what else is in your collection); your seriousness about doing business that day; your ability to pay in various ways; perhaps a bit your age and appearance, perhaps profession. I hate to say it, there is nothing fair about it - as always in life - people who got plenty of money get the best discounts (same goes for banks, car dealers, whatever).
100% agree. Well said. Especially if the money is hard earned.
m5blitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2011, 12:44 AM   #39
m5blitzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevarn View Post
Save your money and go with one of the trusted sellers here and buy your own champagne. You can splurge and buy a bottle of Dom Perignon (which is a much higher quality bottle than the dealer will open for you) and still save a bunch here.
What is there is no money to be saved with a trusted seller and the AD throws in the Dom Perignon to boot?? Don't get me wrong - just always keep your options open!
Old 29 January 2011, 12:55 AM   #40
mtrunner
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126508 Paul Newman
Quote:
Originally Posted by CashGap View Post
I hear this often, and I must be missing a responsive gene or something. I never feel ANYTHING when I'm paying someone to be nice to me... Not even for a moment do I think "Wow, champagne... They must really like me!". It seems so obvious..."I am overpaying by $XXX so they are dribbling $y back on me to numb the pain of overpayment... I am paying them to act friendly."

But then again, my wife has pointed out that I'm part of the .1% that dislikes lingerie, so I must be the oddball on this one too.
I agree with you. I also don't need someone pretending they appreciate me. I saved nearly $3500 on my first Rolex going through a Grey Dealer on here. I don't think someone kissing your butt and a glass of champagne is worth $3500. I can buy a whole lot of Champagne for that.

I have saved enough money on my four purchases from here that I could buy another Rolex and still have money left over.
mtrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2011, 01:03 AM   #41
Chad C.

Watch: Explorer / GMT IIc
My first Rolex I bought at an AD. My next Rolex I will buy from a respected dealer here. My next watch will be a new GMT IIc. You can find them here BNIB with your name on the warranty card, etc. for a steep discount. Why would I not want to save $800 or so dollars? That is pretty tough to pass up, IMO.

There is a significant mark up on Rolex watches - I think people on this forum have estimated 30% - 40%. Those selling the watches here are still making good money and I would wager to guess they are selling at a much greater volume than most ADs.
Chad C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2011, 02:10 AM   #42
slcbbrown
"TRF" Member

Watch: 50's TT t-bird
watch expert?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alettiere View Post
Hey guys, I’ve been saving for my first (and only) Rolex purchase for a few months now and am about halfway there. After debating between a classic Sub and Sub-C , I have my heart set on the ceramic.

As I’ve gotten closer to being able to make my purchase, I’ve been dropping by a few ADs in my area to just “test the waters” and get a general idea of what I’ll be having to shell out cash-wise, as well as trying on the various watches that have sparked my interest.

It seems that prices on TRF are better when making comparisons to the AD. Not drastically better, but definitely more appealing. Unfortunately, when I talk “discounts” with the ADs, they offer nothing. In fact, they offer no real incentive for me to purchase other than the usual sales scare tactic about “prices going up next week” and discussing their financing option if I wanted to go that route instead of paying all at once (which is my preferred method). I find their refusal to mildly negotiate to be a little unusual, but have been told that unless you’re a regular, don’t expect to walk in and get any accommodations. Although, maybe the fact that I admit that I’m still in the process of saving and not showing up with the intent to purchase right then and there doesn’t give them the motivation to attempt to work with me.

It seems that TRF is the way to go if you’re wanting to get the best price, although I’m wondering, are there any disadvantages to this? If a seller is reputable and the price is right, why would I bother spending a little more at an AD? The warranty (provided it’s available) should still be intact and transferable, right? Does it really just boil down to not being able to run to the AD where I purchased it if problems were to arise?

Ultimately, my goal is to be able to purchase when I hit 7K – which seems doable when I frequently browse TRF. At a local AD in my area? Not so doable. Is it really worth the extra dollar to go with an AD and pay their full price? Hell, the sales tax alone makes me want to hurl!
If you are already knowledgeable about expensive watches and this is your first Rolex, there isn't much reason to buy from an AD. For a new model like the ceramic Rolex, the AD's probably see them first and might have a better selection.

If you don't know much about watches, at all, doing business with an AD is very comforting and requires nothing from you but the money. A strong AD could have their own service dept, which can be nice, later on. Otherwise, they all send to RSC and the AD contributes nothing except some handling. You can send to RSC, yourself.

As far as a discount, I would find it odd for an AD to discount the newest model.

Last edited by slcbbrown; 29 January 2011 at 02:11 AM.. Reason: spellig
slcbbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2011, 02:28 AM   #43
Tunacan26
Banned

Watch: Hulk, DJ, Bluesy
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalip View Post
Hi -
You can get a brand new Rolex...with your name on the card...from the trusted sellers here. All warranties are in place in any case. Any Rolex Service centre will service and deal with any Rolex watch..bought from an associated/attached AD or not.

If it were me - I'd go with the trusted sellers here..without doubt. I didn't on my 1st purchases..but have had 5 transactions since and saved a lot of money.

Sounds like you're well on your way to the SubC....!!!!
X2.
Tunacan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2011, 02:34 AM   #44
witch watch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss GV
On my more expensive watches i have i went three ways to get them,boutique,GD,AD and my advise would be if you can save a substantial amount by going GD then that's the way to go UNLESS you honestly believe that you will purchase more in the future, especially if it's a hard to get model as a good rapport with an AD can go a long way in that respect.
witch watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2011, 03:15 AM   #45
tfduff723
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega 4 Me
Quote:
What's in it for some of these guys though? The regular sellers on here who have great reps and are constantly selling watches for good prices? How do they turn a profit? Do they just have THAT good of a connection with an AD to where they can acquire things for lower prices?
I have to admit I have often wondered this myself.

I am not trying to start a fire here but... I also wonder how non ADs continually come across brand spanking new Rolexes that are still wrapped in the box with stickers, open warranty cards, etc....?

Contrary to many reported experiences I have a pretty good relationship with an AD. It a jeweler that my wife & I have a long history with beyond just watches (ie engagement ring, etc...) Anyway, as a result I have learned a bit over the years about Rolex policies. As far as I know an AD would lose their license if they were caught selling inventory to a non retail customer. Part of the buying process includes the AD filling out your warranty card. That is done so that the buyer is covered but it also provides the AD proof of retail sale if it is ever needed.

So what channels are these brand new watches coming through? Again, I am not challenging anyone's integrity here just seeking to understand.

Of course this post will probably get flamed
tfduff723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2011, 03:19 AM   #46
MortgageGuy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by CashGap View Post
I hear this often, and I must be missing a responsive gene or something. I never feel ANYTHING when I'm paying someone to be nice to me... Not even for a moment do I think "Wow, champagne... They must really like me!". It seems so obvious..."I am overpaying by $XXX so they are dribbling $y back on me to numb the pain of overpayment... I am paying them to act friendly."

But then again, my wife has pointed out that I'm part of the .1% that dislikes lingerie, so I must be the oddball on this one too.

I dont think the AD likes me either I have received discounts from AD's in the 30%+ range and I am NOT talking about new old stock... I am talking BNIB V and Random serial watches, both SS (24% off was my max) and TT (32% off was my max)... Where is there a better deal than this??? Where??? Buying from an AD is tops, the champagne is even better IMO but I dont even drink alcohol... Why not have someone give me the royal treatment, get a 30%+ discount, no tax and some free goodies...am I missing something here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio View Post
If you paid one of the TRF sellers full MSRP instead of their discounted rates, I'm sure they'd be willing to take you to dinner/strip club/Disney land and send a thank you card.

I would NEVER pay full price, If that was the trade off I would always go grey but this is unfortunately not the case... Lets face it folks the economy stinks and if you have ANY negotiation skills you can easilly get 10-15% off from an AD 15-30% if you are great... if one says no just ask another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevarn View Post
To me, these perks just don't justify the thousands of dollars more you're likely to pay at an AD. Save your money and go with one of the trusted sellers here and buy your own champagne. You can splurge and buy a bottle of Dom Perignon (which is a much higher quality bottle than the dealer will open for you) and still save a bunch in the long run.
Actually I would lose $$$ if I had bought my last few watches grey not to mention no goodies...champagne... The Ad's I deal with I have bought about 12 watches from (combined) in the last 12 months... it is set pricing, no haggeling... I get the discount I am looking for, dont pay tax and the goodies to boot... Sounds better than waiting for a Fed Ex to me.

Again, there are AWESOME sellers here I dont mean to slam anyone, I have bought several watches here on TRF because frankly my AD cannot get me a Pepsi... Sd... or the like. The OP's question was for his first Rolex should they go to an AD and I say YES! Find a good AD that will give you a good discount and you can do just as good as TRF. Build a relationship, buy some watches from them over they years and you will beat TRF... Thats what the TRF sellers have is AMAZING relationships with AD's thats why they can offer such amazing deals to all of us
Old 29 January 2011, 03:34 AM   #47
tripleC
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer II
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio View Post
Lol. Who pays full price anyway hit up a trf member.
tripleC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2011, 03:45 AM   #48
Chipmunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEXES
What is more important for you......getting a good discount or an AD Experience?
Some AD's have no Experience.

Chipmunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2011, 04:30 AM   #49
solesik
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkongkelley View Post
The only AD I'd ever buy from is called DavidSW.

Just my two cents.
x2
solesik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2011, 04:33 AM   #50
mtrunner
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126508 Paul Newman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipmunk View Post
What is more important for you......getting a good discount or an AD Experience?
Some AD's have no Experience.

This is very true. You can probably get great deals from an AD in certain parts of the country. Adam (MortgageGuy) has had a great experience with his AD! Unfortunately that isn't going to happen here in NYC. The AD experience here in NYC is terrible not to mention very little discounting and an insanely high tax bill to boot.
mtrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2011, 05:03 AM   #51
Lion
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710 PEPSI
Go with the seller who makes you comfortable. There are many great gray dealers here on TRF and there are many good Ad's out there as well. My first one I bought from my local AD(didn't know about TRF) and got 13% off for a first ever purchase from the jewelry store. My second one I bought from them as well and got 20% off so there are AD's who will discount.....you just have to find them. Otherwise buy from here on TRF and have confidence that respected gray dealers will meet your needs!!!

SS GMT-II 16710 PEPSI(Z-serial#)
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MEN AND BOYS IS THE PRICE OF THE TOYS!!!
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Doue Silver Barley
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Solitaire Doue Signum
Proud Card Carrying Member of the Curmudgeons.....Yikes!!!
Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2011, 05:17 AM   #52
garGARgar
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion View Post
Go with the seller who makes you comfortable. There are many great gray dealers here on TRF and there are many good Ad's out there as well. My first one I bought from my local AD(didn't know about TRF) and got 13% off for a first ever purchase from the jewelry store. My second one I bought from them as well and got 20% off so there are AD's who will discount.....you just have to find them. Otherwise buy from here on TRF and have confidence that respected gray dealers will meet your needs!!!
Agreed. Just go with whoever you are more comfortable with. I doubt you'll regret either way.
Old 29 January 2011, 05:29 AM   #53
karmatp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Has anyone ever played the TRF card at the AD? I'm curious as to what their responses are to justify purchasing from an AD. Does TRF get a bad rap from the ADs?

If I said, "Well, I can get a Sub-C for X amount of dollars at a TRF - so why should I purchase from you instead?" What would they say? That I run the risk of buying a fake?

Ad's don't care about TRF, because AD's feel like they have more to offer. With the AD you will get your name on the card, the joy of walking into a local store and walking out with a new Rolex, (which I think is worth something, it's a amazing feeling), extended warranty (3 years), and 100% satisfaction that you are buying a authentic Rolex. With buying second hand or online, you might be buying a fake, a stolen Rolex or one that was illegally brought into the states without a AD stamp, (Rolex will not warranty these by the way).

Another thing that gets me is that many local AD's will deal if you can negotiate with them, except for the large chains it seems. I have often purchased Rolex watches for much less than the going rate here on TRF, the deals are good but not that good.

With that said, there are some great sellers here on TRF that you can deal with without troubles, BUT, for your one and only Rolex purchase for life, go with the AD experience.

You are local to me so I will shoot you a pm, you'll have your new
Rolex in no time, great choice on the Sub C by the way.
Old 29 January 2011, 05:57 AM   #54
Gottog

Money talks.

Money talks. When you're ready to buy and show cash in hand, no AD will let you walk out empty-handed due to a strict discount policy. 1%?! 2%?? They'll give it to you.
Gottog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2011, 05:59 AM   #55
duckdown
"TRF" Member

Watch: d a t e j u s t 2
I'm looking at buying via DavidSW but the "royal treatment" sounds nice too! If only the AD's around here were as flexible with their pricing

What am I buying next? I want a solid 18k gold Rolex.
Got a great deal I should know about within my budget? Tell me!!
duckdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2011, 06:21 AM   #56
m5blitzer

Yes, DavidSW is great! And yes, buying your 1st watch at an AD is also great!!!
Old 29 January 2011, 06:32 AM   #57
CashGap
"TRF" Member

I have to say, no AD can offer the experience level available on-line.

My iPad is a great place from which to shop for a Rolex, a Gibson guitar, an Infiniti, a BMW and any number of other fine products.

I haven't found a jewelry store as comfortable as my den, maybe I'm shopping in the wrong cities.

I shouldn't say no AD can offer that experience, they can, and would if not for the prohibitions in the dealer agreement.

This article today How Sales Has Changed in the Information Age covers some of what the manufacturers are fighting, though the article has a B2B focus.
CashGap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2011, 08:11 AM   #58
AIKO
"TRF" Member

You cannot lose either way. I have dealt with TRF (DavidSw) and happend to find the best deal from my AD last week on my Sub LV ceramic. They quoted me much lower prices than I have seen on the boards. But that may be because I paid w/cash bought a pair of expensive earings from them for my wife.
AIKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2011, 08:13 AM   #59
m5blitzer

@ AIKO - Go Steelers!!!
Old 29 January 2011, 08:27 AM   #60
Traveler

There are only 3 TRF sellers I would buy from. Otherwise, BNIB from an Authorized Rolex Dealer only..in both cases ONLY with my name on the original Rolex warranty card/papers.
Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote