The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 15 January 2019, 01:51 AM   #121
Erpin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex DRSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekno View Post
Did you watch it fall on the sofa? If you didn’t and found it on the couch I can imagine your heart stopped for a minute... Im glad you found it, and ordered a bezel to wear. I didn’t realize how fragile the bake bezels were until I got curious a few nights ago and did some research.

I hope your enjoying the watch! You should post some wrist shots in the “Pepsi Only” thread and trip everyone out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It sort of grazed my hand when it came loose. Just lucky cuz if that happened some place else it could have gotten lost or damaged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Erpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2019, 01:55 AM   #122
tekno
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Snowflake
Something else to consider, you probably know this but the aluminum inserts fit too, you could get the earliest issue aluminum insert to alternate.

tekno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2019, 02:00 AM   #123
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekno View Post
Something else to consider, you probably know this but the aluminum inserts fit too, you could get the earliest issue aluminum insert to alternate.

True. But, Eric, was it the insert only that fell out, or the entire bezel with insert. If it was the latter, even a replica bakelite replacement or aluminum insert, will still not solve the problem of the bezel falling off that easily. I'd absolutely see why that happened.
Kingface66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2019, 05:32 AM   #124
southtexas
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erpin View Post
It sort of grazed my hand when it came loose. Just lucky cuz if that happened some place else it could have gotten lost or damaged.

Wow very lucky indeed!

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2019, 11:39 AM   #125
Erpin
"TRF" Member

As an update, I sent the watch to the Rolex Heritage Department in Geneva and after a 45 minute inspection and disassembly, they accepted my watch for general overhaul and repair if any. I was informed that if they found any part not authentic to the watch, they will not accept it for servicing. They will not touch the dial, bezel and hands. Only the movement will be serviced. It will take them 8 months at a minimum cost of 8,000 Swiss Francs. A complete report including authentication will also be furnished by Rolex after work on my watch has been finished. Can't wait to see it.
Old 27 May 2019, 01:05 PM   #126
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
As an update, I sent the watch to the Rolex Heritage Department in Geneva and after a 45 minute inspection and disassembly, they accepted my watch for general overhaul and repair if any. I was informed that if they found any part not authentic to the watch, they will not accept it for servicing. They will not touch the dial, bezel and hands. Only the movement will be serviced. It will take them 8 months at a minimum cost of 8,000 Swiss Francs. A complete report including authentication will also be furnished by Rolex after work on my watch has been finished. Can't wait to see it.
Excellent!
Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2019, 01:09 PM   #127
05carbondrz
Banned

Quote:
8K for a movement service?
05carbondrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2019, 02:34 PM   #128
oysterquartz17000
Banned

Watch: Submariner 16803
Will RSC be able to secure the insert or at least determine why it fell out? I am getting cold sweats just thinking about losing something like that.
oysterquartz17000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2019, 02:45 PM   #129
Erpin
"TRF" Member

They are aware of the problem and will do what is necessary to ensure that the bezel wont fall off again.

Old 27 May 2019, 03:46 PM   #130
HarryLime
"TRF" Member

Quote:
WOW, on several fronts! Can't wait to see the before and after pics.
HarryLime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2019, 04:25 PM   #131
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
Did you have doubts regarding the watch or why do you want to pay 8k for a simple service and the extra wait?
Old 27 May 2019, 04:37 PM   #132
Erpin
"TRF" Member

Both. Get a factory service and to remove all doubts about the authenticity of the watch. Anyway, the mere fact that they accepted it for servicing is already an assurance that the watch is original in every aspect. Like i said, the Heritage department specifically mentioned that if any part is not original, they will not accept the watch for servicing.

Old 27 May 2019, 07:55 PM   #133
waspy1
Banned

I’m sure a Rolex service by the heritage department will add at least the value of the service to the resale value of the watch. As long as nothing visible is changed. I’m quite surprised they will give it back to you with the ‘dangerous’ radium bezel insert since they famously tried to have them all returned in the early 60s. Maybe this one was already changed for tritium?

waspy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2019, 08:22 PM   #134
Erpin
"TRF" Member

Still radium based on the geiger counter reading.

Old 27 May 2019, 11:30 PM   #135
ADINVA
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Almost USD8000 for a servicing on the movement only....and the paperwork to authenticate the watch....very pricey indeed.
ADINVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2019, 03:54 AM   #136
05carbondrz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by waspy1 View Post
I’m sure a Rolex service by the heritage department will add at least the value of the service to the resale value of the watch. As long as nothing visible is changed. I’m quite surprised they will give it back to you with the ‘dangerous’ radium bezel insert since they famously tried to have them all returned in the early 60s. Maybe this one was already changed for tritium?

I doubt it,Most high end vintage buyers don’t need Rolex HQ to sign off on a Piece...They know every detail.
05carbondrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2019, 05:35 AM   #137
waspy1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05carbondrz View Post
I doubt it,Most high end vintage buyers don’t need Rolex HQ to sign off on a Piece...They know every detail.

I understand, but this is a 6 figure watch. Given the amount of funny business going on in the ‘high end’ of the market, 8k is a small amount for a little piece of mind.

waspy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2019, 08:47 AM   #138
Erpin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waspy1 View Post
I understand, but this is a 6 figure watch. Given the amount of funny business going on in the ‘high end’ of the market, 8k is a small amount for a little piece of mind.

You are right about that given the number of high priced vintage Rolex watches with questionable authenticity.

Old 28 May 2019, 10:29 AM   #139
Wiener48
Banned

Like it, congrets, well bought!
Wiener48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2019, 11:47 PM   #140
southtexas
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05carbondrz View Post

This one isn’t exactly a run of the mill gmt with comparable pieces readily available on the Internet.

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2019, 09:25 AM   #141
Icross
"TRF" Member

Nice!

Icross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2019, 01:15 PM   #142
Styles Bitchley
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680
Call me a romantic but there’s something nice about a Rolex making the trip full circle back to Geneva after all these years.

Styles Bitchley is offline   Reply With Quote