The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 January 2019, 04:24 PM   #1
In-Cog-Neeto
"TRF" Member

Pelagos Owners

Was it love at first sight or something which grew on you?

Any comparison to the Rolex divers?
In-Cog-Neeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 08:35 PM   #2
rod442
"TRF" Member

The pelagos has always been love at first sight. I had lusted after a Tudor Sub for so long when prices were low, and always figured I had time to get one whenever. fast forward to 6-7 years ago (more?) and the prices jumped so much that I couldn't justify one.

In comes the pelagos which ticks most of my boxes. Different than a rolex, reasonably priced, I like that its Ti, snowflake hands, at the time it was also a better clasp, etc. Then when they brought out the in house movement plus one in blue, I was sold. Just had to wait until the right one came up for sale, and I jumped on it.

I quite like talking watches and several people have asked about it, and its more interesting to me to be able to talk about it being different than Rolex. Plus it doesn't carry as much of the "sometimes" negative impressions that certain people get.

Don't mistake me, I'm not hating on Rolex. I have since bought a ND sub, and really really really want a bluesy. I just have to wrap my head around giving up 2-3 pieces to get one.
rod442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 10:00 PM   #3
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
First sight, even better in person than photos! I know some don’t like it, the matte dial with the bold white markers set it apart from others for me. The bezel action is fantastic.
I’m not usually a titanium watch guy, but this still has plenty of heft and the dull, brushed ti finish is great. Great size. Awesome watch!
Old 16 January 2019, 10:08 PM   #4
Hendrikus
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: All of them...
So I am a huge fan of the Pelagos.

I would put that praise in to the context of (i) owning Rolex Submariners (x 3) and GMT (x 2) and (ii) this not being a general pro-Tudor view. By this second comment I mean that whilst I like the Tudor range and brand positioning, I find the Pelagos personally to be so much more than other Tudors I have tried and owned including the sought after Pepsi GMT. I will most probably move the Pepsi GMT on at some point, whereas the Pelagos will be going nowhere ever.

The clasp is incredible, it is the most comfortable watch I have period, and the Titanium strap is great - as is the rubber. It feels like two watches, not one. I think some people struggle with the matte dial (which I have in the blue) but I love it, and it sets it apart from really any other watch. In terms of value for money paid, the Pelagos is rivalled only by Nomos Club x Ace Amsterdam - incredible amount of watch for your (in my case) pounds.
Old 16 January 2019, 10:13 PM   #5
rudestew
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD SD43 Mk1 50TH
Just so forward for its time , a diver you can really use . Easy to read easy to wear .
rudestew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 10:17 PM   #6
lord91
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
My bro has a Pelagos. He discovered it and fell in love with it when he decided he wanted a lume bezel diver.

This past holidays we got together, first time he's seen my Sub and i could try his Pelagos.

He only said that mine was too shiny for a tool watch.

Being made from Ti, i immediately noticed the lighter weight of the Pelagos, something my brother also had to accommodate to after he got it. I was surprised that at 42 mm, it didn't over wear my skinny 7'' wrist. The case back of the Pelagos is slightly slimmer, and despite the tall case, the watch settles nicely on the wrist. However, for me it was no contest to which is more beautiful and wears more nicely, the Sub is an eye candy. The bezel on the Pelagos also makes a nice safe lock kinda sound, not as crisp as Sub's bezel, but compared to Submariner's 12o clicks, it was more of a mono vs stereo comparison. Time accuracy on the Pelagos was also great, if i remember correctly it was running at no slower than -1/day.

This is pretty much my comparo between the two.
lord91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 10:20 PM   #7
pandrew
"TRF" Member

Watch: Meteorite Daytona
For me, The Blue is to Blue, the white markers are to bright. The LHD is just right.
I was looking for a just right watch for Holiday time and an upcoming cruise, the Pelagos LHD fit the bill nicely.
It is a dive watch, it is a tool watch unlike the Rolex Sub (my opinion) the Pelagos does not work as a dress watch or something that goes with a suit. The Pelagos is a big watch but not to large, not to heavy, just right for a holiday timepiece. The Lume is the best I have seen on a watch. I really liked the watch when I bought it and it has grown on me ever since.
pandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 10:37 PM   #8
jps3b
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116619
I bought one because it was it was an amazing watch. Especially for the price. I really love blue dials/watches. I dunno. Just drawn to them. The lume is unparalleled to any Rolex and it’s very comfortable. I would still have mine except I traded it for the Smurf. For me, the two blues were just to similar to keep the two. And WG...c’mon
jps3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 10:43 PM   #9
SkyJuice
"TRF" Member

For me, it sort of like the love grew every single day. Can't praise enough on the lume and easy to read dial. It is easy on my ageing eyesight too.
SkyJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 12:38 AM   #10
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
It was love at first sight for me. Not from the pics, b/c when the watch was released I was like, meh..but then I saw one in the display case.

I'll never forget walking by the window display in NYC and seeing one...it literally stopped me in my tracks.

Tried one on a couple of years later and knew I had to have it. Hooked ever since.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 01:48 AM   #11
Flstfirider
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Tudor
I have owned many watches to include Rolex, JLC, Panerai, Breitling, and Sinn. My Pelagos is my favorite among all of them and receives the most wrist time. It checks so many boxes for me!
Flstfirider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 01:51 AM   #12
In-Cog-Neeto
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
It was love at first sight for me. Not from the pics, b/c when the watch was released I was like, meh..but then I saw one in the display case.

I'll never forget walking by the window display in NYC and seeing one...it literally stopped me in my tracks.

Tried one on a couple of years later and knew I had to have it. Hooked ever since.
This is how I see it’s gonna go for me.......damn it

Great feedback fellas. Appreciate it
In-Cog-Neeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 01:55 AM   #13
Bulldog21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona/BLRO/SkyD
Love at first sight! I purchased it without ever seeing in person, or trying one on.

Wore it a month or so, and for me I did not like the weight. Some people love how light it is, not me, I like the heft of a watch!
Bulldog21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 08:20 AM   #14
lawrence1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flstfirider View Post
I have owned many watches to include Rolex, JLC, Panerai, Breitling, and Sinn. My Pelagos is my favorite among all of them and receives the most wrist time. It checks so many boxes for me!
Ditto. A solid workhorse that is severely under-appreciated. Not to mention the accuracy of this in house mov't, which is second to none and on par with my BLNR.
lawrence1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 08:25 AM   #15
japenney
"TRF" Member

Watch: undecided
It was lume at first sight.
Old 17 January 2019, 08:27 AM   #16
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by In-Cog-Neeto View Post
This is how I see it’s gonna go for me.......damn it

Great feedback fellas. Appreciate it
Good luck!
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2019, 05:42 AM   #17
Batchelor22
"TRF" Member

Just picked up a Pelagos, pretty happy with it thus far. The weight and comfort of the bracelet are definite pluses.
Batchelor22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2019, 05:51 AM   #18
Scanspeakman
"TRF" Member

Love my blue Pelagos. Awesome watch. Also loving switching every couple days with my GMT master II.

Scanspeakman
Scanspeakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2019, 08:20 AM   #19
Batchelor22
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batchelor22 View Post
Just picked up a Pelagos, pretty happy with it thus far. The weight and comfort of the bracelet are definite pluses.

And here it is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg FA49C1A8-6F8D-4AA9-8E30-9190A84E8534.jpeg (96.7 KB, 639 views)
Batchelor22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2019, 08:58 AM   #20
tufty
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ II, Exp II
love it, got the eta version as it has a cleaner dial extra lume at 3 o'clock, only worn it on the rubber strap....feels great on the wrist, my most casual piece, great summer watch...thinking of adding the blue at some point!!, actually one of my fav pieces!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pelagos car.jpg (100.5 KB, 614 views)
tufty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2019, 09:34 AM   #21
sillo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 Digit
Can't add my opinion since I don't own one, but I love this watch and would absolutely own one if it fit my wrist. Very jealous of all you guys who can rock one.

@TheGMTHand
sillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2019, 12:46 PM   #22
JRT
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex BLNR
The invincible lume on the blue dial and bezel gave me the first strong impression when the Pelagos issued in 2015 Basel.
JRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 07:39 PM   #23
Hoppyjr
"TRF" Member

Good size, titanium construction, great lume, Triplock crown, adjustable clasp = winner!

The only thing I would have liked to see is either an aluminum bezel insert or a solid engraved bezel, no ceramic. We’ve seen a few now with lume falling out of the bezel and I think a metal bezel insert or solid bezel is a better match for the character of this watch. While the lumed ceramic bezel insert looks good, it’s also the only part of the watch that I worry about.
Hoppyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 08:05 PM   #24
rajurama
"TRF" Member

Watch: amacallit
I will just let my photos do the talking and my various straps :)

EnjoyIMG_20190216_130842.jpegIMG_20190216_130825.jpegIMG_20190216_125559.jpegIMG_20190216_125547.jpegIMG_20180614_122821.jpegIMG_20171111_131154.jpegIMG_20171126_003000.jpeg

Sent from my Z2121 using Tapatalk
Old 18 February 2019, 08:59 PM   #25
Rhythm King
"TRF" Member

For me, the stark, super legible dial stood out right away. After learning more about the easily adjustable bracelet clasp, the 12 o' clock bezel indent, super smooth ball bearing bezel action, ridiculous lume ... I was sold. Got myself an LHD, and I've been very happy with it. Running -1.1 seconds per day.

Rhythm King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 10:04 PM   #26
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
The Pelagos in blue was love at first sight. It is an amazing watch and does everything a diver should do for me. The titanium case, dial, bezel and amazing bracelet add up to a lot of watch for the money.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 10:04 PM   #27
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
I treat mine like a G-shock: mountain biking, swimming, work around the house. Anything heavy would start to get in the way. The matte finish can get a little beat up and I won't care.

I have the 2-line but if I were shopping for another I'd get the LHD.
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 11:26 PM   #28
Nothingfancy01
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub Date
All of the pelagos look great... don’t ha e one yet but would say I’m leaning towards the LHD..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nothingfancy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 01:10 AM   #29
SPMN
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Omega
I was very “meh” about the Pelagos, and hated the LHD when I saw it online. The indices looked shockingly yellow in online pictures, and the watch just looked boring and utilitarian.

As soon as I saw it in person I loved it though. The indices don’t come across as yellow in person, really just an off white that softens the dial. The texture on the dial is beautiful in its own way.

It’s remarkably comfortable, extremely legible, incredibly accurate, and has stopped my lust for any other dive watch. This is the diver for me, and has been my daily wearer since November ‘17.

The Pelagos is also the top of the line Tudor in my opinion. Their only titanium watch, their only watch with a lumed bezel, their only watch with the advanced bracelet, their deepest depth rating. They really put all their technical expertise towards this piece, and I really appreciate that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SPMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 10:34 PM   #30
Proteinshake86
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT MasterII
I dont have one...but am thinking about picking one up. I really like the blue, but I want to utilize the rubber strap, and I think the blue rubber strap is a bit too much. I would just put it on a black rubber strap but i think it looks weird with the blue face. hmmmm
Proteinshake86 is offline   Reply With Quote