The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 15 January 2023, 01:37 PM   #1
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Chrono24 Reliability

In the past I’ve purchased only from an AD, however now I’m looking at some models listed on Chrono24.

The website lists some watches as Brand New, no signs of wear, box, papers.

Can anyone offer their comments on past experiences with Chrono24? Satisfying? Problems? Pitfalls or issues to watch out for? Thanks
Jack T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2023, 02:02 PM   #2
Inseconds99
"TRF" Member

I’m interested as well. I always tend to sort by country, condition, papers/box and Chrono protection.

If I do all of those things and pay through the escrow service, am I g2g no matter what?
Inseconds99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2023, 01:45 AM   #3
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack T View Post
In the past I’ve purchased only from an AD, however now I’m looking at some models listed on Chrono24.

The website lists some watches as Brand New, no signs of wear, box, papers.

Can anyone offer their comments on past experiences with Chrono24? Satisfying? Problems? Pitfalls or issues to watch out for? Thanks

I bought a new Omega through them once doing that and everything was fine.
Sent using Tapatalk
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2023, 01:48 AM   #4
Thegrants82
"TRF" Member

Have used them one time and everything was fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thegrants82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2023, 02:34 AM   #5
wesdaniel
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Varies
As poster above said, each Chrono24 listing is only as good as the seller. Use the escrow, investigate the seller and make sure they're legit, ask your questions up front.
wesdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2023, 03:10 AM   #6
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
The description is made by the seller, you don’t buy from chrono but from individuals
It is no different than buying a watch in a parking lot.

Use your common sense like anywhere else
Old 16 January 2023, 03:14 AM   #7
Trailboss516
"TRF" Member

Watch: It's complicated
"brand new" is categorically false unless you are buying from the manufacturer or authorized dealer directly. Every word and description is up to the decision and interpretation of the seller. Don't assume your definition of a word like "mint" or "like new" is the same as theirs.

Good luck.
Trailboss516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2023, 05:29 AM   #8
Cliffnopus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 126621 Yacht
I bought my 126621 chocolate YM through Chrono24 (actually was WATCHLIMIT). Had no issues.
Old 16 January 2023, 05:35 AM   #9
Inseconds99
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
The description is made by the seller, you don’t buy from chrono but from individuals

Use your common sense like anywhere else

Wouldn’t you compare buying off Chrono to buying off eBay? They offer protections on your purchase if you use their payment protection method, no?
Old 16 January 2023, 01:58 PM   #10
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
do

Quote:
Originally Posted by zengineer View Post
Chrono24 owns and sells nothing other than a service. Definitely use only the escrow they provide and dig as much as you can I to the actual seller.

I bought a new Omega through them once doing that and everything was fine.
Sent using Tapatalk
I’m not familiar with these resellers, they are from all over, Japan, HK, UK and the US. Where does one find their credentials or customer reviews?
Old 16 January 2023, 07:04 PM   #11
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inseconds99 View Post
Wouldn’t you compare buying off Chrono to buying off eBay? They offer protections on your purchase if you use their payment protection method, no?
Yes, and undoubtedly there are good sellers on chrono. Still you need to know what you are buying and how it is described.
On their platform everybody is a trusted seller and in the same time quite some franken watches are on offer. How does that work out I don’t know and don’t want to find out with my money.

Buying an expensive watch on ebay is a big no for me. Some unknown expert will check your watch fwiw. And what if the expert is mistaken ?

Personally I buy only from sellers with tons of positive feedback on watch forums who own a brick and mortar shop as well.
You pay more with them but in return zero headaches.
Old 31 January 2023, 05:26 AM   #12
LeonidYrc
Banned

Watch: Daytona
If you received fake watches from chrono24 you never return your escrow payment,my bitter expirience.
LeonidYrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 05:37 AM   #13
Inseconds99
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonidYrc View Post
If you received fake watches from chrono24 you never return your escrow payment,my bitter expirience.

They kept your money and you received a fake? Please elaborate.
Old 31 January 2023, 07:53 AM   #14
Ferrari308
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona,GMT,Sub,DJ
I had a good experience getting my Submariner through Chrono24. No problems whatsoever.

PDG
Ferrari308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 09:12 PM   #15
1st amg

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Just buy from the TRF trusted sellers/sponsors.
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 09:14 PM   #16
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st amg View Post
X2. We have such a wealth of great sellers right here
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2023, 09:56 PM   #17
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st amg View Post
This is not a hard concept.

Sure, if the stars align, it may be possible to save a few bucks with a riskier transaction.

But it is also possible to get stung.

When you average everything out, you get what you pay for.

Was recently talking with the GM of my AD after I purchased my 114060 (for the second time). As indicated, they also sell preowned watches. Their stock comes from customer trades and sells, which are vetted by their watchmaker. Top condition is key, for their stock and also the watches he buys for his personal collection. He stated that he had been following a hard to find watch for his personal collection and was thinking about pulling the trigger. Guess where. Ebay? Moda? Chrono24? Nope, DSW.

Buy the seller.
Old 1 February 2023, 12:25 AM   #18
Maleg
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
You take a risk when not buying from an AD or manufacturer boutique. Always investigate the seller in detail. There is wealth of experience in this forum and others at your fingertips. If no one has experience with a seller you take a huge risk being the first buyer. Chrono24 offers a protection service that unfortunately is not 100% protective. You may be better off dealing direct with Chrono24 sellers who have excellent reputations.

I have purchased from several sellers who advertise in the TRF classifieds. The risk with the famous sellers here is paying well above current market value. YMMV
Maleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2023, 04:17 AM   #19
Yobrooks
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP
I've found Watchbox and ewc all to be easy to deal with, decent prices and guaranteed

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Yobrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2023, 08:25 PM   #20
GlinKaDeN
"TRF" Member

Only best experience on chrono24!
GlinKaDeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2023, 08:49 PM   #21
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Seller quality seems to vary dramatically. FWIW, I've noticed some ADs sell on C24. I would imagine they would likely deliver a product as-advertised given their reputation is linked to the transaction.
Gab27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2023, 10:22 PM   #22
Ali Lari
"TRF" Member

I did happen to reach them out a day or so before regarding a matter of my concern.

I explained to them that to list a watch for sale (as per there website) I need to include ABA routing number which isnt even a thing where I come from we only have IBANS. they kept stalling and asking for my email to answer this typical question. doesnt make any sense, how does me having a registered account help answering this qustion?. at the time I was not a registered member hence, I told them I was not a member yet but if that by any means help I will register and I DID. yet they still didnt reply. so thats that for me lool.
Ali Lari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2023, 11:34 PM   #23
rolex_pl85
Banned

Never bought anything from Chrono24 as its more expensive. I did hear good things about it though.
rolex_pl85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2023, 11:40 PM   #24
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Bought a used GMT II 116713 there for $11k. Chrono was fine but buy the seller. The case was a little over polished in person. Thankfully given the market that would ensue it was traded for a sea dweller without a loss.
Old 2 February 2023, 11:43 PM   #25
LeonidYrc
Banned

Quote:
Yes, they did make a refund to the seller because I was unable to provide some unclear paperwork to verify this. As I checked, authorized dealers don't issue such certificates of authenticity. And the watchmakers, who also confirm that it is not the original, can provide a report, but it is not good enough for chrono24. It seems, they can't figure out what they actually want. Be sure: if you happen to fall for a non-original, you will never get your money back. Escrow service only guarantees that you receive a tracking number from the seller, while the parcel may even have a brick inside, and you won’t be able to prove anything.
Old 2 February 2023, 11:52 PM   #26
LeonidYrc
Banned

Quote:
Yes, they did make a refund to the seller because I was unable to provide some unclear paperwork to verify this. As I checked, authorized dealers don't issue such certificates of authenticity. And the watchmakers, who also confirm that it is not the original, can provide a report, but it is not good enough for chrono24. It seems, they can't figure out what they actually want. Be sure: if you happen to fall for a non-original, you will never get your money back. Escrow service only guarantees that you receive a tracking number from the seller, while the parcel may even have a brick inside, and you won’t be able to prove ANYTHING.
Old 3 February 2023, 04:56 AM   #27
LeonidYrc
Banned

Quote:
Yes, they did make a refund to the seller because I was unable to provide some unclear paperwork to verify this. As I checked, authorized dealers don't issue such certificates of authenticity. And the watchmakers, who also confirm that it is not the original, can provide a report, but it is not good enough for chrono24. It seems, they can't figure out what they actually want. Be sure: if you happen to fall for a non-original, you will never get your money back. Escrow service only guarantees that you receive a tracking number from the seller, while the parcel may even have a brick inside, and you won’t be able to prove anything.
Old 21 February 2023, 11:55 AM   #28
chronolux
"TRF" Member

It's a glorified eBay but with that being said, it's legit and they have a 14-day money back guarantee.
chronolux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2023, 11:03 PM   #29
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
LOL on that, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonidYrc View Post
Escrow service only guarantees that you receive a tracking number from the seller, while the parcel may even have a brick inside, and you won’t be able to prove anything.
That happened to a friend of mine once on eBay buying motorcycle parts.

My personal experience with C24, just recently I inquired about a piece "contact for price" and the response two days later was "out of stock". As other threads have discussed, so often these sellers list things for sale that they don't actually have. If they haven't gotten it yet, then how can they accurately described the condition? Even if BNIB, how many hands has it gone through?

I listed a watch for sale there once, sold it elsewhere, and then had to email and beg them not to charge me the commission for the sale, since when you cancel the ad they presume that it is sold. It worked out, but it was unnecessary stress. They may have changed the business model since then and require payment to list something, I don't know.

I don't get a real warm feeling about the site and the people that sell there, I have to admit.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2023, 05:37 AM   #30
emtee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailboss516 View Post
"brand new" is categorically false unless you are buying from the manufacturer or authorized dealer directly. Every word and description is up to the decision and interpretation of the seller. Don't assume your definition of a word like "mint" or "like new" is the same as theirs.

Good luck.
Both times I bought brand new watches at a significant discount from C24 they came direct and stamped dated a few days prior from ADs located in mainland Europe. One even put my name on the warranty card. This was before Brexit mind you.
emtee is offline   Reply With Quote