The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 5 February 2023, 04:20 AM   #31
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy E View Post
No way!!! Nurburgring is freaking amazing!! I have had the opportunity to do that with the BMW group twice. Such a great time. Do you ever get to drive it at all? Have you ever done the Ring Taxi deal? My understanding it that opens to the public every day at 5. Is that accurate?
It is a great place, have done the taxi twice with friends, never lapped it as a driver. Open most days indeed, it is a toll road after all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
Isn’t there a Hertz or Budget car rental there? Rentals post good times too.
You can definitely rent cars to track
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2023, 07:49 AM   #32
Jon D
"TRF" Member

Cayman is the way I’d go, look for one already prepped makes life much easier. Rennlist is a good starting place
Jon D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2023, 09:30 AM   #33
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
It is a great place, have done the taxi twice with friends, never lapped it as a driver. Open most days indeed, it is a toll road after all

You can definitely rent cars to track
Nothings faster than a rental.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2023, 09:52 AM   #34
Caracal25
"TRF" Member

Stumbled upon this thread and enjoyed the read. We have a warehouse full of track day cars:

2011 Mazda 2 with BSPEC race suspension, header and exhaust
1999 Miata with Spec Miata suspension and a roll bar
2000 Porsche GT3 with a half cage and Ohlins coiulovers
2004 Panoz Esperante GTS race car
2017 Honda Fit BSPEC (won the 2019 SCCA National Championship)
2019 Mclaren 600LT Coupe

We've tracked all of them and they're all fun in their own way. Two years ago we decided that we wanted to start racing and bought two SCCA Spec Racer Ford Gen3's. They're anywhere form $30,000 used up to $80,000 new. We built 2 and the experience is so much more fun than the track days. There are some extra expenses but it really isn't that bad. There are multiple routes to getting a competition license and it can be done in a weekend. The maintenance is pretty easy and there are usually prep shops that will take care of that for you.

I know it's not what the OP was looking at but for the money he's looking to spend he can go racing instead of just lapping.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg r6m29165.JPG (74.3 KB, 191 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2627.jpg (152.0 KB, 193 views)
Caracal25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2023, 11:13 AM   #35
7sins
"TRF" Member

Can't believe all these recs and no one mentioned a Lotus Elise! The inline 4 is incredibly reliable, comes from a camry and can take an absolute beating at the track. Easy to add power and the power to weight ratio, short of a custom race car, will be the best of any mass produced car with exceedingly better aesthetics than a miata. Sits quite low, drives incredibly well on the track with a supercharger or small turbo, fun t-top and IMO best value under $50k, would stretch for an Exige (without question a future collectible given low production) if you can.

Richard Mille RG RM030 || Richard Mille RM72ti || AP 26240 50TH Green Royal Oak Chrono || AP Royal Oak Blue JUMBO SS 15202ST || AP ROO Diver Green 15720ST || ♕ Rolex Platinum Daytona Diamond 116506 || Cartier Santos
7sins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2023, 01:23 PM   #36
Easy E
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7sins View Post
Can't believe all these recs and no one mentioned a Lotus Elise! The inline 4 is incredibly reliable, comes from a camry and can take an absolute beating at the track. Easy to add power and the power to weight ratio, short of a custom race car, will be the best of any mass produced car with exceedingly better aesthetics than a miata. Sits quite low, drives incredibly well on the track with a supercharger or small turbo, fun t-top and IMO best value under $50k, would stretch for an Exige (without question a future collectible given low production) if you can.

Interesting suggestion. I’m going to look into this. Any idea on max driver size?
Easy E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2023, 01:24 PM   #37
Easy E

To anyone suggesting the Cayman, any idea if tall people can fit?
Old 6 February 2023, 02:23 PM   #38
7sins
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Interesting suggestion. I’m going to look into this. Any idea on max driver size?
No idea max size, I am 6'2 and slender or aerodynamic you could say and fit fine. A tighter fit in the exige, this one is priced well and right at your budget: https://www.autozin.com/for-sale/lot...#carid=1525611.
Richard Mille RG RM030 || Richard Mille RM72ti || AP 26240 50TH Green Royal Oak Chrono || AP Royal Oak Blue JUMBO SS 15202ST || AP ROO Diver Green 15720ST || ♕ Rolex Platinum Daytona Diamond 116506 || Cartier Santos
7sins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2023, 03:36 PM   #39
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
For most generally any hire car.
Moondoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2023, 04:29 PM   #40
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7sins View Post

Some of us are 370lbs
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2023, 01:40 AM   #41
eddie_b
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610LV
I was actually just going to post that I will be selling my 2009 Elise with a factory supercharger soon and was also surprised nobody mentioned it but 7Sins beat me to it.

You'll have to do a bit of research into the size situation but I'm in the Jacksonville area so not too far from Atlanta. If you're ever this way you're more than welcome to sit in and drive it. My asking price is slightly under your $50k budget.

I've had a lot of cars over the last 10 years years (911s, 4C, 355, ZR1, Vipers, etc.) and none of them come close to the purity of the Elise from a driver's experience. Even the 4C which is considered lightweight feels heavy compared to the Elise (around 27-2800 lbs vs 2k for the Elise).
eddie_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2023, 01:58 AM   #42
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

E36 M3, maybe even E46. E36 parts are relatively inexpensive now, easy to work on and plenty fast. E46 a step up but parts are a bit more and car is overall harder to work on. Both well within your budget and known issues can be addressed. Both very track worthy and can even race if/when you get to that stage.
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2023, 03:17 AM   #43
tifosi
"TRF" Member

I'm not sure if you would consider FWD, but if you would I'd recommend the Honda Civic TypeR (FK8 or newer FL5). I have done many track days in my 2018 FK8 and it's a blast.
Old 7 February 2023, 04:07 AM   #44
Old Geezer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126619LB and more
Quote:
I’d do a Miata in an instant, but I’m 6’4”. Not a great fit.
There are some big people over on Miata.net having all kinds of fun with Miatas for track days and autocrosses. Get yourself a soft top Miata, install roll bar, grab a helmet and go racing on the cheap
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2023, 05:15 AM   #45
Easy E

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post
I'm not sure if you would consider FWD, but if you would I'd recommend the Honda Civic TypeR (FK8 or newer FL5). I have done many track days in my 2018 FK8 and it's a blast.
I am not morally opposed to FWD. I just don't have any real experience with such. I have read a little bit about the Type R and none of it bad. Seems like that may be worth a look.
Old 7 February 2023, 05:27 AM   #46
Easy E

Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
E36 M3, maybe even E46. E36 parts are relatively inexpensive now, easy to work on and plenty fast. E46 a step up but parts are a bit more and car is overall harder to work on. Both well within your budget and known issues can be addressed. Both very track worthy and can even race if/when you get to that stage.
I had a line on a fully built SpecE46, but the ding dong sold it off. That ding dong was my brother. Went something like this:
Me: What are going to do with the E46?
Bro: IDK, probably just going to get rid of it.
Me: Cool, let me know, I may be interested.
2 months later
Me: Where's the Bimmer?
Bro: Oh, yeah, I sold it off, got $45k for it.
Me: Thanks

He did indicate that it was pricey car to have worked on.
Old 7 February 2023, 05:54 AM   #47
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I had a line on a fully built SpecE46, but the ding dong sold it off. That ding dong was my brother. Went something like this:
Me: What are going to do with the E46?
Bro: IDK, probably just going to get rid of it.
Me: Cool, let me know, I may be interested.
2 months later
Me: Where's the Bimmer?
Bro: Oh, yeah, I sold it off, got $45k for it.
Me: Thanks

He did indicate that it was pricey car to have worked on.
Yeah, E46 are more than E36 for sure. But in the world of track cars/race cars, not bad. And beauty of SE36 or SE46, or even NASA GTS cars is that you can just do track days and if you decide you want to race, you can. I suppose same could be said for SM or SSM but they are just so damn slow. Raced one, big field which is fun. But man, they are so damn slow.
Old 7 February 2023, 06:06 AM   #48
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Geezer View Post
There are some big people over on Miata.net having all kinds of fun with Miatas for track days and autocrosses. Get yourself a soft top Miata, install roll bar, grab a helmet and go racing on the cheap
^^^ this

Always remember, don't track a car that is not 100% 'disposable'. In other words, you go on track, and while you are 100% fine the car gets TOTALLED and it is not your fault.

You can walk away without any worries whatsoever of the 100% loss of the car and the spare tires and bits you now have laying around.

FYI, at HPDE events I've seen crashes and totals. Everything from seeing a customer's brand new Lotus being driven by the dealer as a 'shake out' that got blendered at WGI to a vintage Ferrari Barchetta in front of me that oversteered going up the boot and slammed into the right wall (thankfully I chose going left and missed 'em by a few feet).

So remember, it's all 100% disposable.

PS: Get HANS device.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2023, 06:19 AM   #49
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
To anyone suggesting the Cayman, any idea if tall people can fit?
I am 6'4 and fit in 981/982 no problem but 987 was too small.

Other than that I agree with those saying that the E36 M3 is a great track car that is fairly cheap to maintain and get patched up in case of a mishap. Buddy has a Coupe with cage and all that he has taken to Hockenheim and Nürburgring quite a bit. Not 100% sure which engine but believe 3.0 / 286 hp.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2023, 06:24 AM   #50
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

If your budget (if you have a budget at all) is ~50K, I do not think Cayman should even be in the conversation. Just consumables alone are way too expensive, let alone any sort of crash damage. Bad idea. As said above, if you arent prepared to put it in the bin, don't track it. It can happen and may not even be your fault. In fact, probably wont be.
Old 7 February 2023, 06:42 AM   #51
Easy E

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
^^^ this

Always remember, don't track a car that is not 100% 'disposable'. In other words, you go on track, and while you are 100% fine the car gets TOTALLED and it is not your fault.

You can walk away without any worries whatsoever of the 100% loss of the car and the spare tires and bits you now have laying around.

FYI, at HPDE events I've seen crashes and totals. Everything from seeing a customer's brand new Lotus being driven by the dealer as a 'shake out' that got blendered at WGI to a vintage Ferrari Barchetta in front of me that oversteered going up the boot and slammed into the right wall (thankfully I chose going left and missed 'em by a few feet).

So remember, it's all 100% disposable.

PS: Get HANS device.
Agreed on all points. While it is certainly not my intention, I understand in a moment a car can get wadded right up. This is precisely why I don't really want to run my M2. Whatever I can get set up will have a proper seat, full harness, HANs on the head... to keep the head.
Old 7 February 2023, 07:01 AM   #52
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 Daytona Blusy
It all depends on how fast you want to go.

Momentum cars are great for learning and racing others who are highly skilled for not much money. The issues is that the usual suspects such as the Miata for someone that is 6'4" may not work out well.

The BMW E36 M3 has been a constant in track dedicated toys - stripped out, light weight, handles amazing, but only 240 hp and it's getting long in the tooth for parts.

Porsche Cayman is a great choice if you can source one that is already set up for the track. Don't bother trying to get a donor car and build a race car because it'll always cost 4X what an already built car costs. Also, PDK tranny is an issue with heat soak if it doesn't have the aftermarket coolers to make it run right. Manual transmissions are perfectly fine.

Corvette C5, C6 are incredibly affordable with a lot of cheap parts available. Faster than the others mentioned so cheap parts such as brake pads, rotor are a consideration. Tires on the other hand will cost more than running a lighter, smaller momentum car.

If you don't already have a truck to tow with, then that's a consideration. Flat, aluminum, open trailer is the way to go with a tire rack on the front (above the hood of the car when on trailer) is the best set up because you will need additional sets of wheels, fuel jugs, etc.

Keep us posted on what direction you went.
SDGT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2023, 02:43 PM   #53
yitbos76
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega Bond Aqua Te
Consider a spec boxster. Full on track car with all necessary safety equipment. It will be all set up for trackdays!
yitbos76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2023, 03:19 PM   #54
muskaroxs
"TRF" Member

C6 corvette will be the best option at 6’4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
muskaroxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2023, 03:25 PM   #55
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

My buddy who has a 911s4 has a 2019 Ford Fiesta ST for his “beater” track car, if that helps.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2023, 01:08 AM   #56
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post
I've owned the M2, a little disappointing on the track. I also had a 2019 Mustang GT and it's a great little street car (OK not little) but way too many compromises for the track. You'll spend a fortune getting it properly set up. Upside is that parts are very plentiful and cheap compared to BMW.
The parts and mechanic availability weighs in for the Mustang, that and a brutal V8. Can you give a little more info on the compromises you mentioned?
Sorry, my bad. On re-reading my post, I forgot that I had a base GT, not the PP (Performance Package) option. That is a much better platform to start with for a track car. Better/larger brakes, suspension tuning, air management (brake cooling) and differential ratio. From reading the forums, the real problem is when you start adding power, which illuminates other shortcomings.

Still, I was able to get a lot of good OE or aftermarket parts either used or new at decent (compared to BMW) prices, and sold everything for either what I paid for it (used) or didn't get too badly hurt for the stuff I bought new.

FWIW, I chose the non-PP car because it was not a dedicated track car, rather about 10% of the time it was on the track. Slightly lower number for the M4... so for me, street/daily livability was and still is more important. I drive my cars to the track now, I don't tow.

I did have a dedicated track-only Corvette years ago, which means that (in 90s dollars) I spent about $16K getting it all prepped and another $35K on truck, trailer, etc. I basically ruined the car for the street (insanely loud and ridiculously uncomfortable) but it was a beast on the track.

I had a blast with that car, but rarely did a weekend go by when I wasn't struggling with something to fix, modify, adjust or just deal with, because nothing was OE. That was a C4. The C7 is something that you could get and track with nothing more than new brake pads.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2023, 03:44 PM   #57
Easy E

Quote:
Sorry, my bad. On re-reading my post, I forgot that I had a base GT, not the PP (Performance Package) option. That is a much better platform to start with for a track car. Better/larger brakes, suspension tuning, air management (brake cooling) and differential ratio. From reading the forums, the real problem is when you start adding power, which illuminates other shortcomings.

Still, I was able to get a lot of good OE or aftermarket parts either used or new at decent (compared to BMW) prices, and sold everything for either what I paid for it (used) or didn't get too badly hurt for the stuff I bought new.

FWIW, I chose the non-PP car because it was not a dedicated track car, rather about 10% of the time it was on the track. Slightly lower number for the M4... so for me, street/daily livability was and still is more important. I drive my cars to the track now, I don't tow.

I did have a dedicated track-only Corvette years ago, which means that (in 90s dollars) I spent about $16K getting it all prepped and another $35K on truck, trailer, etc. I basically ruined the car for the street (insanely loud and ridiculously uncomfortable) but it was a beast on the track.

I had a blast with that car, but rarely did a weekend go by when I wasn't struggling with something to fix, modify, adjust or just deal with, because nothing was OE. That was a C4. The C7 is something that you could get and track with nothing more than new brake pads.
Makes sense, thanks. A C7 would be awesome, but pretty much annihilates my budget and potentially me - i’m not unrealistic about my skill level. As for the stang, I’ve thought it was a good platform to start with. Although the weight is something I am unsure about. Seems like tires, brakes, fuel become a huge issue. I have only ever given the Mustang a test drive at street level, so not sure about how comfortable I am with it at track speed. I like the thought of a Mustang, just not sure I want to drop coin on one.
Old 10 February 2023, 11:41 PM   #58
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:
Makes sense, thanks. A C7 would be awesome, but pretty much annihilates my budget and potentially me - i’m not unrealistic about my skill level. As for the stang, I’ve thought it was a good platform to start with. Although the weight is something I am unsure about. Seems like tires, brakes, fuel become a huge issue. I have only ever given the Mustang a test drive at street level, so not sure about how comfortable I am with it at track speed. I like the thought of a Mustang, just not sure I want to drop coin on one.
Big heavy cars are going to eat tires until you put on camber plates, will destroy pads until you put on dedicated track pads and will go through some serious gas, but all track cars will do that. It doesn't matter if it's domestic or European, those are just facts.

Mustangs also have a bad rep and poor image, largely due to the typically less-than-mature owners who like to peel out of cars & coffee events, fishtail, lose control and take out some spectators, parked cars, trees, etc.

Corvettes used to have a bad rep because 99% of owners were midlife crisis fat guys covered in gold chains, but the cars have gotten so good that I think a lot of that is history.

And BMWs, of course, are like porcupines, except that the pricks are on the inside.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2023, 12:20 AM   #59
Tricolore66
"TRF" Member

Agree. The ship has sailed for inexpensive Caymans, and they aren’t any cheaper than 911’s to track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
If your budget (if you have a budget at all) is ~50K, I do not think Cayman should even be in the conversation. Just consumables alone are way too expensive, let alone any sort of crash damage. Bad idea. As said above, if you arent prepared to put it in the bin, don't track it. It can happen and may not even be your fault. In fact, probably wont be.
Tricolore66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2023, 01:21 AM   #60
Easy E

Quote:
And BMWs, of course, are like porcupines, except that the pricks are on the inside.
Good one.....oh wait, I own a BMW, that's not funny anymore.

In all seriousness, I don't completely disagree. I just like my M2C.