The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Breitling Discussion Forum

Old 20 August 2022, 03:29 AM   #1
Kimpearsonusa
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex President
Breitling sabotaged my B-1 watch

Breitling service department sabotaged my B-1 watch

The last two (2) times I sent my watch to Breitling for a battery change they charged me $540 for a complete service. So this year I took it to my local watch shop to just replace the battery. The jeweler could not get the back off. Said thought it had lock tight on the threads. So when I sent it into Breitling in Connecticut they wanted the $540 again. When I asked only for the battery replacement and to not put lock tight on the back plate, they told me there would be no warranty if the watch has issues later. I agreed.

The day after I got the watch back from them I took it back to my local guy to make sure he could get the back off. We found that they had put some type of sand in the watch and took out my o-ring. See the attached photos. I have the emails back and forth with them that in fact the o-ring should have been reinstalled. They said they didn’t know anything about the sand. Any reasonable person would know that even if that much debris could have gotten into the watch over the years it would not have been exactly the same consistency and color.

I watched him open the watch and when he turned the back over all of the sand but a grain or two fell out. I have never seen such a despicable act by such a large and respected company. They pretty much told me to go away and have tried to block me from the Breitling Forum.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_6291.jpeg (151.4 KB, 673 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_6292.jpeg (233.8 KB, 670 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_6293.jpeg (216.4 KB, 678 views)
Kimpearsonusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2022, 03:48 AM   #2
-RolexMan-
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT 2C
Talk about a hose job.....thats some downright shadiness if ive ever seen any from a watch company.

Also, why are they asking for another $540 just a year after you had it serviced? Their business must be way down if theyre pulling crap like this stuff.

Another thing is, if the economy keeps declining, we will see a lot more shadiness going around from other places we didnt expect.
-RolexMan- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2022, 03:51 AM   #3
collarcity
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570, 14060M
What in the world?
collarcity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2022, 03:52 AM   #4
Kimpearsonusa
"TRF" Member

It had been four or five years between battery changes. Sorry if I was not clear on that. I also have a Rolex President and I know a lot of Rolex owners also have Breitling and other watches.

I am like you, totally disgusted that would do this and want everyone to know. I will never own another Breitling
Old 20 August 2022, 04:04 AM   #5
swils8610
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Wow…incredible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2022, 04:08 AM   #6
ltmgeller

Watch: Rolex
Thats wild
Old 20 August 2022, 10:29 AM   #7
Cryten
"TRF" Member

What are we looking at in the photos?

Photo 1&2 sand in the case back
Photo 3 a clean case back.

If that is your watch maker's bench, you need a new watch maker.

That looks like a worn out bubling vinyl bench. No watch maker would ever open a watch on a surface like that.
Cryten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2022, 10:46 AM   #8
Kimpearsonusa
"TRF" Member

That is not his work bench. It is a foam pad he laid the watch on after he open it.
He is a Russian master craftsman of 40 years who has my complete confidence
Old 20 August 2022, 10:51 AM   #9
Rebel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Sub 75090
Wow.
Old 20 August 2022, 01:21 PM   #10
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

Terrible busa service attitude made me swear off the brand years ago but sadly they are not alone...
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2022, 12:54 AM   #11
Booth9999
"TRF" Member

That is complete trash. Did you try to talk to customer service?
Booth9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2022, 02:49 AM   #12
Kimpearsonusa
"TRF" Member

Terrible busa service attitude made me swear off the brand years ago but sadly they are not alone...

I have had this watch since 2007 and always loved it. But now I am thinking about abandoning the watch if I could find something I liked at a brand I could trust!

Kim
Old 21 August 2022, 03:47 AM   #13
bcyk
"TRF" Member

Oh wow!
bcyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2022, 07:51 AM   #14
RolexUwe
"TRF" Member

I am not jumping in to believe everything I have read here. I'm thinking why, why, WHY would this occur? Never had a single bad experience with Breitling and I've owned countless models over the years. Have had TOP NOTCH SERVICE, never a bad experience.
And no, their business is "not way down," it's way up - read the financials. Sorry, not to offend you, but I don't have a linear assembly of facts to support that this is a true event. I don't believe this happened.
RolexUwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2022, 08:14 AM   #15
JRedford
"TRF" Member

Count me in the group that finds these claims dubious.
Tired of lying in the sunshine, staying home to watch the rain You are young and life is long, and there is time to kill today And then one day you find ten years have got behind you No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun
JRedford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2022, 08:59 AM   #16
77T

I’m guessing that you have a B1 by your bracelet and the need for a battery?

With the caseback having an openwork design, there’s lots of space to hold sand that’ll never get into your movement. It is nothing more than a clamping device for the hidden inner caseback that sits underneath.

My guess is someone wore it to the beach after servicing and putting a new battery into the movement.

The method is to observe the watch after a service. During that observation period the watchmaker is the prime culprit. He wanted to impress the girls?

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2022, 09:54 AM   #17
bonovox
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your time
I would think one of the last things that would be in abundance in a watch repair facility is sand. Don't know what to think OP, keep us posted.
bonovox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2022, 10:42 AM   #18
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
Oh my, wow, indeed. Please keep us posted here as I don't think I've heard of anything like this happening before. So sorry you're having to deal with this.
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2022, 05:46 AM   #19
Kimpearsonusa
"TRF" Member

ROLEX UWE
And JRedford,

It is totally your rite to believe me or not, but I have absolutely no reason to lie. As some background I am a college educated airline pilot. Hence the B-1 with the open back. I have always had good service from BUSA too……….as long as I paid the money for a complete service. As I don’t wear the watch in the shower or swimming I decided to only have the battery exchanged this time. This is when my problems started.

I received the watch back from the service dept in Connecticut and opened the package. Since I was wearing one of my other watches at the time I put it on the nightstand. The next day after lunch I put the B-1 on and drove to my watch guy about 25 minutes away to make sure he could get the back off in anticipation of the next battery change. This is when he opened it and we saw the debris inside. I understand the back resembles a jet engine intake and stuff could get inside but it would not have all been the same color or the same consistency so I am relatively confident this is not 5 years worth of collective dirt.
Also the fact that after we examined it he turned the case back upside down and all but a grain or two fell freely out.

I had three or four emails back and forth with the service dept that I felt were mostly non-responsive trying to determine if in fact this watch should have had a gasket (o-ring) installed, after my phone call to the lady there was met with a totally dismissive attitude. I would be glad to copy and paste them here if it would alley your doubts.
Old 22 August 2022, 06:24 AM   #20
JRedford
"TRF" Member

Fair enough, if so Breitling should fix and make right.
Tired of lying in the sunshine, staying home to watch the rain You are young and life is long, and there is time to kill today And then one day you find ten years have got behind you No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun
JRedford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2022, 06:35 AM   #21
Kimpearsonusa
"TRF" Member

Icon7

Thank you Sir, but I’m not holding my breath that it will ever happen. They were very dismissive in both landline voice calls and in emails.

Who knows maybe the watch technician did have an enjoyable day at the beach!!

Kim
Old 22 August 2022, 06:48 AM   #22
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

So, essentially what's happened here is that you informed Breitling customer service that you didn't want a full service, but just a battery change. They said "No Warranty" would be extended from this replacement and that if something came up, then it would not be covered..etc. You agreed.

So, sometime after BUSA informed the repair center that you declined "service" and wanted to have a battery change only, someone in that department was so angered by your service refusal that, even though they did but a new battery in the watch, they then removed your gasket o-ring and then filled the secondary case back with sand in order to sabotage your watch because you refused a full service?
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2022, 07:06 AM   #23
Kimpearsonusa
"TRF" Member

I am saying that is a viable explanation that accounts for what I saw with my own eyes. If you can come up with another explanation I sure would be interested in hearing it.

I’m just stating what was said and what I saw. Either way I am as you can tell Very Disappointed………..
Old 22 August 2022, 09:38 AM   #24
bonovox
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your time
"Also the fact that after we examined it he turned the case back upside down and all but a grain or two fell freely out."

This is what I don't get, wouldn't the caseback have come off upside down?
bonovox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2022, 03:17 AM   #25
Isochronous
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimpearsonusa View Post
ROLEX UWE
And JRedford,

It is totally your rite to believe me or not,
After my experience with the same facility I do believe you. Something funny is going on at Breitling's service center. They said I had a dented bezel on a watch I sent them. The watch, Chrono-matic 49, A1436002/Q556.146A, has a rubber bezel. Read their reviews on neutral sites.

This is my story about an $850 service.
Isochronous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2022, 07:11 AM   #26
77T

Breitling sabotaged my B-1 watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimpearsonusa View Post
Who knows maybe the watch technician did have an enjoyable day at the beach!!

Kim

That’s my story and I’m sticking to it!

But I also thought of a more inane explanation.

After replacing the battery, and during reassembly, some knucklehead scratched your outer caseback.

Same knucklehead used different grits of sand paper to remove the scratches while the caseback was still on the midcase.

Same knucklehead then ran rouge onto the polishing wheel and gave it a bright finish.

But the sand from the sandpaper remained in-between the outer, slotted screwdown caseback and the solid inner caseback.

I do not think anyone at the service center would purposefully sabotage your watch. (See Occam’s Razor)

My latest theory takes some latitude, but it is also more likely than my earlier “watchmaker beach day theory.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2022, 06:10 AM   #27
HouseOfTyrian
Banned

just unbelievable
HouseOfTyrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2022, 03:41 AM   #28
Kimpearsonusa
"TRF" Member

OK what I assumed would happen did. Have been very careful to not get my B1 wet etc. This morning I have condensation inside the crystal. Should I put it in a bag of dry rice or use a hairdryer or heat gut to dry it out. I sure don’t want to have a water spot form on the inside of the crystal.

Also does anyone know who besides Breitling in Connecticut I could get to service it. I will sell the watch before I send it back to them again!

Thanks in advance for any insight guys,

Kim
Old 23 November 2022, 07:33 AM   #29
Anthony Boccardo
"TRF" Member

Breitling also has service centers in Miami, and Lombard, Illinois
Anthony Boccardo is offline   Reply With Quote