The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 31 January 2023, 11:55 PM   #61
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHIslander View Post
Still not drinking. However, I started dipping Cope again last year. Started from hanging out with my old college baseball buddies last October and it got to about a can every three days by Christmas. Quitting dip has been horribly difficult. Don’t remember it being the hard when I quit first time in the 80s.

Oh man. You’re telling me. I used to be a can a day kind of guy. Quit for 4 months and it’s been two cans a day ever since.

Worst thing I ever did was start dipping.

Hope you can kick it soon!!

Sent from my Apple privacy invasion product
MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2023, 12:10 AM   #62
Maleg
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Quote:
Still not drinking. However, I started dipping Cope again last year. Started from hanging out with my old college baseball buddies last October and it got to about a can every three days by Christmas. Quitting dip has been horribly difficult. Don’t remember it being the hard when I quit first time in the 80s.
It was that hard, you just don’t remember. I was two to three tins a day 30 years ago when I quit. I vaguely remember it was pretty hard the first six weeks.
Maleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2023, 12:38 AM   #63
Star Ferry
Banned

Another month in the books. I beat my urges the right way: by trolling TRF.
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2023, 01:27 AM   #64
Beo3
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Too Many
The month has been pretty easy for me. I am going to keep on going until February 6, as I have my annual blood draw that morning. I am just curious to see if my blood work comes out substantially better then it normally is.

February 7th I'm going to a concert and I am certain that I will be having a few before the show.

To all that have made it this far, congratulations. Your livers thank you!
Beo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2023, 01:29 AM   #65
HHIslander
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoat View Post
Oh man. You’re telling me. I used to be a can a day kind of guy. Quit for 4 months and it’s been two cans a day ever since.

Worst thing I ever did was start dipping.

Hope you can kick it soon!!

Sent from my Apple privacy invasion product

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maleg View Post
It was that hard, you just don’t remember. I was two to three tins a day 30 years ago when I quit. I vaguely remember it was pretty hard the first six weeks.
Thanks very much guys. I feel like less of a weak willed wimp. It’s been 4 weeks and 4 days, the cravings are still there but are trending down.

HHIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2023, 02:24 AM   #66
mikea
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex and AP
I practiced restraint with drinking in January but purchased 2 watches....so focused lack of discipline elsewhere
Old 1 February 2023, 02:25 AM   #67
Black Bay Dan
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay
Two days to go (I started on 03 Jan when my sons went back to school). Been a long long five weeks!

Dan
Black Bay Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2023, 05:24 AM   #68
Ferdelious
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk/SD4K/SeaQ/P39
Made it through the month and haven't felt this good in a while. I don't want to go back to old habits so I think I'll keep it going.
Old 1 February 2023, 05:29 AM   #69
Ferdelious
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Have you tried nicotine pouches like On or ZYN? They seem like a safer alternative to dip, I've been doing them for a couple years now.
Old 1 February 2023, 05:38 AM   #70
HERITAGE82
"TRF" Member

Now that dry January is ending it’s time for frosty February in time for the Super Bowl …
- Breitling Chronomat - 10th Anniv.
- Huguenin Freres Speedmaster Prototype
HERITAGE82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2023, 07:00 AM   #71
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
My time off has resulted in a real exit from boozing.

I had two occasions recently where I decided to celebrate. The audit ending being one of them. The other was much more somber.

On both occasions I decided I simply don’t enjoy it anymore. And the dirty feeling I got, lasted into the next morning and beyond. I’m almost disappointed about it. I was hoping I could enjoy a few drinks from time to time.

Part of the challenge though, with feeling better during dry January, is you eventually find that new equilibrium. Once that sets in, things become a bit boring again. The great feeling just feels normal. Then you drink, and you just feel worse. At least this is my experience.

I decided to quit reefer too. That was actually easy. I just stopped. Had one night, one of the drinking nights, where I took a hit or two, and I simply didn’t like that either.

So I’m done. And I’m bored. But it’s better than feeling like crap. My skin is better, and all the benefits I had mentioned before have remained but mostly leveled off.

I do take a certain pride in that I quit successfully. I love going out with customers and watching them drink. It’s a powerful feeling knowing you can do what most cannot.

Now it’s just a focus on health.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2023, 07:55 AM   #72
Ferdelious
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
My time off has resulted in a real exit from boozing.

I had two occasions recently where I decided to celebrate. The audit ending being one of them. The other was much more somber.

On both occasions I decided I simply don’t enjoy it anymore. And the dirty feeling I got, lasted into the next morning and beyond. I’m almost disappointed about it. I was hoping I could enjoy a few drinks from time to time.

Part of the challenge though, with feeling better during dry January, is you eventually find that new equilibrium. Once that sets in, things become a bit boring again. The great feeling just feels normal. Then you drink, and you just feel worse. At least this is my experience.

I decided to quit reefer too. That was actually easy. I just stopped. Had one night, one of the drinking nights, where I took a hit or two, and I simply didn’t like that either.

So I’m done. And I’m bored. But it’s better than feeling like crap. My skin is better, and all the benefits I had mentioned before have remained but mostly leveled off.

I do take a certain pride in that I quit successfully. I love going out with customers and watching them drink. It’s a powerful feeling knowing you can do what most cannot.

Now it’s just a focus on health.
Love to hear it Seth. I share your feelings and actually have anxiety about drinking again.

Sober life is bit mundane but there is nothing better than waking up every morning feeling normal.
Old 1 February 2023, 08:23 AM   #73
JParm
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes!
Focusing on health is clutch. Nothing like waking up in the morning to hit the gym (i.e. get it out of the way) before the work day begins, eating (somewhat) healthy and drinking only when "necessary".
JParm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2023, 09:31 AM   #74
Star Ferry
Banned

Being sober is extremely boring — that is true. But in the long run, drinking to avoid feeling bored carries a lot of risk and downsides. I think everyone needs to figure out for themselves what to do. I don’t look down on people who drink again after their Dry January, but I do hope they’ve thought it through properly and will be safe going forward.
Old 1 February 2023, 11:56 AM   #75
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Drinking was affecting my sleep so I haven’t really had to urge to go back this time. I know I will but in prior dry months it was practically a celebration at the end now I’m indifferent as I don’t want to feel uneasy sleeping.
Old 1 February 2023, 12:09 PM   #76
Trailboss516
"TRF" Member

Watch: It's complicated
Glad to see others here staying dry and feeling good about it.
I'm 2 years and 4 months in, and am excited with each month that passes.

I don't think being sober is boring, when I see other people drunk, it reminds me of why I am pleased with my choice.
Trailboss516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2023, 12:15 PM   #77
wantonebad

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
I started Jan 2nd so I'm going until Saturday, and going to start with only drinking one night a week and see what that gets me. 5 Weeks and lost 15 pounds... Hard not to notice that and realize the tradeoff drinking can be if it gets excessive or obsessive.
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2023, 12:24 PM   #78
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
I don't drink alcohol but to honor all of your guys (fantastic) efforts I am going to give up something for one month; mastu-

Oh... uhm... never mind.
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2023, 12:44 PM   #79
Maleg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
I don't drink alcohol but to honor all of your guys (fantastic) efforts I am going to give up something for one month; mastu-

Oh... uhm... never mind.
You can buy Tumi again tomorrow.
Old 1 February 2023, 12:46 PM   #80
Maleg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
Being sober is extremely boring — that is true. But in the long run, drinking to avoid feeling bored carries a lot of risk and downsides. I think everyone needs to figure out for themselves what to do. I don’t look down on people who drink again after their Dry January, but I do hope they’ve thought it through properly and will be safe going forward.
If sober is boring you need better hobbies. Just sayin’.
Old 1 February 2023, 12:50 PM   #81
rmlovett1

Watch: YTBD
For me, it’ll be 8 yrs in June. Like I have said before…I don’t regret drinking, just regret that I didn’t quit sooner. I’m not bored at all, I still enjoy the feeling of being “present” at all times. Watching people drink, especially too much, is fine with me and many times entertaining! Quitting made me a better, more confident person without a doubt! Not to mention my mind is always clear, my workouts are better, and my body is better at 54 than when is was a college baseball player in the late 80’s.
rmlovett1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2023, 10:12 PM   #82
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
If sober is boring you need better hobbies. Just sayin’.
Incorrect.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2023, 11:26 PM   #83
HHIslander
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferdelious View Post
Have you tried nicotine pouches like On or ZYN? They seem like a safer alternative to dip, I've been doing them for a couple years now.

Did not even know such a thing as nicotine pouches existed. If I had known, I would have tried that. Next time I get hooked on dip, I’ll know what to do…thanks..
HHIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2023, 12:02 AM   #84
Maleg
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Did not even know such a thing as nicotine pouches existed. If I had known, I would have tried that. Next time I get hooked on dip, I’ll know what to do…thanks..
You are better off skipping nicotine altogether. Look at it as wasted misery. You’ve invested all this misery overcoming the addiction. Going back to nicotine throws that investment in the trash.
Old 2 February 2023, 12:23 AM   #85
Tricolore66
"TRF" Member

I did not participate in Dry January, however I’m contemplating doing Blackout February.
Tricolore66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2023, 12:23 AM   #86
Maleg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Incorrect.
Not so. Get out of your alcohol fueled malaise. Expend your horizons. Explore. There is life outside of the bottle. You will find it once you choose to leave the booze behind.
Old 2 February 2023, 12:32 AM   #87
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Not so. Get out of your alcohol fueled malaise. Expend your horizons. Explore. There is life outside of the bottle. You will find it once you choose to leave the booze behind.
I meant sitting around, doing nothing, sober is (for me) much more boring than with chemical assistance. For example, bad movies and blowout sports games — those are tougher to take (for me) sober.

Practically, I don’t spend much time sitting around doing nothing, but when I do, yeah, it’d be nice to have something to take the edge off.
Old 2 February 2023, 12:44 AM   #88
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I like to have a couple pilsners while cooking dinner. Only problem is that I will do that whether I am cooking or not lol and then on the weekend a couple turns into 4-6 and within a few months I am drinking 3-4 on a weeknight. I am never drunk but sure enjoy getting a buzz and keeping it. I don't drink before dinner time but that hasn't stopped me from gaining weight or abusing alcohol by all accounts. I have scaled back in the last couple years as I have a toddler and worry about the optics from his perspective. Even so I don't like the optics of me having 2 beers a day at dinner time. If I can drink with my wife only I will be fine. She manages to have 2 maybe 3 drinks a week. For now the plan is to stay dry until I am back to my college weight which would require 2 more months by my estimates.
Old 2 February 2023, 01:02 AM   #89
Maleg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
I meant sitting around, doing nothing, sober is (for me) much more boring than with chemical assistance. For example, bad movies and blowout sports games — those are tougher to take (for me) sober.

Practically, I don’t spend much time sitting around doing nothing, but when I do, yeah, it’d be nice to have something to take the edge off.
In the years of alcohol (ab)use people lose the ability to respond appropriately to a lot of every day emotions and situational responses. For many people that stay off the sauce it comes back with time and new experiences. Some people do need to replace the chemical dependance with another, more healthy dependence. Everyone is different.

The take away is that sobriety is the best path for alcoholics. Time spent away from the booze allows one to recognize all the excuses that they used to justify their drinking.

Dry January isn’t all alcoholism. Plenty of folks only drink heavily due to all the holiday gatherings. January is a good long month to get back to normal. And having a dry January gives us all the opportunity to support each other in a cause.
Old 2 February 2023, 01:10 AM   #90
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
In the years of alcohol (ab)use people lose the ability to respond appropriately to a lot of every day emotions and situational responses. For many people that stay off the sauce it comes back with time and new experiences. Some people do need to replace the chemical dependance with another, more healthy dependence. Everyone is different.

The take away is that sobriety is the best path for alcoholics. Time spent away from the booze allows one to recognize all the excuses that they used to justify their drinking.

Dry January isn’t all alcoholism. Plenty of folks only drink heavily due to all the holiday gatherings. January is a good long month to get back to normal. And having a dry January gives us all the opportunity to support each other in a cause.
I wasn’t actually doing Dry January. I already don’t drink. But co-sign most of above — Alcohol over time can make it harder to enjoy things without alcohol. As for what constitutes an “alcoholic” I think that’s a loaded term that inevitably leads to quibbling over who really counts as one.