The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 3 February 2023, 07:09 AM   #91
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
Well I went up last night to take a look and took it out for a spin. I really liked it. I did not buy it on the spot because I sort of have a rule that I don't buy cars the day I look at them. I don't like to be rushed, and they were closing an hour after I arrived.

But yeah it was a sweet ride. It has the 401A package that I really wanted with the electronic dash. Also has the adaptive exhaust option which was a total blast to mess with. I was surprised how easy it was to drive. That has to be the smoothest manual transmission I've ever used. The rev matching took a little getting use to while downshifting LOL (it can be turned off). The interior was great and modern. Seats seemed comfortable.

The only thing I wasn't 100% on was the color. I originally thought it was black in the photos. Turns out it is actual antimatter blue metalic. Anyone have any experience with this color? Looked nearly black outside at night. In their garage bag surrounded by flourescent lights it took on a slight purple hue. I still haven't seen it in natural daylight.

Anyway I told him I either wanted to come back and look at the car during the day, or I'd scower the internet for photos and videos of that car and color and give him an answer today. He said I could complete the purchase electronically and pick it up next week if I choose - I'm off Monday.

What do you guys think?

no brainer dude. this is a really great car. and it ticks off all your boxes.

you are a stronger man than I am. I too dont like to be rushed. however, if I found the needle in the haystack, I would reach for it.

I had one of these a few years ago. they are truly awesome machines. great American muscle.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2023, 07:14 AM   #92
train-time
"TRF" Member

Watch: All gone!
Love the color Mike... although I must admit I had four Audi's (3 A6 & 1 A4) in Ming Blue and three Merc's (2 ML's & 1 C Class Wagon) in Dark Blue, so I am a bit biased towards midnight blue cars, especially with ecru (Audi) or Java (as Merc calls it) leather interiors. Real Dark blue is like black with a hint of color!

This one looks amazing for a used car, well CPO and with almost no miles on it she is basically as close to new as you get. Impressive find!
train-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2023, 07:24 AM   #93
Carguy87
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: JC 126660
Looks great Mike do it!! That color is really great in person and I think it’ll grow on you especially with the top down!
Carguy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2023, 08:08 AM   #94
Easy E
2024 Pledge Member

That's a pretty sick ride. Think long, think wrong. Go get it.
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2023, 08:40 AM   #95
train-time
"TRF" Member

Watch: All gone!
Mike has been off-line for a while now..... Hmmm!
train-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2023, 09:46 AM   #96
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Love the color! I say get it... and turn off the rev match so you can heel-toe those downshifts :)

If I may humbly suggest, 303 Marine Fabric Guard as water literally just rolls off the fabric top. YouTube about it.

https://amzn.to/3DGbiTJ
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2023, 12:07 PM   #97
sco
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subc AT 8500 CSO
Looks great, go for it!
sco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2023, 10:53 PM   #98
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Update: Sorry guys, in the end it was a no-go. I got close to getting it. Like really REALLY close. Like to the point of signing paperwork. In the end there was a reason I didn't jump at the chance to buy it on the spot Thursday night. Something in the back of my mind was not ready to move forward. It's like watches, when you have to watch loads of videos to convince you to buy a watch the best move may be to NOT buy it.

I was getting the buyers remorse ahead of time. Not sure of the exact reason. Yes the color was part of it - the heart wants what the heart wants and mine wants black. I thought the color was neat looking but also sort of "trendy" and I suspect it will look dated quickly. There's a reason why they discontinuted the color after only one year.

I also met with near total negativity from the family. Even my son was like Yuck! My wife wants nothing to do with it. The kids (in their twenties) view is "why would you buy a car everyone in high school has?" (ouch!) which is funny because you'd think us Rolex people would be one ones concerned about exclusivity. I'm not, but they make a point either way.

I also want to take a look, and drive the new '24s. There's no need to rush here. I want to drive a 24 and compare it directly with the previous generation. These will start rollling out this summer so no reason I can't wait a little while and check them out.

So in the end I'm going to wait it out a bit, give the 2024s a try, and reassess at that point. I appreciate all the comments and enthusiasm. I will revisit the idea this summer and definitetly post some pics!
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2023, 11:15 PM   #99
RichM
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: out now,take care!
Too bad Mike, but it’s a decision only you can make and I’m sure it’s the right one for you.
TRF #139960
RichM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2023, 11:41 PM   #100
HHIslander
"TRF" Member

You made the right call. I wasn’t going to say anything, but I’ve seen that color and I’m not a fan at all. Frankly, it looks to me like a purplely grape mess in need of a wrap.

The 24s are looking to be awesome. I’m waiting for the new Shelby myself.
HHIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2023, 11:52 PM   #101
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHIslander View Post
You made the right call. I wasn’t going to say anything, but I’ve seen that color and I’m not a fan at all. Frankly, it looks to me like a purplely grape mess in need of a wrap.

The 24s are looking to be awesome. I’m waiting for the new Shelby myself.
I thought it looked good in person, but it reminded me of those color changing paint jobs they had a few years ago that look so incredibly dated now. I think if it had been black it would be in my garage today.

Yeah the smart move is to at a minimum wait to look at and drive a 2024. There will still be plenty (if not more) used 21-23 models floating around out there a year from now. So far in pictures I'm not 100% sold on the 24s but I need to see one in person.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2023, 02:08 AM   #102
themast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richm View Post
too bad mike, but it’s a decision only you can make and i’m sure it’s the right one for you.
+1
themast is offline   Reply With Quote