The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 1 March 2018, 03:35 AM   #1
ajg223
"TRF" Member

ALS Saxonia 37 as daily wearer

Due to some unforeseen expenses I am going to be a one (nice) watch guy for the foreseeable future. Would the 37mm ultra thin be a good option. I wear business casual or shirt and tie to work. I have a beater for water activities etc. I guess my question is can this watch transition from formal to casual easily enough to be my every day watch? If not, what should I be looking at in this price range? Thanks.

Last edited by ajg223; 1 March 2018 at 04:14 AM.. Reason: Misspelling
ajg223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2018, 03:47 AM   #2
Slider817
"TRF" Member

Watch: Journe, AP & Lange
That's a good option, also take a look at the Vacheron Traditionnalle and Patrimony series, both come in at a similar price point to the ALS on the used market.
Slider817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2018, 03:57 AM   #3
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

i very much like the ultra thin, definitely a good option
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2018, 03:58 AM   #4
ajg223
"TRF" Member

My only issue with the traditionalle is that it is 40mm. I have a 6.75 inch wrist. My other thought was an older 1815. With the numerals over sticks out might beer easier to make casual? Thanked for the response.
Old 1 March 2018, 09:20 AM   #5
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajg223 View Post
My only issue with the traditionalle is that it is 40mm. I have a 6.75 inch wrist. My other thought was an older 1815. With the numerals over sticks out might beer easier to make casual? Thanked for the response.
Freudian slip? Sounds like the 1815 will handle the brawls better.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2018, 11:34 AM   #6
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
Patek Calatrava?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2018, 11:34 AM   #7
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Or for much less, Nomos Tangente

Old 1 March 2018, 11:58 AM   #8
Golden Ellipse
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
These are 38mm and among my top 3 favorites in my collection — mine is the second link:

http://www.vacheron-constantin.com/e...000r-9888.html

http://www.vacheron-constantin.com/e...000p-9811.html

Great size, finishing, and movement.
Golden Ellipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2018, 04:49 AM   #9
denvercenturion
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 Pepsi
I have the Lange 37mm and wear it casually quite often, I find it is a nice understated watch and if you swap the strap on it you can get it even more casual. That said it is the watch I wore at my wedding, so I find it extremely versatile in terms of dressing up or dressing down.
denvercenturion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2018, 05:26 AM   #10
ajg223
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by denvercenturion View Post
I have the Lange 37mm and wear it casually quite often, I find it is a nice understated watch and if you swap the strap on it you can get it even more casual. That said it is the watch I wore at my wedding, so I find it extremely versatile in terms of dressing up or dressing down.
Thanks for this. What made you go with the Saxonia vs 1815? The size of the Saxonia is ideal. I'm afraid the 36mm would be to small and the 38.5 a touch too big as a dressy watch for my wrist. At the same time the Arabic numerals are more casual than the applied. I love them both, the only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger on the 37mm ultra thin is that it will be on my wrist for 90% of the time and that it's too dressy for everyday wear.
Old 3 March 2018, 10:11 AM   #11
wisguy
"TRF" Member

I don't wear mine on a daily basis, but I could.

If you like the watch it is a great only watch, you can wear it with everything (I have the WG version).

If you are going to have only one, might as well be that one!
Old 4 March 2018, 05:19 AM   #12
denvercenturion
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 Pepsi
Quote:
Thanks for this. What made you go with the Saxonia vs 1815? The size of the Saxonia is ideal. I'm afraid the 36mm would be to small and the 38.5 a touch too big as a dressy watch for my wrist. At the same time the Arabic numerals are more casual than the applied. I love them both, the only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger on the 37mm ultra thin is that it will be on my wrist for 90% of the time and that it's too dressy for everyday wear.
I went with the Saxonia because I was looking for a dress watch to add to my collection and really wanted to add an ALS, so when it was announced I sprung for it. I will say though with the 37mm ultra thin even though I can wear it often I wouldn't wear it as a daily, its made of white gold and has a small profile so wearing it as often as you would like I think would just age the piece quickly. BUT I find that it works well as a casual watch and can even become more casual if you were to get a different strap for it.

Personally if I was looking for a daily wearer that is dressy I would go with the 1815, phenomenal watch and a larger profile will lend itself to a more casual feel, whereas if you get into the 36 range I feel like it better be vintage sport or a pure dress watch.
denvercenturion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2018, 05:56 AM   #13
kunlun
"TRF" Member

For someone else, there might be other options, but for you, it sounds like 37mm is perfect. Wg will be easy to dress up or down and you can a strap color that aids the casual/dress balance you want.

The strap will really do your work for you in this case.
kunlun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2018, 09:02 AM   #14
Vaxe
"TRF" Member

The lack of movement on the dial can be somewhat dull / lifeless, I would look for the now discontinued 35mm Saxonia - 3 hands, same price $14800. Or try the Patek 5120 (also just discontinued).
Vaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2018, 09:15 AM   #15
ajg223
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all the opinions. I was trying to keep my budget to about 13k which puts the 1815 in 38.5 a bit out of reach. I also thought that the older small seconds saxonia was worth a look.

Old 5 March 2018, 11:34 PM   #16
ragingcao
"TRF" Member

Watch: cha talking about?
Go for the ALS Sax thin.
It is truly a beautiful timepiece and it is NOT a dull watch. I have a rotation of Rolex SS and PM but i find myself choosing the Saxonia more frequently. Looks, size, quality, and you can't beat the price point.
ragingcao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2018, 12:22 AM   #17
ajg223
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingcao View Post
Go for the ALS Sax thin.
It is truly a beautiful timepiece and it is NOT a dull watch. I have a rotation of Rolex SS and PM but i find myself choosing the Saxonia more frequently. Looks, size, quality, and you can't beat the price point.
So you don't find the lack of small seconds for movement to be a detriment to frequent wear? I am going to hold on to my nomos metro and a field watch for a beater, but whatever ALS I choose will get 80% of my wrist time. I go back and forth multiple times a day between the sax thin, an older sax with small seconds, and the 36mm 1815.
Old 6 March 2018, 12:48 AM   #18
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Personally, I prefer small seconds on a watch. It looks like something is happening and I know that it is still running. YMMV.
Old 6 March 2018, 01:30 AM   #19
ragingcao
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So you don't find the lack of small seconds for movement to be a detriment to frequent wear? I am going to hold on to my nomos metro and a field watch for a beater, but whatever ALS I choose will get 80% of my wrist time. I go back and forth multiple times a day between the sax thin, an older sax with small seconds, and the 36mm 1815.
Not really. I rely on time and minutes not so much on seconds. There's something very zen and elegant about a 2-hand watch. The iconic AP Royal Oak Jumbo 15205 doesn't have a seconds hand either.
Nothing against the other 2 choices. With the dots on the markers on the older sax, I much prefer the new markers, clean, linear and no interruption.
1815 is super nice but I would stretch the budget to go for the newer 38.5mm version.
Have you actually tried them on?
Old 6 March 2018, 01:33 AM   #20
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
I think for an everyday and perhaps one where resale may be eyed in the future, I'd go rolex. Maybe an OP, Celini, or Rolex Daytona on leather?
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2018, 03:36 AM   #21
ajg223
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingcao View Post
Not really. I rely on time and minutes not so much on seconds. There's something very zen and elegant about a 2-hand watch. The iconic AP Royal Oak Jumbo 15205 doesn't have a seconds hand either.
Nothing against the other 2 choices. With the dots on the markers on the older sax, I much prefer the new markers, clean, linear and no interruption.
1815 is super nice but I would stretch the budget to go for the newer 38.5mm version.
Have you actually tried them on?
I have not tired them on. I plan on going to try on the ones that are currently in the catalog, but its going to be difficult to try on the older models. I just don't know if I can stretch my budget enough to get to the 1815 in 38.5. I am assuming these never come up for less than 17-18k right? The sax thin is the choice for my budget and I know the size is right in my sweet spot. Just fear it is too formal to be an everyday watch.
Old 7 March 2018, 01:02 AM   #22
ragingcao
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I have not tired them on. I plan on going to try on the ones that are currently in the catalog, but its going to be difficult to try on the older models. I just don't know if I can stretch my budget enough to get to the 1815 in 38.5. I am assuming these never come up for less than 17-18k right? The sax thin is the choice for my budget and I know the size is right in my sweet spot. Just fear it is too formal to be an everyday watch.
I understand completely. Sometimes classy can make the heart grow wilder Good luck. Hope you can find a few models to try on before purchasing.
Old 10 March 2018, 10:12 AM   #23
evsnow
"TRF" Member

I don’t know if I would say the 37mm ALS Saxonia Thin is a “daily wearer” but I do love mine in WG. I wear a suit and tie most days and it goes great with this look and thebWG is nice as it’s a bit covert. I would get it and save up for a future sport watch like a sub or GMT to balance the collection. The craftsmanship and detailing on the ALS is well above it’s orixe bracket; plus you can find them grey market for $11-13k which makes it an excellent purchase.
evsnow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2018, 03:32 PM   #24
vladamir15
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, VC, Breguet
I think it would be a good choice. For a modern person that works in a office, it should be fine as a daily wearer. ALS truly makes amazing watches.

Audemars, Vacheron, Breguet, Jaquet Droz, JLC, Rolex, Omega, Cartier
vladamir15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2018, 05:13 PM   #25
Justindo
"TRF" Member

While I'm personally not a one (or two or three) watch person, I can appreciate that you want one fine timepiece to wear 80-90% of the time and if you're in a suit or business casual five days a week, a dress watch makes a lot of sense. The key to a good, versatile watch is simplicity and an appropriate size. My wrist is the same size as yours and I would be looking in the 36-39mm range for both an everyday and a dress watch.

I think the Saxonia Thin (in white gold I presume) is a fine choice and checks those boxes. My only issue with it is that it's perhaps too simple. I personally only buy watches with second hands because I like the movement and it tells me right away if it's running. For this reason and given your budget, I'd consider a new 35mm Saxonia (it's a bit small but not too small and is a great value), a used 36mm 1815 (I have one in yellow gold and it's a great size and watch), or a 38mm Vacheron Traditionnelle in white gold. I have the Vacheron in pink gold and it's a lovely watch and may work a bit better as a versatile piece due to its slightly larger size. I think the Langes are a bit nicer, but the Vacheron is really nice too.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2020, 06:46 PM   #26
Horationelson
"TRF" Member

Apologies all for reviving an old thread.

I am on the cusp of buyer a Saxonia Thin 37 to be my daily wearer. Much like OP, I have a job that (until recently, for obvious reasons) would have seen me in an office 5 days a week and wearing a suit (or at least shirt and trousers) most days.

Before spending £13k+ on a one and only time piece like this, I am just pausing for thought because, like many here I suspect, I have no idea what the future holds for office workers (lawyer). I am imagining that over the next few years, the norm will be going into the office 2-3 days a week and possibly a more casual dress code when at work. And probably one day a week at home (plus two at the weekend) wearing tshirt and jeans.

My instinct is that the ALS will actually work in that scenario because it is not as formal/traditional as some of the PP/VC equivalents. Especially the WG model. And if anything it will be a way of dressing up an otherwise casual outfit.
Horationelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2020, 09:44 AM   #27
DantonIzzo
"TRF" Member

I love the watch but wouldn’t use as a daily. It’s too dressy. I think a Reverso would work better. It can be dressed up or down depending on the strap.
DantonIzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2020, 08:58 PM   #28
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horationelson View Post
Apologies all for reviving an old thread.

I am on the cusp of buyer a Saxonia Thin 37 to be my daily wearer. Much like OP, I have a job that (until recently, for obvious reasons) would have seen me in an office 5 days a week and wearing a suit (or at least shirt and trousers) most days.

Before spending £13k+ on a one and only time piece like this, I am just pausing for thought because, like many here I suspect, I have no idea what the future holds for office workers (lawyer). I am imagining that over the next few years, the norm will be going into the office 2-3 days a week and possibly a more casual dress code when at work. And probably one day a week at home (plus two at the weekend) wearing tshirt and jeans.

My instinct is that the ALS will actually work in that scenario because it is not as formal/traditional as some of the PP/VC equivalents. Especially the WG model. And if anything it will be a way of dressing up an otherwise casual outfit.
The beauty of the Saxonia Thin is the neutrality of the colour scheme, meaning that you can really play around with straps. Whilst the standard black strap does firmly put it in the camp of a more formal watch, you could inject some colour, change the materials, and you can really soften it. I'd be looking at ostrich or nubuck, really will make it work well with a t-shirt and jeans

Chris
The GMT Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2020, 02:09 AM   #29
Dr Process
"TRF" Member

Watch: your hands
Pre-owned Moser Venturer is another option. Similar in price.
Dr Process is offline   Reply With Quote