The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 9 July 2020, 06:45 AM   #121
JohnnyM
Banned

Watch: All the good ones
I think they are nice. Yes expensive and also thicker than I would have expected, but nice.
JohnnyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 08:03 AM   #122
NotRichardMille
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGB View Post
Sorry , no offence but it’s Daniel Wellington.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NotRichardMille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 09:48 AM   #123
rumnyc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15202ST
Code 11.59

Why would anyone pick up a code chrono over a roc? Why why why? Why does code chromo even exist? It seems the entire line is for walk in customers who will buy it only beucase there are no man sized royal oaks in stock so it exists purely as an impulse buy...
rumnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 01:22 PM   #124
SSCosmo
"TRF" Member

Perhaps one day people will finally make their own judgment on the Code 11.59 instead of just following the herd in bashing it - often for no legitimate reason and not even having seen it in person.
SSCosmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 01:43 PM   #125
Caramba
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSCosmo View Post
Perhaps one day people will finally make their own judgment on the Code 11.59 instead of just following the herd in bashing it - often for no legitimate reason and not even having seen it in person.

I initially thought that I’d have a different opinion after trying it on, but no. A lot has been said about the dial, but what surprised me the most was how big it wears. It’s really in the same league as a Panerai Luminor and the new ROO ceramic. It’s thick as well. My wrist is 7,25 in for reference.

I accept that people have different taste and that trends and taste change over time, but I’m really struggling to see where the code 11:59 is going to find its place.

Caramba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 04:11 PM   #126
Reign
"TRF" Member

Code 11.59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramba View Post
I initially thought that I’d have a different opinion after trying it on, but no. A lot has been said about the dial, but what surprised me the most was how big it wears. It’s really in the same league as a Panerai Luminor and the new ROO ceramic. It’s thick as well. My wrist is 7,25 in for reference.

I accept that people have different taste and that trends and taste change over time, but I’m really struggling to see where the code 11:59 is going to find its place.

The new dials are beautiful in your photos. I would suggest taking of photo in the mirror of you wearing it, it’ll look very different size wise and is a more accurate reflection of how it wears

Reign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 05:07 PM   #127
SSCosmo
"TRF" Member

Quote:

That’s fair enough, especially since you have tried it on. I was mainly referring to a lot of the negative comments to recent articles on Hodinkee and elsewhere about the new releases.

To me, the Code 11.59 does not fit into any traditional watch “type,” and that’s fine. It’s not a dress watch or a sport watch, but in some ways, that fits the casual/business casual environment prevalent today. A watch doesn’t have to be liked by everyone to be a success, especially for a company like AP that has relatively limited production and aiming for exclusivity.
Old 9 July 2020, 05:10 PM   #128
SSCosmo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign View Post
The new dials are beautiful in your photos. I would suggest taking of photo in the mirror of you wearing it, it’ll look very different size wise and is a more accurate reflection of how it wears

I really like the PC Code 11.59. I would not hesitate to buy that piece, but unfortunately, it’s become one of the tougher AP pieces to get. I was told I would have a better chance of getting a 15202ST or the ceramic PC (non skeleton) than the Code 11.59 PC.
Old 13 July 2020, 06:48 AM   #129
Ekwity
"TRF" Member

Watch: —>
Quote:
Originally Posted by shkure View Post
Tried the new code 11.59 at the AP boutique. Its absolutely as bad as anyone made it out to be. I have never seen a watch that expensive look that cheap on the wrist. Here is a pic.

I saw one of these on amazon for $18 it just said Ashton instead of AP lol
Ekwity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 07:59 AM   #130
dauster
"TRF" Member

I think they are cool and the code wore great on my wrist.

but just like thousands before mentioned, way too much competition in this price range within AP and outside of AP. I can buy a 5164A from a grey dealer for the price of the chrono code ... or a beautiful ROO 44mm in pink gold and that one is even readily available.

AP got to realize that, if the regular code was priced around 13k and it would for sure get me a 15500 blue I'd buy it immediately.

edit: not to speak of all the Lange watches I can get around 40k - 1815 flyback chrono, lange 1 OMG - sorry why would I pull the trigger on the code. MY AD offered me a rose gold grand lange 1 for less than 40k - 20 down and the rest I could have paid in installments.
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 08:01 AM   #131
1Orologio
"TRF" Member

Watch: Still searching...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
I think they are cool and the code wore great on my wrist.

but just like thousands before mentioned, way too much competition in this price range within AP and outside of AP. I can buy a 5164A from a grey dealer for the price of the chrono code ... or a beautiful ROO 44mm in pink gold and that one is even readily available.

AP got to realize that, if the regular code was priced around 13k and it would for sure get me a 15500 blue I'd buy it immediately.

Great point on the pricing. I have a regular rose, the chrono was just too much for what it’s worth.

Old 13 July 2020, 08:03 AM   #132
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign View Post

looks great but not 70k plus great - goes to show you the potential if they ever change the dial...

Why don't they just accept defeat and use the movements for other designs? call it code reimagined or whatever who cares. I dont understand why they are doubling down on the code with sixty thousands different dials and colors
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 02:24 AM   #133
phow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
I won't bundle watches I don't really want but I see your point. I agree the CODE should have been the entry-level watch for AP.

The fact that a RO 15450ST or 15500ST sits at the bottom of the range price-wise is sort of nuts.
phow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2020, 11:45 PM   #134
rumnyc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15202ST
Saw some of the more investing colors today and tried them on. These colors make the code almost interesting, but not in a way that makes me want to buy them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
rumnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2020, 12:46 AM   #135
1Orologio
"TRF" Member

Watch: Still searching...
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumnyc View Post
Saw some of the more investing colors today and tried them on. These colors make the code almost interesting, but not in a way that makes me want to buy them.

I think I like the plain, non chrono, dial in these interesting colors.

Old 16 July 2020, 06:32 AM   #136
SBC1986
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shkure View Post
Tried the new code 11.59 at the AP boutique. Its absolutely as bad as anyone made it out to be. I have never seen a watch that expensive look that cheap on the wrist. Here is a pic.

TRUE! Not getting better with age....
SBC1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2020, 11:52 AM   #137
Tcjreid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
there is not a single watch i know of with a date window at 4:23 that i would like to have on my wrist.

there is no way that a different dial can make that aesthetic ok.
Does that include the Royal Oak chrono? Is there general dislike for the date position on that model too? As can be seen by my number of posts, I'm pretty new to this world so interested to get a feel for opinion across the wider AP range - clearly CODE hasn't been broadly well received.
Tcjreid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2020, 11:56 AM   #138
Caramba
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcjreid View Post
Does that include the Royal Oak chrono? Is there general dislike for the date position on that model too? As can be seen by my number of posts, I'm pretty new to this world so interested to get a feel for opinion across the wider AP range - clearly CODE hasn't been broadly well received.

I think it’s a general preference for symmetry among watch collectors, hence the dislike of a 4:23 date position.

Caramba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2020, 12:00 PM   #139
Tcjreid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I think it’s a general preference for symmetry among watch collectors, hence the dislike of a 4:23 date position.

That makes sense - I guess i was highlighting that it seems not to be a dealbreaker for some other models. But clearly not helping the CODE 'problem'.
Tcjreid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2020, 12:03 PM   #140
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcjreid View Post

I don’t think that it is possible to generalize what people think. If most people didn’t like it, I doubt it would exist. I tend to like 6:00 or 12:00 ( if it isn’t blocked by the chronograph’s second hand) better but my ROC is a keeper.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2020, 12:27 PM   #141
Jgives
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15500, Santos
Only thing I know for sure from this thread is that the gold 26331 looks good anywhere, even posed with the Jimmy Dean sausage. Beautiful!
Jgives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2020, 12:07 PM   #142
rockdrock
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumnyc View Post

Got any pics for the purple?

rockdrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2020, 10:54 PM   #143
Sg6067
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 15450ST Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgives View Post
Only thing I know for sure from this thread is that the gold 26331 looks good anywhere, even posed with the Jimmy Dean sausage. Beautiful!
+1
Sg6067 is offline   Reply With Quote