The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 21 January 2020, 07:57 AM   #1
DocTony
"TRF" Member

Winder inquiry for my Rolex Submariner

This probably rates as the proverbial dumb question but when one does not know the answer, well, any informed response can be enlightening! That said, I've had my Rolex Submariner [with date] since 1981. A treasured gift from my folks when I earned my doctorate.

Anyway, I got tired of resetting the Rolex every time I didn't wear it [like the weekends at home] and it stopped from non wearing it continuously and I had to do the old wrist back and forth motion and the Rolex second hand would immediately come back to life and stay that way until I took it off for any protracted period. Here's my question --- Many of the powered watch winders [cord and battery] I see have a rotating mechanism [to the left for a few minutes and then to the right and then the process is repeated and bi-directionally] =but= is this multi-directional turning of the watch sufficient to keep it wound up =versus= a sort of see-saw tipping motion as one would do with their wrist. The winders I see indeed move to the left and right, pause, and then repeat the process but is this good enough where normally the Rolex is tipped in a see-saw motion with the wrist =or= must I get a winder that tips and thus mimics the human wrist movement back and forth [up/down] to keep it running. Thank you. ---- Doc Tony
DocTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 08:22 AM   #2
sleddog
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Lots of info on this topic Tony..
I’m sure you’ll now get a mixed bag of responses.

My 2c. Don’t waste your money on a winder. Part of the fun of a mechanical watch, is to wind it. If you had a more complicated watch than a simple date function, my advice would be different. To each their own however....

Welcome to TRF!

TRF's "After Dark" Bar & Nightclub Patron-Founding Member..
sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 08:49 AM   #3
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Rotors are in a fixed, single-plane, orientation on the back of the movement.

Efficiency is at it's maximum when rotated along that single plane, which is what a winder would do.

A see-saw motion would incur additional friction when out-of-plane motion is encountered, and efficiency would suffer. Additionally, a Rolex will wind in either direction, so there is no benefit to "bi-directional" settings.

I would bet a donut though, that you couldn't measure the inefficiency.
Old 23 January 2020, 09:03 AM   #4
DocTony
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the responses. Just as an aside and recalling that I received the Rolex Submariner as a graduation gift [doctorate] in 1981, some 39 years ago this May [2020] , I only had it to a local jeweler once many years ago for a cleaning but they returned the watch to me at no charge saying they lacked the "specialized equipment" to work on the Rolex and, I'll admit it, I did nothing further and the Rolex continued to function perfectly through the years. In essence, perfect service for almost 39 years and it kept perfect time! Sooooo, I went with the old dictum, "if it works, let it be" , AKA "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Fast forward to January of 2020. Waiting for my wife to complete a dental appointment and I look at my Rolex Submariner and the second had stopped. I gave the watch the old but gentle wrist see-saw thing a few times but unlike previous times, nothing. The second hand would not move. Then I tried a manual wind. Nothing. I even did the old 40 turn of the hands and some very gentle see-saw movements. Nothing. Cutting to the chase, after almost 39 years [this coming May], the internal winder had bit the dust [so Rolex informed me when I brought it in for service] and there was also a damaged "T-4 wheel" [whatever that is and does] and that the watch was "crying out for an overhaul" citing to me that Rolex itself recommends Rolex watch overhauls every 5 years. In fact it's presently being overhauled and a new mainspring and T-4 wheel [??] repaired.

I think what surprised me the most was the rather telling increase in value over the years. To the best of my recollection, my folks spent about $1,100 for it in 1981 and they added a jubilee bracelet in addition to the normal Submariner bracelet. I still have the green Rolex box and the certification papers. But it astounded me to see this same Rolex Submariner model which I received brand new in 1981 and with date adjust [and TWO Rolex bracelets] and seeing such models today on the internet as ==USED== mind you with the normal Submariner bracelet selling for $8,000 and up! And 8K is on the conservative low side! In some cases, used Submariners approached the price of a new same model Submariner! Why this is escapes me. It's still a beautiful watch but I'm still amazed at the rise in value over the years. I'm anxious to get it back after it's repaired and overhauled by a Rolex tech [about 3 weeks waiting time] as I feel naked without it! ---- Doc Tony

Last edited by DocTony; 23 January 2020 at 09:10 AM.. Reason: spelling correction
DocTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 01:27 PM   #5
BamaHammer
Banned

Watch: Rolex Submariner
You don't need a winder, If you don't enjoy an automatic watch, then get a seamaster quartz. You'd like it
BamaHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 06:48 PM   #6
frequentflyer
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc, 16750
Please please don’t let Rolex change any of the important parts that make your watch so valuable.

I’m talking, dial, hands, date wheel and bezel insert.

Only have them service the movement.

Decline everything else they offer otherwise your beautiful vintage watch will be ruined forever.
frequentflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 05:00 AM   #7
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Yes, if they recommend replacing the dial, hands, and bezel insert, you should take the watch back and send it to an independent watchmaker. These replacements will reduce the value by about half.