The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 23 January 2020, 06:51 AM   #1
colpol
"TRF" Member

RSC versus independent (uk)

I’ve had my 1680 for coming up on 6 years - service history unknown

Looking to put it in for a service sometime late Feb/ early Mar

Been on here long enough to have heard the horror stories of dials, hands etc being swapped out during servicing

Question : i got my 16600 serviced 3 years ago via a local AD which was fine. If I was to bypass the local AD & go direct to RSC London ask for a movement only service insisting on no dial/ hands/ bezel swap outs / nor polishing. Would they do or return watch if they felt those parts had to be replaced & therefore couldn’t guarantee the work ?? My watch was purchased from seller with excellent rep but would be nice to have rolex service papers as I don’t have anything else to guarantee the authenticity of the watch

An independent I’ve heard good things about is William Rice but I then I wouldn’t have the RSC papers

Interested on your thoughts
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 1EB9EC27-E3FF-4781-8E4B-2A60A0AFDC99.jpeg (90.9 KB, 99 views)
colpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 07:26 AM   #2
athom
"TRF" Member

The RSC papers are nice if you want to sell your watch and do not have the original ones.

My independent watch maker would also give a 2 years warranty for his service so that would not be a problem if you don't want to sell it to not go to the RSC...

What I'm sure about, is that my independent watchmaker would do what is necessary and would - for sure - not do what I don't want !
athom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 09:50 AM   #3
TimeLord2
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Master 1675/3
When you send your watch in to an RSC they will give you "Required" and "Optional" recommendations. As your watch is so old (4-digit reference), they may do an authentication on it, which will also cost you. You do not have to accept their service recommendations and can just take the service estimate papers, which will also provide a replacement value for your watch should it be lost or damaged somehow while in their care. I inherited my 1675 from my Dad who did not keep any of the original paperwork. I had Rolex authenticate because they would not even give me a service recommendation without that but I have no intention of having it serviced there.
TimeLord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 05:50 PM   #4
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

I’ve taken quite a few vintage/collectible pieces to RSC St James (currently closed for renovation), inc Mk1 1675 and flat 4 LV. All were returned movement service only, light polish and with no parts exchanged as requested by me. A piece like that deserves some RSC paperwork.
Old 23 January 2020, 07:26 PM   #5
zapokee
"TRF" Member

You can put it in at the RSC for an estimate and they'll issue estimate paperwork, which essentially authenticates it. Then choose whether to use the RSC or an independent, depending on how confident you are that the RSC will respect your wishes.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote