The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 26 December 2019, 12:15 PM   #1
Lol-x
Facilitator

Can you truely enjoy a high-end vintage Rolex as it was intended?

I saw a YouTube video yesterday and it depicted a pristine 6542 GMT-Master with bakelite bezel said to be worth $100,000.

Now if one considered buying it, and to use it as it was intended, could one actually do so?

The risk is that with normal wear the bakelite bezel would crack and the dial lume chip off, with the result being they would be practically impossible to replace, or replace at an astronomical cost.

Thus does the value that this watch now commends and its fragility now render it to be a museum piece like a piece of precious art rather than a practical timekeeping wrist watch that would be worn for its intended purpose.

May the same may be said to other vintage models such as the Paul Newman Daytona.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2019, 12:22 PM   #2
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

I think you picked what may be the best example of a delicate Rolex. I would probably be very cautious with the Bakelite bezel. Other than that, I think most Rolexes can be worn with the normal care that you would give a vintage watch.

Of course any collectible watch that is truly NOS or pristine will make you think twice.
Old 26 December 2019, 12:23 PM   #3
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I tend to think that way Steve.

I’ve never owned anything of that ilk, but when I had a 67 5513, I tended to be overly cautious while wearing it for many of the reasons you site. Eventually I sold it.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2019, 12:46 PM   #4
STEELINOX
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX-less atm...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
I saw a YouTube video yesterday and it depicted a pristine 6542 GMT-Master with bakelite bezel said to be worth $100,000.

Now if one considered buying it, and to use it as it was intended, could one actually do so?

The risk is that with normal wear the bakelite bezel would crack and the dial lume chip off, with the result being they would be practically impossible to replace, or replace at an astronomical cost.

Thus does the value that this watch now commends and its fragility now render it to be a museum piece like a piece of precious art rather than a practical timekeeping wrist watch that would be worn for its intended purpose.

May the same may be said to other vintage models such as the Paul Newman Daytona.
Merry Christmas, StevO ~
Yes, on all counts. The piece should be encased in Luciterellium™ and put on display at the Horological Museum of Antiquities SA, GENEVE.

Charge the right admission and it may recover your investment in a timely fashion...

*Positive Waves Baby*
Lug Hole Loyalist / Chamfer Line Inspector
INFORTHE WIN
STEELINOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2019, 01:17 PM   #5
exador
Banned

Unfortunately a lot of vintage Rolex have become too expensive to insure/service/wear
exador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2019, 01:55 PM   #6
watchknut
Banned

I still wear my 6542...it survived for this long, and the original owner beat the hell out of it. Bakelite is still intact.
watchknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2019, 01:57 PM   #7
Bladeshot
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT 1675 PCG Gilt
In that example, I’d not wear it for fear of damage. Bakelite would be a gamble. And I’d also hate to see it locked away in a vault. Best to display and be appreciated.

Like Brian, I’ve had late 60’s pieces and I still worried about damaging them, but I wore them while I owned them. I only collect what I am comfortable wearing. The oldest as of today is a 1979-1982 GMT 16750 (no papers, so the age is approximate).
Old 26 December 2019, 03:42 PM   #8
miamiman
"TRF" Member

Watch: rolex 1675
about 14 years ago my friend bought a nice Rolex gmt from a pawnshop, and I always wanted a gmt. my friend sold me one in 2003 and because it had the plastic crystal, nobody wanted them those days the guys were actually putting glass crystals on plastic crystal watches to make them look new. I bought it for $1300 and I thought I was overpaying. I ended up selling it to buy something new....fast forward several years later. I went to the pawn shop where my friend bought his GMT, he told me the old man at the pawn shop had another one that was older and it was cheap. so I go to the pawn shop the next day and asked the old man for the Gmt and he said "sorry your friend bought the nice one , I only have this old one here and its in bad shape , very old" when I looked at the watch I said damn thats old , but it was a 6542 , the old man wanted $900 dollars for the watch with everything original, it belonged to an old cuban pilot from the cuban airforce in the 50's ....so I passed on the watch , it was old looking to me at the time I didn't know what the hell a 6542 was back then... you gotta laugh .
miamiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2019, 05:57 PM   #9
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Steve, the answer to your question is, YES. And it should be treated like a museum piece to be preserved. There are enough beat up old examples of Rolex watches out there so that if someone wants one to wear and experiment on, they can find it.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2019, 06:14 PM   #10
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
Just be careful and you can wear and enjoy most things. Personally I don’t like wearing a 6542 for two reasons. Firstly the bezel is fragile and you only know how fragile it is when it actually cracks. Secondly it is too hot. Especially the bezel which makes it a bit scary to run around with.

Most other expensive models can be worn with care. Even if some buy them for investment most people with nice watches have the watches to enjoy.
Old 26 December 2019, 06:21 PM   #11
RHJ
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 214270 Mk1
I think Steve is right. This is the same with old jewelry too, even with old books...
RHJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2019, 07:06 PM   #12
Verdi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Big Ben
Depends on the watch and what is a high-end Rolex vintage. Are we also talking DJ, DD and OP......or just GMT, Daytona and Subs?

Most of watches can be enjoyed without a problem. There are a few exceptions.....like the bakelite GMT.
Funny enough a ‘60s DJ is a lot more “solid” than a GMT in this case.

But lets get this straight, few models have fragile or extremely valuable fragile bezels or hands.

So, I would say most of the vintage watches can be worn and enjoyed as daily beaters, with a little care and cautiousness.
Old 26 December 2019, 07:21 PM   #13
janice&fred
Banned

Watch: all of them!
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I tend to think that way Steve.

I’ve never owned anything of that ilk, but when I had a 67 5513, I tended to be overly cautious while wearing it for many of the reasons you site. Eventually I sold it.
I agree. as the values rise on some of these models we get hesitant to enjoy them like we did before. we have a few older sport models but the pleasure of owning them is starting to wane as we also tend to be overly cautious of them. for most of us that are not rolling in money, it's more relaxing and enjoyable to wear stuff that's not so fragile or prohibitive to repair or replace. however if someone can afford the risk...mazel tov and enjoy!
janice&fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2019, 07:38 PM   #14
Verdi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Big Ben
PS: you can always do a Brando and leave the bezel at home. :))
Old 26 December 2019, 07:39 PM   #15
Brew
"TRF" Member

If I could afford such a piece, it would need to be able to be used as intended, or I would not want it. A watch that does not tell me the time is not very useful.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2019, 09:42 PM   #16
zapokee
"TRF" Member

I'm very hesitant to wear my 1964 gilt 5513. It just sits in the safe most of the time. The puffy lume might fall off, the bracelet might break, and then the college fund is gone. I have plenty of other stuff to wear on my wrist.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2019, 10:10 PM   #17
athom
"TRF" Member

Don't buy a watch you won't dare to wear...you can wear every Rolex whatever its price, just be careful no matter if it costs US$500k or US$10k...it is the same with cars, only buy a Bugatti or a Zonda or whatever if you drive it...if you leave it in the carpark there is the point ? Just avoird maybe to drive 200mph on a rainy day...just my 2 cent
athom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2019, 10:46 PM   #18
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by athom View Post
Don't buy a watch you won't dare to wear...you can wear every Rolex whatever its price, just be careful no matter if it costs US$500k or US$10k...it is the same with cars, only buy a Bugatti or a Zonda or whatever if you drive it...if you leave it in the carpark there is the point ? Just avoird maybe to drive 200mph on a rainy day...just my 2 cent
Each to their own. Some people collect watches like they collect stamps or whatever. As long as people are happy they can collect as they want. Wear the shit out of things, put it in safes or anywhere inbetween. Most sportswatches work for every day life.

Regardless how rich you are messing up a nice and expensive vintage watch will hurt.
Old 27 December 2019, 05:34 AM   #19
daveo5
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M COSC
4 of my 5 Rolexes are vintage. Like fine vintage wine or book they are always enjoyable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
daveo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2019, 05:48 AM   #20
btinl
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: on my wrist
I personally don't buy watches that are too fragile to wear. They are sometimes very beautiful and valuable but essentially worthless to me if I can't wear them.
btinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2019, 06:01 AM   #21
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by roh123 View Post
Each to their own. Some people collect watches like they collect stamps or whatever. As long as people are happy they can collect as they want. Wear the shit out of things, put it in safes or anywhere inbetween. Most sportswatches work for every day life.

Regardless how rich you are messing up a nice and expensive vintage watch will hurt.
x2. We just need to re-evaluate our intentions/goals with vintage timepieces. As prices continue to climb, should we only buy/keep to wear and tell time, or does collecting beautiful watches as objects, to look at in a glass case, give enough satisfaction? Depending on the watch, either scenario can work for me.

I know someone who collects antique masks, some hundreds of years old and some crazy expensive. They are only for display and he'd never, ever consider wearing them. I don't see why some vintage Rolexes wouldn't be the same.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2019, 06:09 AM   #22
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
I think most modern Rolexes should be carefully wrapped and stored in a safe until you are ready to resell. Vintage Rolexes should be immediately stored in a safety deposit box in the Bank. Enjoyment of all these watches comes from knowing you can make money on resale.

Even taking photos for Instagram is a risk, so you should buy replicas of your watches to photograph.

You cannot be too safe with a Rolex.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2019, 06:12 AM   #23
jlovda
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513,1675,216570
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
about 14 years ago my friend bought a nice Rolex gmt from a pawnshop, and I always wanted a gmt. my friend sold me one in 2003 and because it had the plastic crystal, nobody wanted them those days the guys were actually putting glass crystals on plastic crystal watches to make them look new. I bought it for $1300 and I thought I was overpaying. I ended up selling it to buy something new....fast forward several years later. I went to the pawn shop where my friend bought his GMT, he told me the old man at the pawn shop had another one that was older and it was cheap. so I go to the pawn shop the next day and asked the old man for the Gmt and he said "sorry your friend bought the nice one , I only have this old one here and its in bad shape , very old" when I looked at the watch I said damn thats old , but it was a 6542 , the old man wanted $900 dollars for the watch with everything original, it belonged to an old cuban pilot from the cuban airforce in the 50's ....so I passed on the watch , it was old looking to me at the time I didn't know what the hell a 6542 was back then... you gotta laugh .
I don't think there is a pawnshop in business today that would not want to charge DavidSW prices (or higher) on any used Rolex.
jlovda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2019, 07:16 AM   #24
DoxaDavid
"TRF" Member

I get what Steve is saying. It may not apply to all vintage watches but those that are truly rare or collectable and if damaged, unable to fix.

I was fortunate enough to come across a pristine vintage 1967 Doxa Searambler Chrono. There were around 50 made at the time and only a handful are known to exist. Parts are unobtainable so it only came out of the safe a few times on special occasions. I decided that wasn’t how I wanted to collect watches and only wanted ones that could be worn, not safe queens. Off it went to a vintage collector.

If it can’t be worn, I won’t buy it.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues. " Abraham Lincoln 1809-1865
DoxaDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2019, 07:19 AM   #25
statsman
"TRF" Member

I have stopped doing yard work with my 1972 1016 Explorer. I wear it almost everywhere else.

I collect old Texas bowl game watches. I will wear them out and about, but avoid rough stuff. My 1949 Cotton Bowl Hamilton was purchased in rough shape, and I got it fixed up, because I think watches should work and be worn. It keeps great time. I now have a 1971 Cotton Bowl Tudor Prince and a 1964 Cotton Bowl Seamaster. Both need some work, which I will have done. As a friend explained to his wife, when asked if he was really going to drink that whole six pack, “I didn’t buy ‘em just to look at!”
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2019, 07:43 AM   #26
levallois
"TRF" Member

A former brother in law - I lost him in the divorce - drove an old Aston Martin as his daily driver - don't remember what model but they only made a few of them like his. I am sure that parts and repairs would be exorbitant. Yet, he drove it everywhere and parked it anywhere in the greater D.C, Virginia, and Maryland areas. It was nerve racking to me but he said, "it's a car that I love to drive so I drive it." Now he lived down the street from Colin Powell and had lots of money if something should of happened to it, but I always remember him when it comes to old watches, old cars, old guns, etc. I am an archaeologist by trade and I wear my 1016 gilt Explorer whenever and wherever I want. I like it and it does the job as intended. Not in the same rarified air as these other models but not a small chunk of change for us po' folk if something should happen to it.
levallois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2019, 07:48 AM   #27
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

I sold a 1665 Great White for exactly this reason. It wasn’t enjoyable wearing it knowing that risks.
Old 27 December 2019, 08:58 AM   #28
JustinK
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1530,1665,1680
Probably the only watch I would prefer an aftermarket insert for.

I would wear it and enjoy with the Bakelite bezel safely stored.

JustinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2019, 09:31 AM   #29
air_king
"TRF" Member

The problem with that particular watch is the Bakelite bezel is what really sets it apart from any other watch. They are unfortunately very fragile if you wear it you run the very real risk of destroying the main thing that makes it unique in the first place.
air_king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2019, 09:52 AM   #30
2024 Pledge Member

I'd have to wonder how many 6542 bakelite bezels are damaged in storage or admiring at home versus daily or weekly wear. They're fragile regardless so it's always possible that damage could happen when you're trying to be careful versus enjoying and not thinking about it.

If there's one part of my GMT I think about, it's the insert. It's an original red-back. I don't want it to fade any further but can't bring myself to install a service insert for daily wear. So, I just enjoy it and hope for the best.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote