The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 28 December 2019, 08:15 AM   #31
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Can you truely enjoy a high-end vintage Rolex as it was intended?

It’s a good question best answered by those who own such a high-value vintage watch. Some can take a damaging incident in stride despite the loss of originality and subsequent devaluation if the Bakelite bezel was destroyed.

Others might have a major meltdown - they are the safe queen owners, by and large.

Shifting gears to a totally different angle - yet connected by comparison. Each year in the Monterey Classic Races at Laguna Seca, approximately $30 million worth of vintage race cars are on track during most races. A few are destroyed and most leave without a scratch.

The owners of the ones who race them can tolerate a massive loss (some cars are worth more than $2 million alone). They know that the car’s spirit for the sport is best displayed in competition.

There are other well-heeled collectors who visit the auctions and car shows where the only danger is a stray raindrop or bit of dust.

I think the owner of a very valuable 6542 GMT worth $100K will fall into one of those two categories.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2019, 11:45 AM   #32
watchknut
Banned

I wear all of my watches...many of the ones I own came from the original owners who wore them as intended.

My 6542 survived 40 years of daily wear, worn on heavy construction and mining sites by an engineer...with the bakelite still intact.

My 1675 gilt survived air assaults with the 1st Calvary in Vietnam...

My 14755 FAP survived a jet crash in the 1960s...

My 5512 gilt survived daily wear for 40+ years...took a hit at some point that caused the bezel to be lost and the crystal ring to crack, but dial and lume are 100%.

These watches were meant to be worn and enjoyed. In the last 20 years of wearing vintage Rolex on a daily basis, with 5 of those years wearing a 1680 red and a 1665 exclusively, I’ve damaged 1 watch...I caught the crystal on the 1665 on the car door. Other than that...nothing.

Unless you work in an environment where you risk constant contact with foreign objects, say like a mechanic or welder, then I think your risk of damage is rather low.
watchknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2019, 12:08 PM   #33
Filipćo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Never too many
It's a Rolex wear it and stop worrying.
Filipćo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2019, 01:53 PM   #34
jdmi32
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
I’ll wear any of my vintage Rolex watches in just about any situation except when swimming. They’ve gone camping and on hikes with me and made it through without issue.

I do think that if and when they reach a certain value, I will be less like to do this but for now I’ll just continue to wear and enjoy them.
jdmi32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2019, 05:21 PM   #35
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filipćo View Post
It's a Rolex wear it and stop worrying.
For modern watches, yes. For older vintage pieces that are worth high-five or six figures and are known to be delicate, you can worry a bit.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2019, 07:22 PM   #36
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
Personally I am way more worried for robberies than damaging a piece. With less and less cash around watch thefts are getting quite common in many big European cities unfortunately. Cities like London, Barcelona and Paris have had problems for years and even smaller places like Stockholm now have hundreds of watch robberies a year. Vintage pieces are probably not the first thing that criminsls look for but with some bad luck being in the wrong place at the wrong time you may lose whatever you have. Pretty sad development of society.
Old 28 December 2019, 10:45 PM   #37
Lol-x
Facilitator

Wow, quite a wide range of responses.
I'm not about to risk $100,000 on a bakelite GMT that I cannot wear with confidence, but then again if I loved the watch enough I guess I would spend the money just to have the watch on my wrist occasionally and as a collector it would be a remarkable watch to own.

It makes me think will any of these vintage watches be around in a couple of hundred years and should I care, because I wont be around to need to worry.

Like the analogy with the vintage cars, if you've got it and can afford to enjoy it, then do so now, because you'll never have the chance again.....it just may cost you a little more than you expected, like a crack appearing after a day in the sun...

I didn't consider a 1665 fragile, so it just goes to show we all have our own personal thresholds of what is an acceptable risk and I ride a motorcycle most days without protection on my wrist.
If it happens, it happens, move on and don't look back

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2019, 11:18 PM   #38
CalSRQ1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlovda View Post
I don't think there is a pawnshop in business today that would not want to charge DavidSW prices (or higher) on any used Rolex.
Yep internet has (mostly) eliminated pawn shop finds. With the quality of the fakes, including packaging, probably best anyway.
CalSRQ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2019, 02:08 AM   #39
offrdmania
2024 Pledge Member

If I owned the piece I would swap out the dial, hands and insert with modern recreations to wear it and if I ever wanted to sell it then I would have the originals that could go back in at anytime.
Old 29 December 2019, 04:37 PM   #40
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by offrdmania View Post
If I owned the piece I would swap out the dial, hands and insert with modern recreations to wear it and if I ever wanted to sell it then I would have the originals that could go back in at anytime.
Like owning Houdini's magic wand but swapping the shaft and tips out. If you can afford one of these, you might as well just keep it in the safe and buy a more rugged one for daily wear.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2019, 11:55 PM   #41
watchknut
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by offrdmania View Post
Why not just get a 1:1 replica made at that point.

And you are much more prone to damaging a bakelite bezel from removal and installation then you are wearing it. Same goes for a dial.

The reason I still have the original scratched to hell crystal on mine is that I don’t want to remove and repress the bezel. It’s a conundrum, but one I am willing to live with.
Old 29 December 2019, 11:56 PM   #42
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchknut View Post
I still wear my 6542...it survived for this long, and the original owner beat the hell out of it. Bakelite is still intact.
Pictures are appreciated
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2019, 12:02 AM   #43
watchknut
Banned

Here are a few...

ford focus 0 60

ford focus 0 60
Old 30 December 2019, 12:28 AM   #44
KBM
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Well done on enjoying it!
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2019, 03:16 AM   #45
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Well, I think you've answered the question that started this thread ... and then some! That is a stunning vintage GMT that appears to be enjoyed and worn as intended.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2019, 05:28 AM   #46
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2019, 07:51 AM   #47
jlovda
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513,1675,216570
The magic threshold for a "high value" watch is in the mind of the beholder. I am extremely lucky and fortunate to have been able to buy a 5513 (1970) and 1675 (1976) new when they were relatively cheap and I was single. Without any official appraisals I'm guessing they are worth between $10K and $15K each. They have tremendous sentimental value and I have always treated them special but since becoming a regular reader of TRF vintage threads their value scares me. There is a high probability these watches will become permanent "safe queens."
jlovda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2019, 10:12 AM   #48
Nickn
"TRF" Member

Lovely watch but I would have to polish the crystal
Nickn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2019, 10:46 AM   #49
levallois
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You are my hero!
levallois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2019, 11:28 AM   #50
watchknut
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickn View Post
Lovely watch but I would have to polish the crystal
It’s been polished...should have seen it before😂
Old 22 January 2020, 05:59 AM   #51
janice&fred
Banned

Watch: all of them!
Quote:
Originally Posted by statsman View Post
I have stopped doing yard work with my 1972 1016 Explorer. I wear it almost everywhere else.

I collect old Texas bowl game watches. I will wear them out and about, but avoid rough stuff. My 1949 Cotton Bowl Hamilton was purchased in rough shape, and I got it fixed up, because I think watches should work and be worn. It keeps great time. I now have a 1971 Cotton Bowl Tudor Prince and a 1964 Cotton Bowl Seamaster. Both need some work, which I will have done. As a friend explained to his wife, when asked if he was really going to drink that whole six pack, “I didn’t buy ‘em just to look at!”
oh boy. a good friend of ours Richard Carver collects these Cotton Bowl watches as well. you probably have already linked up with him
janice&fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2020, 06:01 AM   #52
mbc
2024 Pledge Member

Sorry, wrong thread!
mbc is offline   Reply With Quote