The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 8 January 2020, 09:55 PM   #1
Wizz
"TRF" Member

Need help to buy my first Rolex :)

Hello all,

I am currently looking to buy my first Rolex. I've been dreaming of a 15200 with black dial for about ten years now and can finally afford one, now I am taking some time to evaluate the options and document myself on the product before buying.

Having absolutely no prior experience of the watchmaking world here I am seeking for your expert's opinion about what to do to get it right the first time.

What should I be looking for in a 1998/1999 15200 with black dial? How much would be a fair price for a model in good condition, with or without original box and papers?

I am absolutely open to every suggestion you might have to offer.

Thank you very much ,
Martin
Wizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2020, 11:37 PM   #2
athom
"TRF" Member

imo I wouldn't pull the trigger in a world I don't have any idea about...
athom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2020, 11:44 PM   #3
Wizz
"TRF" Member

Which why I'm here, to start somewhere
Old 8 January 2020, 11:50 PM   #4
Wizz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by athom View Post
Where would you start?
Old 9 January 2020, 01:12 AM   #5
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by athom View Post
Did you read his post? He's doing this the right way. He's admitting he has a lot to learn, came here before pulling any triggers, is asking what to look for, and asking for any suggestions on what he can and should do the first time before pulling the trigger. Not sure why you would dissuade him.

Martin, good luck with the search. Check out all the threads on the 15200 on this forum and any other source you can find. And if you see one that loosk promising, post a link here and see what the experts can offer in terms of assessments.
Kingface66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2020, 01:22 AM   #6
LChanyungco
"TRF" Member

Check out chrono24 and average the prices that are listed there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizz View Post
Hello all,

I am currently looking to buy my first Rolex. I've been dreaming of a 15200 with black dial for about ten years now and can finally afford one, now I am taking some time to evaluate the options and document myself on the product before buying.

Having absolutely no prior experience of the watchmaking world here I am seeking for your expert's opinion about what to do to get it right the first time.

What should I be looking for in a 1998/1999 15200 with black dial? How much would be a fair price for a model in good condition, with or without original box and papers?

I am absolutely open to every suggestion you might have to offer.

Thank you very much ,
Martin
LChanyungco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2020, 01:25 AM   #7
rex311
Banned

I think you are on the right path to getting the watch, it is always import to know a lot about the watch before you purchase. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rex311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2020, 01:44 AM   #8
Bruce_Wayne
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116400GV Z-Blue
Once you get a good feel of the watch technically, this forum is also a good resource to find reputable sellers and dealer's. It's really easy to get drawn by lower prices and burned on some of the large auction websites. For a special purchase like this, it is worth paying a little more from a trusted seller.

Also, box and papers don't add to the function of the watch or indicate the service history. Depending on the watch, you can save a fairly significant amount of money. Some like the collectability if have a complete set, some like the history of knowing where and when the watch was sold. This is subjective to you.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Bruce_Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2020, 02:39 AM   #9
Wizz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingface66 View Post
Martin, good luck with the search. Check out all the threads on the 15200 on this forum and any other source you can find. And if you see one that loosk promising, post a link here and see what the experts can offer in terms of assessments.
I will, thank you for your answer! Already found a lot of infos looking for 15200 threads!
Old 9 January 2020, 02:43 AM   #10
Wizz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Wayne View Post
Once you get a good feel of the watch technically, this forum is also a good resource to find reputable sellers and dealer's. It's really easy to get drawn by lower prices and burned on some of the large auction websites. For a special purchase like this, it is worth paying a little more from a trusted seller.

Also, box and papers don't add to the function of the watch or indicate the service history. Depending on the watch, you can save a fairly significant amount of money. Some like the collectability if have a complete set, some like the history of knowing where and when the watch was sold. This is subjective to you.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Thanks a lot! I remarked the variability of the prices depending of whether the box and documents were present or not.

I just felt more secure with a complete set but I guess that's still not a proof of authenticity by any means, which is still what I am the most concerned about.
Old 9 January 2020, 06:04 PM   #11
Patou Batemanou
"TRF" Member

Forget the box/documents, they're pretty rare and mostly an excuse to increase the price for no reason.
Patou Batemanou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2020, 09:40 PM   #12
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Martin:

I envy the thrill of the hunt for your first Rolex. Here are some comments.

1. The 15200 is a 34 mm watch. In the past, I have owned a sold yg and a stainless 34mm date. Great watches, but today they would be too small for me. Since this is a significant purchase, I recommend that you make every effort to try one on and compare it to a 36mm, 39 mm and larger sizes.

2. If this were to be my one and only, I would make sure to buy one with the original oyster band. If you purchase a watch on on an aftermarket strap, and later decide you want an oyster band, you will be shocked at the cost.

3. Unless the watch you buy has a documented recent service from a RSC or a reputable independent, remember to factor in the price of a service. And this can greatly affect what you should pay for a given watch.

4. As an exercise, I always compare the price of a new model that does not need a service against the price of an older model. Sometimes the closeness in price surprises you. Particularly if you factor in a service.

5. For example, as far as the 15200, I have not done a thorough search, but let's say you buy a 15200 without box and papers for $3900. And let's say you have to spend $850 for a service. You now have a used older model watch with $4750 invested. And you have no box and papers. It will not be as easy to trade this watch if you want to down the road. Now lets' look at some other options.
  • The current Rolex date 115200 lists for $6,500. This comes with the newer movement, all the bells and whistles and of course a 5 year Rolex Guarantee.
  • In April of this year David SW (gold standard TS) had a 115200 with full kit and still under warranty for $4675. You might call him to see if he can source you one now and at what price.
  • David SW currenlty has a black dial June of 2018 239mm OP, for $5,300. Does it have a date? No. But it is stunner. And it has the balance of the 5 yr warranty. Is there room to negotiate? Don't know. But worth a call.
My point here is make sure and compare all of your options. Factor in the cost of service. An older model is not always the best value. Make some calls. You may be surprised at what you find.

Good luck and enjoy the hunt.
Old 9 January 2020, 09:43 PM   #13
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patou Batemanou View Post
Forget the box/documents, they're pretty rare and mostly an excuse to increase the price for no reason.
Depends. Much easier to trade or sell with box and papers. Unless we are talking about a truly vintage watch, like a 5513, I would not buy one without box and papers. Different strokes. But there are reasons to have box and papers.
Old 9 January 2020, 09:52 PM   #14
Wizz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjogger View Post
Martin:
Thank you very much for the help and precious advice. I'm more than thrilled at the moment! I'll take some time to compare everything I can find, as I already found 15200s ranging from $3000 to $6000 on the after market..
Old 9 January 2020, 09:57 PM   #15
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizz View Post
Thank you very much for the help and precious advice. I'm more than thrilled at the moment! I'll take some time to compare everything I can find, as I already found 15200s ranging from $3000 to $6000 on the after market..
Remember to come back to the forum and post more questions before you buy. Particularly if you are going to buy from a seller who is not a very very established seller.

And remember to post your new watch when you get it.

Old 9 January 2020, 10:00 PM   #16
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Martin:

1. The 15200 is a 34 mm watch. In the past, I have owned a sold yg and a stainless 34mm date. Great watches, but today they would be too small for me. Since this is a significant purchase, I recommend that you make every effort to try one on and compare it to a 36mm, 39 mm and larger sizes.

2. If this were to be my one and only, I would make sure to buy one with the original oyster band. If you purchase a watch on on an aftermarket strap, and later decide you want an oyster band, you will be shocked at the cost.

3. Unless the watch you buy has a documented recent service from a RSC or a reputable independent, remember to factor in the price of a service. And this can greatly affect what you should pay for a given watch.

4. As an exercise, I always compare the price of a new model that does not need a service against the price of an older model. Sometimes the closeness in price surprises you. Particularly if you factor in a service.

5. For example, as far as the 15200, I have not done a thorough search, but let's say you buy a 15200 without box and papers for $3900. And let's say you have to spend $850 for a service. You now have a used older model watch with $4750 invested. And you have no box and papers. It will not be as easy to trade this watch if you want to down the road. Now lets' look at some other options.
  • The current Rolex date 115200 lists for $6,500. This comes with the newer movement, all the bells and whistles and of course a 5 year Rolex Guarantee.
  • In April of this year David SW (gold standard TS) had a 115200 with full kit and still under warranty for $4675. You might call him to see if he can source you one now and at what price.
  • David SW currenlty has a black dial June of 2018 239mm OP, for $5,300. Does it have a date? No. But it is stunner. And it has the balance of the 5 yr warranty. Is there room to negotiate? Don't know. But worth a call.
My point here is make sure and compare all of your options. Factor in the cost of service. An older model is not always the best value. Make some calls. You may be surprised at what you find.

Really great response here
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2020, 10:06 PM   #17
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Really great response here
Frankly, I can't help but be a little jealous of Martin. The hunt for a first Rolex can be a lot of fun. And Martin definitely sounds like he is up to the task.
Old 9 January 2020, 11:02 PM   #18
Wizz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
And remember to post your new watch when you get it.
I will!
Old 10 January 2020, 12:10 AM   #19
Patou Batemanou
"TRF" Member

Quote:
t Rolex. Here are some comments.

1. The 15200 is a 34 mm watch. In the past, I have owned a sold yg and a stainless 34mm date. Great watches, but today they would be too small for me.
How come ? You wrist suddenly changed its size ?

You can't really go wrong with a 34mm unless you got very big wrists. You can SERIOUSLY go wrong with 39mm and bigger sizes. Especially with Rolex

This guy's never gonna pull the trigger, too much information. He's looking for a 2,5K watch, not a Daytona.

Wizz: buy from a trusted online seller, check it's genuine, good condition, and ideally recently serviced (not mandatory, those watch are workhorses), that will be FINE. Don't overthink it...
Patou Batemanou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2020, 12:46 AM   #20
Wizz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
How come ? You wrist suddenly changed its size ?

You can't really go wrong with a 34mm unless you got very big wrists. You can SERIOUSLY go wrong with 39mm and bigger sizes. Especially with Rolex

This guy's never gonna pull the trigger, too much information. He's looking for a 2,5K watch, not a Daytona.

Wizz: buy from a trusted online seller, check it's genuine, good condition, and ideally recently serviced (not mandatory, those watch are workhorses), that will be FINE. Don't overthink it...
I've got small wrists, 34mm is the perfect size for me so no hesitation about that :)

You're talking about 2,5K for a 15200, is that an average? I wish I could find a nice one that cheap.
Old 10 January 2020, 12:49 AM   #21
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Quote:
I disagree. I have don’t have big wrists (in fact, they're quite lean and stunning, if I must say!), but I’m 6’2” and the 34mm’s I’ve tried looked oddly small on my when looking at myself in a mirror. So, it's not about having big wrists, necessarily, but about the overall composition w respect to your size. Even the 36mm DJ I own, I find too small. The many, many Subs and GMTs I’ve owned, at least for me, are perfect.

As for 42mm and larger, yes, they can look utterly ridiculous.
Kingface66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2020, 02:07 AM   #22
TimeLord2
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Master 1675/3
Quote:
Frankly, I can't help but be a little jealous of Martin. The hunt for a first Rolex can be a lot of fun. And Martin definitely sounds like he is up to the task.
Well played @mountainjogger and really great advice.
TimeLord2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2020, 05:03 AM   #23
fooey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Quite a few now!
did you manage to find one?
fooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2020, 11:05 AM   #24
Michaeli Paulo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Quote:
Martin:

Nice work, mj!!!
Michaeli Paulo is offline   Reply With Quote