The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 23 January 2020, 01:57 AM   #1
brent95m3
"TRF" Member

Thoughts on this 1655?

I'm looking to add a 1655 to my collection and am considering this 1977 Freccione. Any thoughts on hands/bezel/bracelet, etc? Also if anyone has thoughts on value, would you mind sending me a PM with your opinions?

Thank you.

brent95m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 03:43 AM   #2
mbc
2024 Pledge Member

What’s first two digits of serial #? On first look, looks like an mk5 dial with an mk3 bezel and bracelet is vc (1978). No huge immediate red flags for me although mk3 bezel is a little late...and I only say that given the recent ‘discovery’ of another version of the mk3 bezel, but that’s a whole different discussion...
mbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 04:52 AM   #3
brent95m3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbc View Post
What’s first two digits of serial #? On first look, looks like an mk5 dial with an mk3 bezel and bracelet is vc (1978). No huge immediate red flags for me although mk3 bezel is a little late...and I only say that given the recent ‘discovery’ of another version of the mk3 bezel, but that’s a whole different discussion...

Case serial 5'35X'XXX

Original 78360/580 bracelet, VC date code (1978)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
brent95m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 09:45 AM   #4
mbc
2024 Pledge Member

Looks decently solid to me, crown guards look a little polished down, but could be the pic. i'm sure others will weigh in as well.
Old 23 January 2020, 10:29 AM   #5
TurboWatch
"TRF" Member

The watch at best is a put-together watch. If the serial is indeed what you stated, the dial is wrong for the watch. Hands are service.
TurboWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 11:30 AM   #6
mbc
2024 Pledge Member

I’ll try to be a bit more helpful. Your watch components (dial and bezel) don’t neatly fit into the conventional serial ranges (and possibly are too far outside the ranges).

But I wouldn’t definitively says it’s a put together watch (others may). Mk4 and mk5 dials overlapped, with conventional knowledge saying mk4 started at 5.5mm and mk5 started at 6.0mm.

5.35mm would suggest it should be the mk3 rail dial. My view is that these things are not absolute cut offs and there were a lot of components floating around in the 5mm serial range, so I personally wouldn’t rule out the possibility of being factory.

Could also be a that it was originally an mk3 dial and was changed to an mk5 as a service swap (which isn’t a ‘put together’)

On the bezel front, conventional info says the mk3 was between 1977 and 1980 and usually paired with the mk4, but it’s seems to me that a pairing with an mk5 dial was possible given the dial overlap.

Clear as day, huh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk