The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 23 February 2020, 02:47 AM   #1
raveltime
"TRF" Member

Omega SMPc (non-wave) or Air-King 114200?

Hi, new to the forums and looking for my first luxury watch. I am between getting in pre-owned condition one of these two discontinued models:

Omega Seamaster 212.30.41.20.03.001 non-wave dial (black dial would be an option as well).

Or a Rolex Air-King 114200 silver (blue dial would be an option too).

Which of these would be a better watch? More comfortable bracelet? I have a 6.5. in. wrist and tried that specific Seamaster model at the AD that had the last one and it fit perfectly. I tried the newer 42mm Seamaster but it looked too big, so the previous non-wave ceramic fits nicely. I would obviously buy pre-owned.

I don't have a chance in person to try the 34mm Air-King 114200 but I am pretty sure it would fit perfect on a 6.5 in. wrist because this model looks a bit larger than 34mm due to the case construction.

Since this is my first luxury purchase and it will be a commemorative for a special event coming up in the next few months, resale value will not matter in this case since it would be a keeper in my collection (the Rolex will probably hold more value FWIW).

My current small collection all has entry level Seiko's 5 and Orients (which I am selling to help fund this purchase as well!). My SARB017 is probably be the only one I will keep.

Price wise the OMSc pre-owned is around $2500-3000, while the Air-King 114600 is a little bit more around $3300-3600. Willing to pay a bit more to have a used mint condition of either (with box & p.). I would probably buy it here on the forums or on WatchRecon from a reputable seller.

Any help is greatly appreciated onto which would be the better option to go with!
raveltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2020, 02:52 AM   #2
Andrés G
"TRF" Member

Between those two, I prefer the Seamaster. The date feature is handy plus it has a more legible dial.
Andrés G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2020, 03:18 AM   #3
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
I'd go for the Seamaster on this choice. It's a good looking and comfortable diver with more going on for your first piece, it looks like a winner to me.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2020, 04:55 AM   #4
raveltime
"TRF" Member

Icon7

Quote:
Originally Posted by raveltime View Post
Air-King 114600 is a little bit more around $3300-3600.
Sorry for the type, it is 114200.
Old 25 February 2020, 07:23 AM   #5
stockae92
"TRF" Member

I don't know but I feel like anything under 36mm would be small for men unless its a vintage (and I mean VINTAGE, older than yourself).

I would stick to the more modern size Omega in this case. The non-wave SMPc is awesome, all-round watch thats really good for EVERYTHING.

The only thing is that It doesn't have a engrave-friendly caseback in case you want to engrave it to mark your special moment.
stockae92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 08:55 AM   #6
ts3
"TRF" Member

Very different watches but easy call for me to make - I'd pick the Rolex despite not being a Rolex fanboy at all.

I have similarly sized wrists and am frequently wearing a 34mm Calatrava (but also other stuff at 38mm and 40mm), so no concern as to the 34mm size of the Rolex. It is the much more classy piece than that Seamaster in my view. The Seamaster case and dial are ok but the bracelet is hideous and far too ornate for what is supposed to be a tool watch. Among the 34mm Air Kings I like the white dial version w black markers best but the one in the pic is nice too.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 04:40 PM   #7
karanmnoyan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrés G View Post
Between those two, I prefer the Seamaster. The date feature is handy plus it has a more legible dial.

Agreed ! SMPC all the way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
karanmnoyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 11:45 PM   #8
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Seamaster
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2020, 12:49 AM   #9
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

The SMPc is my favorite modern Seamaster. Before a Sub basically fell into my lap that was going to be my next purchase. Stunning watches that will be viewed more and more favorably in the future IMO due to no waves on the dial. I'd go SMPc all the way.
mgsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2020, 04:40 AM   #10
raveltime
"TRF" Member

I will probably go with a SMPc, and get a Rolex later on.

Problem now with the SMPc non-wave dial is that both black and blue versions are gorgeous. Not sure about the black date window on the blue version though..
Old 27 February 2020, 10:37 AM   #11
raveltime
"TRF" Member

I am considering this black-dial SMPc. Comes with full set of box (wooden box) and papers, pictograms and international warranty cards, and has about 3.5 years left of warranty. Would $2650 be a good deal for this?

Old 29 February 2020, 01:19 PM   #12
Justindo
"TRF" Member

That's a good price for the Omega. Both are great watches, though, so buy whichever yo like better.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2020, 03:35 PM   #13
raveltime
"TRF" Member

UPDATE: Bought the black SMPc! I like the bling and quality of the bracelet. Hope to get a vintage Air King as my first Rolex in the future.

Old 3 March 2020, 03:36 PM   #14
Justindo
"TRF" Member

Congratulations. Nice watch! I think you made the right choice.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2020, 06:41 PM   #15
Tringer
"TRF" Member

Yeah good choice. I like the air king too. But between the two the omega should serve you better. Get the rolex later. Wearing my SMPC 42 now. Love it.
Tringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2020, 10:51 PM   #16
raveltime
"TRF" Member

Thank you everyone for the help. The crown when screwing back in after winding is a bit harder to screw it. It takes a lot more of force than my SARB017 Alpinist when screwing back in.

Is it normal that it takes the crown a lot of force necessary while pressing and screwing back in?

Should I worry if I over force while pressing and screwing back in risking any damage?
Old 4 March 2020, 12:42 AM   #17
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raveltime View Post
Thank you everyone for the help. The crown when screwing back in after winding is a bit harder to screw it. It takes a lot more of force than my SARB017 Alpinist when screwing back in.

Is it normal that it takes the crown a lot of force necessary while pressing and screwing back in?

Should I worry if I over force while pressing and screwing back in risking any damage?
If I had to guess it's because of the gaskets, 300m WR and all. Unless you're feeling a grinding/gritty sensation I don't think I'd worry.

Can't say enough how much I dig the SPMc. Not wild about the bracelet but the good thing is that unlike modern Subs it will absolutely kill on a wide variety of straps.
mgsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2020, 04:19 AM   #18
raveltime
"TRF" Member

Yes! One of the reasons I went for the black SMPc vs the blue one was that it looks amazing on lots of straps, especially NATO's.