The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 12 January 2013, 05:05 PM   #1
Mdk
"TRF" Member

Icon9 Rolex in Tenerife

Hi

As with many people, I have always wanted a Rolex and I think the time is getting close. I am going to Tenerife in 2 months and was toying with the idea of getting one there, firstly is there an advantage in terms of vat (I live in Ireland with 23% vat!) and does anyone know how prices fair compared to elsewhere? Also, what is availability like?

Mank thanks
Mdk
Mdk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2013, 07:20 AM   #2
Scunner
"TRF" Member

Watch: the Weather
I haven't been to Tenerife but have been to Gran Canaria, it is the only place in the world where I have felt on guard! Too many of the 'locals' locking onto what was on my wrist. There was an abundance of fakes on show in Gran Canaria. All the Canary Islands are a haven for fakes and scams. That said however, it is also a Tax haven so my advice would be to do your homework before landing and only buy from a listed Authorised Dealer, conduct a search on this forum for Tenerife, it brings up some mixed responses. Good luck with your purchase
Old 19 January 2013, 05:59 PM   #3
Mdk
"TRF" Member

Thanks Scunner
Mdk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2013, 12:32 AM   #4
Glen Sannox
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner LV
There is an AD in Playa de Las Americas. I got chatting with one of the staff and it appeared to me that the prices were dearer than the UK.
Glen Sannox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2013, 12:53 AM   #5
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
i trust you know but Tenerife isn t part of the EU , so take care at the customs.

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2013, 02:40 AM   #6
zeuloa
"TRF" Member

Watch: SEA-DWELLER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passionata View Post
i trust you know but Tenerife isn t part of the EU , so take care at the customs.
I could be wrong, but Tenerife sure is part of the EU as the Canary Islands are Spanish territory. As a matter if fact I think it's the outermost territory o the EU.
zeuloa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2013, 03:34 AM   #7
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Sorry i explained wrong ,it s the part of the EU but out of its taxation
http://www.stmevents.com/non_eu_customs_allowances.html

Best
George

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2013, 01:04 AM   #8
Chris MC
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few... ;)
I went to check the prices of the Rolex shop in Playa de las Americas in Tenerife, they are about 20% cheaper than in Belgium for the same watch. Also, a normal maintenance will costs about 200 euros where the same costs 700 € at Rolex Brussels...
Tenerife has no or a very low VAT (3% I believe) so most purchases (even Ipads or smartphones) will be cheaper than in EU.
Chris MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2013, 01:12 AM   #9
Chris MC
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few... ;)
My father in law lives in Tenerife so I go there regularly with my wife. We went to visit the Rolex shop of Playa de las Americas a few times. They had exactly the same Sub than mine for sale. Euro (Belgium) price : about 12.100 euros. Tenerife price : +/- 10.000 euros.
Tenerife (with the rest of the Canary islands) has a very low VAT, about 2-3%, where the rest of EU applies from 19 to 23 %.
So yes, buying in Tenerife (even smartphones or iPads) will be cheaper than the rest of EU.

A normal watch maintenance costs at Rolex Brussels about 700 euros. The same (I asked) maintenance is about 200 euros (2012 price) in Tenerife.
Should you leave your watch there for maintenance or repair, you get a price quote in 24 hrs. For a heavy repair, they will send your watch to Rolex Switzerland, as most other countries do I believe.

I hope this helps ! :)
Chris MC is offline   Reply With Quote