The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 5 July 2016, 05:08 AM   #1
collarcity
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570, 14060M
Icon4 Scammer: Burpee7 / jamesphilly50@yahoo.com

Typical story--PMs me in response to a WTB thread asking to shift the discussion to e-mail for photos and pricing. Claims to have a mint and serviced 14060M with full kit for the suspiciously low price of $3650 to be paid via wire. From jamesphilly50@yahoo.com:

For kicks, I ask for a photo of the watch on a piece of paper with his name, James Philly, and today's date written on it for verification. This is where thieves typically go silent and move on, but "James" actually took the time to photoshop the below. Doesn't take a graphic designer to discern the glaring irregularities here, but his tenacity is admirable I guess.

Other red flags are his TRF user ID Burpee7 indicating he's from Alabama, but he provided me with Orlando phone number 407-809-5500, and the photoshopped date appearing as DD/MM rather than MM/DD indicative of overseas formatting. Happy 4th of July, James.
collarcity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2016, 05:15 AM   #2
collarcity
"TRF" Member

Also just noticed the first watch is a four-liner and the second is a two-liner. Ha.
Old 5 July 2016, 05:16 AM   #3
watchgroupcorp
Banned

Watch: Rolex 1665 DRSD
Good catch on the date format. It's easy to overlook when the day of the month is 12 or under. 28/05/2016 is much easier to detect than 04/07/2016.
watchgroupcorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2016, 05:20 AM   #4
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
And he is now banned....Also once again warning doing WTB ad's opens you up to a world of scammers and is way that 99% of folks here get scammed when they do. So why not browse FS section and buy from someone with solid feedback?

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2016, 05:29 AM   #5
collarcity
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
And he is now banned....Also once again warning doing WTB ad's opens you up to a world of scammers and is way that 99% of folks here get scammed when they do. So why not browse FS section and buy from someone with solid feedback?
Thank you for acting on this and yes, I agree on WTB threads. I purchased pledge membership for the rights to create one hoping it would be a tool in my quest for a 14060M. I now see it's unlikely to help, but may as well leave it up and give back to the community by reporting thieves who contact me.

Just curious--what is exactly banned? User ID? E-mail? IP?

Thanks again, HL.
Old 5 July 2016, 06:55 AM   #6
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by collarcity View Post
Thank you for acting on this and yes, I agree on WTB threads. I purchased pledge membership for the rights to create one hoping it would be a tool in my quest for a 14060M. I now see it's unlikely to help, but may as well leave it up and give back to the community by reporting thieves who contact me.

Just curious--what is exactly banned? User ID? E-mail? IP?

Thanks again, HL.
User ID.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2016, 09:23 AM   #7
collarcity
"TRF" Member

Another note--scammer stole the identity of a long-time WuS member with the same user ID.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/member.php?u=101761
Old 7 July 2016, 03:14 AM   #8
shawnmarz
2024 Pledge Member

A quick reverse image search on google of the photos he sent me led to a FS thread on these forums. I highly recommend doing this.
Old 17 February 2019, 08:37 AM   #9
Burpee7
"TRF" Member

OK,
Someone hacked my account. I'm Burpee7 and have never even made a post on TRF. I contacted the moderator and he told me I had been hacked and had to pay $20 or so to get it fixed. I'm a retired USMC Colonel and would never do anything to damage my name or reputation. I wonder how this can be removed. Someone won't buy a watch from me on WUS due to this post...I hope the moderators can solve this...urg!
Burpee7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2019, 09:03 AM   #10
collarcity
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burpee7 View Post
Someone hacked my account. I'm Burpee7 and have never even made a post on TRF. I contacted the moderator and he told me I had been hacked and had to pay $20 or so to get it fixed. I'm a retired USMC Colonel and would never do anything to damage my name or reputation. I wonder how this can be removed. Someone won't buy a watch from me on WUS due to this post...I hope the moderators can solve this...urg!
I'm confused. TRF unbanned your account for $20?

Is jamesphilly50@yahoo.com your e-mail address?
Old 17 February 2019, 09:11 AM   #11
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
OK,

Pledge and then sell here too. Or just pay the $20 for a dormant account recovery. Problem solved.

The regular pledges here pay to support the maintenance of the site for a reason. Mods invest their time too. And helping people sell on other sites isn’t really a Forum mandate imop.

Thanks for your service.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2019, 09:18 AM   #12
Welshwatchman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
OK,
Quote:
I'm confused. TRF unbanned your account for $20?

Is jamesphilly50@yahoo.com your e-mail address?
Close to reality but not quite there.

If the Burpee account created a sales thread here, as would have been the account holder's privilege, then it transpired that the account password may have been given by Burpee to a scammer, we would have banned the account until such time proof of rightful ownership had been established by site admin.

$20 admin charge by the Admin. Seems ok to me.
Old 17 February 2019, 09:30 AM   #13
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
OK,

Well it’s been so long ago it is understandable you forgot about your first post: https://www.rolexforums.com/showpost...98&postcount=1

The original warning the OP posted about your TRF userID was over 2 years ago so it’s in all the search engines already - not really reversible IMHO.

If you also had your WUS account hacked, how did you get it reinstated? Could that be the reason the buyer is reluctant?

Maybe best path is to become a pledge member here and put your watch up for sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2019, 09:51 AM   #14
collarcity
"TRF" Member

If the story is true, abandon the username. The hacker was using it to scam others so the reputation of the name is destroyed.
Old 17 February 2019, 10:11 AM   #15
77T

Quote:
If the story is true, abandon the username. The hacker was using it to scam others so the reputation of the name is destroyed.

That is an option here if the Mods agree to delete the old ID to allow a new ID. Rules won’t permit holding 2 IDs on TRF

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2019, 10:42 AM   #16
801rolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Great catch on the date
801rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 12:51 AM   #17
Burpee7
"TRF" Member

I appreciate the comments. Does becoming a pledge member fix this? Can I still use my Burpee7 user name? I have not been banned at WUS and I use the same username and have for a long time. Who in their right mind would have Burpee7 as there user name and then have a totally different yahoo email? My last name is Burpee and there is 7 of us in my family. I just searched Burpee7 here and it says I live in Alabama. I live in Glendale CA and never have lived in Alabama :). btw, I never gave my user password to anyone. I don't even know anyone that likes watches...:)
Old 21 February 2019, 12:56 AM   #18
Burpee7
"TRF" Member

No, it's not my email. I guess I need to change my account as suggested. Interesting I have had this user name for years here and on WUS.
Old 21 February 2019, 02:09 AM   #19
Burpee7
"TRF" Member

OK, I'm a Pledge member now how do I get this fixed. Can the Moderator help please?
Old 21 February 2019, 02:24 AM   #20
Knappo 1307

Watch: Sea Dweller
Quote:
OK, I'm a Pledge member now how do I get this fixed. Can the Moderator help please?
You paid for a pledge 14 minutes ago, give it a minute and a moderator will color you up. Welcome back...
Knappo 1307 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burpee7 , jamesphilly50@yahoo.com , scam , thief