The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Old 29 April 2012, 08:47 AM   #121
cakey007
"TRF" Member

I really like it, and more I look at them, the more I think I may end up with one,
cakey007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2012, 07:45 PM   #122
CLRBLULITE

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_allie View Post
Jeff the watch has its place for people that like big watches. I get what your trying to say that classic rolex like the 40mm sub are Rolex forte. but change is not bad .. if their is some following. I love the deepsea .. I also own a classic sub ..
Change is uncomfortable, but good IMO.
CLRBLULITE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2012, 11:48 PM   #123
LambChopFamily

I stop looking at watches in 2002 when I bought my Yacht Master. I was happy with my collection Sub Bi-metal, SD, Tudor OysterDate, Yacht Master. In 2008 I added one of the last SD to my collection. The SD had a very special place in my collection, its such a special Rolex. My Yacht Master was my daily work watch for 10 years. Never missed a beat, never been serviced. Till 2009 when I first tried the DSSD in a Airport while travelling. Wow what a watch. Work was busy so never thought about it till this year, finally had the DSSD added to my collection. One word "sooner". I should had done it sooner, what had I missed for 3 years. This is Rolex's most outstanding watch in my opinion. Once it settled in your wrist, the size and weight disappears. But the boldness is always there when you look at it.

Guys this watch is fantastic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20120414_124508.jpg (231.8 KB, 313 views)
File Type: jpg 20120414_124415.jpg (221.3 KB, 315 views)
File Type: jpg 20120414_124522.jpg (228.7 KB, 313 views)
File Type: jpg 20120414_124602.jpg (214.0 KB, 311 views)
LambChopFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2012, 05:40 AM   #124
floater156
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
There are haters on every model, just sip the hateraid and enjoy. I Love it.
Old 11 May 2012, 11:34 AM   #125
Dennis2005

Watch: 116710
I owned a SD 4000 for 5 years, it's a fantastic watch.

Just couldn't take my eyes off the Deep Sea anytime I set foot inside the local AD.

The 116660 is MUCH more attractive in person than most photos convey.

Picked up one myself a few weeks ago. I still can't believe I own her.

I think the history and technology behind the Sea Dweller is fascinating!

Enjoy your new watch! Congratulations!
Dennis2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2012, 01:40 PM   #126
StImierKY
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600
dssd vs sub-c - thoughts after 1 week with dssd

This was the end of my first week with my DSSD. And it's been a good one. But I had been talking with friends about the 14060m non-date and also the Sub-C. I began to doubt - was DSSD too big? I stopped by two ADs in my city (one had the 14060m and a two-tone sub, and the other had the sub-c). I did a lot of looking and evaluating.
Some (not entirely original) impressions were:
a) the sub-C is WAY smaller than the DSSD. Most of the felt difference is in the thickness. The bezel operation and crown operation is almost the same and very high quality on both, but slightly better on the DSSD, it seemed to me.
b) Some major differences in looks come from the matte dial on DSSD vs shinier dial on the sub-C.
c) The bezel on each is ceramic, but the color seems to shift more on the DSSD bezel - it can often seem grey or blue-ish, but on the sub-C it seems a more even shinier black.

d) the comments on the forum a about removing the diver's extension on the dssd bracelet and replacing it with two links, to make the overall bracelet feel much more comfortable (particularly on a somewhat smallish 6.5 inch wrist) are totally true. I did that and it made a noticeable and positive difference.

e) DSSD is not too big - you just have to decide that it's not too big. I have read a lot of comments that it is too big, and they seem to come from Rolex die-hards, rather than people new to the brand for whom DSSD is their first Rolex. People who have been wearing a PO XL 45.5mm, or a PO Chrono, or a Superocean 44, or an Avenger Seawolf etc. etc. are not going to think the DSSD is too big at all. It does stand out size-wise in the Rolex range, but amongst high(er) quality watches it really is not that big after all.

f) I wore a 38mm Longines Expeditions Polaires Francaises to church today (a perfectly fine watch that I do like) but after about 10 minutes I really strongly missed the reassuring solidity and power and "no worries -at all-" feeling of the DSSD. I was so glad to get home and switch back to DSSD.

g) I think that DSSD may be a continuation of the sub ethos, not a departure. When the sub first came out in the 50s, it was large(r) and robust(er) than all of its counterpart watches from Rolex or otherwise. It was as large as it needed to be to go as deep as the technology of the time allowed, but didn't depart from norms of quiet good taste more than the demands of function required. So too, today, the technological limits have shifted, so the watch is bulked up. It's as large as it needs to be to give the maximum technologically possible performance, but not larger, and is as restrained within those boundaries as it can be. The inputs are different, so the DSSD output differs, but the decision logic in the design and why the design choices were made as they were are consistent, I think.

The DSSD is becoming quite comfortable and I hope very much to end up turning it into a vintage piece slowly over time, over the next 35-40 years. It will collect stories, and probably then, as now, look a lot better than the guy wearing it.

cheers,
stimierky
StImierKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2012, 05:18 AM   #127
ydna808
"TRF" Member

I'm also lovin my DS as well. It's definitely a "man's man's" watch, imo
ydna808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2012, 05:50 AM   #128
HRV
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEX
I love mine
HRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2012, 11:52 PM   #129
drjfc62

Watch: DSSD, TT sub
Update from my post of the other day. I got one! Visited the local AD yesterday and they hadn't yet put the new price tags on so I snagged the one they had--instant equity? Anyway, I've wanted this watch for a LONG time and am absolutely thrilled with it. It seems the perfect watch to me.
drjfc62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2012, 02:54 AM   #130
RedneckRich
"TRF" Member

Watch: Deepsea
I bought mine yesterday, I still cannot believe I am actually wearing the watch of my dreams.
RedneckRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2012, 11:33 AM   #131
Rolex74
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD DJII PAM 005
I am looking at trading my DJ and my Sub, and cash for a DSSD, it is a great watch, I had it on my wrist and I loved how it felt.
Rolex74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2012, 03:02 AM   #132
jokb
"TRF" Member

Congratulations on your new DSSD!

I'm new to the forums as well and been looking at a DSSD or SD for a while now. Tried my co-workers SD and it just looks small on my wrist. Going to an AD to see the DSSD.

Harder to find Rolex's here in Canada but my hunt officially begins!
jokb is offline   Reply With Quote