The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 24 April 2012, 02:51 PM   #1
007Sub
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5514
Vintage Service Advice needed from Sub aficionados

Hello all,

So its time to get my vintage sub serviced. I've decided to go to RSC-NYC. I know that the movement will need a full service but with regard to the cosmetics... the watch is in good condition but could use a little re-brushing. I would never change any of the aesthetic original parts (aside from perhaps the crystal which has a few small chips and the case back which has remnants of an engraving from the previous owner).

My question is this... in terms of value retention... should I avoid having ANY cosmetic re-brushing done? Will i loose lug thickness from case re-brushing? Should I avoid even a crystal and case-back replacements?

Your thoughts and counsel are appreciated.

Thanks!
G

@true_patina
@true.dome
007Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2012, 09:15 PM   #2
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
You have a thread here and in the vintage section which might make for a more confusing discusion expecially since you have asked lightly different questions in both threads.

However, you can never gain metal by polishing no matter who does it, so avoid it whenever possible.

All original is best with exception of things that can trully destroy the integrity of the rest of the watch. Anything such as a bad crystal or case back which might let moisture in the watch is never a good thing. Try to retain the original parts if possible however. Unfortunately RSC generally does not return replaced reparts.

A good number of vintage owners here prefer using the services of a person like Bob Ridley instead of RSC when servicing a vintage watch for a number of reasons.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
re-brushing , service , submariner , vintage