The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Old 25 December 2012, 09:50 PM   #1
Bling72
"TRF" Member

Is it really a no brainer ? Rolex vs Mont Blanc

Hello apologies for my hiatus from the forum. I saved up a bit of a penny so to speak. I live on Perth, Australia now I'm on holiday on Melbourne (on the easy side of Australia).

I hit a bit of a dilemma, I need perhaps some perception on this. First the history:

1. Enjoyed watching the many videos on both brands I understand their history.

2. Visited the two Rolex ADs in Perth. The sales lady of the first one didn't really know much about Rolex. I knew more than her, don't need a sales staff to tell me Rolex is a nice watch. She was asking how was I going to pay for it 20 mins into walking into the store. I politely responded that I'd think about it. English wasn't her first language but spoke clearly. She called me 3 weeks later to say she will give me a good deal if I returned within the next 2 days.

The second store, the gentleman was also the owner didn't waste time to give me a history lesson plus a list of his horologists skills. Didn't quite feel like I would be able to proceed with a purchase as I didn't feel relaxed in the store.

3. Was thinking of the date just which was near 6k Australian, but the face was too small for my wrist.

The Milgauss is a perfect face size for my wrist. Build wise it would last longer than some other models because there's no date mechanic plus the extra resistance to electromagnetic fields. I tried it on, it feels lovely to wear but it doesn't grab me. When something grabs me I would most likely buy it and 95% of the time I will keep loving the product. It was too easy to say no.

Price tag is over 9k Australian which I am sick to death that 100% of everything must be cheaper in other countries. They jack the prices in Australia so much.

4. Feedback from family. 9k for anything automatically disowned and none of them like anything that costs $200. Set in their ways. No friends like any jewellery brands so their opinion.mean less than nothing to me. They carry a $1500 watch do I don't understand their snobbery about paying a lot for anything.

5. Now in melb for holiday. Went to the Collins Street Mont Blanc store love the red gold belt. Really grabbed me. I walked in wearing a Tshirt and jeans, was approached by staff. Knew the product every piece of history every detail of every product, I won't hint what else the staff member knew but let's just say I was in good hands. Did not come across as pushy at all. Felt comfortable at all times. The Mont Blanc watches felt good and heavy when I tried it on. Look very very nice. The retail for some of the models were about $3.2k but is negotiable.

6. Not been to the Rolex ADs in Melb so I will visit them next 2 days. Experience should be different to Perth. Customer service is important to me.

This is where my dilemma lies:

Is there no point comparing the two ? Rolex or nothing? Will I be happier with Rolex after 20 years because nothing else would last that long?

I guess if I went with the Mont Blanc watch I'd be a little out of radar of ... 3k to 9k big difference for my spending power.

I however when I want to buy something really nice that I would love for years and years, I want to do it properly and if I need to do it once, I'll bite the bullet and get what would make me happier. Lets set the record straight I'm not a brand junkie I don't buy anything because of the name alone. My other passion is stereo hifi. Have an excellent hifi sound system. Took 7 years to find the correct upgrades when each component was available. I even own $600 speaker cables and that's the cheapest component on my entire system. No cinema can deliver sound with more clarity in Perth than my system.

If I feel Rolex is the decision I cannot buy it yet. Too much money to part with but I could buy it if I wanted.

Sorry if I confused anyone or wasted your time by reading it.

If I can get some insight on either or both, at least it might make it easier to make the most suitable choice. Maybe I am not ready for a Rolex. I must make up my mind by the 4th of Jan.

If I end up not getting either watch because I should get neither one of them, it won't change my decision about the belt. I will get it before I leave Melb.

Thoughts and insight please. Thanks.
Bling72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2012, 12:12 AM   #2
joe100
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer
You want the Rolex, get the Rolex. You're going to view the MB as a compromise every single day. Who cares what your family thinks? If you can afford it, and no one will have to do without ANYTHING other than superfolus luxury goods, then treat yourself. Why not purchased on the pre-loved market here? Save yourself an Aussie dollar or two and have what you want. Now that is a no-brainer
Old 26 December 2012, 12:20 AM   #3
Bling72
"TRF" Member

Ok well I would definitely need to see the other Rolex models. So definitely go to the AD stores in Melb have seen only 2 models up close.
Old 28 December 2012, 01:07 AM   #4
Bling72
"TRF" Member

Rolex, no brainer

I went to the looking glass in Melb today and look a look at their Rolex range. I put on the Explorer II and with the 42mm dial it feels more complete on my wrist. To me it feels nicer on my hand than the Milgauss.

However the Submarina date looks stunning, I like the green dial, however there were none to try on or see in the store.

Now it's clear next watch must be a Rolex.
Old 28 December 2012, 01:25 AM   #5
jamesbondOO7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex or nothing
Rolex is the only watch to long for.
Old 28 December 2012, 01:26 AM   #6
financeman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
That is why I always say to try on so many watches to make sure you are making the rift decision. Eventually, the right watch will jump out at you and you will know what to get. Post up some pics when you get it.

financeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2012, 02:38 AM   #7
Furbo
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bling72 View Post
I went to the looking glass in Melb today and look a look at their Rolex range. I put on the Explorer II and with the 42mm dial it feels more complete on my wrist. To me it feels nicer on my hand than the Milgauss.

However the Submarina date looks stunning, I like the green dial, however there were none to try on or see in the store.

Now it's clear next watch must be a Rolex.
Do try submariner date, it will make for a great first Rolex. (I also naively thought that it will be my last)
Furbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2012, 02:47 AM   #8
andromeda160
Banned

Watch: Rolex Oyster
i really don't agree with your no date theory, both date and no date watches should be serviced at the same intervals as far as i know, they'll both run just as long it's just less to break on a no date watch. With regular servicing you shouldn't experience any problems with your watch, im wearing a 40 year old rolex oyster and it loses about a second or 2 a day. buy whatever you like and looks nice. you'll probably lose as much money on that mont blanc as you will on your rolex over 10 years. and over time who knows you might make money off of the rolex. Also, if new model rolex' don't peak your interest, look at some of the older variations(smaller subs different lug styles ect.) maybe those are more your style. and if your buying an older rolex your pretty much guaranteed it to maintain its value with proper maintenance.
andromeda160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2012, 11:44 PM   #9
Bling72
"TRF" Member

Hello, thank you all for the feedback. All of you make valuable points. That's it I'm convinced on Rolex, 100%. They make me feel different when I'm near them as oppsosed to other brands. However financeman made a point I live by. It had to reach out and grab me. I need to see the entire submarina range. I already know what I won't get. Anything less than 40mm. 40-42 looks natural on my wrist.

Of course I would have the watch serviced at the recommended intervals.
Old 29 December 2012, 03:28 AM   #10
powerfunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1530
I believe at least one ND sub is currently in the FS section of this forum for under $3.5k. You could easily get a nice used Sub or GMT for $4-5k.

So to me personally, yes, skipping the $3,000 Montblanc is a no-brainer unless it utterly sings to you...and I think if it did, you'd have it on your wrist by now.
powerfunk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2013, 10:51 AM   #11
Bling72
"TRF" Member

I think the only ones that sing very loudly to me are the gold ones that sell over 20k and that's pre loved prices lol. I can see myself as a mini Rolrx collector in the future. However budget will not support it for now. Obviously I'd like to get a Rolex of my birth year (1972), however my priority for now is a modern watch. The closest it is to brand new the better.

I believe the Milguauss would fit my lifestyle and IT profession. The explorer II is also nice and a little more affordable. Ideally if I can get a preloved one with the original warranty still intact it would be a near perfect scenario.

In terms of something I can't take my eyes off, I don't need any specific functions even if I could afford any Rolex, what grabs me us the dial, the design of its face and joe astheticalky pleasing it is to look at.

There's no need up have diamonds if its going to cost 4 times the price. However is it possible to get a band with a gold stripe down the centre ? Or us it a big no no to change from the standard default band that comes with it ? I assume there's a etiquette regarding changing bands.