The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 11 April 2018, 09:00 AM   #31
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiroo View Post
I believe it's saddest that you* didn't read the post clearly. I know that's a world timer, I said I wonder which Patek (a 3 million dollar Patek) he is rapping about in his song, because the world timer is not $3 million. Even sadder is the fact that you couldn't care to take someone rapping about a Rolex as fun. Good job in life.
I wasn’t talking to you. And I’m doing just fine in life, thanks. I can appreciate good music and spend most of my days with a beautiful watch and one arm and an even prettier woman on the other. Thanks for your concern.
Marciano490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2018, 09:12 AM   #32
Amiroo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Royal Oak Chrono
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marciano490 View Post
I wasn’t talking to you. And I’m doing just fine in life, thanks. I can appreciate good music and spend most of my days with a beautiful watch and one arm and an even prettier woman on the other. Thanks for your concern.
My apologies then, enjoy the ladies, watches, and music.
Rolex GMT-Master II BLNR 116710
Amiroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2018, 09:14 AM   #33
wb55
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris85 View Post
I will never understand how Jay-Z became famous. His words make no sense, and he has absolutely no flow.

His raps are jerky and sound like he doesn't know what the next line is supposed to be, like a kid reading a book aloud.

And I know I shouldn't expect much in terms of content, but come on- I can write better than that.

1. Doesn’t matter as most other people do.

2. You can’t.
wb55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2018, 09:20 AM   #34
justdate
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP/AP/Rolex
Quote:
Now this is starting to sound more like proper rapping.

The Rolex guy from the first page could learn from this.
justdate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2018, 09:27 AM   #35
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
I'm so sorry, when's the operation?
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2018, 09:33 AM   #36
imperio
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
Could never quite appreciate rap; string along some words in a sentence that hardly makes sense, throw in some "uh, uh" grunts and yeah, yeah yeahs... dujac by the mag indeed, whatever that means
Old 11 April 2018, 09:38 AM   #37
DeeTee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Netflix
Watching TRFers talk about rappers
DeeTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2018, 09:50 AM   #38
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperio View Post
Could never quite appreciate rap; string along some words in a sentence that hardly makes sense, throw in some "uh, uh" grunts and yeah, yeah yeahs... dujac by the mag indeed, whatever that means
It’s a wine. Mag is magnum. This is the gift that never ends.
Old 11 April 2018, 10:07 AM   #39
martinr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It’s a wine. Mag is magnum. This is the gift that never ends.
Tell him the whole story. Domaine Dujac because the winemaker is Jacques Seysses, as in Domaine of Jacques, a magnum is the size, two bottles worth, probably grand cru considering he can afford the best. Walk it like you talk it.
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2018, 10:14 AM   #40
imperio
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
You guys are keeping it real!! I mean keepin'

Did I use that phrase correctly?
Old 11 April 2018, 10:18 AM   #41
Chris85
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP ROO YG
My new favorite thread.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Chris85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2018, 10:40 AM   #42
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinr View Post
Tell him the whole story. Domaine Dujac because the winemaker is Jacques Seysses, as in Domaine of Jacques, a magnum is the size, two bottles worth, probably grand cru considering he can afford the best. Walk it like you talk it.
Credit where it’s due - that was well played.
Old 11 April 2018, 12:30 PM   #43
LAFLARE
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeTee View Post
Watching TRFers talk about rappers
It gets even better if you read the rap on the first page
LAFLARE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2018, 12:43 PM   #44
KBM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

This thread is epic.
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2018, 01:41 PM   #45
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Jay Z rocking a beautiful PP.

Quote:

Martin for the win.

Shouldn’t Louis be in here talking about how jay z has the WT because he couldn’t get the 5522
Old 11 April 2018, 01:46 PM   #46
eyeheartny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Walk it like you talk it.
Speaking of walk it/talk it, Migos' new album is straight fire. Amazing from start to finish, not a bad moment on it, and the video for Walk It Talk It is absolute genius.

All you TRFers who are new to rap or skeptical: listen to the new Migos and tell me you aren't on board.
eyeheartny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2018, 01:47 PM   #47
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Martin for the win.

Shouldn’t Louis be in here talking about how jay z has the WT because he couldn’t get the 5522
Nas got it. It’s the subject of Ether 2.
Old 13 February 2019, 10:04 AM   #48
elroypreston
"TRF" Member

Let me touch on a few points:

To the guy who said Jay has no flow and his words make no sense...that’s quite ridiculous. For the past 20+ years, Jay-Z built his career rapping lyrics he literally thought up in his head without writing anything down. He’s got one of the largest catalogues in history and producers and colleagues have said that at any given time, he walks around with multiple albums worth of material in his head at any given time. Both Kanye West and Just Blaze have attested to him literally being able to put together whole songs in his head while doing things of having conversations completely unrelated. One of his most powerful songs, “PSA,” was recorded literally while he was having a listening session with media outlets for the album the song ended up on....which was already done at the time. They played the beat for him and while holding the press junket, he was writing the song in his head and ducking into the next room to record it.

Secondly, even though he writes this way, his music is literally flooded with double, triple and even sometimes quadruple entendres. Not to mention he’s got probably the most unorthodox rhyme schemes (unlike today’s rappers who rap like robots)....insanely difficult things to do when you’re not using a pen. And unlike most artists, he’s infamous in the recording space for getting songs done in one take instead of having to record over and over again.

And with my apologies for the rambling that most of you likely didn’t even care about, I’ll get to the most relevant part: He’s probably the only artist in history in any genre to build a decades-long career speaking only on the true events of his own life. And multiple people, from producers, to other artists to even people that don’t like him have vouched for even the most obscure references in his lyrics coming from events that really happen. Several have been quoted as saying “If it didn’t happen, he just won’t say it. He’s not going to put something in a verse just because it rhymes.” So hopefully that sheds light on the comment that what he says “doesn’t make sense.”

“$91,000 on a wine bill, to keep it real with you that was Juan’s bill” - this is in reference to a waiter/waitress posting a receipt for $91,000 after Jay-Z and friends left a bar. The headline read that Jay-Z spent all this money on champagne and this lyric was him saying it was “Juan’s bill” - the tab was run up during a celebration for his friend Juan Perez. $80,000 bill and tipped $11,000. Note: They were all bottles of his Ace of Spades brand....which I guess is to be expected.

https://twitter.com/misterclasico/st...102070785?s=21

As far as the watch, he’s referring to the limited Patek 6300G Grand Complications, which is why he said “It’s COMPLICATED” as a play on words. I believe it started out around $2,000,000 but has since appreciated to about $3,000,000 depending on where you look. Much of his watch collection is centered around rare/limited pieces and at times he’ll even give some to auction for charity.

Good day everyone. Here’s the watch:

https://goo.gl/images/LYqrJZ
elroypreston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2019, 10:15 AM   #49
CamSLC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by elroypreston View Post

To the guy who said Jay has no flow and his words make no sense...that’s quite ridiculous. For the past 20+ years, Jay-Z built his career rapping lyrics he literally thought up in his head without writing anything down. He’s got one of the largest catalogues in history and producers and colleagues have said that at any given time, he walks around with multiple albums worth of material in his head at any given time. Both Kanye West and Just Blaze have attested to him literally being able to put together whole songs in his head while doing things of having conversations completely unrelated. One of his most powerful songs, “PSA,” was recorded literally while he was having a listening session with media outlets for the album the song ended up on....which was already done at the time. They played the beat for him and while holding the press junket, he was writing the song in his head and ducking into the next room to record it.

Secondly, even though he writes this way, his music is literally flooded with double, triple and even sometimes quadruple entendres. Not to mention he’s got probably the most unorthodox rhyme schemes (unlike today’s rappers who rap like robots)....insanely difficult things to do when you’re not using a pen. And unlike most artists, he’s infamous in the recording space for getting songs done in one take instead of having to record over and over again.

And with my apologies for the rambling that most of you likely didn’t even care about, I’ll get to the most relevant part: He’s probably the only artist in history in any genre to build a decades-long career speaking only on the true events of his own life. And multiple people, from producers, to other artists to even people that don’t like him have vouched for even the most obscure references in his lyrics coming from events that really happen. Several have been quoted as saying “If it didn’t happen, he just won’t say it. He’s not going to put something in a verse just because it rhymes.” So hopefully that sheds light on the comment that what he says “doesn’t make sense.”

“$91,000 on a wine bill, to keep it real with you that was Juan’s bill” - this is in reference to a waiter/waitress posting a receipt for $91,000 after Jay-Z and friends left a bar. The headline read that Jay-Z spent all this money on champagne and this lyric was him saying it was “Juan’s bill” - the tab was run up during a celebration for his friend Juan Perez. $80,000 bill and tipped $11,000. Note: They were all bottles of his Ace of Spades brand....which I guess is to be expected.

As far as the watch, he’s referring to the limited Patek 6300G Grand Complications, which is why he said “It’s COMPLICATED” as a play on words. I believe it started out around $2,000,000 but has since appreciated to about $3,000,000 depending on where you look. Much of his watch collection is centered around rare/limited pieces and at times he’ll even give some to auction for charity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CamSLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2019, 10:21 AM   #50
chris242

Watch: 116610lv
Quote:
Originally Posted by elroypreston View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chris242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2019, 06:45 PM   #51
Sonzy
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP/Breguet/IWC/Rlx
Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post
Lol Chris your rhyme was pretty good.
Rolex: GMT Master II Batman.
Sonzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2019, 07:07 PM   #52
Codik
"TRF" Member

I just wish rappers would bang on about AP and Rolex rather than Patek.
Codik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2019, 08:07 PM   #53
tchaic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tag Heuer 2000
Jay-Z was excellent in this Letterman interview. No chance he wears a fake watch to this taping. Owning this watch and rapping about no diamonds is refreshing when compared to almost all other rappers and watches (except Pras for sure and maybe a few others). Overall I thought everything about this was GREAT!
tchaic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2019, 12:22 AM   #54
elroypreston
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codik View Post
He rapped about rolexes in the 90s. And mentioned AP maybe in 2001 or 2002.

Sorry if you feel rappers devalue your favorite brand, but unlike most who brag about their wealth to people with average incomes, Jay’s money talk has always been directed towards posers and the clown rappers, this song included.

Old quotes:

“Sick of you with your Now or Later raps...rap about it now, hope you get it later. Do a couple shows, hope you are saving up”

“I’m a check writer, you’re royalty receivers, you’re eating off per diem”

“You bought a 4.0, you better get your change”

“Pay your taxes, y’all are hustling backwards”

“Windows no tint, cars no rims, that’s because we handle ours like grown men”

“I ain’t one of you rappers that got a deal, I’m one of the few spitting it who got it for real”

“Where’s all the ice with all the platinum under that? Those ain’t Rolex diamonds, what the f*ck have you done to that?”

I’ll take that kind of rap over these other dudes’ nonsense any day. The problem is most rappers don’t make the kind of money they’d have people believe (big surprise, right?) so they bank on being able to fool people who don’t know just how little money there is to be made in the music business, particularly in rap. These are the types who think diamonds = value and BMW i8s are exotic cars. Actually back in the day when no one knew who Jay-Z and his crew were, part of their marketing strategy was to go to known rappers’ shows or club performances and embarrass the ones claiming they were rich. So now today, the typical rapper will take a Nautilus and stick a bunch of mediocre quality diamonds on them because they don’t have the money to collect on the level of a Jay-Z or a Kevin Hart. Sad to say it’ll always be this way. People who don’t know better will always be impressed by “perceived” wealth.
Old 14 February 2019, 12:27 AM   #55
elroypreston
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeheartny View Post
Speaking of walk it/talk it, Migos' new album is straight fire. Amazing from start to finish, not a bad moment on it, and the video for Walk It Talk It is absolute genius.

All you TRFers who are new to rap or skeptical: listen to the new Migos and tell me you aren't on board.
Migos?

I can tell you I’m very much NOT on board. You consider that genius? Ouch. If you’re gonna defend rap music, I certainly would not lead with Migos. Not if you’re pitching the idea to grown men and women.
Old 14 February 2019, 12:59 AM   #56
np2016
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek, AP,
Hands down the best album Jay-z released is reasonable doubt definitely a classic.
np2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2019, 01:02 AM   #57
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Looks like a smaller Anthony Davis.

The 300 piece LE world time is certainty nice but at that price point - makes sense to pay the extra moolah and get the enamel dial :)
Bearxj86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2019, 01:20 AM   #58
maximilianmuller
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV/TBB
He is quite a collector, I would like to see one of those Hodinkee videos to see his collection. It would be interesting to see if he appreciates the watches & stories or just has the means to get any watch he wants.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3404.JPG (113.3 KB, 218 views)
maximilianmuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2019, 02:27 AM   #59
Ballzzz

Jay-Z is a great rapper, not the GOAT but undisputed the most consistent.

In there prime I put Nas slightly over him and not just due to Ether.

I felt Nas at the time was a bit more developed and further along his craft.

In the mid-late 2000's Jay-Z took the lead when Nas went rouge with extremist civil rights etc. etc. but hes back to better form as of late,thankfully.

Jay-Z has evolved into an iconic figure who now has much more business and industry knowledge than any current rapper with his talent. The only other person with his business credentials would be puffy but he never had any rapping skill to put it into a song. Jay-Z really excels at evolving his craft along with his interests and family etc. As I said the most consistent ever in the rap world in the form of an artist. Dr Dre also is in the conversation now but I think he always excelled at production even though his rapping is light years better than puffy.

Take a listen here for evolved Jay-Z:
https://youtu.be/RM7lw0Ovzq0

IMHO:
1. Big L
2. BIG
3. Nas
4. Jadakiss
5. Jay-Z

O yea Jay-Z has a serious watch collection, which has evolved as well from the early days.
Old 14 February 2019, 06:23 AM   #60
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codik View Post
They've moved on up to Patek, But Beyoncé and JZ name dropped RM recently so that will be the next target.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote