The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 16 March 2018, 01:43 AM   #1
westsiderkg
"TRF" Member

Watch: '66 Submariner
Heirloom 1960s Rolex Sub Vintage Watch Expert Repair References Needed Pls

Fellow TRF Members,

I’m reaching out for veteran advice about an heirloom piece, a 1960s Rolex submariner bought brand new long, long ago.

I should note the sub is atypical for its timeframe, no special features affecting general market value.

The plan is to keep the timepiece in my possession for a lifetime due to its sentimental value, so making a well thought out; prudent decision is of utmost importance.

First, the timepiece is in need of internal mechanical servicing. No getting around this fact.

Aside from the internals getting serviced I would also like to consider getting the externals refurbished, but to what degree? I need feedback please!

I’m no expert regarding vintage pieces (this is my only one) so I greatly appreciate sincere guidance regarding what specific cosmetic items on this model I should get refurbished vs. replaced.

Is it feasible / practical to refurbish the crystal, bezel, case, dial, etc., or is replacement a better option?

Have any other TRF Members gone through this process before? I would be very interested in seeing before / after pics of those who have gone through this with a trusted refurbisher.

My gut feeling (without researching) tells me to refurbish (if at all possible w/o great expense) vs. installing new replacement parts…but again I don’t know what can be refurbished on this model vs. needing to be replaced with new parts from a cosmetic standpoint.

I could honestly care less about the sub looking brand new by the way, just want it to appear well cared for (i.e. refurbished IMO).

As a sidebar…the absolute last thing I want to do is inadvertently reduce any potential market value to the next family member to inherit this watch in my effort to keep it mechanically and cosmetically sound so I can enjoy it until its passed along again downstream.

Are there certain well trusted and experienced vintage repair shops TRF members can highly recommend?

Thanks for guidance and feel free to PM me if you don’t think it’s appropriate to share watch vintage experts names or experiences (good or bad) in an open format.

Many, many thanks!
westsiderkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2018, 01:56 AM   #2
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Keep it simple. Send to an independent and have the crystal polished along with the service. If you replace anything, just make sure you keep original parts if you worry about the value. Leave the case/bracelet well alone in terms of polishing.
sensui is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2018, 02:34 AM   #3
spoilsofwar01
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing Rainclouds
Submariner

taking your time as you are and asking lots of question before proceeding is the road to be taking, only go forward if you can go back. To assess / appraise your inheritance post a few pictures, guidance from those who are in the trade of refurbishment will be able to advise you further... I have a feeling recommendations will be following of shortly, all the very best "H"
spoilsofwar01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2018, 02:46 AM   #4
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
Keep it simple. Send to an independent and have the crystal polished along with the service. If you replace anything, just make sure you keep original parts if you worry about the value. Leave the case/bracelet well alone in terms of polishing.
Great Advice!
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2018, 04:17 AM   #5
westsiderkg
"TRF" Member

Thanks. I will post a picture on a few. Any recommendations on good and trustworthy independents is greatly appreciated by the way. :)
Old 16 March 2018, 04:42 AM   #6
JnmEaton
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18038 Presidential
ABC, LAWW and Ric are gonna be popular suggestions for refurb. Good luck I'm interested to see what you have.....
JnmEaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2018, 04:44 AM   #7
Thegr8one
"TRF" Member

Watch: 79090 & 79180
Rikki, LA Watchworks, Bob Ridley......
Thegr8one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2018, 04:58 AM   #8
datejust24
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexssss
Looking forward to the pics
datejust24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2018, 04:08 AM   #9
westsiderkg
"TRF" Member

After talking with dad he recalls purchasing the sub new in 1966 while serving in Vietnam at the base PX.

Apparently this is a 4 line version, 5512. Does that have any impact on value or rarity (after refurbishment)?

I’ll never sell it, just curious to tell dad since he paid an obscenely low military only price compared to what a 2018 sub runs today and I can't locate too many solid price points on the web. I’m certain he will like to hear its appreciation since his last Rolex purchase was in the early 90s and allots changed since then.

Anyway, back to the watch service. It’s hard to see from the picture, but it was serviced about a decade ago and runs fairly well, but there are several deep crystal scratches and the original band is really stretched too! Are stretched bands recoverable? I’ve seen jubilee bands put back together, but are oyster bands recoverable as well? Right now it has a more modern bracelet on it which dad replaced at some point downstream because the original simply stretched too far for daily comfort and safety.

Also, the luminescence is non-existent. Is there a way to rejuvenate lume w/o destroying the patina? I’m going to leave it alone if there’s a risk as I prefer the aged appearance of the hour markers, just wish I saw a smidge of lume at nighttime.

Anyhow, I decided to go with Rikki based on TRF members feedback and and after speaking with him over the phone. Wish me luck and will post back when it eventually returns in several weeks (hopefully sooner).

Greatly appreciate everyone’s vintage help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail_20180324_172524.jpg (82.7 KB, 727 views)
Old 27 March 2018, 05:21 AM   #10
photoguy
"TRF" Member

I don't know the first things about vintage watches, but was surprised to read 'in 1996 while serving in Vietnam at the base PX'. I didn't know there was a US presence there at that time.

Best of luck with the watch, looks like a great one and there's nothing better imo, than keeping it in the family.
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2018, 05:21 AM   #11
spoilsofwar01
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing Rainclouds

you have some conflicting dates, 1960s Rolex submariner bought brand new…….he recalls purchasing the sub new in 1996 while serving in Vietnam please check and confirm
spoilsofwar01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2018, 05:25 AM   #12
westsiderkg
"TRF" Member

Gotta love autofill on the phone! 1966. Edited and thanks for pointing out, lol.
Old 27 March 2018, 05:41 AM   #13
statsman
"TRF" Member

You are so lucky! My dad said the best watch he ever owned was a Seiko he bought on the troop ship to Vietnam. Unfortunately, it is long gone (if it wasn’t, I’d get it restored).
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2018, 05:47 AM   #14
westsiderkg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by statsman View Post
You are so lucky! My dad said the best watch he ever owned was a Seiko he bought on the troop ship to Vietnam. Unfortunately, it is long gone (if it wasn’t, I’d get it restored).

Thanks. I feel for you. Glad I have this as everything else from those childhood days is gone. Time goes by so fast in retrospect!
Old 27 March 2018, 07:29 AM   #15
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
That dial, while it is a 5512 dial, it is NOT from 1966. It’s not gilt, it’s not meters first. Are you certain he never spoke of having the dial replaced?
Kingface66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2018, 07:56 AM   #16
westsiderkg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingface66 View Post
That dial, while it is a 5512 dial, it is NOT from 1966. It’s not gilt, it’s not meters first. Are you certain he never spoke of having the dial replaced?

You tell me...looks the same as this example and many others online for sale?

http://www.metersfirst.com/sold/1967...t-matte-4-line
Old 27 March 2018, 07:59 AM   #17
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingface66 View Post
x2. Dial is early to mid-'70s. What is the beginning of the serial number? The dial looks like the one in my 5512 (3.7 mil.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5512-TRF-2018.jpg (284.7 KB, 661 views)
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2018, 08:14 AM   #18
westsiderkg
"TRF" Member

I'll ask Rikki when he gets it apart since its already on its way to him. Cleary you guys know more about vintage than me as they both look too similar for my novice eyes to differentiate. I know he did two tours so maybe memory fails him as he is up near 80 now and perhaps he got it on the later on the two tours? Appreciate the online forensics in the meantime. :)
Old 27 March 2018, 08:26 AM   #19
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsiderkg View Post
You tell me...looks the same as this example and many others online for sale?

http://www.metersfirst.com/sold/1967...t-matte-4-line
Well, I’ll do my best to tell you. Look at it again. The watch in the link you posted the 200m comes before the 600ft. Yours has the opposite. Secondly, that watch on in the link is almost certainly 1967, not 1966. And lastly, I am wearing my 1967 5512, so I know at least a LITTLE about them!
Cheers.
Old 27 March 2018, 08:33 AM   #20
westsiderkg
"TRF" Member

Appreciate the help tks!

Maybe a 68? This looks similar?

http://rolexpassionmarket.com/watche...iner-ref-5512/
Old 27 March 2018, 09:51 AM   #21
PaulMiami
"TRF" Member

Rik

I have a 1965 5513 ser number 1.19m that had similar issues. My great uncle bought it new in Miami and gave it to me in the early 1970s. Rik just refurbished my 5513. You’re in great hands with him.

I had the bracelet replaced in 1976, changing it from the original stretch rivet style to the folded steel 9150. The new bracelet was my high school graduation gift. We tossed the rivet bracelet away ... what a shame. Still has the 9150.

We can’t figure out exactly what happened to the original gilt dial but if you look at the first picture you’ll see it with a meters first matte dial that had been retouched and was damaged, flaking, beyond repair. It had this dial from the early 1970d until Rik got it.

Rik had my dial redone in London, and he serviced and polished the watch. It came back looking like NOS. My matte dial was a mess, yours looks good but it’s surely not 1966. It was not cheap to repaint my dial, but it’s almost impossible to find a gilt dial these days in reasonable condition and the guy Rik uses in London does amazing work.

You have a tougher decision as your dial looks great but it doesn’t match the watch vintage if it’s a 1966 5513.

One thing I might add is the gilt dials are amazing. The pictures don’t do them justice. They are black, but when the light hits them the right way, they look more like dark chocolate. They also are not matte, instead they have a gloss to them. But it seems they were very fragile as not many survived in good shape.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 00E82611-F8DC-4323-B18A-BCE786757D03.jpeg (132.8 KB, 638 views)
File Type: jpeg D828356F-13E8-4681-ABD6-5FEB42DAD3FE.jpeg (88.7 KB, 629 views)
File Type: jpeg C4C58F56-CC1B-4A32-B5C5-CA1D3DC9C984.jpeg (72.9 KB, 636 views)
PaulMiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2018, 09:52 AM   #22
onthedial
"TRF" Member

Watch: IG @onthedial
@westsiderkg
Once Rik receives the watch and tells you what the serial number is, you'll have something to go on. Just sit tight.
Old 28 March 2018, 09:36 PM   #23
westsiderkg
"TRF" Member

Thought I’d follow-up for the group. I was able to talk to my dad last evening and it’s an interesting story. He did in fact purchase it in 1966 in Vietnam on base. The short of it is during his second tour in the early 70’s he was scuba diving and the watch sprung a tiny leak and he chipped the crystal too, which prompted him to get it overhauled. As he put it at that time he really didn’t think about getting the parts replaced specific to the 1966 model, he just wanted it repaired and to look like new, thus he installed a newer dial with the service. Makes perfect sense now and thought I’d share this backstory as allot can happen in 50+ years and it’s good to know the history. Thanks again for everyone’s help as I would have never thought to even ask him if the group didn’t point out the dial variance.
Old 28 March 2018, 11:23 PM   #24
subx
"TRF" Member

color me doubtful, but that insert is not from the 70's either, so doesn't jive with the revised story either...
subx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2018, 11:25 PM   #25
westsiderkg
"TRF" Member

7I guess Rikki will have to tell me.

The only other service he recalled having was in the 90s.

Respectfully if your a vintage wis then what specific dial year and model is it???

His story is his, not mine, and I didn't come over to the vintage forum to validate his recollection per say, just vintage assistance please on the material fact.

On a personal level I would however like to think he has some distant memory since buying new long ago and the timepiece being around for all my years as well through childhood, but I will refrain from sharing any further good natured personal stories since its evident this is unfortunately not the place for kind hearted discussion amongst friends.

I fortunately also have the original box and will be glad to post a picture of that as well if anyone thinks that may help. I also asked him to look through his files for any additional paperwork, which he is doing.

Vintage purists can respectfully relax as I really don't care if certain parts were changed as needed over the years since it's sentimental to me and trying to pull together a 50 year memory is a bit challenging.

Regards and to those who actually want to provide me with vintage guidance in lieu of unwelcomed personal opinions I graciously thank you!

And again...if there is material fact you can and are qualified to assist me with please feel free to do so, but should you feel otherwise I would respectfully ask that negative personal comments be kept to yourself.
Old 29 March 2018, 01:26 AM   #26
kzm40
"TRF" Member

Great looking watch and great story, dials and hands were routinely changed at service times, in the past. I'm sure you'll get more information once the watchmaker takes the back off, as service marks and dates are usually left.

Enjoy the watch and post a picture once its returned.
kzm40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2018, 05:20 AM   #27
subx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
7I guess Rikki will have to tell me.

The only other service he recalled having was in the 90s.

Regards and to those who actually want to provide me with vintage guidance in lieu of unwelcomed personal opinions I graciously thank you!

And again...if there is material fact you can and are qualified to assist me with please feel free to do so, but should you feel otherwise I would respectfully ask that negative personal comments be kept to yourself.
I would hope you are not actually directing that comment towards the fact that I pointed out that the insert is not original , isn't that a fact? as a long time collector I'm assisting you with further expertise, like many of us here did. I'll recap the expertise we are providing you here by saying:

what you have left at best without looking any further is a case , bezel, and a movement. the dial, hands, bracelet, insert are all non original to the watch.

services do tend to yield many parts to be replaced. that dial is from the 70s

you can have it serviced at many non rolex service centers, but non rolex service repair facilities are usually preferred on this board (LAWW and more).

you changed the story servicing timeline 2x now, that is not a personal opinion, but a general observation.

cheers.
subx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2018, 07:12 AM   #28
westsiderkg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rom View Post

you changed the story servicing timeline 2x now, that is not a personal opinion, but a general observation.

cheers.

1. I appreciate the info. :)
2. Whats unwelcomed is how a few expect a nearly 80 year old man to recall specific events of a watch covering a 50 year timeline like he is a computer. Sheesh talk about overly critical!

Thank you and I believe that covers what I asked. No futher online assistance needed.

Will post a refresh picture after Rikki is done for others to see and I hope that helps someone else as that's my primary goal on the forum to learn, help others and educate myself.
Old 29 March 2018, 08:20 AM   #29
photoguy
"TRF" Member

I think it was more of an updating the servicing timeline as new information became available.
fwiw, my son jokes about my leaving him my watch. I hope he shows as much interest in owning it as you have. Good job.
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2018, 11:54 AM   #30
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
1. I appreciate the info. :)
2. Whats unwelcomed is how a few expect a nearly 80 year old man to recall specific events of a watch covering a 50 year timeline like he is a computer. Sheesh talk about overly critical!

Thank you and I believe that covers what I asked. No futher online assistance needed.

Will post a refresh picture after Rikki is done for others to see and I hope that helps someone else as that's my primary goal on the forum to learn, help others and educate myself.
I reread this whole thread, and including my comment (and I apologize if it came across too matter-of-fact for you) and I don’t think anyone was being critical. Pointing out anachronistic parts of a watch is just what’s done here. I can’t speak for others, but I certainly wasn’t being critical. As one of the members stated, it was just pointing out what seemed chronologically (no pun intended) “incorrect” about the watch. I would NEVER go after someone’s father.