The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 11 February 2019, 07:53 PM   #1
BisonHead
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub,SD,DJ,OP
Hello From a New Member

Hi There,
Thought i would introduce myself, saying as i have commented on a few posts that i found interesting. Loving the vintage watches in their boxes post with all the toys etc with them.

I am from the UK

Always loved Rolexes from being a little lad and trying on my Dads OP and padding the strap out with tissue to make "it fit. Then checking it out in the hallway mirror... Think Blue Steel haha.

This was my Dads everyday watch, that he bought on leave from the Army whilst deployed to Malaya for the Emergency in the 50's. He bought it at Northern Goldsmiths in Newcastle. They apparently had 2 in a fish tank in the window and he bought one and the other one remained there in the window for years.

Just always liked the design and feel of them. I will post photos of my "watches in the boxes" when i get a chance. Only a small collection, but each one means something to me.

SS Sub No Date:
Fast forward a few years and picked up my first Rolex no date Sub in 1995 from Northern Goldsmiths but at their Metro Centre branch.

Loved the design and esp as wasn't a big fan of the cyclops lens, mind my eyesight was somewhat better then!

Wore this watch all over the world and was my daily in Iraq.

TT DJ on a jubilee bracelet.
I managed to buy a TT DJ whilst i was in Iraq (2004) from the jewelers based out of the Al Rashid Hotel. Was persuaded to sell it to a pal i was working with, regretted it almost immediately.

However managed to buy it back from him some years later (2013) and i am so pleased i did.

As i really like the design and its a bit more dressy if needed being TT.
Love the little bit bling not being a jewelry type of guy. Also the cyclops comes in handy now ha. Bracelet super comfy.

Trying to get him to sell me the Heuer Divers watch i sold him at the same time. Only watches i have ever sold

SS SD:
Treated myself to the SS SD in 2006 again from the Northern Goldsmiths in the Metro Centre.

What a fab watch, love the fact it has a date and no cyclops. I wore this watch both in Iraq and Afghanistan as my daily, has some tale to tell marks on it, but i don't care its for wearing.
However its also the Birth year for my son, so been seriously thinking about having it serviced (not Polished) and putting it away for him for his 21st.

Bremont MBII:
I received the Bremont MBII as a 10 year recognition for service in Iraq and Afghanistan. 3 of us were presented with them, which was really nice. They choose Bremont as its a British manufactured watch. Which was a nice touch and well thought out.
They were meant to be engraved with our dates and numbers on them,but they didn't get done in time for the presentation. Did think about getting it done post presentation but never got around to it.

Wore this as a daily in Afghanistan, although the leather strap isn't really suited to the climate here. Nato or G10 all the way.

Omega Sea master Vintage rose gold:
Vintage Rose gold, maybe capped think they call it? Anyway a nice dress watch on a brown leather strap with rose gold buckle clasp. Doesn't get much wear but plan to rectify that. Might play around with a G10 strap when i get a chance.

Alternate Dailys:

Marathon, Luminox and Seiko Pilot G10 chronograph:
These have been used as daily and or back ups depending on the circumstances always had one or the other with me as a spare to my Sub and SD

Seiko Pilot (P marked) I got this 91, can't remember if was pre or post Desert Storm. A great watch and still wear it now occasionally.

Luminox: Got this in Iraq (2005?) and has been a good go to smash it up kind of watch, still going strong although looking quite "worn" shall we say.

Marathon (US Govt Issue) NATO strap/Waterbourne What a great watch, nice design, very comfortable to wear.

Wow that was abit of a write up, hope you enjoy. Will add photos as and when i can of each watch mentioned.

Edit: I have been looking at the Tudor Black bay as an everyday wear moving forward. Can decide on the bezel colour though.
BisonHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2019, 08:37 PM   #2
greeneyedguy
Banned

Sounds like you’ve got a nice collection there! Got any picrures?
greeneyedguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2019, 08:42 PM   #3
Cravings7
"TRF" Member

Pictures please
Cravings7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2019, 08:54 PM   #4
1st amg
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Welcome to TRF and post lots of pics!
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2019, 06:17 AM   #5
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Welcome and nice intro
Old 12 February 2019, 07:22 AM   #6
JayHantz
"TRF" Member

Watch: @Escapementt
Welcome to the forums! I agree, post some pictures when you can!! Great collection you have.
JayHantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2019, 08:05 AM   #7
Comex5514_
Banned

Watch: Military
Welcome to a new community! Looking forward to hear from you again
Comex5514_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2019, 09:45 AM   #8
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Welcome to TRF!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2019, 05:18 PM   #9
BisonHead
"TRF" Member

I was trying to attach these images into my start post, but can't seem to edit it. Will dig out some more pictures.

Marathon, great watch.

IMG_1747.jpeg

Bremont MBII

IMG_2674.jpeg
Old 12 February 2019, 05:22 PM   #10
BisonHead
"TRF" Member

My bashed in Luminox. This is on a Waterborne strap that i bought in the early to mid 90's. Still going strong.

IMG_5841.jpg
Old 12 February 2019, 05:31 PM   #11
Rogdogg
"TRF" Member

Welcome to TRF
Old 12 February 2019, 06:38 PM   #12
Allanmodel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Still Looking....!
Welcome
Allanmodel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 03:33 PM   #13
Audemars Piguet
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Welcome
Audemars Piguet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 01:11 AM   #14
uniqueMR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: P A T E K
Welcome and nice collection :)
Old 24 February 2019, 02:50 AM   #15
BisonHead
"TRF" Member

Quick question, am i able to go back to a post to edit it, i.e. add pictures into the correct slot of my intro?

Cheers and thanks for the kind words.
Old 24 February 2019, 04:49 AM   #16
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing a bit of your history.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2019, 01:48 AM   #17
Urosfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me now
Welcome
Urosfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2019, 03:53 AM   #18
jatco
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116233/79190

' A Crown for every achievement '
jatco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2019, 04:47 AM   #19
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Welcome aboard
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2019, 12:14 PM   #20
Actsulb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT II (Coke)
Welcome to TRF!

A Crown for Every Achievement
Actsulb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2019, 02:20 PM   #21
jatco
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116233/79190
Quote:
Originally Posted by BisonHead View Post
Quick question, am i able to go back to a post to edit it, i.e. add pictures into the correct slot of my intro?

Cheers and thanks for the kind words.
Within a given time..I believe. Like shortly after your original post..But hrs or a day later might not happen.
Dont know for sure.

' A Crown for every achievement '
jatco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2019, 07:05 AM   #22
louach
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 Coke
Nice collection! :)
louach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2019, 05:55 PM   #23
BisonHead
"TRF" Member

Thank you. I will get more pictures posted shortly
Old 3 March 2019, 01:46 AM   #24
BisonHead
"TRF" Member

Updated pics

Hi there,
thought i would introduce myself, saying as i have commented on a few posts that i found interesting. Loving the vintage watches in their boxes post with all the toys etc with them.

I am from the uk

always loved rolexes from being a little lad and trying on my dads op and padding the strap out with tissue to make "it fit. Then checking it out in the hallway mirror... Think blue steel haha.

This was my dads everyday watch, that he bought on leave from the army whilst deployed to malaya for the emergency in the 50's. He bought it at northern goldsmiths in newcastle. They apparently had 2 in a fish tank in the window and he bought one and the other one remained there in the window for years.

Just always liked the design and feel of them. I will post photos of my "watches in the boxes" when i get a chance. Only a small collection, but each one means something to me.

ss sub no date:
fast forward a few years and picked up my first rolex no date sub in 1995 from northern goldsmiths but at their metro centre branch.

Loved the design and esp as wasn't a big fan of the cyclops lens, mind my eyesight was somewhat better then!

Wore this watch all over the world and was my daily in iraq.

tt dj on a jubilee bracelet.
698ec7b2-dc9a-4337-a336-5fdb1b99af89.JPGScreen Shot 2019-03-02 at 20.00.41.png

Not the best picture, asked daughter to take photo...

i managed to buy a tt dj whilst i was in iraq (2004) from the jewelers based out of the al rashid hotel. Was persuaded to sell it to a pal i was working with, regretted it almost immediately.

However managed to buy it back from him some years later (2013) and i am so pleased i did.

As i really like the design and its a bit more dressy if needed being tt.
Love the little bit bling not being a jewelry type of guy. Also the cyclops comes in handy now ha. Bracelet super comfy.

Trying to get him to sell me the heuer divers watch i sold him at the same time. Only watches i have ever sold

ss sd:
treated myself to the ss sd in 2006 again from the northern goldsmiths in the metro centre.

What a fab watch, love the fact it has a date and no cyclops. I wore this watch both in iraq and afghanistan as my daily, has some tale to tell marks on it, but i don't care its for wearing.
However its also the birth year for my son, so been seriously thinking about having it serviced (not polished) and putting it away for him for his 21st.

bremont mbii:

Bremont.jpg

i received the bremont mbii as a 10 year recognition for service in iraq and afghanistan. 3 of us were presented with them, which was really nice. They choose bremont as its a british manufactured watch. Which was a nice touch and well thought out.
They were meant to be engraved with our dates and numbers on them,but they didn't get done in time for the presentation. Did think about getting it done post presentation but never got around to it.

Wore this as a daily in afghanistan, although the leather strap isn't really suited to the climate here. Nato or g10 all the way.

omega sea master vintage rose gold:
vintage rose gold, maybe capped think they call it? Anyway a nice dress watch on a brown leather strap with rose gold buckle clasp. Doesn't get much wear but plan to rectify that. Might play around with a g10 strap when i get a chance.

Alternate dailys:

marathon, luminox and seiko pilot g10 chronograph:
these have been used as daily and or back ups depending on the circumstances always had one or the other with me as a spare to my sub and sd

seiko pilot (p marked) i got this 91, can't remember if was pre or post desert storm. A great watch and still wear it now occasionally.

luminox:

IMG_5841.jpg

got this in iraq (2005?) and has been a good go to smash it up kind of watch, still going strong although looking quite "worn" shall we say. ON a Nato strap i bought mid 90's, wearing it still today.

marathon (us govt issue) nato strap/waterbourne what a great watch, nice design, very comfortable to wear.

Marathon.jpg

Wow that was abit of a write up, hope you enjoy. Will add photos as and when i can of each watch mentioned.

Edit: Adding some photos
Old 13 March 2019, 12:27 AM   #25
SearChart
TechXpert

Welcome!
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2019, 09:08 PM   #26
BisonHead
"TRF" Member

Added a new Marathon Navigator

Got a new sterile Marathon Navigator yesterday. Noticed there i have scratched it already ha.

B36120E1-AA52-42A5-BD61-198A4CDF80EE.JPG