The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 October 2012, 09:31 PM   #1
kerytch
"TRF" Member

Yachtmaster Dial Problem

i bought a Brandnew random serial X####### (letter X then followed by seven numbers) YM plat from a trusted grey dealer 6 months ago. just a couple of weeks back, i was looking closely at the dial of my watch and found out something. there seems to be a water mark on my dial from 1 o'clock to the 5 o'clock forming an arc. i went to my AD and asked the manager to look at it. the manager's words were scary, she said that the watch i bought was a second hand overhauled watch due to water sipping in. she said it's no longer a problem since it has probably been overhauled already and to just ignore the waterlike marks since it's not that obvious anyway. but i can hardly believe it. i paid for a bnew price.
is this common with the plat dial having this ? i was thinking maybe it's just normal with the plat dial to have this. i dont know how to call it.

kerytch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2012, 10:03 PM   #2
Manofsteelpt
"TRF" Member

It's never happened on one of my YMs. Did you contact the seller and see their thoughts? Looks like its not sealed somewhere. Is your crown screwed in nice and tight?
Manofsteelpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2012, 10:04 PM   #3
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
I would send it to Rolex for a check-up / dial replacement (though it won't be cheap). If it was worked up by a third party I am not sure about the warranty. Is there a possibility that this happened during your ownership period (seals not ok?).

I'd contact the seller as well, but 6 months is a long time. This would not be consistent with a brand new watch though, unless there was a failure (but then it would not have been overhauled). Did you buy with all stickers, etc.? If it was BNIB you have a warranty and no worries. If it was overhauled, it wasn't BNIB and you need to discuss with the seller if that is indeed what you bought.

Again, RSC seems like the way to go. You need to make sure that the insides are ok. The advice to ignore sounds bad to me.

The triplock crown is fully WR even if completely open, so likely a seal.
Old 10 October 2012, 10:08 PM   #4
Brushpup
"TRF" Member

Watch: what I'm wearing
Does not appear normal to me at all. It is faint, but I don't like it one bit. Do I understand you correctly when you say you bought this as brand new in box (BNIB)? If so, this is unacceptable. Unfortunately, it might be too late.

If this was water ingress, who is to say when it happened in all that time. I'm not defending or accusing anyone, but you see what I mean?

PClub # 10
The safest place for your watch is on your wrist.
Brushpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2012, 10:32 PM   #5
caryyee
"TRF" Member

I'd contact the seller. If the seller says it was BNIB and he got it direct from an AD, then Rolex would repair it under warranty. If Rolex determine that it's been 'repaired' / re-conditioned, then you can trying going back to the seller saying that the watch was mis-represented.
caryyee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2012, 12:12 AM   #6
buke45
Banned

Watch: Your Butt
Quote:
Originally Posted by caryyee View Post
i'd contact the seller. If the seller says it was bnib and he got it direct from an ad, then rolex would repair it under warranty. If rolex determine that it's been 'repaired' / re-conditioned, then you can trying going back to the seller saying that the watch was mis-represented.
x2
buke45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2012, 12:30 AM   #7
kerytch
"TRF" Member

All the stickers were still in place when i received it. I sent it to the seller last week and she said she bought it from hk, and there is no warranty. My ad also said they wouldnt recognize the warranty as well since it's not from them.. Im definitely sure, if ever it's really water inside there, it wasnt caused by me bcoz i never washed, cleaned or immersed it in water. It has been a safe queen and never left the crown open..
Old 11 October 2012, 12:43 AM   #8
kerytch
"TRF" Member

Can you guys see the picture clearly, do you think that's caused by water ingress?
Old 11 October 2012, 01:11 AM   #9
Brushpup
"TRF" Member

Watch: what I'm wearing
From pictures, I don't think we can say for sure. Sorry. So if you sent it back, what is she saying about the dial? I hope you are able to resolve this, but I feel like it was misrepresented. Have you discussed a refund or replacement?

PClub # 10
The safest place for your watch is on your wrist.
Brushpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2012, 01:12 AM   #10
build4boost
"TRF" Member

Watch: My next Rolex!
Ive never had any water seapage issues with my YM. I wore it for 2 weeks straight when I was in Jamaica, so it saw salt water and the pool water for atleast 4 hours everyday. I would be pissed... Good luck.
Old 11 October 2012, 01:28 AM   #11
Engi
"TRF" Member

If the watch is still under warranty, the AD HAS to take care of it, irrespective of the country where it has been bought. I would try to go to Rolex Service Center directly.

Ciao

Engi
Engi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2012, 01:34 AM   #12
gwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD; 116610LN
I can see something but IMO the AD can't tell you for certain it was water that did that. I've seen dials do strange things for unknown reasons. Also as said 6 months is a long time to try and get the seller to do something about it. If its just the dial that's a simple fix. I also think if water did this you would also have issues with the movement. I'm just speculating here but you should get it checked out sooner than later. You might have better luck with a RSC. I highly doubt any AD would mess with it since purchased in another country. I've seen ADs stay away from watches purchased out of country. I'm not even sure how much luck you will have with RSC either but no harm in trying. If you got it new with all the stickers I'd say there is almost no chance there was work done to the movement. What you were told could be true but IMO before someone gave you such a bad diagnosis it should be thoroughly checked out.
gwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2012, 02:34 AM   #13
JJL
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680 Red & 16622
So sorry to hear, I hope you get it figured out! :(
JJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2012, 02:50 AM   #14
Chris B
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caryyee View Post
I'd contact the seller. If the seller says it was BNIB and he got it direct from an AD, then Rolex would repair it under warranty. If Rolex determine that it's been 'repaired' / re-conditioned, then you can trying going back to the seller saying that the watch was mis-represented.

Hope you get it sorted ok, please keep us informed of any
developments

Chris B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2012, 02:58 AM   #15
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

From my prior experience with water inside a watch I'd suggest a warm oven - maybe 150* for 30 minutes - and see if the crystal fogs on inside. Leave the crown unscrewed. No fog, no water.

My SWAG from seeing it is a tiny bit of lubricant could be doing this.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2012, 03:22 AM   #16
Yoda

Watch: PP AP RM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
From my prior experience with water inside a watch I'd suggest a warm oven - maybe 150* for 30 minutes - and see if the crystal fogs on inside. Leave the crown unscrewed. No fog, no water.

My SWAG from seeing it is a tiny bit of lubricant could be doing this.
No do not cook your watch! Send it to RSC and find out exactly what the problem is. Best of luck.
Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2012, 03:25 AM   #17
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
No do not cook your watch! Send it to RSC and find out exactly what the problem is. Best of luck.
It is not cooking friend - it is no different than leaving it in your car for hours on a hot summer's day - temps rise to 140°F in 40 minutes and almost 170°F in an hour.

But I do agree it needs to go to RSC anyway.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2012, 02:56 PM   #18
Boopie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
My YM is 11 1/2 years old and it has been in swimming pools (chlorine), jacuzzis, the ocean (salt water), the shower (soap, shampoo), handwashing dishes, etc. and there has never, ever been any type of discoloration like that.

If it was represented to be brand new when you bought it, I would pitch a fit and return it.
Boopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2012, 05:52 PM   #19
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

It should be waterproof, does the glass fog when you submerge the watch ? leave it submerged for a while and then just wear it, if it leaks it will steam the glass. I think it may be lubricant not a watermark. Rsc directly is the way to go, maybe they will replace the dial
Old 11 October 2012, 06:21 PM   #20
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
I don't like the sounds of it.
Keep us informed on what the seller says...
Good luck. I hope it works out well.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2012, 06:32 PM   #21
Puffy
"TRF" Member

the dial is the most important thing on a watch and the most important thing here is farked

you need your money back mate
Old 11 October 2012, 08:57 PM   #22
kerytch
"TRF" Member

the seller wont take responsibility and he's firm about it. he insists it's bnew and nothing is wrong with it.

and yeah probably you're right 77T, it could be the lubricant, thanks. i really dont think it's water in there because the glass never fogs.
Old 11 October 2012, 09:07 PM   #23
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerytch View Post
the seller wont take responsibility and he's firm about it. he insists it's bnew and nothing is wrong with it.

and yeah probably you're right 77T, it could be the lubricant, thanks. i really dont think it's water in there because the glass never fogs.
IMHO its very doubtful its water damage possible slight oxidation of the coating on the Platinum dial.Or like others have said a bit of lubrication from the date wheel.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote