The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 13 March 2016, 11:41 PM   #1
anirudh.412
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
Contemplating a daytona

Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

I have been thinking about getting a vintage Daytona for some time. It is my grail and I am stoked about finally being close to getting one. What draws me towards the 6239 is(are) the pump pushers as I am not a big fan of the screw down ones. However, the model consistently sells for less than what, say a 6263 demands. Is it purely due to demand and supply or is there something about a 6239 I should be wary about?

Also, how does this particular example look? I know the seller is very well known, but the watch has been on offer for quite some time.

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=462822

TIA
Anirudh
anirudh.412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2016, 12:00 AM   #2
watchcrank
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer II cream
Screw downs have been climbing for last couple years I believe. They wear larger on the wrist than the pusher type. I like the pusher style better myself, have one. I'd want the best example I could afford as condition is everything for vintage watches. The example is a nice but not top condition. m
watchcrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2016, 01:34 AM   #3
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
I agree with the above. At this price point, I would want a watch with a pristine dial. The one on the link is a great-looking Daytona, but it has some condition issues, as detailed in the listing. (All due respect to the seller, whom I have done business with. He's one of the best out there.) The price reflects the condition, of course, but I'd rather pay more for a better example.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2016, 04:00 AM   #4
anirudh.412
"TRF" Member

How hard is it to come by a 6239 with all the lume still intact? I was under the impression that it's a common issue? Also, the mark that he mentions, is it that detrimental?

I have seen some photos of the 6239 where the dial looks almost white, and some that look unabashedly silver. Are there variations or is it just the lighting?

Trying to learn as much as I can. Thank you all for your help.

Anirudh
Old 14 March 2016, 09:17 AM   #5
JohnnyNoDate
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anirudh.412 View Post
How hard is it to come by a 6239 with all the lume still intact? I was under the impression that it's a common issue? Also, the mark that he mentions, is it that detrimental?

I have seen some photos of the 6239 where the dial looks almost white, and some that look unabashedly silver. Are there variations or is it just the lighting?

Trying to learn as much as I can. Thank you all for your help.

Anirudh
The flakey lume is "common" but at this price point, you can find much better with some work.

That watch is in overall very nice as-is honest condition. However, you're a paying a premium for the dealer name, security, and warranty.
JohnnyNoDate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2016, 08:46 PM   #6
anirudh.412
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyNoDate View Post
That watch is in overall very nice as-is honest condition. However, you're a paying a premium for the dealer name, security, and warranty.
I was under the impression that the price is at the lower end of the spectrum?

To all the owners of a Daytona, are there any dealers you would recommend?
Old 15 March 2016, 09:46 PM   #7
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by anirudh.412 View Post
I was under the impression that the price is at the lower end of the spectrum?

To all the owners of a Daytona, are there any dealers you would recommend?
Here's the sticky on dealers: http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=180461. I recommend reading all 19 pages. The thread began almost five years ago.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2016, 10:12 PM   #8
rdragon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyNoDate View Post
The flakey lume is "common" but at this price point, you can find much better with some work.

I've noticed others saying there is a premium buying through HQ due to name. How much of a premium is it usually? Thanks.
rdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2016, 04:19 AM   #9
anirudh.412
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
Here's the sticky on dealers: http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=180461. I recommend reading all 19 pages. The thread began almost five years ago.
Appreciate the link, but I have gone through it before. Used it to buy a few watches actually. That's why the ad I listed above seemed to be priced a little lower to me. Hence I was surprised when someone mentioned the price to be a premium.

I know a mark would make all the difference on dials like a red sub/ DRSD or a gilt dial, but does it hurt a Daytona all that much?
Old 18 March 2016, 03:31 AM   #10
anirudh.412
"TRF" Member

And the price just dropped to sub 26k! Any opinions?