The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 17 November 2016, 02:13 AM   #31
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapokee View Post
No, it wasn't. Not really a shame, though. I could have gotten a color-matched replacement plot, but I rather enjoy such characteristic flaws. You won't find another watch like this anywhere in the world. That's the joy of vintage.
Indeed it is!
Old 17 November 2016, 02:26 AM   #32
G-Web
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Moon
Different strokes for different folks.
But personally, if I can't wear it, it does nothing for me.

-GW
G-Web is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2016, 06:58 AM   #33
dpa94114
"TRF" Member

I thought you said you were wearing your 6263 DIVING...

that would not have been a good idea.

I'm on the side of wearing them everywhere (with the exception of those few that don't have the best seals - warned by my watch guy).

Life is short. Often in the middle of an un-inspiring day, catching the right light on the dial makes all the difference in the world...
dpa94114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2016, 09:09 PM   #34
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

Ensure you don't let this happen...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1876.jpg (129.0 KB, 125 views)
Old 18 November 2016, 10:14 PM   #35
toneafficianado
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Great thread!
When i think of this subject I remember Dr Tom's pic of his Platona and Smurf..all scratched from lots of wear on the bracelets.
That's the way to do it!
I do the same with my Rolexes..wear them for everything. They are all no older than 08 though. But they are built tough.
It feels good to use them.
toneafficianado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2016, 11:07 PM   #36
2JHead
"TRF" Member

I definitely feel you. The way I do it is i tier the watches and the more delicate ones I wear under controlled circumstances, let's say to work on a slow Friday, family getogethers and so on. For a night out with the guys I bring my beat up 14060. If I was anywhere near having a 6263 I would probably wear it very very limited but I would pick some occasions :)
2JHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2016, 11:47 PM   #37
Palermo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourner View Post
I have always been of the mindset of what is the point of having a cool vintage Rolex if you're not going to wear it? So, I've always done so whether it be my 1675, 1665, etc.

But recently, as I had my 6263 on my wrist and driving, I was thinking "What if the vibration of the steering wheel knocks off one of the markers or shakes off some of the tritium?". How will this affect the value? Or, what if I bang it into a door jam and ding the case? A dealer once told me that 'Nothing good can come of wearing your 6263!".

These thoughts just made me want to sell some vintage as I began to question whether or not I can truly enjoy my watches now...

So, show your daily wearers and give your reasoning please! I don't want to stop believing! Here's mine (for the time being):

First up - that is one lovely watch!!

Secondly - Wear it sparingly in my view! Nothing more gutting than having something fall apart on you because of age or even worse someone elses carelessness that you have no control over.

Wear it sparingly, appreciate it massively!!
Palermo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2016, 11:51 PM   #38
Palermo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toneafficianado View Post
Great thread!
When i think of this subject I remember Dr Tom's pic of his Platona and Smurf..all scratched from lots of wear on the bracelets.
That's the way to do it!
I do the same with my Rolexes..wear them for everything. They are all no older than 08 though. But they are built tough.
It feels good to use them.
I always buy things I love and appreciate twice! That way if I do destroy one through wear and tear I always have another mint one to start again with!
If you can afford to do that with watches then thats the way to do it - and from what I've seen I think Dr Tom may be able to do that!!

But a 6263? Nah! You're never getting another one of them for the price you previously paid!... Look after it and wear it sparingly...
Palermo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2016, 05:08 AM   #39
toneafficianado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palermo View Post
I always buy things I love and appreciate twice! That way if I do destroy one through wear and tear I always have another mint one to start again with!
If you can afford to do that with watches then thats the way to do it - and from what I've seen I think Dr Tom may be able to do that!!

But a 6263? Nah! You're never getting another one of them for the price you previously paid!... Look after it and wear it sparingly...
Good point Palermo. Different rules for vintage and rare watches.
toneafficianado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2016, 05:46 AM   #40
seattleal
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Gilt Subs
I've wanted a chapter ring 5512 for some time, but one I could wear, not store in a safe. So I placed a WTB, and specified "a daily wearer, not a museum piece."

Here is what I got, at a reasonable price - and I wear it without concern, because that's what I bought it to do -
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mid.jpg (136.3 KB, 96 views)
seattleal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2016, 05:58 AM   #41
Mark020
"TRF" Member

20 vintage watches here: all wearers (but 3 NOS examples). Oldest: 1940, newest: 1980
Mark020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2016, 12:58 PM   #42
sojourner
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all the replies.

I've decided that I love my 6263 too much to give up. However, my love for watches and Rolex in particular, because of durability under any conditions. This is, after all, a cornerstone of their legacy.

So, I'll keep the 6263 and now I've got my eye on a 16570 polar as a beater. Anyone with a complete set for sale - pm me!
Old 23 November 2016, 01:29 PM   #43
goldfixer21

If your car is vibrating enough to knock out the lume, maybe a tire rotation and balance would be a better solution
goldfixer21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2016, 11:29 PM   #44
Widows Son
"TRF" Member

My 14000 Airking is my go everywhere, do almost anything watch. When it gets dirty from working outside, I dunk it in the sink and scrub it with Scrubbing Bubbles and a toothbrush. Looks like new. Had it serviced last year for the first time in like 20 years!!!
Widows Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2016, 11:54 PM   #45
HeartRolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEXROLEXROLEX
Just to help clarify..."vintage" usually refers to items that are less than 100 years of age but at least 50, while "antique" would be at least 100.

Oh and "retro" would be the recent past.

:-)
HeartRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2016, 12:02 AM   #46
HeartRolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEXROLEXROLEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfixer21 View Post
If your car is vibrating enough to knock out the lume, maybe a tire rotation and balance would be a better solution
Sorry I have to giggle at this one.
HeartRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2016, 12:25 AM   #47
lhanddds
Banned

Watch: of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by droptopman View Post
Been going through this dilemma lately. So much that I have considered selling off all my vintage watches.

I started wearing Rolex because they are built like tanks and suited my active lifestyle. I grab a watch in the morning, go to the gym, wear it in the sauna, steam room and spa. Wear them golfing, while lifting and so on. I have been afraid to do this with my recent vintage pieces. Kind of defeats the purpose for me. Looking back, maybe I should not have upgraded, I had a couple of vintage pieces that were nice but not necessarily rare or super collectible and I wore them everywhere.

While I much prefer the look and feel of the four digit references, I have been leaning towards more modern examples lately. In fact, sold and shipped my 1675 today to be replaced by...don't flame me a 116613.

For now I am keeping my 1966 5513 Bart, but at some point might move it as well. It is my favorite all time reference, but not very practical as I will not wear it in situations where it could get damaged. I know it is 50 years old and survived this long, it is also insured, but I just would not want to take a chance on ruining what is becoming a fairly rare example.

This stuff goes in cycles for me...
You can't sell the Bart
lhanddds is offline   Reply With Quote