The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 March 2017, 01:14 AM   #1
j-watch
"TRF" Member

Watch: HULK, BLRO, 16523
New SD Observations from the various photo's now about the net....

Good day gents! Whether you like it, or loath it, the new SD has arrived. Personally........, I like it. While not necessarily perfect (IMHO) I think it will be a nice addition to the current dive watch line up. Having owned 6 - 16600's, one 1665, 2 - Deepsea's, and one 116600 over the years, I'm somewhat of an SD lover.

I've been studying the photo's that can be found around the net as of this morning. Seems a few things stick out that I have yet to see mentioned:

First, the SEL's are more of the traditional geometry and size. Meaning there's no longer that "hump" that sticks out above the lugs. I'm very glad to see this!

Second, the geometry of the SS bezel is similar to that of the Deepsea as opposed to that of the outgoing 116600. What I mean is, look at the side profile picture that you can "enlarge" in this link:

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-_L5ddbzHC..._Side-View.jpg

You'll notice that the "grippy / machined portion" of the outer SS bezel is wider and rises up more then that of the 116600's. I always felt like that part of the 116600'a bezel was not machined deep enough, which gave the bezel a less "course or grippy" feel to it compared to my 16600 or even my BLNR. For one, I really like this and never understood why they scaled that back on the 116600.

Third observation is that it seems they are going back to the "longer" lug design which results in a more "curvy" case side profile. More like that of the 16600 and the very old 1665. Again, I see this as a plus as the watch will feel likes it's "wrapping" around your wrist more, and less like the lugs are "wings" floating high above ones wrist.

The fourth and last observation I see is that the dial, "while Rolex claims on their website is glossy", appears more "satin" like that of the 116600's, as opposed to the 16600 model's total gloss appearance. Again, it's subjective, but I like this variation. To me, it represents another subtle difference between the new SD and the Submariners. Here's a link to some live photo's that seem to show that "satin" appearance I referred too.

https://www.watchcollectinglifestyle...ctures-pricing

All in all, I'm happy with the changes. I'm okay with the up sizing, as I already own an 116600 and will be keeping it. For me, it will be the best of both worlds. I'm an SD lover / collector, so that just makes sense for me. Also, my wrists are close to 8", so the 43mm size (assuming they didn't increase the thickness too much) will be a nice addition to my collection. I also don't mind the cyclops as my 50 year old eyes have to work overtime to see the date on my 116600 as it is now.

For all the folks that simply don't like the new design.....well, to each there own, I guess. The good news for you chaps is that there are only a few hundred thousand....to potentially millions of older SD's out in the wild, and they're not too terribly difficult to source should you prefer one....the exception being the 1665's and the triple 6's of course.

Anyway, just my 2 cents!

Cheers,

Joe
j-watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2017, 01:16 AM   #2
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Joe, I am 45yr and my eyes appreciate the cyclops.
Old 23 March 2017, 01:29 AM   #3
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Great post.

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote