The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 17 September 2017, 09:02 AM   #1
Plume
"TRF" Member

Seadweller double red - 1974

Any thoughts about changing the crystal on a double red - mine is original 1974 and in good condition with a few small minor scratches. In reading other posts it seems the consensus is to leave the original and try polish out scratches. What about the bracelet? Again, mine is original and seems to be fine but don't want to find excess wear and the watch falls off my wrist.
Plume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2017, 09:15 AM   #2
BNA/LION
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
Keep it Original. IMHO

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2017, 04:57 AM   #3
pbyrneswork
"TRF" Member

Original
pbyrneswork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2017, 05:08 AM   #4
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Could always source another bracelet/crystal and keep the original parts too....whatever you're comfortable with. Old plastic crystal that old may develop cracks and prevent the watch from sealing/pressure tested.....might not be the greatest thing to preserve the dial if you're around humidity. Just food for thought.....contact Michael Young for some good dome crystals as modern replacements.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2017, 01:24 AM   #5
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
If you're going to wear the watch, replace the crystal and keep the original tucked away. You need to baby that dial, and any moisture/humidity is a killer. The original crystal is cool, of course, but proper preservation is cooler.

And BTW, let's see some photos!
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2017, 02:19 AM   #6
schaumburgla
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5513 Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
If you're going to wear the watch, replace the crystal and keep the original tucked away. You need to baby that dial, and any moisture/humidity is a killer. The original crystal is cool, of course, but proper preservation is cooler.

And BTW, let's see some photos!

Agree with Swish on this. These old crystals are prone too leaking even after a pressure test is performed & the watch passes. The old plexi's will without notice develop small cracks at the base where it is impossible to see without removing the bezel. Speaking from experience I have had one too many mishaps with old domed crystals & on one instance ruined a dial in a pool. My watch was not even totally saturated. It took on just enough moisture too seep on the outer rim of the dial. Tough lesson learned & I typically do not use my old watches in the water any longer but had I just put a new crystal on this would have not happened. Of course if you know your watch will not encounter any moisture or water than it's of no consequence.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 53a.jpg (126.5 KB, 204 views)
schaumburgla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2017, 10:34 AM   #7
Plume
"TRF" Member

Plexiglass DRSD

Thanks for all the advice. I wear this watch everyday. When on vacation, I never leave it in the room. Its always on my wrist, swimming in seas, pools, etc. Never experienced any problem. I have attached a few pictures. First time posting images so I hope they show up. Some minor scratches on the circumference of the plexiglass but hardly noticeable to the naked eye. I am inclined to leave it alone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5281.JPG (58.3 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5282.JPG (111.7 KB, 153 views)
Plume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2017, 10:55 AM   #8
mattedialdoc
"TRF" Member

I'd have a Service Dome and new Triplock crown/tube installed. I do this on all my vintage pieces. Save the old parts for resale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mattedialdoc is offline   Reply With Quote