The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 13 March 2018, 12:26 AM   #1
maxiboy60
"TRF" Member

114270 Explorer vs 11610

Back in November 2016 I acquired a 2008 V serial 114270. This was my second Rolex, having bought a M serial 11610 Submariner in 2008 Below are my thoughts on the watch, with some comparison made to my Sub. Technical observations I will leave to those more qualified that me, but they have practically the same movement, but the Sub has a date wheel and therefore a new ref.

Why the 114270?

Being a huge James Bond fan the first Rolex had to be a Submariner, and a collection of NATOs were purchased not long after to recreate that Sean Connery look. But even then the Explorer appealed to me. I have always like the Explorer for its simplicity. I view it as a hybrid, part sports watch, part dress watch. I am also a fan of the GMT and the Daytona, but in the former is too similar to the Sub and the latter too expensive. I admire the DJ, but prefer the versatility of the Explorer. It looks great under a tough jacket going on a walk through the woods, and at the same time looking great under a shirt cuff. In an ideal world I would be writing up a review of the 1016 Explorer, but sadly the price of these beauty's is far beyond my budget.

I did try on a 'short hands' 39mm Explorer last year, but the step in size was noticeable. I didn't hate it per say (apart from the polished numerals - too dressy), but the increase in size gave it similar wrist presence to my existing Submariner. It is also a good 30% more expensive that a pre-owned 36mm. After 2 years of obsessing over an Explorer, and settling on the 36mm version, I managed to acquire a 114270 with 5 months remaining on its RSC warranty for £3,760.

Initial Thoughts

After wearing a 40mm Tag Heuer Link Chrono for the last 12 years, and a 40mm Sub since 2008, the 36mm did take a while to get used to, but I absolutely love it. It sets it apart from my Sub, and indeed many of the watches I see around London and my place of work. On a watch like this 36mm is all you need, and it has a lovely profile on my wrist with the 78960 bracelet that has a slimmer profile than the 93150 Sub bracelet with the divers extension.

The inky black dial is absolutely gorgeous, and I love its no nonsense look. Watches that just tell the time will no longer be underestimated by me any longer! It’s just so easy, and a welcome change from my Tag which has a very busy dial, and the Sub with its date bubble that can sometimes distract. The arabic numbers are well proportioned, but I wish they were more in keeping with the style and font of the 1016 numbers. And as a bit of a lume fiend I wish they were filled with some lovely green stuff. This has now been corrected on the 39mm Explorer, but I still think the proportions don’t quite work in the 39mm size, despite the elongated hands.

vs 16610

One of my main concerns with purchasing the Explorer was that it was too similar to my Sub. Same brand, same oyster bracelet style, black face, same mercedes hands. All a bit similar, especially to part with £3,760 for. Thankfully I can report that this is not case at all. Anyway since when was one Rolex enough?! The Explorer has a completely different look, despite the similarities listed above.

When I want a chunky sports watch I strap on the Sub. When i'm at work I tend to strap on the Explorer. I find it is less in your face than the Sub, and it fits much better under a shirt cuff. I also work in finance in London, and I must see at least 3-4 Subs on peoples wrists per day, so the less popular Explorer makes a nice change. But the great thing is that by having both, I can immediately appreciate their respective differences when I change them over. I never considered this before my purchase, but in adding another Rolex to my collection I have fallen in love with the Explorer, but also fallen deeper in love with my Sub. To have both is absolutely fantastic, and I am incredibly fortunate that I have the means to own both.

Overall
To those that love the Explorer, I urge you to try the 36mm - it could be for you despite what you may think about the size. To those that are contemplating a second Rolex - you must do it. You will find your appreciation of both watches can only get higher.
maxiboy60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2018, 02:52 PM   #2
CaptainAmirika
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT Master
Great review! ����

I too recently acquired the Explorer 114270. It’s my go-anywhere do-anything watch when i’m not flying, my other Rolex is a GMT Master 2, 16710 with a Pepsi bezel.
And i like how both watches are different , one is busy and classy and the other simple yet elegant. Both are keepers and make me wonder why i even have my other watches.

Thanks for making me appreciate them even more.
CaptainAmirika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2018, 09:17 PM   #3
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Great review.

I love this watch. Had one. And it was great. But it was just too small for me. Otherwise I would still have it. It is definitely a class act.
Old 4 May 2018, 01:53 AM   #4
Rolex fan 61
"TRF" Member

I prefer the 2016 Mk2 39mm version.
Rolex fan 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2018, 11:46 AM   #5
N5XTC
"TRF" Member

Watch: 2008 Submariner
Icon20 NEW 2016 Mk2 39mm version

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex fan 61 View Post
I prefer the 2016 Mk2 39mm version.
I bought my MK2 version yesterday. I have had it for 34 hours and it is only 1 second fast, AMAZING. it was one second fast when I woke up this morning and has not gained any more time all day. even if it were 2 seconds by tom morning, that is only +1 per day, below the +2/-2. it is new, so it may settle in and who knows? by the way, i placed it dial up, flat on my desk at night. that may speed it up?

anyway, i am reading about the 36mm and am interested and it has me curious. i was between a 1999 sub (for 7k plus tax) OR the explorer. I also tried on the blue dial oyster perpetual and fell in love with it. I almost bought it over the explorer, it wore better IMOP. but, the classic hands on the explorer, the black dial, etc etc, I just figured I would regret if I got the oyster perpetual.

i am enjoying this thread and learning more about the explorer variations. too late now for me as i bought this new and am keeping it.

here is a thought, i am 52 years old and have so many dive type watches, like the omega 300m seamaster. the explorer is a dress/sports watch, a nice change. i was thinking about it, will i want to wear a Sub at age62, 72? i dont know. the explorer would prob be more to my liking as i age.

i'd like to hear from others out there who are older and still like wearing a sub. i always see them on younger or middle age people, rarely anyone over 50.

scott
N5XTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2018, 01:17 AM   #6
brianrhoff
"TRF" Member

Interesting take....
brianrhoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2018, 06:15 AM   #7
toomuchtalk
"TRF" Member

Lovely review...
toomuchtalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2018, 06:25 AM   #8
trouserkoff
"TRF" Member

I got a hulk and still miss my 16610 which I moved on to find it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
trouserkoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2018, 05:32 AM   #9
Michaelja
"TRF" Member

Nice review... I would prefer 114270
Michaelja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2018, 11:01 PM   #10
uansari1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar 16570
Interestingly, I started with the 114270 as well...then picked up an16610 a few months later. Totally different watches, but I love them both. I don’t find the 36mm too small...but then I wouldn’t wear anything over 40-41mm.
Explorer 124270
Omega Seamaster GMT 50th Anniversary
uansari1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 04:53 AM   #11
LFC5x
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Great review, I like the comparison to the sub. As someone with smaller wrists, the 36mm Exp appeals a bit more to me, just wish it had more lume like you said.
LFC5x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 08:00 AM   #12
sxdcfv
Banned

review

good review.
sxdcfv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2018, 12:05 PM   #13
conti02
"TRF" Member

Very nice review

從我的iPhone使用Tapatalk 發送
conti02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2018, 11:58 AM   #14
AQBill
"TRF" Member

Nice take on a great pair of watches - Sub & Explorer. My 114270 spends more time on my wrist than the rest of my 14 watches...and that's a good thing!
AQBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2018, 05:04 AM   #15
mhunt1014
"TRF" Member

Great review.
mhunt1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2018, 09:38 AM   #16
flon
Banned

I prefer the 114270, thanks for the review. Kudos
flon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2018, 07:02 AM   #17
m363718
"TRF" Member

Great review

LG-H960 cihazımdan Tapatalk kullanılarak gönderildi
m363718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2018, 07:03 AM   #18
Jonnyj
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster 2
Very nice review!
Jonnyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2018, 12:12 PM   #19
Neutronman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Blackbay 58
I'm a fan of the diver style of watch. I have an Explorer 214270 sitting in its box in a drawer, although I think that the dial design is near perfection it does not get any wrist time!
Neutronman is offline   Reply With Quote