The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 4 May 2018, 04:29 AM   #1
KateB
"TRF" Member

Watch: AK14000 & GMT16710
Question about Faded GMT inserts

Hello,

Advanced apologies if this question has been asked before.
I have been browsing the images of the 4 & 5 digit GMT models. It seems a majority of the faded bezel inserts on 1675 and 16750 are more faded on the BLUE side, but the 16700 and 16710 are often more faded on the RED side (if they do fade).
I obviously have not seen much and want to get some insights from the experts .:wor ship:

Thank you!

Kate
KateB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2018, 06:16 AM   #2
Tom1675
"TRF" Member

Here's a thread started by a GMT jedi a couple of weeks ago with a lot of image references for you to check out.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=600306

As for your observations here, I guess the blue fades more, but the red on certain inserts can change to a different color completely.
Tom1675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2018, 09:43 AM   #3
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom1675 View Post
Here's a thread started by a GMT jedi a couple of weeks ago with a lot of image references for you to check out.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=600306

As for your observations here, I guess the blue fades more, but the red on certain inserts can change to a different color completely.
That jedi has nothing on Superman...

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2018, 12:21 PM   #4
KateB
"TRF" Member

I am so embarrassed. Indeed I read this thread every day to look at the pictures and thinking "how handsome they must be when they were young!"
I just read the whole thread again and Sir Springer already answered all my questions in post #17. I'll make sure I will not be daydreaming again when reading!

Another question... is it possible to stop the fading once the insert reached the desired shade?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 4 May 2018, 12:37 PM   #5
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateB View Post
Another question... is it possible to stop the fading once the insert reached the desired shade?
Limiting long periods of exposure to UV light (ie: sunlight) is about the only preventative measure. It can be a crap shoot, really, since the dyes used during the anodizing process can lose color at different rates.

You'll also want to avoid solvents, cleaners, bleach, etc.

There are likely ways to protect the insert from UV exposure but any that I can think of would risk damage if removed. The value of the fade could potentially be retained but risks devaluing the insert itself.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2018, 01:23 PM   #6
KateB
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 037 View Post
Limiting long periods of exposure to UV light (ie: sunlight) is about the only preventative measure. It can be a crap shoot, really, since the dyes used during the anodizing process can lose color at different rates.

You'll also want to avoid solvents, cleaners, bleach, etc.

There are likely ways to protect the insert from UV exposure but any that I can think of would risk damage if removed. The value of the fade could potentially be retained but risks devaluing the insert itself.

Thank you . I saw a picture of a once fuchsia insert faded to a different color... I know that is the charm of aging but it's also scary to think about the day it will be gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankoman View Post
Pinky! This guy has a fuchsia on it now but came with this one.
Old 4 May 2018, 11:11 PM   #7
Toxicant
"TRF" Member

I hate faded inserts, I replaced mine on the 1675. I want my old stuff to look like new, patina in many cases just says it wasn't cared for. In the case of inserts they obviously were poorly designed, amazing that a screw up is coveted.

The old insert is around here somewhere and some silly sod will pay a fortune for it if I ever decided to sell it.

But this just me, I see people take an old surfaced rusted car and clear coat it to preserve the look.

Different strokes, I suppose.
Old 4 May 2018, 11:54 PM   #8
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxicant View Post
I hate faded inserts, I replaced mine on the 1675. I want my old stuff to look like new, patina in many cases just says it wasn't cared for. In the case of inserts they obviously were poorly designed, amazing that a screw up is coveted.

The old insert is around here somewhere and some silly sod will pay a fortune for it if I ever decided to sell it.

But this just me, I see people take an old surfaced rusted car and clear coat it to preserve the look.

Different strokes, I suppose.
New is always better? I sure prefer them defect to a certain degree.
Old 5 May 2018, 06:39 AM   #9
suligeo
2024 Pledge Member

Many Inlays faded to unique pieces
suligeo is offline   Reply With Quote