The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 29 May 2018, 08:22 AM   #1
tbkbabab
"TRF" Member

6424? Opions appreciated

Am a new member and was pointed in this direction because of below watch.

Long story shortish, I purchased this in London about 25 years ago I think for about 5 GBP. I presumed someone had put a Rolex dial and crown on another watch and bought it on that basis, they crown never screwed down properly so I never really wore and it got put in the back of a draw.
Decided I would have a major reduction in the size of my watch collection and got everything together to decide what would be going and remembered this one, still presuming it wasnt actually a Rolex.
Earlier this week took the back off a 80's Seiko quartz to check what battery it took and see if could get it going and sell it and at the same time I thought I would try to take the back off this one just out of curiosity really, it came off just using my fingers if that hadn't worked I probably wouldn't have bothered.

Pictures below which now after a bit of digging seem to point to this actually being a 6424 with a 1210 movement but opinions appreciated.
Case isnt in great condition and the lume dots on the dial look a little odd.
The watch obviously needs a major overhaul but would like to know what people think before deciding to spend what no doubt will be quite a bit for the work.

Well pictures would be here but when I try to add it says I need 10 posts to add a link or am I being a numpty?
tbkbabab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2018, 08:57 AM   #2
Paul
"TRF" Member

Hey mate and welcome. An interesting post. Send me your pics , I'll put them up for you and we can all disect the watch for you. Just use the forums PM system (if it will allow you to send pics ) or even eaaier just send the pics directly to my email ...

paul.needham7 (at) windowslive.com
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2018, 04:33 PM   #3
tbkbabab
"TRF" Member

Thanks Paul have sent a PM with a few pics

I can just about make out the serial number between the lugs which seems to date it to 1953

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 29 May 2018, 06:49 PM   #4
Paul
"TRF" Member

No probs. Here's the pics ...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg SA1.jpg (103.9 KB, 483 views)
File Type: jpg SA2.jpg (64.2 KB, 480 views)
File Type: jpg SA3.jpg (92.6 KB, 478 views)
File Type: jpg SA4.jpg (128.5 KB, 476 views)
Old 29 May 2018, 07:57 PM   #5
Paul
"TRF" Member

OK. My memory is jogged ....

The 6424 is a bit unusual - I recall the reference being discussed on VRF a few years back.

Unusual cos. it's a big 'un for the era. 36mm case with 20mm lug space from a time when many dress watches (including most Rolex) were smaller. This means the 6424, while being a true vintage watch, has a wrist presence that stacks up well in modern times.

Your case is probably ok and could be improved simply with a gentle freshen-up from SOMONE WHO KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE DOING. Note the capitals, many a vintage Rolex has been ruined on the polishing wheel - research carefully before you let any random watchmaker or jeweller loose on your case. A quick scoot around Google and I'm reminded too that the lugs on the 6424 weren't that meaty from new so what looks at glance to be somewhat rounded lugs ( well-worn or over-polished) might in fact be ok.

No date stamp inside the case back too. Once again, unusual for the era but seems to be correct for the 6424.

And yes, your lume (dots and hands) may have been touched up at some time. No big deal really, the dial looks original to me and that somewhat clumsy (chunky) applied coronet is so cool.

I'm an old watch guy so I'm biased but if it was me .... I'd pick up a jubilee bracelet and put it into wrist rotation. A vintage look leather strap with a Rolex buckle would look cool too. Value ... I dunno really. The dress watches are certainly in the shadows of the sports watches but the larger case of your watch would appeal to many folk. And yes I know, there's plenty of love for the 34mm Rolex dress watches ... but a lot of folk favour something a bit bigger nowadays
Old 29 May 2018, 08:24 PM   #6
Toronto Soup King
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1016.
Nice 6424. You paid a lot less for yours than I did for mine! So light and thin, nice on perlon and leather, and will never unduly bulge a shirtcuff.
Toronto Soup King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2018, 08:51 PM   #7
tbkbabab
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the comments really cant believe that it may turn out to actually be
a proper Rolex.
I may take it to RSC in London next week and ask them to check it out and
provided they dont kick it out as some kind of fake or franken I have a couple of people in mind to get it back running and looking smarter.

Has rather upset my reduction/rearrangement of the collection for the time being as this one hadn't really figured in it before.
Old 29 May 2018, 08:52 PM   #8
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

6424? Opions appreciated

Strangely clean for a 60 year old watch with clearly perished seals.

The thing that stands out to me is the absence of any watchmaker’s awl scratched service dates. I understand you may not have had it serviced over the past 25 years. Certainly by the time you got it some sort of service was likely done (by then it would’ve been 30-ish y.o.)

If all is correct then you have a nice old Oyster Precision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2018, 09:16 PM   #9
tbkbabab
"TRF" Member

Yes still a bit of a nagging doubt in my mind that something still isnt right about it.
But in 2 days I've gone from 100% sure it wasn't real to 75/80 per cent it is.

The photos make the dial and crystal look worse than they are, I just picked it up and real world they don't look bad and its running. I wound it yesterday and it ran for about 5 seconds and stopped so put it back in the watch box but this morning its running although have no idea yet how accurately.
Old 30 May 2018, 02:58 AM   #10
tbkbabab
"TRF" Member

Just been told by someone who should know that it all looks genuine but
the movement is probably a 1215 which is now obsolete so spares rather
difficult to source.
Old 30 May 2018, 10:31 PM   #11
Toronto Soup King
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1016.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Strangely clean for a 60 year old watch
I bought mine from a place called Parker's in the UK and it was clean as a whistle outside...stopped dead shortly after purchase though and my watchmaker belly-laughed when he opened it and saw how gummed-up the movement was. But being the venerable and bulletproof movement it is, he simply cleaned, lubed, gasketed and returned the watch...looks great inside and out now.
Toronto Soup King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2018, 12:52 AM   #12
tbkbabab
"TRF" Member

Just a quick update.
Took it to RSC today. They didn't kick me out the door but said they need a couple of days to look at it properly and would try to let me know by the end of the week.
Also said if it's a 1215 movement they do still have some parts.
Old 5 June 2018, 02:25 AM   #13
Frank80
"TRF" Member

Watch: u talkin' bout
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbkbabab View Post
Just a quick update.
Took it to RSC today. They didn't kick me out the door but said they need a couple of days to look at it properly and would try to let me know by the end of the week.
Also said if it's a 1215 movement they do still have some parts.
I may be wrong, but I believe the 1215 is just a 1210 with a date function. I had no problem having my 1225 serviced with genuine parts from an independent so I am sure you'll have no issues finding another route if RSC says they can't service it.
Frank80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2018, 02:32 AM   #14
tbkbabab
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank80 View Post
I may be wrong, but I believe the 1215 is just a 1210 with a date function. I had no problem having my 1225 serviced with genuine parts from an independent so I am sure you'll have no issues finding another route if RSC says they can't service it.
I am not sure about the movement as I've seen watches both with and without a date which say they have a 1215 movement, mine doesnt.

I have a couple of other people who say they can do it, I really took it to RSC to hopefully confirm the legitimacy of the watch.
Old 5 June 2018, 03:09 AM   #15
Frank80
"TRF" Member

Watch: u talkin' bout
Quote:
I am not sure about the movement as I've seen watches both with and without a date which see they have a 1215 movement, mine doesnt.

I have a couple of other people who say they can do it, I really took it to RSC to hopefully confirm the legitimacy of the watch.
From what I've heard back then Rolex used whatever they had on hand at the time be it a mis-marked case back or bridge. As long as it fit.
Frank80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2018, 03:26 AM   #16
tbkbabab
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank80 View Post
From what I've heard back then Rolex used whatever they had on hand at the time be it a mis-marked case back or bridge. As long as it fit.
Yes seems fairly common practice for a lot of manufacturers at this time.
Old 17 June 2018, 12:08 AM   #17
tbkbabab
"TRF" Member

Brief update, just heard back from RSC that as they no longer make parts for this
movement they arent willing to service it.
It will be off to an independent who has a supply of the usually required parts when I receive it back.
Old 20 July 2018, 04:51 AM   #18
tbkbabab
"TRF" Member

A little update on this and request for further opinions.

I took it to RSC in London and they eventually came back and said that as they no longer
Manufacture parts for the 1215 movement they were unable to service it and suggested I take it to an independent.
I sent it to someone I have used before and apart from the service they are going to fit
a new crystal and Crown tube plus tidy up the case, they have also said they can refinish the dial but I am unsure whether to go ahead with this or just leave the dial.
I don’t have any experience of vintage Rolex so wondered what the general view
Is on refinished dials and how it is likely to affect the value although I am sure at some
point someone has already redone the lume dots and not very well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 20 July 2018, 11:45 AM   #19
adam78
"TRF" Member

The dial'd be better by having your watchmaker carefully scrape off the re-applied lume dots and removing the lume in the hands altogether.
Old 20 July 2018, 04:48 PM   #20
tbkbabab
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam78 View Post
The dial'd be better by having your watchmaker carefully scrape off the re-applied lume dots and removing the lume in the hands altogether.
I have asked if he can do this, if not think I will have to go ahead with
the refinish of the dial.
Old 30 October 2019, 06:10 AM   #21
Hpfarabutto
"TRF" Member

Watch: Moonwatch
Very nice reference, I’m looking for it too
Hpfarabutto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2019, 02:28 AM   #22
motoikkyu
2024 Pledge Member

I love these, and the dial color on yours is terrific. These are great watches and I think many folks have undue concerns about them. The movements are identical with the smaller versions, the 6426, 6427, and those are not super-desirable so there will always be donors around. The concern about unscrewing and winding daily has not been an issue except for the most clumsy users: as long as you screw down carefully and deliberately and don't force a cross -thread problem, the crowns have held up for me. A very nice, slim, profile, and an understated look. I congratulate you.
Old 31 October 2019, 07:41 AM   #23
miamiclay
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
A little update on this and request for further opinions.
I don’t have any experience of vintage Rolex so wondered what the general view
Is on refinished dials and how it is likely to affect the value although I am sure at some
point someone has already redone the lume dots and not very well.
Quote:
I have asked if he can do this [‘scrape off’ the lume], if not think I will have to go ahead with
the refinish of the dial.
Sometimes the finish on the dial is porous enough that removing the lume leaves white spots on the dial. In answer to your broader question, yes, refinishing the dial generally reduces the value unless the original is just too unattractive.

If he can either fully remove or even just do a better job on the re-lume, then (absent other damage not seen here), I would not refinish the rest of this dial. If not, it might be a tossup between this current lume or all redone, I’d probably leave it as is. One problem is that there may be no way to know whether removing the lume entirely will leave marks on this original finish or not without trying.
miamiclay is offline   Reply With Quote