The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 9 June 2018, 04:18 AM   #61
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
But they just did this (albeit slight) to the GMT. I’d definitely like to see more than that knocked off.
Honestly, I don't believe they did. When you look at pictures or side by sides I can't see a bit of difference in the two. They say redesigned lugs, same with the Deepsea, I have no idea what that means still. Other than made to fit new bracelets, is there a source you can point me too that says from Rolex that they "slimmed", "shaved or trimmed" the newer model lugs in any way.

People say that a SD43 and a red text Sub could co-exist. I highly disagree. The reason that the SD4K and the SD(5 digit) always sold so poorly was that to the masses, there was not a defining reason to pay more for a watch that was essentially the same, and possibly more uncomfortable.
Now the SD43 has a cyclops, they will be indistinguishable even to me at a glance. The SD43 will instantly die a quick death among average shoppers assuming both are sitting in the case as it was before.
The only way the SD43 will sell is for people who just want a bigger watch.

I have been proved incredibly wrong by Rolex recently so I'll never say never again, but I highly doubt we will ever see a Seadweller and a Submariner being sold alongside each other in the same aesthetic design. So the logical reason would mean that the red text on the SD43 will have to go.
I mean, I would have owned both a Submariner and SD4K or the older five digits together. And even a Sub C and a SD43, but no way in hell would I buy a red text Submariner C and a red text SD43. Given the choice between the two I would easily pick the red text Sub and go big on a Deepsea.
Can't have your cake and eat it too this time.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2018, 04:20 AM   #62
DonBateman
Banned

Watch: I like watch
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Done, you are already 7th at your local AD.
Wonderful! However, I will wait no longer then 20 years.
DonBateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2018, 04:36 AM   #63
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccaballero View Post
The SD43 marks the 50th anniversary of the sea dweller. The SD43 looks back to the original single Red Sea dweller which was the first sea dweller. When Rolex created the original single red SD the intention was to have a cyclops incorporated into the plexi glass. However, the glass could not survive depth testing with the cyclops so Rolex abandoned the cyclops for the sea dweller. The sd43 marks the fact that Rolex has now developed the technology to make the cyclops viable at sea dweller depths.

There is nothing inconsistent about the cyclops and the sea dweller.
I honestly don't believe this anymore. The older watches of that time on plexis had huge domes poking out and the Seadwellers even more so, comically so. Something I actually love of the vintage watches, however, I think Rolex just didn't want to add another dimension of elevation to the Seadweller.
When the sapphire crystals came to being, the dome was reduced but therewas still a protrusion on the Seadweller and anybody who's had a Seadweller can probably attest to crystal chipping at some point, a cyclops would exacerbate this.

Now we have the SD43. What did Rolex do different, the crystal is now recessed and flat along the bezel like the Submariner. The Deepsea's huge crystal is also recessed and domed to help prevent any sticking out.
The little tiny experience I have regarding pressurizing designs, I cannot for the life of me understand how a cyclops on one watch design could not survive pressure testing on another. Waterproof vessels come in all shapes, they had the tech to send other watches to the bottom, and glue, well that technology was well evolved during the crystal sapphire redesign.

In summary, I just think Rolex didn't want to add it for aesthetics and gave us marketing mumbo jumbo that the layman would say "ohhhhhh, ok".
That's my X-Files conspiracy take on it.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2018, 04:47 AM   #64
Aliow
"TRF" Member

And the requirement and the need to release a Red sub sea is
Aliow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2018, 04:50 AM   #65
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
Now we have the SD43. What did Rolex do different, the crystal is now recessed and flat along the bezel like the Submariner. The Deepsea's huge crystal is also recessed and domed to help prevent any sticking out.
The little tiny experience I have regarding pressurizing designs, I cannot for the life of me understand how a cyclops on one watch design could not survive pressure testing on another. Waterproof vessels come in all shapes, they had the tech to send other watches to the bottom, and glue, well that technology was well evolved during the crystal sapphire redesign.

In summary, I just think Rolex didn't want to add it for aesthetics and gave us marketing mumbo jumbo that the layman would say "ohhhhhh, ok".
That's my X-Files conspiracy take on it.
I agree with this 100%. Rolex could have designed the original 1665 acrylic with a smooth magnification bulge to prevent any sharp angles as points of weakness. Since they didn't do it on the 1665, there would have been little motivation to carry it forward.

Seeing the date, even while in a deep sea decompression chamber for days on end, is of lesser value to a diver. Seeing the date on a modern dive watch intended for a broader (and generally older) audience on terra firma is far more compelling.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2018, 05:07 AM   #66
Macnavara
"TRF" Member

No more red lettering please it’s losing its special appealNo more red lettering please it’s losing its special appeal
Macnavara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2018, 06:12 AM   #67
crazycarlitos
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfreed22 View Post
With the popularity of the SD43 release last year it seems inevitable that Rolex will give us a line of red text on a Submariner in the near future. But just as the SD43 was not a true recreation of the old SD's (43mm and cyclops) what do you think Rolex would change if they were to release a new Red Sub?
Of course Rolex will put red text on the sub in the future.
It’s a no-brainer, profit-wise and to build on sub’s already iconic history.
It’s possible Rolex does it with the new (and prob bigger 42mm?) sub in 122610 model.. or wait for an anniversary of some sort. But it’s happening sooner or later.

Also Rolex was not trying to “recreate” the original SD when they developed the SD43 IMO. Just a slight homage, perhaps.
Not even sure why Rolex would want a “true recreation”

I do agree with some saying that past SD was too similar to the sub to become popular among the public. Most people preferred the cheaper, slimmer and more iconic Sub. Hence the poor sales #.

Imo Rolex learned their lesson.
Didn’t matter if it lacked a cyclops or not. But what matters is the actual size difference.
Making sd into 43 was a brilliant move. And from now on, I think Sd and sub will be differentiated by width as well depth of the case...not some silly thing like whether it has a cyclops or not.
Old 9 June 2018, 06:28 AM   #68
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycarlitos View Post
Of course Rolex will put red text on the sub in the future.
It’s a no-brainer, profit-wise and to build on sub’s already iconic history.
It’s possible Rolex does it with the new (and prob bigger 42mm?) sub in 122610 model.. or wait for an anniversary of some sort. But it’s happening sooner or later.

Also Rolex was not trying to “recreate” the original SD when they developed the SD43 IMO. Just a slight homage, perhaps.
Not even sure why Rolex would want a “true recreation”

I do agree with some saying that past SD was too similar to the sub to become popular among the public. Most people preferred the cheaper, slimmer and more iconic Sub. Hence the poor sales #.

Imo Rolex learned their lesson.
Didn’t matter if it lacked a cyclops or not. But what matters is the actual size difference.
Making sd into 43 was a brilliant move. And from now on, I think Sd and sub will be differentiated by width as well depth of the case...not some silly thing like whether it has a cyclops or not.
You do realize the first and second half of your post, completely contradict one another?

You go from saying they may up the size of a Sub to 42mm and add red text....thus clearly making the Sub identical to the SD once again......to then saying it was smart for them to clearly differentitate the two models and it will stay that way into the future.
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2018, 06:33 AM   #69
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
You do realize the first and second half of your post, completely contradict one another?

You go from saying they may up the size of a Sub to 42mm and add red text....thus clearly making the Sub identical to the SD once again......to then saying it was smart for them to clearly differentitate the two models and it will stay that way into the future.
I think this is what's colloquially called the "same difference."
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2018, 06:36 AM   #70
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 037 View Post
I think this is what's colloquially called the "same difference."
Old 9 June 2018, 06:37 AM   #71
crazycarlitos
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Last I checked, 43 > 42...

And 42 is just my guess for next sub. It may remain same or changed to 41;42. But they won’t do 43 imho

Also I dont think they will make the sub with 22mm bracelet width.
Old 9 June 2018, 06:44 AM   #72
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Last I checked, 43 > 42...

And 42 is my guess for next sub. It may remain same or changed to 41;42. But they won’t do 43 imho
lol it still completely contradicts your statement that Rolex will 'clearly differentiate them'. When one is 40mm with no red text....and the other is 43mm with red text.....making the first model 42mm with red text is clearly taking away the main characteristics that differentiate them to begin with.

A 42mm Sub with red text and a 43mm SD with red text is the exact same predicament they had prior....there's too much overlap.
Old 9 June 2018, 06:50 AM   #73
crazycarlitos
"TRF" Member

Lol ok whatever. I didn’t say they would do red texts on the next sub. I said it’s possible.

Obviously u don’t get the what I am trying to say.
No point beating a dead horse
Old 9 June 2018, 06:57 AM   #74
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Lol ok whatever. I didn’t say they would do red texts on the next sub. I said it’s possible.

Obviously u don’t get the what I am trying to say.
No point beating a dead horse
"Of course Rolex will put red text on the sub in the future. "

I am understanding exactly what you're saying, perhaps you just didn't convey it the way you intended
Old 18 June 2018, 01:49 AM   #75
MrCowboy99
"TRF" Member

Same as thinking they will release a Pan AM GMT (white faced).
I do not offer or provide any Rolex investment advice or opinion regarding the nature, potential, value, suitability or profitability of any particular watch, collections of watches, transaction or investment watch collecting strategy, and you shall be fully responsible for any watch decisions you make, and such decisions will be based solely on your evaluation of your financial circumstances, watch objectives, risk tolerance, and what looks good in yoru opinion on your wrist.
MrCowboy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2018, 03:07 PM   #76
asantar17
"TRF" Member

sea dweller 50th

Any word if Rolex will stop production on this model with the red lettering?
asantar17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2018, 03:16 PM   #77
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 116600
Quote:
Originally Posted by asantar17 View Post
Any word if Rolex will stop production on this model with the red lettering?

Nope. No one knows what will happen.
watchmework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2018, 05:10 PM   #78
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
Red subs would mean mobs of angry vicious people laying siege to ADs in the hope to get one. Ain't gonna happen, not in today's crazy market. It would be different story if Rolex was having trouble shifting steel professional models.
Seibei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2018, 06:53 PM   #79
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter View Post
When I purchased my first Rolex (recently SD43). I discussed my options with the AD and a good family friend who is an avid collector (50+ Rolexe's). He said the SD has always been a unique watch and the SD43 is a special piece. He mentioned the sales ratio of SD vs. Submariners. I went for the SD43. Since March I have not seen a single SD43 at an AD or on a wrist but I have seen hundreds of Submariners between NYC and London.

I am happy with this piece and honestly I have wondered myself if they will discontinue the redline. It seemed in the past the redline was only available for a few years.

I also wonder how long it takes Rolex to recoup the cost for the engineering of the case, bracelet, bezel, crystal, etc, as these parts are not used on other watches. To me it does make sense to use the bezel, crystal, movement, and bracelet on other models.
I think the red line will stay on the SD43 as long as the hulk at least.
rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2018, 06:57 PM   #80
Singslinger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Red sub is not happening, get real
Agree.
Singslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2018, 07:30 PM   #81
Wools
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
Red sub would kill their SD sales. I can't see it happening.
I don’t think the SD would loose sales if Rolex added red text to the Submariner.

The reason why people buy the SD is they either want a professional diving watch that allows them to use a diving bell (Small) or they want a large watch as they have big wrists or want a prominent watch.

The Submariner & Sea Dweller fufil the same purpose but with different depth ratings & accompaning cases to match.
Wools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2018, 08:57 PM   #82
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfreed22 View Post
With the popularity of the SD43 release last year it seems inevitable that Rolex will give us a line of red text on a Submariner in the near future. But just as the SD43 was not a true recreation of the old SD's (43mm and cyclops) what do you think Rolex would change if they were to release a new Red Sub?
really?

ceramic bezels are still not on the full PM daytonas (minus the Pt) and its fair to say they have been a hit... still waiting
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2018, 09:37 PM   #83
lhanddds
Banned

Watch: of course
Quote:
Red sub is not happening, get real
Kind of like they'll never make a SS Pepsi
lhanddds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2018, 12:05 AM   #84
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
I don't think they will do a red sub, honestly. New movement, maybe. Different size, doubt it. Although stranger things have happened.

And a redesigned case, well...they might tell us that it's been redesigned but then we'll all look at macro pics and argue about it, so...who knows.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2018, 02:18 AM   #85
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wools View Post
I don’t think the SD would loose sales if Rolex added red text to the Submariner.

The reason why people buy the SD is they either want a professional diving watch that allows them to use a diving bell (Small) or they want a large watch as they have big wrists or want a prominent watch.

The Submariner & Sea Dweller fufil the same purpose but with different depth ratings & accompaning cases to match.
And here's why not. There is a long history of the market choosing the Sub over the SD. Those who need the GRV will buy SDs. Pretty much anyone else will pick a Sub because of the price advantage, size be damned. There are decades of history showing this. The SD has always been the more substantial watch; this is nothing new.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote