The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 16 June 2018, 10:54 PM   #1
Alex Ks
"TRF" Member

Calling on all 5140 owners

Hi all,

Looking to switch from Rolex to PP and have my eye on the 5140g. Quite difficult to find abundant info on the watch so I would like to ask you all to share your photos, thoughts and experiences with this watch.

My questions:

- What do you think about the watch size (37.2mm) on a 7 inch wrist?
- Does it work as a daily driver? Only with formal or casual attire as well?
- Any issues with the mechanism? How often do you service it?

Thank you!
Alex Ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2018, 11:32 PM   #2
BobDyl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Ks View Post
Hi all,

Looking to switch from Rolex to PP and have my eye on the 5140g. Quite difficult to find abundant info on the watch so I would like to ask you all to share your photos, thoughts and experiences with this watch.

My questions:

Thank you!

Former 5140 owner here. Some brief thoughts:

Due to its thin bezel and super thin case it wears more like a 38mm. Always looked great in the wrist - I have the same size wrist as you.

With the shiny strap it is more on the dressy side. You could make it more casual with a matte strap but it's still firmly in the dress watch category.

It's a grand complication so service is going to be more frequent and expensive than simpler pieces. That being said I think I only serviced it once in 7 years.

Compared to your Rolex my guess is you'll wear the 5140 more as an occasion watch rather than a daily driver. But ymmv.

Final comment: I hope your eyes are good because the subdials are small.

Good luck. It's an amazing piece! One of the thinnest grand complications ever made.
BobDyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2018, 11:36 PM   #3
Alex Ks
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDyl View Post
Former 5140 owner here. Some brief thoughts:

Due to its thin bezel and super thin case it wears more like a 38mm. Always looked great in the wrist - I have the same size wrist as you.

With the shiny strap it is more on the dressy side. You could make it more casual with a matte strap but it's still firmly in the dress watch category.

It's a grand complication so service is going to be more frequent and expensive than simpler pieces. That being said I think I only serviced it once in 7 years.

Compared to your Rolex my guess is you'll wear the 5140 more as an occasion watch rather than a daily driver. But ymmv.

Final comment: I hope your eyes are good because the subdials are small.

Good luck. It's an amazing piece! One of the thinnest grand complications ever made.
Thank you for the great feedback!
Why former owner if I may ask?
Old 16 June 2018, 11:44 PM   #4
BobDyl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thank you for the great feedback!

Why former owner if I may ask?

Of course. Just sold it at some point as I was reconfiguring the collection. It didn't get a lot of wrist time since I'm mainly super casual for work. I also have a 5146G that got a lot more wrist time. However I have missed the 5140 over the years...

Come to think of it I would take a look at the 5146G. It's a more versatile piece, larger, less expensive to buy and service, and really useful even as an annual as opposed to perpetual calendar.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg foto_no_exif.jpg (280.5 KB, 418 views)
Old 17 June 2018, 01:01 AM   #5
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
The 5140 wears bigger at 37.2 due to its thinner bezel.

I would classify it as a dress watch due to the round thin bezel and shiny strap.

I love the complication. Sold my 5205 to fund the 5140 and never regretted the decision.

It's 4 years old now, no experience on service. Heard it is expensive. But will cross the bridge when I get there.

Common pet peeve of this model is some "squish"date numbers on the sub dial. I am not bothered at all. In fact, it makes the imperfect sub dial unique.

You need to own at least a perpetual if you are an avid watch fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go for the timepiece you love. You will save more. ...
Rolexavidfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2018, 01:38 AM   #6
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
I had a 5140p and wore it as a daily for work. My wrist is 7 1/2 or so, and I never felt it was too small. The squashed numbers on the subdials didn’t bother me for quite a while, but then they did. I eventually used the watch as currency in a trade for a different watch. I enjoyed it while I had it. I would consider a 3940p.
Old 17 June 2018, 01:44 AM   #7
BobDyl
"TRF" Member

Some good viewpoints here. I'd also like to thank the OP for starting a non-Nautilus thread. ;-)
Old 17 June 2018, 02:28 AM   #8
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Of course. Just sold it at some point as I was reconfiguring the collection. It didn't get a lot of wrist time since I'm mainly super casual for work. I also have a 5146G that got a lot more wrist time. However I have missed the 5140 over the years...

Come to think of it I would take a look at the 5146G. It's a more versatile piece, larger, less expensive to buy and service, and really useful even as an annual as opposed to perpetual calendar.
The 5146 is certainly easier on the eye than the 5140, and those awkward squashed digits can't be unseen. I'd go with the 5146 on aesthetic grounds.
rolexpatek363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2018, 03:08 AM   #9
soundserious
"TRF" Member

Vote for the 5140 here. Agree about the squished numerals in theory but on the wrist the watch is basically the perfect daily wearer on a strap.
Old 17 June 2018, 03:09 AM   #10
dom007
"TRF" Member

Watch: on the dark side
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2la View Post
The squashed numbers on the subdials didn’t bother me for quite a while, but then they did.
Steve, that is definitely a sign that you have spent to much time on watch forums...

Quote:
I'd also like to thank the OP for starting a non-Nautilus thread. ;-)
dom007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2018, 05:36 AM   #11
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi all,

My questions:

Thank you!
A Patek perpetual calendar is a very special watch. Patek patented the PC on a pocket watch back in 1889 and introduced the first PC wristwatch in the 1920s. Although Rolex has a rich history in watch manufacturing and has made triple calendar watches, they have never manufactured a perpetual calendar watch. In fact their most complicated calendar watch is an annual calendar, introduced in 2012 with the Sky Dweller.

Having said that, the 5140 uses the same 240Q movement that Patek has used on the 3940 (its predecessor) since 1985. It is a solid movement and a workhorse movement. There is no seconds hand on the 5140 and that may bother some people. However it uses a very thin movement with a micro-rotor and the 5140 is a perfect dress watch with its slim case. It can certainly be a daily watch, especially if you work in London and wear a suit to work everyday. If you live in the US and wear casual attire to work, then it may not be the most practical daily watch. The 37mm case size is not too small by any means, as dress watches aren't meant to stand out on your wrist, like a sports watch does.

Most Patek ADs will recommend a service every 5 years, but it will depend on how often you wear the watch. As per Patek's website, the cost of a PC service is 1800 CHF or its equivalent in the country you service the watch. If you live in London, the Patek Salon on Bond Street should be able to service this watch easily.

The 5140 is an under-appreciated watch here on TRF, partly because the forum is heavily oriented towards sports watches. However if you are going to get a Patek, I would highly recommend a PC over a simple 3 hand Nautilus, because the complication is where Patek really stands out amongst its peer in the world of haute horology.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2018, 06:00 AM   #12
Alex Ks
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
A Patek perpetual calendar is a very special watch. Patek patented the PC on a pocket watch back in 1889 and introduced the first PC wristwatch in the 1920s. Although Rolex has a rich history in watch manufacturing and has made triple calendar watches, they have never manufactured a perpetual calendar watch. In fact their most complicated calendar watch is an annual calendar, introduced in 2012 with the Sky Dweller.

Having said that, the 5140 uses the same 240Q movement that Patek has used on the 3940 (its predecessor) since 1985. It is a solid movement and a workhorse movement. There is no seconds hand on the 5140 and that may bother some people. However it uses a very thin movement with a micro-rotor and the 5140 is a perfect dress watch with its slim case. It can certainly be a daily watch, especially if you work in London and wear a suit to work everyday. If you live in the US and wear casual attire to work, then it may not be the most practical daily watch. The 37mm case size is not too small by any means, as dress watches aren't meant to stand out on your wrist, like a sports watch does.

Most Patek ADs will recommend a service every 5 years, but it will depend on how often you wear the watch. As per Patek's website, the cost of a PC service is 1800 CHF or its equivalent in the country you service the watch. If you live in London, the Patek Salon on Bond Street should be able to service this watch easily.

The 5140 is an under-appreciated watch here on TRF, partly because the forum is heavily oriented towards sports watches. However if you are going to get a Patek, I would highly recommend a PC over a simple 3 hand Nautilus, because the complication is where Patek really stands out amongst its peer in the world of haute horology.

Wow great write up! Thanks so much for your advice. Totally agree.
Old 19 June 2018, 02:25 AM   #13
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2la View Post
I had a 5140p and wore it as a daily for work. My wrist is 7 1/2 or so, and I never felt it was too small. The squashed numbers on the subdials didn’t bother me for quite a while, but then they did. I eventually used the watch as currency in a trade for a different watch. I enjoyed it while I had it. I would consider a 3940p.
I Agree with this. I ended up going 3940g...a bit cheaper than the p, and you get a display back
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 10:18 AM   #14
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
The lack of a center sweep seconds hand is an issue to many people who decide against the watch. Coming from Rolex that is a big change.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 10:10 PM   #15
Doogiehaos
Banned

Wow, Nice write
Doogiehaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 12:42 AM   #16
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
The lack of a center sweep seconds hand is an issue to many people who decide against the watch. Coming from Rolex that is a big change.
The lack of a seconds hand on the 240 movement has been known since the caliber 240 was introduced 30+ years ago. However Patek makes several other PCs with a central seconds hand (5159, 5496, 5230) if someone really wants/needs a seconds hand.

I haven't heard of anyone not purchasing a 5712 because of a lack of a central seconds hand
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 03:17 AM   #17
Oryx
"TRF" Member

Centre seconds hand then adds to the thickness of the case - to me a PC should have a slim and elegant case. I think this must be what a lot of collectors want which is why Patek chose to use this configuration in the 5740G
Oryx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2018, 11:08 PM   #18
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
The new Nautilus Perpetual won’t be having a second hand as well. We will get the chance to see if this is an issue for Nautilus lovers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go for the timepiece you love. You will save more. ...
Rolexavidfan is offline   Reply With Quote