The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 22 June 2018, 03:53 PM   #31
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quailhunter View Post
I'm in doubt that one state can impose a law on a business in another state.
You cannot ship alcohol from certain states to another state. Or Tesla cannot directly sell a car from california to a customer in Michigan. It has to go via a local dealership. So states do in fact do this in many situations.

They cant impose a law on out of state business activity, but once that business activity crosses the border then they can.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 04:14 PM   #32
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

the other interesting effect willl be ticket resellers like stub hub and the like. This ruling gives states more control regarding out of state transactions for products that will be consumed in their state.

A lot of states have laws against selling tickets to events over face value...scalping. Ticket reselling companies get away with it because if they are registered in delaware for example and reselling tickets for events in california then its interstate commerce and the state cant really do anything about it since there is no federal law. Now the ticket platforms may have to monitor the states where customers cannot buy their tickets or the restrictions the individual states have on this activity.

Its only a matter of time until someone uses this to apply it to something else since it clearly gives states control over online transactions for products coming into their state.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 22 June 2018, 05:12 PM   #33
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
I guess this is good news...? Tax evasion is what it has been.
Old 22 June 2018, 09:02 PM   #34
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
I'm just glad that I #1 already bought my two Rolex watches from trusted sellers prior to this warning, and #2 that I'm about 30 min away from tax-free Delaware which is where I make most of my large purchases (including my latest Black Bay) anyway.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 09:07 PM   #35
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayerische View Post
I guess this is good news...? Tax evasion is what it has been.
+1

and it also has been unfair competition for in-state brick & mortar stores with in-state employees and in-state tax payments.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 09:24 PM   #36
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
+1

and it also has been unfair competition for in-state brick & mortar stores with in-state employees and in-state tax payments.
that is my biggest issue. People use B&M for show rooming and buy online and don't pay tax. Its like 8-10% less right off the bat and not taking overhead into account but with that is even more. I like physical stores and if the show roomers are not careful they wont even have a place to see physical products anymore as they are disappearing at an alarming rate.

Ive said it before halfway serious but AD's should charge $50 to try on watches if you are not an established customer. At least that way they get some benefit from people using their establishment with no intent to buy anything. The fee is applicable to a future AD watch purchase.
Old 22 June 2018, 11:05 PM   #37
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
The devil is in the details. I understand the ruling but think enforcement and compliance is going to be very difficult against smaller businesses and companies. How will you handle shipping enforcement to ensure compliance. Many of the transaction I do are trades and fall outside of the sales tax issue for the value of the item I am trading. I would only be liable for extra cash for the trade. 50 states with different rules will set up a mess. Not worried as prices are what they are and adjustments can be made to allow for my best outcome. Buying the watches I want.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2018, 03:44 PM   #38
rolehex

I don't care about tax on new items but second hand items that were already charged tax a one time should not be charged tax again.
rolehex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2018, 04:00 PM   #39
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolehex View Post
I don't care about tax on new items but second hand items that were already charged tax a one time should not be charged tax again.
Agreed, marginal taxation should be present though.

This is how it is in the EU. VAT is added only on new items.

Can of course be added by a VAT registered business ontop of a used items price aswell, but makes no sense to add around 20%. Is often done on items sold/traded between businesses as the VAT is claimable. But not to consumers as VAT can't be claimed by a consumer.