The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 22 June 2018, 12:16 PM   #31
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
People are going to tip because they have been trained to tip.

In Vegas there isn't some sub-minimum wage for tip earners, they all make union scale or Nevada minimum, which is a buck above the fed. Everybody still tips, and tips big, especially tourists.....

Maitre' ds and head waiters are making more than you with their tips.
Old 22 June 2018, 12:17 PM   #32
Star Ferry
Banned

To answer your question, yes because U.S. federal minimum wage is not a living wage

I've actually gotten a complaint about a 15% tip before. Half the bill was one bottle of wine so I tipped 10% on the drink and 20% on the food. He didn't even refill the glasses, just opened the bottle. Some of these people need to stop expecting huge compensation for doing simple tasks poorly -- it's embarrassing
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 12:17 PM   #33
Grnvette65
"TRF" Member

I typically stay out of these type threads but in my experience the countries where no tip is expected...the service is usually better. I travel to Germany a lot and find the service better than average. In the USA, I find the staff usually expects an 18-20+ tip even if the service is below average ( I’m not even talking about average service). Tipping was a way to thank the server who does an exceptional job, the concept is lost. These statements have nothing to do w being cheap or not. Will be interesting to see how this plays out over time.
Grnvette65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 12:21 PM   #34
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Would you still tip when restaurants start to pay full minimum wage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
People are going to tip because they have been trained to tip.

In Vegas there isn't some sub-minimum wage for tip earners, they all make union scale or Nevada minimum, which is a buck above the fed. Everybody still tips, and tips big, especially tourists.....

Maitre' ds and head waiters are making more than you with their tips.

Which what they do in Vegas is still somewhat reasonable. What 77 is doing is nothing close to that at $15/hr.

Agree with you on tips, you can make good money in the service business and anyone who believes otherwise has either never been in it or been in the wrong establishments. And to get into the right establishments, you have to be good at what you do. Like any other job/career.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 12:21 PM   #35
Gentleman8
"TRF" Member

Norway:
In the hospitality industry (hotels, restaurants and catering), workers over 20 years of age and those 18 years old and above with at least four months of work experience must earn at least NOK 157.18 per hour.
Which is about USD 19.30
Old 22 June 2018, 12:23 PM   #36
Rebel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Sub 75090
Yes.
Old 22 June 2018, 12:25 PM   #37
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
For a time many years ago, I worked security in a world renowned fine dining establishment.

During that time, I had the opportunity to get to know the whole staff from the owners, to the cooks and clerks, to the chefs and the waiters.

It was one of the great eye-opening experiences of my life.

There were many remarkable things about the restaurant that I could share, but I will remain on topic and discuss the wait staff.

These were some of the most remarkable men I've ever met. They didn't just wait tables, but they also had clientele that they would keep tabs on throughout the year to make sure that they would come in to dine.

Diners would call to make reservations with a particular waiter and those who were big spenders would have access to a private entrance.

These waiters were pure professionals and they ranged in age from young middle age to two who were at the time in their mid-nineties.

They worked hard and it paid off well. Most, if not all, knocked down six figures per year at the restaurant and because of the nature of that business, they almost all had businesses on the side.

I don't think things would change a lot at that restaurant because it is to this day an institution and a business necessity for many professionals who need to wine and dine their clientele, but honestly, if paying a "living wage" were to negatively impact tipping at this particular establishment, the waiters would very disappointed to say the least.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 12:33 PM   #38
Tmac478
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG Skydweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by imperio View Post
Isn't that motivation to better oneself and look for a better paying job..?
Not saying that waiting tables is easy but... To simply say "you need to pay me more because I can't pay my rent" sounds pretty entitled.
I've never waited tables but would guess that those who do, realize that tips are a large portion of their salaries, not an entitlement. That probably motivates them to give great service. I'd also guess that waiters at fine restaurants do quite well although their base pay is low. They're probably not all looking for a better job. I mean, someone has to do these jobs and some are probably happy doing them.
Tmac478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 01:02 PM   #39
Laszlo

Watch: Date & No Date
It's a great question and would definitely shift the culture.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 01:14 PM   #40
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

Someone of you should realize that the IRS has come into town ( Las Vegas) and decided at ( such and such) restaurant the waiters make 45.00 an hour in tips. This is now taxed, even if you don’t make 45.00 an hour they still tax you on that amount and it comes out of your pay check, and you sign an agreement stating so. If you don’t sign the agreement it’s almost a automatic IRS audit every year. You better have a CPA and keep clear records.

Let’s not forget that the waiter tips out bus person, bartender, apprentice waiter etc.. so your 15-20% you don’t tip, well, it could be frustrating if your a great server. I haven’t seen any restaurants here that do automatic gratuity unless it’s 6-8 or more people. You want frustration, go to Miami area where they add a tip to your meal automatically for 2 people and have Horrible service in a lot of restaurants.

I wonder what a fair hourly wage is if your a food server, maid, cocktail server, front desk, bell hop, kitchen workers etc.. The 5 year new CBA was just signed this week and I know for a fact what each classification get per hour. You might be surprised
Old 22 June 2018, 02:06 PM   #41
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post

I don't think things would change a lot at that restaurant because it is to this day an institution and a business necessity for many professionals who need to wine and dine their clientele, but honestly, if paying a "living wage" were to negatively impact tipping at this particular establishment, the waiters would very disappointed to say the least.
I seriously fail to see how much someone makes per hour will have any bearing on how much people tip. I tip 20-25% and I never base it on anything other than I worked in the industry for a while and I like the people.

As someone said, North Americans are conditioned to tip. Any raises someone gets won’t affect that.
Blansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 02:41 PM   #42
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
I seriously fail to see how much someone makes per hour will have any bearing on how much people tip. I tip 20-25% and I never base it on anything other than I worked in the industry for a while and I like the people.

As someone said, North Americans are conditioned to tip. Any raises someone gets won’t affect that.
because if someone is serving me food and drink and is already making $20/hour, they're getting WELL compensated for the level of task they're doing, and I don't need to worry about tipping to ensure they're getting paid the appropriate amount for the service they offer.

This is the exact reason a Bell Captain makes salary and get no tips and a Bell Man doesn't and get tips.
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 03:11 PM   #43
GradyPhilpott

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post

I agree with Tools that tipping practices are not likely to change, but his example is Las Vegas, which is not a very good example of the rest of the country.

What will affect people's willingness to tip is the total price of a meal combined with the knowledge that wait staff is no longer working for "peanuts."

Logic will not be at play here. I'm a generous tipper, but most people are not, unless someone just knocks their socks off with exemplary service.

There are no data to extrapolate from that I know of at this time, but in the more mundane places, where the clientele may not be motivated to tip well, any excuse to not tip or to tip minimally may make life hard for those who make their living that way.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 03:18 PM   #44
imperio
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
I agree with Tools that tipping practices are not likely to change, but his example is Las Vegas, which is not a very good example of the rest of the country.

What will affect people's willingness to tip is the total price of a meal combined with the knowledge that wait staff is no longer working for "peanuts."

Logic will not be at play here. I'm a generous tipper, but most people are not, unless someone just knocks their socks off with exemplary service.

There are no data to extrapolate from that I know of at this time, but in the more mundane places, where the clientele may not be motivated to tip well, any excuse to not tip or to tip minimally may make life hard for those who make their living that way.

Yes, and should that happen, hopefully these people will have the ability to pursue a better paying career path should they want for an easier life.
Old 22 June 2018, 03:29 PM   #45
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
So the restaurant should pay them a higher rate, you pay nothing for their service and the servers themselves make less money at the end of the night? Whaat?
I’ve already paid for their service through the bill......or am I to understand the the bill is for product and I still owe the server for services? They are not my employees, it is not my responsibility to pay their wages. Whether or not their employer pays them a living wage is entirely not my business.

Now, as to why I CHOOSE to tip is my business.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 05:42 PM   #46
Galibier
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorguy View Post
Bad service gets standard tip, others get well above average! But that’s just me!
Why would you tip (reward) bad service? You wouldn't do it any other industry.
Galibier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 05:48 PM   #47
Galibier
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grnvette65 View Post
I typically stay out of these type threads but in my experience the countries where no tip is expected...the service is usually better. I travel to Germany a lot and find the service better than average. In the USA, I find the staff usually expects an 18-20+ tip even if the service is below average ( I’m not even talking about average service). Tipping was a way to thank the server who does an exceptional job, the concept is lost. These statements have nothing to do w being cheap or not. Will be interesting to see how this plays out over time.
They're paid a decent wage in Western Europe and service is normally excellent especially in more rural regions. A couple of Euros left to show appreciation is more than enough. They must love American tourists if they're dropping 20%, or insulted. I've had a waiter in France say a €10 tip was too much for a meal.
Galibier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 06:14 PM   #48
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galibier View Post
They're paid a decent wage in Western Europe and service is normally excellent especially in more rural regions. A couple of Euros left to show appreciation is more than enough. They must love American tourists if they're dropping 20%, or insulted. I've had a waiter in France say a €10 tip was too much for a meal.
After living in Germany for an extended time, I've gotten to where I find American service annoying at times. No, I don't need you to ask me if 'everything is okay' in an over the top, extremely chipper, fake nice attitude every 5 minutes....simply have a neutral personality and attentive to where I can obviously flag you down if I need something. Although, they'd get their tip knocked down by Americans as they're trained to think the former is genuinely 'good'.
Old 22 June 2018, 06:41 PM   #49
Jocke

Watch: A dozen of Rolex's
Give them a fair salary for their jobs that they can live on. I think tipping should be voluntary and not automatically.
Tip is given if they did something extra or good for the customer. It is the employer's duty to ensure that
employees can pay their bills, not customers IMHO.

What is best a custom Rolex or a Rolex that is stuck in custom?

Buy a professional camera and you´re a professional
photographer, buy a flute and you own a flute.
Jocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 08:09 PM   #50
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
I’ve already paid for their service through the bill......or am I to understand the the bill is for product and I still owe the server for services? They are not my employees, it is not my responsibility to pay their wages. Whether or not their employer pays them a living wage is entirely not my business.

Now, as to why I CHOOSE to tip is my business.

Wow..... this is precisely why people in the business do not want this. You do not value their service or profession even a little bit.

Interesting article I found as well.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-28793677

Old 22 June 2018, 08:32 PM   #51
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Wow..... this is precisely why people in the business do not want this. You do not value their service or profession even a little bit.

See, I have an issue with this though and the entire 'service charge' thing is flat out stupid. Paying the server's salary IS the owner's duty. Don't charge me 15% service charge and say it's to pay the servers. Raise your prices accordingly, I'll tip accordingly.
Old 22 June 2018, 09:43 PM   #52
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
See, I have an issue with this though and the entire 'service charge' thing is flat out stupid. Paying the server's salary IS the owner's duty. Don't charge me 15% service charge and say it's to pay the servers. Raise your prices accordingly, I'll tip accordingly.

But that's what will happen here, bet on it. The restaurants aren't just gonna eat that, we agree there. The cost has to be absorbed somewhere, either menu prices or a service charge.

The interesting part of that article to me was how these servers in France still seem to heavily rely on the tips even with these higher wages. The data on who tips was interesting as well.

Old 22 June 2018, 09:47 PM   #53
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
But that's what will happen here, bet on it. The restaurants aren't just gonna eat that, we agree there. The cost has to be absorbed somewhere, either menu prices or a service charge.

The interesting part of that article to me was how these servers in France still seem to heavily rely on the tips even with these higher wages. The data on who tips was interesting as well.

oh yeah, I agree with you. They will try to act like they haven't raised prices, yet, they have.

People will be in for a surprise if they think this won't be the case.
Old 22 June 2018, 09:54 PM   #54
austinp
"TRF" Member

How much money per year is a "living wage" in the US?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
austinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 10:00 PM   #55
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinp View Post

That's gonna change the conversation quite a bit, let's not try to go off the rails here. Next thing we will have a political debate up in here.

Old 22 June 2018, 10:13 PM   #56
BigBlue1

Watch: it pal !
I don’t know how I would react. I guess if your happy with your server why not tip. Remember the Server. The server just takes yourmorder, makes sure you get what you ordered and tries to make your dining experienc as pleasurable as they can. They have no control what happeneds once they put your slip in to the cook. Just because the food sucks doesn’t make it the Servers fault. They can try there best to rectify the situation but ultimately have no control.

The subject of Tips is really an issue that infuriates me. I mean some convince stores you go in have tip jars. Tip jar at every dunking donuts. I mean these people at the stores get minimum wage and they still want tips. I mean gee I’m going to tip you for doing your job of pouring me a coffee and handing me a donut. It’s absolutely ridiculous and I think the business owners need to say something to there employees and abolish it. I wish i got tipped for waking up everyday trying to better myself and going to work. Too Funny

Hypochondria is the only disease I haven't got
RIP Mikey
BigBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 10:14 PM   #57
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:

You’re wrong about me. I do value their service. I just don’t understand why it’s different than any other industry. Do you value your physician’s service or profession? Do you tip him/her?
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 10:16 PM   #58
austinp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That's gonna change the conversation quite a bit, let's not try to go off the rails here. Next thing we will have a political debate up in here.

You're probably right about thar. On a side note. My restaurant days in my early 20s were some of the most fun times in my life! From what i can remember...

austinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 10:49 PM   #59
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinp View Post

That's debatable, but the current federal minimum wage at 50 weeks times 40 hours only amounts to $14,500

That's around the per capita income of Bangkok.

Unless local housing is cheap and mass transit can get the person to work... then I don't see how somebody can live on that.
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 11:17 PM   #60
Rolex addict
Banned

Watch: me crash my bike
For me, I would still tip. However, I typically go to the same places because I'm a creature of habit. I tip very well and the servers know this. Many times, my drink is waiting on me before I even sit down (at the pub).
Rolex addict is offline   Reply With Quote