The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 21 June 2018, 08:38 PM   #1
d4v3
"TRF" Member

Careful if you're buying a 16710LN

I've spoken to RSC today and they won't change the bezel to anything other than black if it started out as a 16710LN.
I should have checked before purchasing.
Old 21 June 2018, 08:45 PM   #2
SubMarine
Banned

Watch: Submariner 16610
Do it yourself, then.
Old 21 June 2018, 08:46 PM   #3
GeorgeK
"TRF" Member

Changing a bezel on a 5 digit GMT is an easy job, and bezels are readily available on the secondary market. I just did exactly that on my 16750LN.
I don't see why one would ask RSC for that.
Old 21 June 2018, 09:06 PM   #4
d4v3
"TRF" Member

Who knows what people consider important, I thought I'd just post a bit of information for people - isn't that what this forum is all about?

While I would be fine with changing the bezel, some people might not be confident to do it themselves.
Some like me might not be aware that Rolex would discriminate between the LN and BLRO.
Some might change their purchase decision if it goes against Rolex's policy.
Some might only allow Rolex to work on their watches.
Old 21 June 2018, 09:14 PM   #5
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4v3 View Post
I've spoken to RSC today and they won't change the bezel to anything other than black if it started out as a 16710LN.
Well that's a new one on me as in Europe and the rest of the world except the USA there was at one time no indication what colour the bezel insert was.And going back quite a few years now bought a insert from St James London then cost £35 fitted it myself and I could have bought all 3 inserts then..

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
Old 21 June 2018, 09:22 PM   #6
MCO1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona C white
I have a Coke that had been made a Pepsi with a Rolex bezel insert when I had it serviced through a non-RSC outfit with a Rolex account. Most watch makers of any ability could change out a bezel insert for you if you are not comfortable with the job.

How many of these on the pre-owned market have had swapped bezels at some point? They are all the same watch. Unlike the BLNR, BLRO, and LN which have different dials and hands as well as different bezels.
Old 21 June 2018, 09:27 PM   #7
d4v3
"TRF" Member

So how does it work with red/black, red/blue as far as I'm aware there's only two designations, LN and BLRO, so where does the black/red fit in here?
Is there another designation for black/red LNRO? If so I've never seen it.
Perhaps the red/black doesn't have the a suffix?
Old 21 June 2018, 09:48 PM   #8
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Well that's a new one on me as in Europe and the rest of the world except the USA there was at one time no indication what colour the bezel insert was.And going back quite a few years now bought a insert from St James London then cost £35 fitted it myself and I could have bought all 3 inserts then..
x2 Try a different AD. ..Or if for some reason you turned up with an empty bezel ring they wouldn't have a clue what colour it was. If for some reason you were to do this twice you could potentially have all three. <This started as LN btw.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Old 21 June 2018, 09:58 PM   #9
sugarl4nd
"TRF" Member

16710A is Coke bezel insert
16710B or 16710BLRO is Pepsi bezel insert
16710LN is All Black bezel insert

Quote:
So how does it work with red/black, red/blue as far as I'm aware there's only two designations, LN and BLRO, so where does the black/red fit in here?
Is there another designation for black/red LNRO? If so I've never seen it.
Perhaps the red/black doesn't have the a suffix?
Old 21 June 2018, 10:02 PM   #10
Onikage
"TRF" Member

This is pretty big news if true. If you bought a Pepsi, you want a Pepsi. Not a coke/black if it started as one.
Old 21 June 2018, 10:08 PM   #11
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
As said by others its just a simple bezel swap away to become a Pepsi, Coke or all black GMT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
Old 22 June 2018, 01:12 AM   #12
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fskywalker View Post
As said by others its just a simple bezel swap away to become a Pepsi, Coke or all black GMT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
If Rolex are making this more difficult to do it's a shame. It's of the best things about the watch. Having the default bezel forced on you come service won't go down too well.
Old 22 June 2018, 02:13 AM   #13
Quicksilver
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing watches
My 16710 is a Pepsi original, but Rolex St James have supplied and fitted a Coke and black bezel when I requested it. The have allowed me to keep the old bezel as well whenever they have changed it.
Old 22 June 2018, 02:36 AM   #14
ancientmariner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Which RSC did you speak to please?
Old 22 June 2018, 03:08 AM   #15
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
I used to own a couple 5 digit GMT's and the ADs back then were telling me the same.. luckily my coke and pepsi were originally just that, but I can see how it would affect a new buyer who bought one with a bezel change... as many members have mentioned, you can do it yourself or bring it to another shop to get done for you. good luck
Old 22 June 2018, 07:18 AM   #16
Beckster
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
Quote:
If true this could be a new ruling. I was at rolex st James just a couple of months ago and they swapped my 16710 bezel insert to the other colors and I got to keep my old one. Just costs more if you want to keep the old insert and they can only do it once, presumably a day. So I had to go again the next day to get the other insert.
Old 22 June 2018, 07:28 AM   #17
Likestheshiny
"TRF" Member

The issue here might be that a black bezel specifically won't be swapped to anything else. Rolex's rule is that you can go "down" but not "up" when it comes to part swaps (as also for dials). If there was a price premium on the Coke or Pepsi bezels back in the day, this could just be an interpretation of that guideline.

But, as folks have noted, it makes no difference in practice. Bezels are casually available and any watchmaker can install one easily if you don't want to do it yourself.
Old 22 June 2018, 08:35 AM   #18
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Rolex has always changed the inserts to whatever was available for your model and so the 16710 has been available with all of them. The 16760 only came in black/red, so that is all they will provide for that model.

If true, this is particular to only that UK RSC or Rolex has adopted a completely different policy than years gone by. Perhaps whoever answers the phone is only talking about the new ceramic models, which they will not change.
Old 22 June 2018, 10:01 PM   #19
d4v3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientmariner View Post
Which RSC did you speak to please?
Rolex London and Kent.
Old 22 June 2018, 10:03 PM   #20
d4v3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckster View Post
If true this could be a new ruling. I was at rolex st James just a couple of months ago and they swapped my 16710 bezel insert to the other colors and I got to keep my old one. Just costs more if you want to keep the old insert and they can only do it once, presumably a day. So I had to go again the next day to get the other insert.
I spoke to them and they specifically said they can swap the bezel on the GMT unless the model is an LN in which case it's black only.
Old 22 June 2018, 11:20 PM   #21
d4v3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onikage View Post
x2 Try a different AD. ..Or if for some reason you turned up with an empty bezel ring they wouldn't have a clue what colour it was. If for some reason you were to do this twice you could potentially have all three. <This started as LN btw.
In theory they could check the serial number to see if it's an LN, whether they would actually do that in the real world who knows.
Old 22 June 2018, 11:32 PM   #22
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
In theory they could check the serial number to see if it's an LN, whether they would actually do that in the real world who knows.
So how do they know you have a so called LN GMT take the insert off yourself say you lost it. Pop into St James tell them it's a pepsi insert job done its very doubtful they would even check a serial for a bezel insert as the only stampings on case is 16710..

ICom Pro3

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Old 22 June 2018, 11:42 PM   #23
airpeace
Banned

why would you expect the RSC change your bezel?
Old 22 June 2018, 11:42 PM   #24
d4v3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So how do they know you have a so called LN GMT take the insert off yourself say you lost it. Pop into St James tell them it's a pepsi insert job done its very doubtful they would even check a serial for a bezel insert as the only stampings on case is 16710..
Really? Is the serial not stamped on the case? I've never taken the bracelet off my sub to check.

Whether it is or isn't I agree it's unlikely they would go to the trouble of taking the bracelet off for an insert change.
Old 22 June 2018, 11:59 PM   #25
PepsiBezel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Neo-Vintage
I was recently looking for a bezel refresh and a black bezel for my (original) 16710BLRO. One AD said they had to check the serial number, record the bezel, and keep my original — so I passed. One overpromised that I could get a black bezel (when I was purchasing a watch), but then walked it back...

I found one AD, where I bought my wife’s DJ, and they swapped my Pepsi for a fresh one and let me keep the original. I have thought about going back for a black bezel, but now think I’ll keep it Pepsi and work on an argument to get a Sub...
Old 23 June 2018, 12:08 AM   #26
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Really? Is the serial not stamped on the case? I've never taken the bracelet off my sub to check.

Whether it is or isn't I agree it's unlikely they would go to the trouble of taking the bracelet off for an insert change.
Yes all Rolex watches have a serial but the model is 16710 no matter the insert.Unless they have changed there was no indication of bezel colour on the paper-work in watches sold in the UK, Europe,Asia and commonwealth.So how do Rolex know your GMT is a LN have they officially checked your serial.Are we talking about a Sub or GMT as you stated you have never taken bracelet of your Sub.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 23 June 2018, 12:22 AM   #27
PepsiBezel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Neo-Vintage
Quote:

In the last month, I went to four ADs looking for a bezel insert, each one took my watch back to their repair section to see if they had a bezel available. Each one took off the bracelet, presumably to check model and serial numbers... I know, because I have a small wrist so I wear the bracelet flipped “backwards,” but each time it was brought back, the bracelet was returned “normal” (with the crown on the clasp pointing up as you look at your wrist).
Old 23 June 2018, 03:04 AM   #28
DJF881
"TRF" Member

Oops. Never mind.

Last edited by DJF881; 23 June 2018 at 03:10 AM.. Reason: never mind
Old 23 June 2018, 03:06 AM   #29
DJF881
"TRF" Member

Never mind.
Old 26 January 2021, 08:04 PM   #30
khalifam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes all Rolex watches have a serial but the model is 16710 no matter the insert.Unless they have changed there was no indication of bezel colour on the paper-work in watches sold in the UK, Europe,Asia and commonwealth.So how do Rolex know your GMT is a LN have they officially checked your serial.Are we talking about a Sub or GMT as you stated you have never taken bracelet of your Sub.
Not correct Padi. Some of the GMT's that were sold (in the UK) state 16710LN, 16710BLRO. I've just called Rolex St James with a serial number of a watch that I am buying and they have confirmed it was sold born as a LN and can only ever have a LN bracelet on it

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk
Closed Thread