The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 17 February 2015, 09:35 PM   #1
xeal
"TRF" Member

Thoughts on this Hublot instead of an AP?

An AP is simply a little bit too expensive for me right now.
To top that, I love even more than the AP how this shares a similar (slightly different and nicer look IMO), much lighter, and a leather strap which I ideally prefer.

I'm really keen on buying this, however just sort of held back by the hate on Hublot.
I don't believe Hublot is a "fashion brand" like some claim. It definitely is a high end brand, but just not one that has been around for too long.

Thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hublot-classic-fusion-automatic-white-dial-black-leather-mens-watch-511nx2610lr-3.jpg (181.1 KB, 1975 views)
File Type: jpg hu176_im.jpg (48.5 KB, 1968 views)
File Type: jpg hu180_im.jpg (76.4 KB, 1962 views)
xeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2015, 09:44 PM   #2
masterkiller
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & PAM...
It is a lovely watch with great finish and Hublot is a great brand, I have owned a blackdialed 42mm version but with clean rubberstrap, also if a am not mistaken that is also a rubberstap but look like croc (wich is even better) think it is called rubbercroc or something.

Make sure to try it on as these classic fusion wear small (as we know AP wears really large) and the Hublot CF 42mm wear like 40mm and is quite thin and in general look 'dressy'...

Some pics of mine...

Omega - Speedy PRO
masterkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2015, 09:53 PM   #3
xeal
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterkiller View Post
It is a lovely watch with great finish and Hublot is a great brand, I have owned a blackdialed 42mm version but with clean rubberstrap, also if a am not mistaken that is also a rubberstap but look like croc (wich is even better) think it is called rubbercroc or something.

Make sure to try it on as these classic fusion wear small (as we know AP wears really large) and the Hublot CF 42mm wear like 40mm and is quite thin and in general look 'dressy'...

Some pics of mine...

Hey! Thanks for the response.
Wow that absolutely looks amazing!
Did you lose a lot of money when selling it? (assume you've sold it because you said you have owned it). - Any reason in specific why you sold it?

I realised that it wears smaller, which actually works for me with my 6.5" wrists.

It is rubber on the inside, and crocodile leather on the outside. Looks amazing.
Old 17 February 2015, 09:55 PM   #4
masterkiller
"TRF" Member

There is also a ceramic version that is beatiful, this was a friends of mines watch...but you step ap quite a bit in price...

Omega - Speedy PRO
Old 17 February 2015, 10:12 PM   #5
masterkiller
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeal View Post
Hey! Thanks for the response.
Wow that absolutely looks amazing!
Did you lose a lot of money when selling it? (assume you've sold it because you said you have owned it). - Any reason in specific why you sold it?

I realised that it wears smaller, which actually works for me with my 6.5" wrists.

It is rubber on the inside, and crocodile leather on the outside. Looks amazing.
The downside with Hublot (or atleast CF range, since most Hublot buyers want the Big Bang) is the second hand value (or upside IF you buy second hand), I bought it brand spanking new from AD with truly great discount (more than 20%) and still faced loosing alot on it, ended up traded it for a T/T SubC with almost no loss at the end...

Seen these loose 40-50% second hand, so my advise is to try to source a used one...

Why I sold it was to free up cash for my AP Diver, but I would not hesitate to buy one again, hublot offers a great product....
Omega - Speedy PRO
Old 17 February 2015, 10:31 PM   #6
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Great pics guys, that is a smart clean Hublot. I would buy preowned or for 30% plus off so when you trade up to the AP in future it wont hurt.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2015, 11:11 PM   #7
xeal
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterkiller View Post
The downside with Hublot (or atleast CF range, since most Hublot buyers want the Big Bang) is the second hand value (or upside IF you buy second hand), I bought it brand spanking new from AD with truly great discount (more than 20%) and still faced loosing alot on it, ended up traded it for a T/T SubC with almost no loss at the end...

Seen these loose 40-50% second hand, so my advise is to try to source a used one...

Why I sold it was to free up cash for my AP Diver, but I would not hesitate to buy one again, hublot offers a great product....
The thing is, I really love and want this white (opaline) dial, and it seems to be impossibe to find it in pre owned.
Getting about a 30% discount from the AD, which will make it about $5200.
On one hand I want to convince myself to buy it brand new because I would never want to flip this beauty, on the other I want to be conservative.
Old 17 February 2015, 11:14 PM   #8
masterkiller
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The thing is, I really love and want this white (opaline) dial, and it seems to be impossibe to find it in pre owned.
Getting about a 30% discount from the AD, which will make it about $5200.
On one hand I want to convince myself to buy it brand new because I would never want to flip this beauty, on the other I want to be conservative.
Hublot ADs will let you switch dial from black to Opaline if you want (for a cost of course) so if you find a bargain on a Blackfaced one you might consider a dialchange...
Omega - Speedy PRO
Old 17 February 2015, 11:33 PM   #9
VICI
"TRF" Member

Watch: IG: Mr_Right_NYC
Your first sentence says it all. If it's a matter of time, wait till you can buy the AP.

Don't settle. The reward will feel much greater.
VICI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2015, 11:39 PM   #10
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VICI View Post
Your first sentence says it all. If it's a matter of time, wait till you can buy the AP.

Very wise...
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2015, 12:16 AM   #11
xeal
"TRF" Member

Quote:

There is literally only one thing I like about AP more than this watch, and that is the brand.
It is and older, much more recognised (in a good way) brand, and has in house movements.
In terms of durability, and aesthetics (atleast for me) I really do prefer the Hublot.
Also a much better fit on my wrists.
Old 18 February 2015, 12:18 AM   #12
s14roller
"TRF" Member

I'd also just wait...get something in the meantime that won't tank in price and will be easy to flip when you are ready. Something like the watch you posted will likely sit if you wanted to sell unless you blow it out price wise.
s14roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2015, 12:28 AM   #13
Snow-Dweller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: collections change
Quote:
Originally Posted by s14roller View Post
I'd also just wait...get something in the meantime that won't tank in price and will be easy to flip when you are ready. Something like the watch you posted will likely sit if you wanted to sell unless you blow it out price wise.
This is good advice. The problem with the Hublot, IMHO, is that eventually you will still want the AP....

16803. 16570. 18038. 114300. BB58. GMW-B5000D.
Snow-Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2015, 01:28 AM   #14
jjnd08
"TRF" Member

Quote:
There is literally only one thing I like about AP more than this watch, and that is the brand.
It is and older, much more recognised (in a good way) brand, and has in house movements.
In terms of durability, and aesthetics (atleast for me) I really do prefer the Hublot.
Also a much better fit on my wrists.
If you like this watch better than the AP, go for it. Don't let the opinions of those on a message board sway you from something that will make you happy every day you put it on the wrist.

If this is just to hold you over, then wait.

But go for it if this what you truly want. As others said though, buy right in case you do flip it at some point.
jjnd08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2015, 03:17 AM   #15
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP
I agree that waiting is in general a good idea, and that buying just to buy something or "settling" isn't good. But if you like the Hublot, if you think the AP just isn't going to happen, and if you buy pre-owned, I think it is very reasonable. Remove Hublot from the equation for a minute and look at it again.

I really really wanted (still do) a Patek Nautilus chronograph which are now $40k pre-owned, but also liked the AP ROC which are now around $13k pre-owned. So while I may have "settled" when I bought an AP when I really wanted a Patek, I've been very happy with the AP. If I find that the time is right for the Patek, I should be able to sell the AP at a reasonable value (I bought at a decent pre-owned price) and use the money towards the Patek.

Good luck!
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2015, 07:02 AM   #16
masterkiller
"TRF" Member

If you have a long time goal to buy a watch for 15k, lets say that it is 2 year away and you have 5k right now, of course you could wait and save for 2 years, but I much rather tie up my cash in a watch and enjoy it while saving up, the in a year, either sell it an buy something for 10k and so on, or buy another 5k watch....until you can get your 15k watch...

If you go this way the best is to my used watches at a good price, and popular models so when you need to flip it you make no or minimal loss...
Omega - Speedy PRO
Old 18 February 2015, 03:11 PM   #17
Hairdude1
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,PP, Rolex
Quote:

16750, 26401, 5711, 116718, 116710LN, 116300, 16710"Coke", 372, 15300, 15703 (All Flipped)
Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member 'WIS-CON' Las Vegas Int'l GTG 2018
Hairdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2015, 10:42 PM   #18
MrJ320
"TRF" Member

Watch: IG: @j.project
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjnd08 View Post
If you like this watch better than the AP, go for it. Don't let the opinions of those on a message board sway you from something that will make you happy every day you put it on the wrist.

If this is just to hold you over, then wait.

But go for it if this what you truly want. As others said though, buy right in case you do flip it at some point.
Agree with the above.
MrJ320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2015, 11:49 PM   #19
Colin W
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJ320 View Post
Agree with the above.

Sound advise - good luck with your choice 😄

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 19 February 2015, 07:06 AM   #20
mspeed76
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, RM
ultimately you are the one wearing the watch. if it makes you happy, who cares what anyone else thinks?

that said, I would not settle for a cheap copy and wait until I can afford the real thing
mspeed76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2015, 10:23 AM   #21
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
Not sure how many threads we need on this topic. Just buy it -- you do not need us to validate your choices.
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2015, 10:49 AM   #22
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
These Hublots are very nice, can't say I agree when you talk about hate for the brand, for me it's a great brand but some models IMO are just "too much" if that makes any sense, like for guys who buy them for others to see that they have money, not the case for the models I see here, but I really like the more discrete models like the ones on pics here, in any case I think all will agree that Hublot is clearly one of the top brands in the watch industry, but I hear that resale on them really sucks, so either buy with a serious discount or pre-loved…

Do you have any other watch from any good brand or will it be the first? If you don't and want a nice watch now I would buy it, if bought right you can always flip it with minimal loss later if you really want an AP, but if you have 1 or more nice watches and feel that you will end up buying an AP, in that case I think it would be better to wait, also if you have 1 or more nice watches maybe you could sell one to make the AP happen faster…

If you really love it don't be held back by any real or supposed hatred of Hublot, who cares what other people think, Hublot is a brand that IMO either you like or not, I like their "simple" models and don't like their more "showoff" ones, in the end you're the one who's going to wear it so follow your heart, not other peoples'
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2015, 11:04 AM   #23
conkers
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
I don't understand the hate for Hublot. I have enjoyed all the ones I have owned. My latest one even with a massive discount will be a resale disaster if I sell it but so what if you love the watch. No one is suggesting buying a Hublot for investment! When I bought my latest one I had a email exchange with CEO and I have never had that with AP PP RM etc.. He even gave me a six year warranty without me asking.

Having said that they do make some ugly watches and I am annoyed with their blatant RM rip off tonneau models.
conkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2015, 12:28 PM   #24
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by conkers View Post
I don't understand the hate for Hublot. I have enjoyed all the ones I have owned. My latest one even with a massive discount will be a resale disaster if I sell it but so what if you love the watch. No one is suggesting buying a Hublot for investment! When I bought my latest one I had a email exchange with CEO and I have never had that with AP PP RM etc.. He even gave me a six year warranty without me asking.

Having said that they do make some ugly watches and I am annoyed with their blatant RM rip off tonneau models.
I don't think many are buying the watch for an email exchange with the CEO...although I agree that type of customer service is non-existent these days.

The hate is derived from the me too styling and use of outsourced movements. IMHO of course!

Saw your avatar RM in person a while back and whoa! Was like seeing art for the first time! I had to stare and take it all in
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2015, 12:37 PM   #25
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by conkers View Post

Yeah the spirit of Big Bang looks an awful lot like a Richard Mille, but the formula works (Big Bangs put them on the map). That being said, I do like my 1926 and would get a 41mm ceramic Big Bang if the price is right (Offshores too big for my wrist)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2015, 01:35 PM   #26
vitalsignsrn
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234 - 14060M
I'm not fond of the Hublot. Something about it is off to me. Bottom line, is not an AP no matter how you dress it up or down or label it, its not an AP. Many have said, wait a bit till you can get the AP & I agree with that logic. Now, if you change your mind & fall in love with the Hublot, different story, but if you dont, wait. :-) After seeing an AP in person, I love them. Beautiful finish & dial. :-)
vitalsignsrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2015, 01:58 PM   #27
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

Can't see myself owning a hublot....
Old 19 February 2015, 04:37 PM   #28
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Watch: MP 18946
Go with what you ultimately will want to keep. Better to save for what you really want then to settle and always wonder as many members have already stated.

The Hublot is a great looking watch but it is not an AP. There is a love/hate thing going on with a nonexistent middle ground.

I think you should save and get what you really want and enjoy it more. Just a thought.
Muzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2015, 11:55 AM   #29
conkers
"TRF" Member

A lot of the Hublot movements are now in house. They are making progress. You would argue their use of fancy materials was ahead of the game when they started too.

If you are only intending to have one decent watch it is not the brand I would choose though it must be said.
Old 20 February 2015, 11:55 AM   #30
conkers
"TRF" Member

Duplicate post sorry.