The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 30 October 2016, 03:26 AM   #1
Chuckwagon
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko,Casio,Rolex
scratch on Rolex glass (maybe) - what to do?

Hello all :) I just joined to ask for some honest advice...

Today I took my Rolex watch to a jeweller shop that buys secondhand watches today as I'm thinking of selling it. I find it quite heavy on my wrist and I prefer to wear lighter watches.

Well, they took it away to the back of the shop to inspect it, I was quite worried as I could not see what was happening to it... Anyway they came back with it and said there was a scratch on the glass.

Actually at first they said there was a scratch on the dial... which scared me as the watch has never been opened since it was bought new (I am the original owner), so I know it can't have a scratch on the dial as it has never been touched inside since it left the Rolex factory... then he clarified it was a scratch on the glass. I am actually quite surprised because I thought sapphire glass is almost scratchproof and I don't own any diamonds that can scratch it.

I can't see a scratch with my eye but admittedly I don't have a special magnifying glass. I did take it to Rolex in London St James Square a few months ago to have the bracelet clasp tightened (it had become loose) and the Rolex technician examined it and did a great job, but he never mentioned about a scratch on the glass.

The watch is 6 years old so it is due its first service anyway... will the cost of the service include a replacement glass or it is an extra cost?

The jeweller said it would cost £200, and because of the scratch on the glass, he wasn't interested to buy it. I said if I took it to Rolex in London to have it fully serviced, would it be worth more and they said no. Anyway I was in two minds about selling it in the first place but I've decided that I'd rather keep it if it's not worth all that much.

Anyway the result is that I'm quite upset to find out whether there is in fact a scratch, and will it be best to take it to Rolex St James? I can go to London next week.

Thanks in advance for any friendly honest advice
Chuckwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2016, 03:43 AM   #2
kromdom
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckwagon View Post
Anyway the result is that I'm quite upset to find out whether there is in fact a scratch, and will it be best to take it to Rolex St James? I can go to London next week.

Thanks in advance for any friendly honest advice
YES, do that and ask them for options/costs. Best of luck.
kromdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2016, 03:55 AM   #3
Chuckwagon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kromdom View Post
YES, do that and ask them for options/costs. Best of luck.
Thanks... I will do that and let you know what Rolex say. If they recommend a service will it include a new glass (assuming there is a microscopic scratch)? I am under the impression a service includes all necessary replacement parts?

Thanks again
Old 30 October 2016, 03:57 AM   #4
Chuckwagon
"TRF" Member

Just to say I don't wear the watch that much now since I got a newer watch, and it has normal scratches on the case and bracelet as expected from normal wear, but a scratch on the glass bothers me... if that makes any sense.
Old 30 October 2016, 04:01 AM   #5
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
A scratch on the crystal, especially if you can't see it, isn't anything to overly worry about.

A service does not include the cost of a new crystal.
Old 30 October 2016, 06:09 AM   #6
Chuckwagon
"TRF" Member

Ok I can see the scratch under a bright light, it's in an arc. I've no idea how it happened. Quite disappointed as I thought sapphire is supposed to be virtually scratchproof :(

I'm going to take it to Rolex St James for a full service.

If they replace the glass, will it be the same, as the original glass has a near-invisible etched Rolex crown symbol?

Thanks.

P.S. I don't suppose it can be polished out?

P.P.S. I've just given the glass a good rub with Duraglit polish wadding and I'm struggling to see any scratch. How very odd. I can't decide if there is a scratch.
Old 30 October 2016, 07:06 AM   #7
Chuckwagon
"TRF" Member

Ok I've had a really close look under bright light at an angle, including smearing a fine film of the metal polish over the glass which should highlight any surface irregularity. And I can't see the scratch anymore. I think it must have been some sort of mark!

I'm still going to go to Rolex St James London for a verdict, and hand it in for service at the same time.

I was a little surprised the jeweller didn't make me an offer because of the scratch. Also I think he might have thought my watch was fake or stolen, as I was very anxious when he disappeared round the back with it and I had no idea what was happening. Anyway they rejected it due to the scratch being costly to fix. Maybe God was telling me to keep it
Old 30 October 2016, 07:27 AM   #8
Watchgeek5000
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Many things can scratch the crystal besides a diamond. But sounds like it worked out for you. Hopefully the guy who took it into the back didn't swap out anything off of your watch and replace with aftermarket.
Watchgeek5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2016, 08:34 AM   #9
Chuckwagon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchgeek5000 View Post
Many things can scratch the crystal besides a diamond. But sounds like it worked out for you. Hopefully the guy who took it into the back didn't swap out anything off of your watch and replace with aftermarket.
I know that people always say you should never let your watch be taken out of your sight as you have no idea what is happening to it . I was worried they were going to open it up to verify that's it's genuine, not least as it could compromise the water resistant rating. So after a few minutes had passed, I got a bit panicky and made a bit of a fuss, and they brought the watch back to say it had a scratch on the dial, before saying it was the glass. I am pretty sure it's not been opened as the back is scratched from the bracelet in a stripey pattern so I know the case back is oriented as it was originally. I think they are a reputable established business, but I was a bit worried.

Anyway I've looked again, and I can't see any scratch now. Maybe the arc that I saw earlier was either a mark, or a reflection of the edge? I find the flat Rolex glass is very reflective, compared to my other watch which had a curved glass.

I'll take it to Rolex in London for a definite verdict. I believe they list everything that needs replacing after they examine a watch for a service quote?
Old 30 October 2016, 08:55 AM   #10
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
A scratch on the crystal, especially if you can't see it, isn't anything to overly worry about.

A service does not include the cost of a new crystal.
Agree if you can't see it, I wouldn't worry about it. And you don't need to service it either unless it has an issue after only 6 years. 10 years is now recommended.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2016, 06:33 PM   #11
Chuckwagon
"TRF" Member

Just took a picture of it... I really cannot see a scratch even on close inspection.. Can anyone see anything that I am missing? Wouldn't a scratch on sapphire glass be fairly obvious when the surface is evenly reflected against the light like this? Sorry to be a bit paranoid but I am quite confused as there is no reason for the jeweller to say there is if there isn't, and he advised it would cost £200 to replace the glass 😳

Old 31 October 2016, 07:02 AM   #12
rollee1
"TRF" Member

Watch: it watching me
Enjoy your watch, don't worry about a tiny speck (if any) on the crystal.
As others here suggested, there is no urgent need for service if the watch runs COSC, and under 10 years new.

I'd be more concern about the jeweller dispearing at the back with it, reminds me scenes from doggy movies.
Old 31 October 2016, 05:36 PM   #13
Chuckwagon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollee1 View Post
Enjoy your watch, don't worry about a tiny speck (if any) on the crystal.
As others here suggested, there is no urgent need for service if the watch runs COSC, and under 10 years new.

I'd be more concern about the jeweller dispearing at the back with it, reminds me scenes from doggy movies.
Thank you. I took it to an AD yesterday to inquire re service cost nowadays - £505 Seems to have been a price rise as i'm sure it was £400-something last year. Anyway they couldn't see a scratch on the glass or the dial either.

Yes it was quite disconcerting that they disappeared round the back with it for several minutes, without explanation. I also showed the warranty card with my name on it as evidence that I am the original owner and he whisked it off me. I got the impression maybe they thought it was stolen or something. It was such a relief when he came back eventually with the watch and the card, but alarming to be told there was a scratch which I'm pretty sure I would have noticed before.

I didn't know why or what they were doing out of sight with it. They could easily examine it externally with a loupe in front of me.

Anyway I've decided to keep it now. It'll be interesting what the verdict is when I take it to Rolex in London St James Square. If they say there is no scratch on the glass/dial then I might not proceed with a service unless they recommend it.
Old 4 November 2016, 09:49 AM   #14
Chuckwagon
"TRF" Member

UPDATE: there is no scratch on the glass!

UPDATE:

Ok I took it to Rolex St James London, they were really nice and the initial assessment is that there is NO scratch on the glass 🙂

As documented - only scratches and marks on the case and bracelet, as expected from normal wear, also they said the crown and bezel is marked which I've never noticed, but as you can see they have not listed any scratch on the glass.

I'm mighty relieved. The lesson I've learned is that high street secondhand watch dealers are not always to be trusted. I'm not sure why they would deliberately lie about a scratch on the glass? Or maybe they were implying it was a fake and that the glass is scratched because they think it's mineral glass. Or maybe they genuinely mistook a surface mark for a scratch 🤔

The other thing to mention is that Rolex said the standard cost of service for this model of watch is £470. This means the AD surcharges an extra £35 for handling as they quoted me £505. I would recommend taking it to Rolex directly, also they treat you very nice. Anyway they said it will be like new when I get it back and it will come with a fresh 2 year warranty although I doubt I'll need it as I never did for the original warranty when I bought it new 🙂
Old 4 November 2016, 10:23 PM   #15
Chuckwagon
"TRF" Member

Oh I also looked at the nice Rolex catalogs on display in the waiting lounge, they said that the price list inside has changed but not been updated yet. I really like the look of the Cellini line up as I do prefer dressier watches.

They also said it might not be ready until after Christmas, which means a turnaround of 2 months or more 😳. When it comes back from the Rolex service, I'll probably put away the submariner back in its box and store it in the cupboard as I don't intend to wear it much, as I do find it quite heavy on the wrist, and I've decided there's no point selling it as I was told by the secondhand dealer it was not worth much and it wasn't of interest to them. I'm happy to keep it. I'm quite tempted to get a Cellini with the date subdial as a next watch.

The Rolex clerk at the counter was very nice and complimented me on the watch I was wearing although she thought it looked like a Tag ☺️
Old 5 November 2016, 09:10 AM   #16
Byrdguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub C LV,
Maybe both times they took it in back to remove the bracelet to check the numbers. I had a real scratch on a 16610 once and after a while it didn't bother me, but at service time I had a new crystal installed. Have no idea how I scratched it either. I'm careful with my watches and try not to bang them up, but it happens.
Byrdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2016, 10:03 AM   #17
batterseaboys
"TRF" Member

Where did you take it.......
batterseaboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2016, 10:08 AM   #18
Chuckwagon
"TRF" Member

UPDATE:

Rolex have given me their final assessment... the rap sheet reads:

Case scratched, Caseback scratched, Case lugs scratched, Bracelet scratched, Clasp scratched, Monobloc knocked, Bezel marked

Necessary: Full service, new Crown (additional cost)
Recommended but optional: new Hands (additional cost)

but no scratch on the glass, thankfully, confirming that I was lied to by the pawnbroker jeweller/watch dealer. 😡

btw what is meant by "Monobloc knocked"?? 🤔

I couldn't see there was anything wrong with the winding crown but Rolex advises a new one is a 'necessary'. ?!? 😳

Also, should I have the hands changed? will they be the identical as the original? or will new hands or the glow be different? 🤔

Thanks 🙂
Old 5 November 2016, 10:10 AM   #19
Chuckwagon
"TRF" Member

Oh, the optional advisory of new Hands will cost additional £77.83

The additional cost of the Crown (necessary / compulsory) is £43.24 !!
Old 5 November 2016, 10:24 AM   #20
Chuckwagon
"TRF" Member

Oh, the rap sheet also says Hands marked, so that's why they have advised replacement but optional.

I can see from my photo that there seems to be a mark on the minute hand.

I've emailed Rolex to ask why that would happen? As I know for a fact the watch has never been opened or touched inside since purchased new from the AD 6 years ago. I have sent Rolex pictures of my original sales invoice and the warranty card matching details with my name as proof. I also had shown it to them yesterday and they were very nice and believed me and did not doubt my bona fides at all.
Old 5 November 2016, 10:30 AM   #21
Chuckwagon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by batterseaboys View Post
Where did you take it.......
I took it yesterday to Rolex St James Square London, near Piccadilly Circus. I no longer trust high street jewellers.
Old 5 November 2016, 10:44 AM   #22
Chuckwagon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdguy View Post
Maybe both times they took it in back to remove the bracelet to check the numbers. I had a real scratch on a 16610 once and after a while it didn't bother me, but at service time I had a new crystal installed. Have no idea how I scratched it either. I'm careful with my watches and try not to bang them up, but it happens.
The interesting thing about my watch is that the serial number is engraved twice - between the lugs at one end AND also on the inside ring around the dial. So you don't need to remove the bracelet to check the number, but it's there too anyway.

I believe nowadays they no longer engrave it between the lugs. I wonder for how many years did they double-engrave the serial numbers? It's quite although I'm sure it's not that special. Or maybe it is, I don't know!
Old 5 November 2016, 10:46 AM   #23
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Is the watch keeping bad time, outside Cosc? If not then don't have anything done as there is no scratch.
Old 5 November 2016, 10:52 AM   #24
Chuckwagon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Is the watch keeping bad time, outside Cosc? If not then don't have anything done as there is no scratch.
I never timed it but it was running fast. It would gain a minute after a few days. I'm going to proceed with the service, and then probably put it away in its box in the back of a cupboard.
Old 5 November 2016, 10:56 AM   #25
Chuckwagon
"TRF" Member

Oh, and the nice thing too is that Rolex will provide a complimentary valuation letter for insurance purposes, with the service, in addition to a fresh 2 year warranty. High street jewellers will charge ££s for that.
Old 5 November 2016, 11:29 AM   #26
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I never timed it but it was running fast. It would gain a minute after a few days. I'm going to proceed with the service, and then probably put it away in its box in the back of a cupboard.
If you are going to service it, you have to wear it, those are the forums's rules... and Rolex will check.
Old 5 November 2016, 12:10 PM   #27
ragingcao
"TRF" Member

Watch: cha talking about?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Quote:
Wait. There's no scratch and the watch is running within COSC but you're going to full service it anyway and put it away in the back of a cupboard afterwards??
ragingcao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2016, 01:23 PM   #28
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingcao View Post
Wait. There's no scratch and the watch is running within COSC but you're going to full service it anyway and put it away in the back of a cupboard afterwards??
^This^
No SUBctitute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2016, 05:09 PM   #29
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Let me wrap my melon around this - You're looking to sell a preowned watch, a jeweller has told you the crystal is scratched - It isn't aaand you're haemorrhaging £££ £s? Just to check??
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2016, 05:59 PM   #30
Chuckwagon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onikage View Post
Let me wrap my melon around this - You're looking to sell a preowned watch, a jeweller has told you the crystal is scratched - It isn't aaand you're haemorrhaging £££ £s? Just to check??
- It's not a pre-owned watch. I am the original owner from new.
- I was thinking of selling as I don't wear it much now since I got a new watch. I tend to prefer dress watches on leather. The Rolex submariner is very heavy, I find. However, I am equally happy to keep it.
- the pawnbroker/secondhand jewellery watch dealer said it wouldn't be worth much anyway because of the supposed scratch, and they were not interested in buying it and handed it straight back to me. When I said I could take it to Rolex to have it fully refurbished and would it then be of value, they said "No it doesn't work like that".
- a scratch on the glass would really bother me. I had to know and have it replaced. As it turned out, they lied (whether in good faith or deliberately). Which is actually a relief.
- I'm not haemorrhaging £££s. It's 6 years old and due for its first service anyway. I said that to the desk reception at Rolex St James Square London who agreed and said its actually 5 years interval for my watch. I believe it's only the newer models that are 10 years.