The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 May 2018, 01:41 AM   #61
chad362wiley
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces Full View Post
I have a chance to buy a White Dial Sky-Dweller (pre owned). My first choice was Blue Dial. Does anyone who bought a White Dial regret their color choice, and wish they'd waited for Blue?
Go blue. Get the one you’re 100p set on
Old 21 May 2018, 03:58 AM   #62
Tampashooter
"TRF" Member

A) Its a VERY comfortable watch in SS. Highly contoured. Wonderful

B) You REALLY need to see white in person before you dismiss it. I had my choice, and it was a no brainer. Far more legible, and such a unique shade of White/Silver.

Tampashooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 04:15 AM   #63
TeddyS
"TRF" Member

Watch: sea-dweller 126600
For me the SD43 wears a touch bigger, I have a relatively large wrist at 8.5-8.75 inches, for me the skyD is getting to the minimum of what I feel looks right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TeddyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 04:22 AM   #64
Inq50
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces Full View Post
I have a chance to buy a White Dial Sky-Dweller (pre owned). My first choice was Blue Dial. Does anyone who bought a White Dial regret their color choice, and wish they'd waited for Blue?
Got White.. no regrets. Ordered without prior in person viewing and agree with other commenters, White dial has to be seen in person to really appreciate it. In pics it comes across monotonous and flat white whereas in person it’s mix
Of white, pearl white and silver depending on the lighting.
Inq50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 04:34 AM   #65
jhunter3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680 Submariner
I was worried about it being too big for my 6.75 in wrist, but really feels and looks fine in person in my opinion. Also, I tend to wear my watches a bit higher up my arm, so maybe that makes a difference.
I have a 44mm TAG Calibre 16 that does feel big, but it's thicker, too.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
jhunter3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 04:42 AM   #66
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteo E View Post
Looks like a DJII to me with a busy dial.
Good to know that all fluted dial Rolexes look the same; thanks for that insight!!!

Mine worked great on my recent trip to the west coast and back. I also love the Annual Calendar.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 04:43 AM   #67
jhunter3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680 Submariner
Sorry I just read the rest if the thread. I initially wanted black, but changed my mind--most of my other watches were black dials at the time.

I waited a few months after I started talking seriously to my AD...a boutique dealer in a regional chain jewelry store. They had acquired a black dial Daytona in October 2016, about 3 months after Basel.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
jhunter3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 06:16 AM   #68
cc75
"TRF" Member

Watch: Skydweller
It’s an incredible story but i haven’t wait. A friend of mine went into his AD. The blue Skydweller was displayed by mistake. Had a small talk with the AD owner, put trough me and the deal was done. The scene happened the 30th of December and got the watch the 4th of January.
cc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2019, 06:57 AM   #69
Filtrum-
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust
Same dilemma

Same issue here, I love the watch! Went to AD today and they had one I could try on my 6.5" wrist, I have other 42 mm watches that work but they are 11-12 mm thick. The Sky dweller is 14! Which makes it wear very big, need help to decide as well. Worth mentioning is that the link was not adjusted to my wrist.

Does it wear too big?
IMG_20190927_112953.jpg
IMG_20190927_112950.jpg
Filtrum- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2019, 07:06 AM   #70
nationalrobert
Banned

No definitely does not wear to big on you.
It is only slightly bigger than what you are used to but that watch has so .much more going on.
Get that beutifull piece and enjoy the stuff out of it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
nationalrobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2019, 07:13 AM   #71
hongkongrr
"TRF" Member

I have one and have the same size wrist as you. It isn't too big for me and overtime you will appreciate the weight and size more. Good luck in your decision.
hongkongrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2019, 07:26 AM   #72
Quailhunter
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex President
The SkyDweller looked ridiculous on my 7” wrist. It is a very big watch.
Quailhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2019, 07:39 AM   #73
cc75
"TRF" Member

Watch: Skydweller
I have a 6,3“ wrist and my blue Skydweller fits parfectly.
Sorry i don’t know how to insert a picture from my IPhone.
cc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2019, 06:58 AM   #74
Filtrum-
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust
[QUOTE=HogwldFLTR;8598375]Good to know that all fluted dial Rolexes look the same; thanks for that insight!!!

Mine worked great on my recent trip to the west coast and back. I also love the Annual Calendar.

What size is your wrist mate?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
Filtrum- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2019, 04:52 AM   #75
petrosdeca
"TRF" Member

why is the blue so much more expensive? I am in the market for a Sky Dweller and love both blue and black...black goes for 16.5-17.5k and blue 21k+! should i pull the trigger on the black or is the blue that much better?
petrosdeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2019, 05:00 AM   #76
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

for me at 6.75 and my wrist shape it looks like a hockey puck on my wrist. it just doesn't do it me.

on some people it looks great. for me not so much.
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2019, 06:07 AM   #77
Rodrigo082
"TRF" Member

It’s a big watch and the bezel doesn’t help as well.
Great functionality but shame too big and shiny...
Rodrigo082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2019, 06:40 AM   #78
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

I have/had all of them! The one that I kept is the blue one and the one that I like the most is the white and regret getting rid of!

Sky dweller is an amazing watch in any color. I waited the loooooongest for the blue one (over 18 months) my wrist is 7.6” and love the 42mm but not sure about how it would look on wrists under 7”

Old 30 September 2019, 07:42 AM   #79
Tavi
"TRF" Member

This watch gets almost all the wrist time - fantastic looking piece, love traveling with it!

Tavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2019, 08:49 AM   #80
Brny11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipes View Post
Hi all,

I’ve always been intrigued by the Sky Dweller and I really like the look of the SS models. I contacted my AD today and he put an order in for the blue dial. He can’t give me an ETA. Members who have received a SS Sky Dweller, can you tell me how long you waited? My wrist is pretty small at about 6.5 in. and I would appreciate opinions of this piece on smaller wrists. Thanks!

Watch looked really cool, but I hated the idea of it due to size. Saw one in person at a local shop (non AD). Honestly, it is now my favorite Rolex made. It wears just fine on my 7 inch wrist. It is superb in nearly every way.
Brny11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2019, 07:48 PM   #81
Mikebt
"TRF" Member

Black all day
Mikebt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2019, 07:52 PM   #82
akilis
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116695SATS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipes View Post
Hi all,

I’ve always been intrigued by the Sky Dweller and I really like the look of the SS models. I contacted my AD today and he put an order in for the blue dial. He can’t give me an ETA. Members who have received a SS Sky Dweller, can you tell me how long you waited? My wrist is pretty small at about 6.5 in. and I would appreciate opinions of this piece on smaller wrists. Thanks!
it is quite heavy. I have try on in the store. It feels almost like SD43
akilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2019, 08:29 PM   #83
gunhose
Banned

Watch: what's on my wrist
Its Hugh 43 by 13 thick for a non diver! Members complain about the DS. Annual calendar is a gimmick is it that bad to unscrew a crown a few times a year to change a date you normally have to to anyways to re adjust the time. Better off to get a GMT wears and looks better on any size wrist.
gunhose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2019, 10:04 PM   #84
Merkaholic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust 41, Datej
It all comes down to the benchmark you have set with your first watch. Eg if you wear a 36mm and go for the skydweller then its going to feel like a lump of steel on the wrist. I had one a few months ago and I have similar size wrist to yours, i went from a DJ41 and the only gripe I had was I would have preferred a "half" link in order for it to sit centrally on the wrist.

The second issue is, what others think? On that front let them think what they want because the watch is on your wrist and not theirs!!!

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
Merkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2019, 07:50 AM   #85
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunhose View Post
Its Hugh 43 by 13 thick for a non diver! Members complain about the DS. Annual calendar is a gimmick is it that bad to unscrew a crown a few times a year to change a date you normally have to to anyways to re adjust the time. Better off to get a GMT wears and looks better on any size wrist.
There's some serious merit in this rationale.

However, if one is looking for a more upmarket looking Rolex, then a GMT is not going to cut it.
Remember the Skydweller originally came out exclusively in PM with strap options and Romans on the dial.
I think it was originally always intended for a very different target market.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2019, 08:10 AM   #86
hongkongrr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
There's some serious merit in this rationale.

However, if one is looking for a more upmarket looking Rolex, then a GMT is not going to cut it.
Remember the Skydweller originally came out exclusively in PM with strap options and Romans on the dial.
I think it was originally always intended for a very different target market.
I agree with you.

It is for a different albeit more sophisticated market. It has a much more luxurious look to it while still remaining sporty from the Oyster Bracelet.

Also common, we all know complications like annual calendars are a gimmick but isn't the GMT hand on your BLRO? We can all check our phones for world times if we wanted to.

I think the appeal from this watch comes from the awesome complication (the highest in Rolex atm) and the styling while having a distinctive Rolex signature look.

I think 10 years from now we will be wishing we owned a piece of this history.

Lastly I think it represents a great deal. With white and black ss skydweller trading at near BLRO and BLNR prices I think the skydweller is a much better deal.

My 2 cents.
hongkongrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2019, 12:31 PM   #87
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by hongkongrr View Post
I agree with you.

It is for a different albeit more sophisticated market. It has a much more luxurious look to it while still remaining sporty from the Oyster Bracelet.

Also common, we all know complications like annual calendars are a gimmick but isn't the GMT hand on your BLRO? We can all check our phones for world times if we wanted to.

I think the appeal from this watch comes from the awesome complication (the highest in Rolex atm) and the styling while having a distinctive Rolex signature look.

I think 10 years from now we will be wishing we owned a piece of this history.

Lastly I think it represents a great deal. With white and black ss skydweller trading at near BLRO and BLNR prices I think the skydweller is a much better deal.

My 2 cents.
I totally agree.
I'm on the fence about the blue which is my first choice with the white being my second but I think it will wear just a little too big on my wrist.
The blue is at my limit for a watch with a fluted bezel and PCL's and Cyclops. The engineering is certainly something to be admired

Alternately if I were to go for something more blingy than the norm I might be tempted to go for a DJ 41(126331) with a Sundust dial with stick markers, fluted bezel on a Jubilee. It would be awesome in it's own right.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2019, 02:47 AM   #88
Monarch1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona Cosmograph
Always been a fan of the white face look myself
Monarch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2019, 02:55 AM   #89
Jona
Banned

Watch: 116618LN
I had the SS White, which I liked but thru some trading I ended up with a TT Black which I also like. I have a DJ 41 Blue so I didn't want to wait an eternity for the SkyD Blue. I would have taken a TT White but it was a toss up. My wrist is 7.5 and I have no issue with this size nor the DSSD nor 47mm Panerai.

Jona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2019, 04:59 AM   #90
klenboy
"TRF" Member

If I were a one watch guy this would be the one I’d stick with. It wears really well. Love the complication while still maintaining easy adjustability and robustness. Unique presentation of the dial. Significant presence on the wrist!
klenboy is offline   Reply With Quote