The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 12 April 2018, 11:05 AM   #31
BrazenC5
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1665,1675,1680,SD4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carry The Interest View Post

I understand your frustration. Just recently I walked into a random AD in So Cal
We're in the same area, which AD was it?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 12 April 2018, 11:06 AM   #32
RolexNorth
Banned

Watch: YM2SS,SD43,HULK
I understand how you feel. AD's play games. I had my own experiences last month, but managed to find one who sold me what I wanted.

If an AD expects me to sink money into another expensive watch in order to snag the watch I want, I'd just buy the watch I want on the secondary market at the inflated price.

My personal opinion is, even though you over pay on the Daytona now, in the long run, you'll come out ahead. If you're paying $20K now, I'd assume within the next 10 years, that watch will go up to $25-30K.
Old 12 April 2018, 11:06 AM   #33
ac_eddings
"TRF" Member

I have always found it easier to establish relationships with AD's in smaller metropolitan areas. Best of luck to you.
Old 12 April 2018, 11:06 AM   #34
Jmbarrack
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ever changing!
I mean, is anyone surprised based on this exchange they gray market is killing it? You can find a BLNR on the gray market pretty easily and in some cases for not that big of a markup. Hell, I'd buy a watch from a trusted seller on these forums any day over an brick and mortar store ... Especially one with rude experiences.

To me, your time is worth more than a few hundred dollar premium to get the watch you want.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk
Old 12 April 2018, 11:07 AM   #35
WJGESQ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbia04 View Post
Hello everyone,

I’m new to the forum and Rolexes in general.

I have always wanted to start a real collection of these luxury watches and both my wife and I have been very fortunate to receive huge promotions recently which now allow this to become reality.

For my first Rolex I really want a BLNR and also concurrently want to get my wife a new Diamond Tag Heuer Carrera. (I know!! BUT she has her heart set on this model when she saw it.) I also want to get her, her first Rolex for our anniversary. I want to be put on the list for a 43 mm sea dweller for myself and a Daytona C for my father as a thank you for all he has done for me in my earlier years to help me get where I am today.

Anyways, armed with vast knowledge from TRF as I have been lurking the last year or so yesterday I set out to go try and make deal(s) happen at all of my close dealers to see stock and overall friendliness and try to develop a relationship but quickly realized that this is going to be a lot harder than I thought.

No AD had any SS whatsoever and only saw one YM2 and one white gold blue sub after going to 7 dealers!! Md Va area.

All but one wouldn’t even talk to me about getting on a list for BLNR & Daytona c. All said strong relationship or 5+ year wait for both. One even said “ oh well, sorry for your bad luck.”

Crazy but annoying moment: One dealer did have the harder to find Tag I wanted in stock and after mentioning I wanted a BLNR he went to the back and brought out one for me to see. I asked him if it was spoken for he said no but I couldn’t buy it without a solid relationship with the AD. I was thinking - Why even show it to me then?! I told him If they had all of them in stock I would buy all four watches at the same time. Not to mention he already knows I will be looking very soon for a Rolex for my wife for our anniversary. He was baffled when I didn’t want the TAG Heuer, then offered it with 0%. I said money wasn’t the issue at all, I want a dealer that is going to take care of me when I would like something if at all possible. Needless to say but I didnt even buy the Tag. (Side note: Like I would pay retail for a TAG by itself, lol).

How do I develop a relationship if they won’t even sell me stuff they have in stock? I’m talking over 40k in watches. Just insane to me. Is this scenario the new norm?

I’m not going to mention any dealers in particular but overall I’m very frustrated at what happened at pretty much all of them. Most were very rude acting like I was in the wrong part of town even tho I was polite dressed nicely and had 25 grand in cash on me to make a deal that day.

Makes me not even want a Rolex.

<rant over>

Try Omega.

Plenty of awesomeness.

Without the drama.
Old 12 April 2018, 11:11 AM   #36
SPMN
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamLovesWatches View Post
I wonder if these ADs go home and brag about how they can treat you guys like garbage and you'll still come crawling back tomorrow. For dudes who probably couldn't afford the watches they sell, man, that must be some high!
This kind of treatment from an AD sucks, but I think you should examine your attitude as well. I'm sure you're frustrated - heck, I'm frustrated trying to buy my first Rolex too, but that's the game right now. Your money, on those SS pieces, means nothing to them. They can sell those watches without even trying, so you do them no good buying their hot models.

I'm confused by the diamond covered Tag though. You'd think they would discount that watch fairly aggressively. My guess is that something in your attitude rubbed the salesperson the wrong way and he chose to not offer a discount to you. A polite way of saying, "please leave my store." A former salesperson from an AD had a "ask me anything" type thread a week ago or so. He said commission rates for a lot of the salespeople may be as low as 1%. I wouldn't put up with someone giving me attitude for a 1% commission.
Old 12 April 2018, 11:16 AM   #37
ForSure5120
"TRF" Member

OP - I definitely hear where you are coming from. No - I haven’t walked in with 25k, but the resounding signal from ADs in my area is that they literally laugh in your face when you try to inquire about a stainless steel sport watch....that cannot be a solid way to build good will with new customers and enthusiasts. I’m not ready to walk away from Rolex all together. While I realize scarcity and exclusivity fuel demand for certain luxury goods - the absolute present inability to purchase the product from a retailer is frustrating; and borders on insulting when you consider the high retail prices to begin with.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12 April 2018, 11:19 AM   #38
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

This is a common misconception among some newbies shopping at Rolex AD's in affluent areas.

That your money is as green as everyone else's...

Here is the scenario the dealer calculates...

Neal the Newbie comes in the store and wants a Tag and a BLNR. He has never purchased anything before and may never again. The AD has a relatively scarce BLNR in the safe. Should he sell it to him?

Imagine if he does....then an hour later, William the Whale calls and says he wants a BLNR for his butler's nephew.

William the Whale has spent over $1M with the dealer and has PM watches on deck along with custom jewelry pieces...

Now the dealer must tell William the Whale...NO, I don't have a SS BLNR for you...This could cost the AD that customer and all the future purchases...

This is not a scenario that dealer wants to live through....so you don't get the BLNR because you are not William the Whale.

Dealer showed you the BLNR to notify you as to what would happen IF you were a VIP. Offering to buy up hawt references does not make you a VIP. Sorry.

So, you need to find another dealer who doesn't clientele as strongly as the one who turned you down.
Old 12 April 2018, 11:24 AM   #39
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
No, this is something I’ve been wanting to do for a long time. I don’t want to blow 20 grand + on a PM I don’t exactly want - or buy my dad an Air King or something he deserves the best I can get for him as he’s always provided me the best he could in every situation. I didn’t buy the TAG because of what he did to me on the BLNR by dangling it front of me but not let me buy it when I said I would buy both immediately. The BLNR was released 5 years ago its not that big of a deal. There are tons out there. An AD can believe me or not but not taking on a new customer like myself could easily lose them out on a ton of money down the line as I would consider other models down the road for both myself and my wife as well.
As you are posting here I accept you are probably not a flipper, but you will look like one to an AD, esp when they are assuming everyone is now and you have to prove to them that you are not, which you clearly did not do as I pointed out.

ADs can sell the sports models the second they get them so your money is no good unless you are buying lots of TTs and PMs, but what they do care about is keeping the franchise with Rolex and thus not selling to flippers.

If you really want Rolexes then go grey, but there are plenty of other brands out there, and AP and VC are higher Haute brands too.
Old 12 April 2018, 11:24 AM   #40
HONDABBQ
"TRF" Member

You have been lurking for a year or so and you didn't read about the current Rolex economy this past 6 months?
Old 12 April 2018, 11:29 AM   #41
Ticknaway
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Don’t give up just beware of the situation right now and find an AD YOU can work with, everybody in the world(hyperbole) is looking for those two watch’s, perhaps go into an AD and just ask questions at first don’t offer to buy at first strike up a conversation about what is the in thing right now leave and come back a few times then offer to buy. That’s what I did. Of course money is important but you gotta work the angles!
Old 12 April 2018, 11:31 AM   #42
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
This is a common misconception among some newbies shopping at Rolex AD's in affluent areas.

Neal the Newbie comes in the store and wants a Tag and a BLNR. He has never purchased anything before and may never again. The AD has a relatively scarce BLNR in the safe. Should he sell it to him?

Imagine if he does....then an hour later, William the Whale calls and says he wants a BLNR for his butler's nephew.

William the Whale has spent over $1M with the dealer and has PM watches on deck along with custom jewelry pieces...

Now the dealer must tell William the Whale...NO, I don't have a SS BLNR for you...This could cost the AD that customer and all the future purchases...

This is not a scenario that dealer wants to live through....so you don't get the BLNR because you are not William the Whale.

Dealer showed you the BLNR to notify you as to what would happen IF you were a VIP. Offering to buy up hawt references does not make you a VIP. Sorry.

So, you need to find another dealer who doesn't clientele as strongly as the one who turned you down.
Why couldn't I be the whale?
Old 12 April 2018, 11:31 AM   #43
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
No, this is something I’ve been wanting to do for a long time. I don’t want to blow 20 grand + on a PM I don’t exactly want - or buy my dad an Air King or something he deserves the best I can get for him as he’s always provided me the best he could in every situation. I didn’t buy the TAG because of what he did to me on the BLNR by dangling it front of me but not let me buy it when I said I would buy both immediately. The BLNR was released 5 years ago its not that big of a deal. There are tons out there. An AD can believe me or not but not taking on a new customer like myself could easily lose them out on a ton of money down the line as I would consider other models down the road for both myself and my wife as well.
Then consider scrapping the AD route and deal with one of the sellers here on the forum. Many of these guys will go above and beyond what any AD can do for you.
Old 12 April 2018, 11:44 AM   #44
jstan9
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamLovesWatches View Post
Apparently so.

Honestly, never in a million years would I think I would have to BEG salespeople to let me buy something worth tens of thousands LMAO. But if the people in this forum are any indication, a ton of people are willing (nay, ANXIOUS) to play the game. I wonder if these ADs go home and brag about how they can treat you guys like garbage and you'll still come crawling back tomorrow. For dudes who probably couldn't afford the watches they sell, man, that must be some high!

I'm so glad I never fell into the trap to begin with. I'm pretty sure everything I buy from now on will be with a gray dealer.

I feel for you guys. If you’re ever in San Francisco, go to Shreve & Co. on Post street near union square. I walked in last June (I’d bought my first Rolex in New York in 2000!) and spied a blnr In the case.

I noodled, made the decision, and went back two weeks later. That blnr was gone, of course, but they’d gotten one in the day before. They brought it out and I bought it.

Every time I walk in to ogle the rolexes they couldn’t be nicer. I did buy my next (rhodium ym) from DavidSW because I didn’t have the cash for new and because DavidSW is...DavidSW. Unparalleled.

Point is not ADs are bad. Though that does seem to be the exception these days, unfortunately.

Old 12 April 2018, 11:50 AM   #45
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstan9 View Post
I feel for you guys. If you’re ever in San Francisco, go to Shreve & Co. on Post street near union square. I walked in last June (I’d bought my first Rolex in New York in 2000!) and spied a blnr In the case.

I noodled, made the decision, and went back two weeks later. That blnr was gone, of course, but they’d gotten one in the day before. They brought it out and I bought it.

Every time I walk in to ogle the rolexes they couldn’t be nicer. I did buy my next (rhodium ym) from DavidSW because I didn’t have the cash for new and because DavidSW is...DavidSW. Unparalleled.

Point is not ADs are bad. Though that does seem to be the exception these days, unfortunately.

Probably has to do with being an "old line" dealer, and not a huge chain. Being in Union Square, in one of the biggest money metro areas in the country, chances are they have no trouble moving TT/PM models, as opposed to the jeweler in a mall in Wichita.
Old 12 April 2018, 11:53 AM   #46
Columbia04
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDABBQ View Post
You have been lurking for a year or so and you didn't read about the current Rolex economy this past 6 months?
I have kept up with the mess it has become, yes. Just to be clear, I wasn’t actually expecting a BLNR to be in the store. All I really wanted was to be put on a list to get one somewhat soon and sort of feel our dealers to see which I wanted to potentially do my business with for a long term relationship. The fact he actually went In the back to go out of his way to show me one new in the box and said better yet it wasn’t spoken for but I couldn’t have it really rubbed me the wrong way even tho I was going to buy another piece at the same time. As a new rolex buyer someone has to give you a chance at some point, at least IMO. I guess I picked one hell of a time to enter the market.
Old 12 April 2018, 11:58 AM   #47
JLM3
"TRF" Member

Watch: blusylvx2blnrsmpbb
Fleetlord for the win!!!
Old 12 April 2018, 11:59 AM   #48
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
I have kept up with the mess it has become, yes. Just to be clear, I wasn’t actually expecting a BLNR to be in the store. All I really wanted was to be put on a list to get one somewhat soon and sort of feel our dealers to see which I wanted to potentially do my business with for a long term relationship. The fact he actually went In the back to go out of his way to show me one new in the box and said better yet it wasn’t spoken for but I couldn’t have it really rubbed me the wrong way even tho I was going to buy another piece at the same time. As a new rolex buyer someone has to give you a chance at some point, at least IMO. I guess I picked one hell of a time to enter the market.
Pay 2 Play my friend. Reach out to a seller here as I suggested. Or, contact every AD in the NOVA, MD, DC area, but you probably won't be happy with the results.
Old 12 April 2018, 12:01 PM   #49
Masteryacht
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16622,BLNR,116500
With Rolex cutting back on production, it just makes it that much harder. In the past 2 years I was able to get a Daytona C and BLNR from my AD, with the BLNR just sitting in the display case.
Now, they have nothing in stock except DJs and Milgauss. Recently they said my Daytona was the last one they’ve gotten and I’ve had it for nearly a year. It sucks!
Old 12 April 2018, 12:04 PM   #50
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Agree; simply obnoxious. This guy sounds like a real prick, and I would definitely be in touch with the store owner and perhaps BBB.

As I said only mildly tongue-in-cheek, I would also take any opportunity to suggest I'd been discriminated against. That accusation scares the shit out of anyone these days.
Old 12 April 2018, 12:05 PM   #51
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Hello everyone,

I’m new to the forum and Rolexes in general.

I have always wanted to start a real collection of these luxury watches and both my wife and I have been very fortunate to receive huge promotions recently which now allow this to become reality.

For my first Rolex I really want a BLNR and also concurrently want to get my wife a new Diamond Tag Heuer Carrera. (I know!! BUT she has her heart set on this model when she saw it.) I also want to get her, her first Rolex for our anniversary. I want to be put on the list for a 43 mm sea dweller for myself and a Daytona C for my father as a thank you for all he has done for me in my earlier years to help me get where I am today.

Anyways, armed with vast knowledge from TRF as I have been lurking the last year or so yesterday I set out to go try and make deal(s) happen at all of my close dealers to see stock and overall friendliness and try to develop a relationship but quickly realized that this is going to be a lot harder than I thought.

No AD had any SS whatsoever and only saw one YM2 and one white gold blue sub after going to 7 dealers!! Md Va area.

All but one wouldn’t even talk to me about getting on a list for BLNR & Daytona c. All said strong relationship or 5+ year wait for both. One even said “ oh well, sorry for your bad luck.”

Crazy but annoying moment: One dealer did have the harder to find Tag I wanted in stock and after mentioning I wanted a BLNR he went to the back and brought out one for me to see. I asked him if it was spoken for he said no but I couldn’t buy it without a solid relationship with the AD. I was thinking - Why even show it to me then?! I told him If they had all of them in stock I would buy all four watches at the same time. Not to mention he already knows I will be looking very soon for a Rolex for my wife for our anniversary. He was baffled when I didn’t want the TAG Heuer, then offered it with 0%. I said money wasn’t the issue at all, I want a dealer that is going to take care of me when I would like something if at all possible. Needless to say but I didnt even buy the Tag. (Side note: Like I would pay retail for a TAG by itself, lol).

How do I develop a relationship if they won’t even sell me stuff they have in stock? I’m talking over 40k in watches. Just insane to me. Is this scenario the new norm?

I’m not going to mention any dealers in particular but overall I’m very frustrated at what happened at pretty much all of them. Most were very rude acting like I was in the wrong part of town even tho I was polite dressed nicely and had 25 grand in cash on me to make a deal that day.

Makes me not even want a Rolex.

<rant over>
First welcome to the forum. Second, it's OK to buy something else. Third, that means more for the rest of us.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
Old 12 April 2018, 12:06 PM   #52
Rrpdc
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak797 View Post
you look like a flipper. You have 25k in cash for 40k of watches and guess what? Yup, you are choosing three popular watches that will be worth up to 50k tomorrow. That's why they don't deal with newbies any more, can't trust them.

If you want to really build a relationship with an ad buy some unpopular models, like the tag, which you declined, thus cementing their belief of you. Otherwise it's the grey market.
+2
Old 12 April 2018, 12:10 PM   #53
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
Quote:

How do I develop a relationship if they won’t even sell me stuff they have in stock? <rant over>

You buy a diamond TAG at MSRP.

Or keep looking for a good AD. I would find the smaller family owned places if you can and try them. The issue is the smaller AD’s rarely get the Daytona/SS SkyD etc.

My AD is 3 hours away and I drive past 6 to get to them. Relationship is really good though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 12 April 2018, 12:10 PM   #54
acfcheung
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4K for now
Congrats on the promotions.

By saying you will buy all 4 watches at the same time (3 of them being very sought after pieces) wouldn't help with the situation.

What they wanna hear is I will take 3 full gold watches plus a daytonaC, sad but true.

Sent from my VKY-L29 using Tapatalk
Old 12 April 2018, 12:13 PM   #55
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

This is why those that won’t play games run to forum trusted sellers. Build a relationship with them.
Old 12 April 2018, 12:57 PM   #56
JohnnyRol
"TRF" Member

Definitely call or visit around. It took me 12 ADs to get my SD43 and I had no relationship. Good luck and Santayana the course I say
Old 12 April 2018, 01:09 PM   #57
dkg1616
"TRF" Member

Made my relationship with my AD by just chatting, not even committing to a watch. Called me up and said he has both a YM2 and SubC date with my name on it to try out. Walked out with the SubC.

It’s more about being friendly than acting like you will throw money. Most people who walk into ADs have some sort of wealth
Old 12 April 2018, 01:45 PM   #58
Carry The Interest
"TRF" Member

Watch: RLX, ALS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazenC5 View Post
We're in the same area, which AD was it?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Sent you a PM. Did not feel right about calling out the name publicly here.
Old 12 April 2018, 01:52 PM   #59
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey View Post
Simply...you do not choose the AD...the AD chooses the customer.
That actually is very true!! I never thought of it this way!
Old 12 April 2018, 02:07 PM   #60
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post

What the hell happens if free willy who spent a million buys the blnr and then a blue whale who spent 5 million calls asking for a blnr the day after?

That’s a nonsensical scenario that will never end. There is always a bigger fish. Yes, I know whales aren’t fish.

The guy who spends tons isn’t going to leave an AD because the AD didn’t have a hard to find watch waiting for him at all times.

That’s not how it works.