The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 12 April 2018, 02:09 PM   #61
Bt122
Banned

Watch: Ok...Watching
Don’t give up, go into the store occasionally and strike up a relationship. I literally go into stores just to try on watches so I know how they look like on my wrisr. Chat with the sales people to learn about the history of watches and the brands.
Old 12 April 2018, 02:33 PM   #62
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

You got into Rolex late, Rolex has cut their SS sport production significantly that your chance of scoring a SS Daytona without a relationship with an AD is very small. It's kind of weird but your money don't matter at Rolex AD and as someone here said AD chooses you and what to sell you.
Old 12 April 2018, 02:44 PM   #63
MinMay
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey View Post
Simply...you do not choose the AD...the AD chooses the customer.
+1

AD doesn't care about adding more customers. They already have thousands of customer fans for life. Those thousands will keep them in business. Until Rolex starts producing more, AD will always have a huge wait list.

If you want VIP, i think you need to be famous or drive one of your 10 Ferarri :)

40K is nothing to them. And there are a lot of folks in this world 40K is their monthly expenses :)

Don't take it personal...I'm sure all of us get treated the same when we walk into a different Rolex stores.
Old 12 April 2018, 02:45 PM   #64
Nocomment
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
You look like a flipper. You have 25K in cash for 40K of watches and guess what? Yup, you are choosing three popular watches that will be worth up to 50K tomorrow. That's why they don't deal with newbies any more, can't trust them.

If you want to really build a relationship with an AD buy some unpopular models, like the Tag, which you declined, thus cementing their belief of you. Otherwise it's the grey market.
couldnt agree more.
Old 12 April 2018, 02:47 PM   #65
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
You look like a flipper. You have 25K in cash for 40K of watches and guess what? Yup, you are choosing three popular watches that will be worth up to 50K tomorrow. That's why they don't deal with newbies any more, can't trust them.

If you want to really build a relationship with an AD buy some unpopular models, like the Tag, which you declined, thus cementing their belief of you. Otherwise it's the grey market.
i thought the same thing..."new to Rolex" but picked all the hot models.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 12 April 2018, 02:55 PM   #66
Roger Lococco
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126719BLRO Pepsi
I visited the ADs in Tysons 1 and Tysons 2 last week (i.e. Northern Virginia area). I thought both were really cool. Had nice conversations with both and received candid answers to my questions about watch availability from both.
Old 12 April 2018, 03:00 PM   #67
MinMay
Banned

That's it...

I need borrow two beautiful models wearing Patek and diamonds neckless to come with me and see if I can get a Daytona C right there on the spot :)
Old 12 April 2018, 03:14 PM   #68
Vicious49
"TRF" Member

Guess I shouldn't mention I walked in to the Rolex AD 6 months ago and saw a BLNR on display and passed on it. 2 months later I saw a no date Sub and purchased it. Saw a Sea Dweller recently and passed on that too. Guess I've been lucky and haven't experienced this 'shortage' outside of the Daytona.

Not that it matters since I have almost no desire for the current line of Rolex. I like the 5 digit serials so much better.
Old 12 April 2018, 03:31 PM   #69
KingLouie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sky-Dweller
I contacted one AD in my country about he SS Blue Sky-Dweller. They replied the waiting line for this model is 2-3 years. This AD is located in the capital city Helsinki.

After that i contacted another one that is 100km from Helsinki and their reply was:
"the standard time for rolex watches is 4-6 weeks, but with this model you might need to wait a bit longer. Do you want us to make an order?"

I replied yes please. After one week they called me and said the watch is here. I drove there and bought the watch. Now I'm a happy owner of the Sky-dweller. They said that someone had ordered the watch and when it came he didn't want it anymore and they offered it to me. This was the first time ever contacted these ADs so no realitionships.

I guess it's a different game in the USA than in Finland where we have only three ADs in the whole country, and a lot less buying customers I guess.
Old 12 April 2018, 03:33 PM   #70
Hogtown Fatty
"TRF" Member

I learned pretty quickly that this type of thread serves no purpose around here as the barrage of people who feel they've earned the right to desirable ss watches after years of spending at an AD will be quick to defend the current state of affairs. "want a popular ss? spend $100k, it's what I did"- that's nice for you, but not everyone can do that. A lot of people wanting one of the popular ss models can only afford one watch and want that as their lifer (or until they're older and can swing more). I know I'm on the Rolex forum here, but I seriously didn't expect as snobby and snarky an attitude as I've encountered from some members on here gloating about these unwritten/unspoken ways of the Rolex world and how they're reaping all the benefits. Blows my mind that money is no longer enough in 2018. They (the AD's) don't want your $10k. I'm not spending $100k on jewellery I don't need and watches I don't want just to earn the 'privilege' to buy a $10k ss watch- some of you guys seriously need to reevaluate how ridiculous this practice is and how silly you look taking part in it. Sure, you get your ss watch of the year sooner than anyone else, but at what expense? Well above retail if you factor it all in. Of course I'm bitter over my inability to purchase certain models- as are a lot of people-, but at the end of the day I'm of a stable enough mind to know when to give up. It's not like I'm the only one in this position... AD's OP visited have missed out on $40k (+ whatever thousands future releases would see him buying) in sales... and while most of their popular ss watches (save for that Batman) are no doubt spoken for, both they and Rolex will feel the ramifications of all this declined business at some point in the future. They have succeeded in making the watch buying experience absolutely miserable.
Old 12 April 2018, 04:00 PM   #71
topfuel25
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogtown Fatty View Post
I learned pretty quickly that this type of thread serves no purpose around here as the barrage of people who feel they've earned the right to desirable ss watches after years of spending at an AD will be quick to defend the current state of affairs. "want a popular ss? spend $100k, it's what I did"- that's nice for you, but not everyone can do that. A lot of people wanting one of the popular ss models can only afford one watch and want that as their lifer (or until they're older and can swing more). I know I'm on the Rolex forum here, but I seriously didn't expect as snobby and snarky an attitude as I've encountered from some members on here gloating about these unwritten/unspoken ways of the Rolex world and how they're reaping all the benefits. Blows my mind that money is no longer enough in 2018. They (the AD's) don't want your $10k. I'm not spending $100k on jewellery I don't need and watches I don't want just to earn the 'privilege' to buy a $10k ss watch- some of you guys seriously need to reevaluate how ridiculous this practice is and how silly you look taking part in it. Sure, you get your ss watch of the year sooner than anyone else, but at what expense? Well above retail if you factor it all in. Of course I'm bitter over my inability to purchase certain models- as are a lot of people-, but at the end of the day I'm of a stable enough mind to know when to give up. It's not like I'm the only one in this position... AD's OP visited have missed out on $40k (+ whatever thousands future releases would see him buying) in sales... and while most of their popular ss watches (save for that Batman) are no doubt spoken for, both they and Rolex will feel the ramifications of all this declined business at some point in the future. They have succeeded in making the watch buying experience absolutely miserable.

Before the elites come in and tell you about their relationship and how their AD takes care of them all these years over and over again (they get proud abt this), OP can just get the models he wants from TS or grey instead of throwing 100k to “join the club” or earn the privilege

Sure you think they look silly but they are enjoying this game and probably think those newbies who want the popular models are looking silly themselves by walking into an AD wanting to buy popular models off the shelves
Old 12 April 2018, 04:02 PM   #72
Rolex.c6
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 116600
As they say, go grey!
Old 12 April 2018, 04:05 PM   #73
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post
What the hell happens if free willy who spent a million buys the blnr and then a blue whale who spent 5 million calls asking for a blnr the day after?

That’s a nonsensical scenario that will never end. There is always a bigger fish. Yes, I know whales aren’t fish.

The guy who spends tons isn’t going to leave an AD because the AD didn’t have a hard to find watch waiting for him at all times.

That’s not how it works.
Want to bet?

Why are dealers keeping SS watches in the safe for the VIP clients? Just because?

The dealers know who to sell their allocated watches to. It certainly wasn't the OP in this case.

Why didn't the OP leave with the BLNR? I would like to hear your explanation.
Old 12 April 2018, 04:11 PM   #74
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post
What the hell happens if free willy who spent a million buys the blnr and then a blue whale who spent 5 million calls asking for a blnr the day after?

That’s a nonsensical scenario that will never end. There is always a bigger fish. Yes, I know whales aren’t fish.

The guy who spends tons isn’t going to leave an AD because the AD didn’t have a hard to find watch waiting for him at all times.

That’s not how it works.
every AD has their own judgement on what constitutes a VIP but i can tell you with 100% certainty that my AD has daytonas, and every hot model from most brands in their safe most of the time. No waitlists and they are offered to clients who are great customers and who have expressed interest.

They keep them so they can reward loyalty and you know what... it works. I will never buy from another AD

AD's are constantly sizing up clients on future potential as well as past history. They look at these watches as hooks to keep the clients they want to keep.

They will sell these watches regardless, but strategically selling them to targeted individuals gives them a much greater long tern return.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 12 April 2018, 04:15 PM   #75
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
Your experience is simply as the Americans say,' par for the course'.

Or as we Euros say, 'the Dufour treatment'.
The current supply thing has nothing to do with the CEO, it is a response to the weak sales in the entire industry the past few years. Rolex is covering their own ass and creates demand while doing it.

As for Mr Dufour, I met him a while ago and he seems like a kind gentlemen with the best intentions for the brand.
Old 12 April 2018, 04:15 PM   #76
Hogtown Fatty
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfuel25 View Post
Before the elites come in and tell you about their relationship and how their AD takes care of them all these years over and over again (they get proud abt this), OP can just get the models he wants from TS or grey instead of throwing 100k to “join the club” or earn the privilege

Sure you think they look silly but they are enjoying this game and probably think those newbies who want the popular models are looking silly themselves by walking into an AD wanting to buy popular models off the shelves
The only reason someone could find a newbie walking in to an AD with cash for a popular model silly is because they've fallen victim to the hype, spending fortunes to "build relationships" and fervently want to defend the deeply unfair unspoken model which got the best of them. I fail to see what's silly about going in and wanting to buy a popular model. The AD's have made it completely unfair to the vast majority of people, making it literally impossible for a lot of us to get any popular reference within the references lifetime. Is that not insane? This whole practice makes people who take part in it look like dogs... "rewarding loyalty"? Please- they couldn't care less and only mock you when spewing such drivel. Daytona = doggy treat for grown men.
Old 12 April 2018, 04:20 PM   #77
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogtown Fatty View Post
The only reason someone could find a newbie walking in to an AD with cash for a popular model silly is because they've fallen victim to the hype, spending fortunes to "build relationships" and fervently want to defend the deeply unfair unspoken model which got the best of them. I fail to see what's silly about going in and wanting to buy a popular model. The AD's have made it completely unfair to the vast majority of people, making it literally impossible for a lot of us to get any popular reference within the references lifetime. Is that not insane? This whole practice makes people who take part in it look like dogs... "rewarding loyalty"? Please- they couldn't care less and only mock you when spewing such drivel.
do you run a business? If you owned a lemonade stand and you had 10 cups of lemonade to sell per day, would you sell them to the neighborhood kids who can only buy one cup of lemonade per week or to the kids who buy one cup of lemonade every day? If you sell to the first group you have to find 6 days worth of new clients to replace the lost profit of refusing the first and selling to the second group .

Its business. Its smart to hold the inventory and direct who you sell it to when there is a finite supply.
Old 12 April 2018, 04:24 PM   #78
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
do you run a business? If you owned a lemonade stand and you had 10 cups of lemonade to sell per day, would you sell them to the neighborhood kids who can only buy one cup of lemonade per week or to the kids who buy one cup of lemonade every day? If you sell to the first group you have to find 6 new clients to replace the lost profit of refusing the first and selling to the second group .

Its business. Its smart to hold the inventory and direct who you sell it to when there is a finite supply.
I applaud your efforts at explaining these concepts to the naysayers that are coming onto this thread, but part of me thinks they are just being contrary for the sake of being contrary...

This is how it works guys. Sorry that reality is not what you think it is when it comes to acquiring select Rolex references.
Old 12 April 2018, 04:38 PM   #79
jagwap
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC IW389001
This current shortage should be temporary. However the attitude of this AD, and the others that are similar is the most unfortunate aspect of this shortage.

Rolex have screwed up a little with this shortage, and some ADs have screwed up a lot with their attitude. Vote with your wallet and buy something else. Go buy an IWC. They are more exclusive, but easier to get hold of.
Old 12 April 2018, 04:40 PM   #80
Canook
"TRF" Member

Watch: too many to list
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamLovesWatches View Post
Apparently so.

Honestly, never in a million years would I think I would have to BEG salespeople to let me buy something worth tens of thousands LMAO. But if the people in this forum are any indication, a ton of people are willing (nay, ANXIOUS) to play the game. I wonder if these ADs go home and brag about how they can treat you guys like garbage and you'll still come crawling back tomorrow. For dudes who probably couldn't afford the watches they sell, man, that must be some high!

I'm so glad I never fell into the trap to begin with. I'm pretty sure everything I buy from now on will be with a gray dealer.
this! customer service is nonexistent at most AD's and i find the arrogant attitude appalling.

After experiencing this first hand ill give my money to a gray dealer that will show respect and customer service towards me and my hard earned cash.... and actually treat me like a customer
-16610LV KERMIT
-116600 SD4000....16612 Yachtmaster- 16710 PEPSI
-216570(polar)
-
-Yachtmaster II 116688 126300 Datejust 41 jubilee

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
Old 12 April 2018, 04:43 PM   #81
Carry The Interest
"TRF" Member

Watch: RLX, ALS
Quote:
every AD has their own judgement on what constitutes a VIP but i can tell you with 100% certainty that my AD has daytonas, and every hot model from most brands in their safe most of the time. No waitlists and they are offered to clients who are great customers and who have expressed interest.

They keep them so they can reward loyalty and you know what... it works. I will never buy from another AD

AD's are constantly sizing up clients on future potential as well as past history. They look at these watches as hooks to keep the clients they want to keep.

They will sell these watches regardless, but strategically selling them to targeted individuals gives them a much greater long tern return.
Quote:
do you run a business? If you owned a lemonade stand and you had 10 cups of lemonade to sell per day, would you sell them to the neighborhood kids who can only buy one cup of lemonade per week or to the kids who buy one cup of lemonade every day? If you sell to the first group you have to find 6 days worth of new clients to replace the lost profit of refusing the first and selling to the second group .

Most logical, insightful posts I've read all week.
Old 12 April 2018, 04:44 PM   #82
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canook View Post
this! customer service is nonexistent at most AD's and i find the arrogant attitude appalling.

After experiencing this first hand ill give my money to a gray dealer that will show respect and customer service towards me and my hard earned cash.... and actually treat me like a customer
i don't disagree with this. I agree with the principle of what AD's are doing as almost everyone would do the same with their own businesses however most of the time they are very rude about it. They could still do what they are doing, but doing it nicely would go a long way. In general AD's are pretty rude so its why its important to find a good one.
Old 12 April 2018, 04:49 PM   #83
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carry The Interest View Post
Most logical, insightful posts I've read all week.
Old 12 April 2018, 04:53 PM   #84
Canook
"TRF" Member

Quote:

yes but no
99% of the population dont buy a new rolex every month so to be one of these "VIP"'s is a hard call for the average Joe that has saved all his bonuses and spare change to buy his dream watch.....
I understand customer loyalty but im sorry arent AD's retailers and representatives of the brand? Somewhere you go to purchase the product that you have saved to buy?
Not a place to go to be shown the product and be told its not sold or being held but you cant buy it because you arent rich enough to buy one a month?

sorry but this business ethic doesnt sit right with me and i think its beyond arrogant!

So yes its a business model that works for the AD's but is crude and unfair to the average punter who want to purchase a product that is supposed to be available from "said" retailer.

Gray dealers win my vote/money now and Rolex can thank themselves for that by allowing the dealers to carry on with arrogant attitude that i wont be buying from their authorised outlets
-16610LV KERMIT
-216570(polar)
-

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
Old 12 April 2018, 04:58 PM   #85
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
yes but no
99% of the population dont buy a new rolex every month so to be one of these "VIP"'s is a hard call for the average Joe that has saved all his bonuses and spare change to buy his dream watch.....
I understand customer loyalty but im sorry arent AD's retailers and representatives of the brand? Somewhere you go to purchase the product that you have saved to buy?
Not a place to go to be shown the product and be told its not sold or being held but you cant buy it because you arent rich enough to buy one a month?

sorry but this business ethic doesnt sit right with me and i think its beyond arrogant!

So yes its a business model that works for the AD's but is crude and unfair to the average punter who want to purchase a product that is supposed to be available from "said" retailer.

Gray dealers win my vote/money now and Rolex can thank themselves for that by allowing the dealers to carry on with arrogant attitude that i wont be buying from their authorised outlets
im sure there are similar discussions on frequent flyer forums... people pay more to fly an airline that they already have status with a lot of the time, and no longer "shop around" so its the same thing with good AD customers. People like getting "upgrades", lounge access, perks, etc. Its really the airline frequent flyer model applied to watches.

People always get mad when someone pays for coach and gets rewarded to first class because of their loyalty. Look at any airport boarding area and the upgrades get dirty looks from the passed over.
Old 12 April 2018, 05:12 PM   #86
Canook
"TRF" Member

Quote:
im sure there are similar discussions on frequent flyer forums... people pay more to fly an airline that they already have status with a lot of the time, and no longer "shop around" so its the same thing with good AD customers. People like getting "upgrades", lounge access, perks, etc. Its really the airline frequent flyer model applied to watches.

People always get mad when someone pays for coach and gets rewarded to first class because of their loyalty. Look at any airport boarding area and the upgrades get dirty looks from the passed over.
i think more the point is for the OP's situation.... he had cash to buy multiple watches on the spot.... dealer shows him the watches and explains they are not sold, not spoken for but he cant buy them.......... im sorry but in retail that is unacceptable
If the dealer had no intentions of selling it to him then why wind him up? arrogance in my book..... id be offended if that was done to me.

Its almost as if he said " look what i have... your money is not good enough for us so you can look but cant have"

nope sorry doesnt sit well with me
-16610LV KERMIT
-216570(polar)
-

Old 12 April 2018, 05:16 PM   #87
harvey
"TRF" Member

...what people have to acknowledge is the game has changed. the rules have changed...no longer is customer king for some ADs
Old 12 April 2018, 05:17 PM   #88
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
i think more the point is for the OP's situation.... he had cash to buy multiple watches on the spot.... dealer shows him the watches and explains they are not sold, not spoken for but he cant buy them.......... im sorry but in retail that is unacceptable
If the dealer had no intentions of selling it to him then why wind him up? arrogance in my book..... id be offended if that was done to me.

Its almost as if he said " look what i have... your money is not good enough for us so you can look but cant have"

nope sorry doesnt sit well with me
i agree poor form. Depending on context it could be explainable. Ive tried on watches numerous times that were spoken for or otherwise unavailable. In my case it was so i could actually see it in real life and to see if it would be something i would want to buy. Since they dont have permanent display pieces sometimes this happens. So its about how it was presented.

If you have AD privileges as a valued client you already know, the AD does not need to advertise the fact to people who are not. No one should buy more watches then they want just to become a preferred client, but if it happens organically then you know you will have an easier time getting pieces in the future.
Old 12 April 2018, 05:27 PM   #89
Canook
"TRF" Member

Quote:
i agree poor form. Depending on context it could be explainable. Ive tried on watches numerous times that were spoken for or otherwise unavailable. In my case it was so i could actually see it in real life and to see if it would be something i would want to buy. Since they dont have permanent display pieces sometimes this happens. So its about how it was presented.

If you have AD privileges as a valued client you already know, the AD does not need to advertise the fact to people who are not. No one should buy more watches then they want just to become a preferred client, but if it happens organically then you know you will have an easier time getting pieces in the future.
If its spoken for then fine they have a commitment to someone to honor... ive looked at watches that were sold in AD's so i can get a feel and a handle... but in the case of the OP

Quote:
Crazy but annoying moment: One dealer did have the harder to find Tag I wanted in stock and after mentioning I wanted a BLNR he went to the back and brought out one for me to see. I asked him if it was spoken for he said no but I couldn’t buy it without a solid relationship with the AD. I was thinking - Why even show it to me then?! I told him If they had all of them in stock I would buy all four watches at the same time. Not to mention he already knows I will be looking very soon for a Rolex for my wife for our anniversary. He was baffled when I didn’t want the TAG Heuer, then offered it with 0%. I said money wasn’t the issue at all, I want a dealer that is going to take care of me when I would like something if at all possible. Needless to say but I didnt even buy the Tag. (Side note: Like I would pay retail for a TAG by itself, lol).
this is poor form and from what ive read on the forums over the last while isnt uncommon.....

this is more to what my point is in regards to my replies .... this and when a dealer has got one and is prepared to sell it to you but above retail again i find poor form

I went into a AD about 8 months ago and he had a ceramic daytona instock.... not spoken for or reserved... i asked how much and he said they are open to offers above retail and the highest one that the boss excepts gets it.......... needless to say no offer from me
-16610LV KERMIT
-216570(polar)
-

Old 12 April 2018, 05:55 PM   #90
Rahir
"TRF" Member

I've only bought one Rolex (with my own money) but I have three Rolex watches in total because my dad gave me the other two as gifts. I can tell you that buying from AD can be hard a lot of times because they can be picky to whom they sell if they have a shortage.

Maybe he wanted to show you the watch so you could see how it looks in person which I'd have no problem with in the first place or maybe he perceived you as arrogant and did not like you.

What others here have said is totally true, they keep watches in stock for those in the VIP list and they do not sell them to the general public. By the end of last year I went with my cousin to buy her Rolex in Millenia Mall and guess who was there? Lebron James... The very nice lady who took care of us said they have extra stock for VIP clients (then she looked at him smiling) so we knew what she meant... needless to say that I took a pic with him ha ha

believe it or not ADs aren't impressed with 40k... it sounds crazy but it's reality.

Dont give up and keep trying! my first experience in Carter was not the best but I went the next day and it was a looooot better. Don't give up and just wait
Closed Thread