The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 1 May 2018, 02:11 AM   #1
KateB
"TRF" Member

Watch: AK14000 & GMT16710
Silly questions for the Vintage Collectors

Hello TRF,

Advanced apologies for the silly questions.... I finally drummed up enough courage to ask...

1) How did you start your vintage collecting journey and how do you support it? The cost seems very prohibitive... and the collections I have seen are jaw dropping.

2) Did you buy a at-that-time current model and wait for it to become a vintage?

3) Where else can I go look/touch a real vintage? I have only seen vintage Rolex only a handful of times in person. I tried to go to watch shop but it feels like I was intruding.

4) Are vintage collectors more reserved (sorry if this offends anyone) in terms of talking about their watch(es) outside of the forum? People seems quite uncomfortable when I compliment on their vintage. (1680 & 1675 x2)

About me:
I found that lately I have been spending more and more time reading on this forum. I am obsess to the point that I have dreams about vintage Rolex at night and images of vintage GMT and Subs are constantly on my mind. I read something about MilSub yesterday and then I would spend entire day searching for information about it. I think my childhood dream to be a historian plays a major factor in my obsession with Vintage watches.

Vintage Rolex fascinates me. I am not saying this just because I am on a Rolex forum. I have been collecting notes from TRF and everywhere (I amon my 4th binder now) for a few years and organizing the information hoping one day it can be useful for me when I buy the first vintage Rolex for myself. I have been saving towards a vintage but regretfully, I have not achieved any major accomplishment in life to justify the reward yet. However, deep down I have this very fear that I will be forever priced out if I wait any longer. With the ever rising price, I am not sure if I can even afford a bezel insert when I decide to buy..

Kate
KateB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2018, 04:30 AM   #2
vintagewatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sport 4digit ref#
Hi Kate,
I started collecting Rolex watches seriously in the 1980s. Prices back then were far less (scaled for inflation) then today. I had a job that required extensive travel, so I had many opportunities to look for watches all over the U.S. .
I mostly bought Rolex sport models that were 10--20 years old (late 1960s to early 1980s). These watches were relatively inexpensive and plentiful when purchased (numerous 1680, 1665, 1675, for $400 to $900 each).
Paul Duggan out your way (Boston) should have vintage watches to view. I used to buy/sell with him many years ago.
I often enjoy talking about vintage watches with people I see, especially at work. I used to work at an art gallery and watch shop in Vail, CO, so many affluent clients wore high end vintage watches and were happy to have discussions about them.

In a lot of ways I just had good timing when I started collecting, I could not remotely afford to buy most of the watches I have at current market prices.
Good Luck in building your collection!

David
vintagewatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2018, 05:49 AM   #3
exador
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagewatch View Post
I started collecting Rolex watches seriously in the 1980s. Prices back then were far less (scaled for inflation) then today.
This is how most of the big collectors started out. Those of us that had the misfortune to be born a generation later get to pick up the crumbs
exador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2018, 05:52 AM   #4
KateB
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I mostly bought Rolex sport models that were 10--20 years old (late 1960s to early 1980s). These watches were relatively inexpensive and plentiful when purchased (numerous 1680, 1665, 1675, for $400 to $900 each).
Thank you so much for you pointers David! I had to read it few times to believe I was indeed seeing "$400 to $900". I imagine it would be quite a scene to see the 4 digit classics side by side!

I am going to start a mini project to search for old pictures of the classics when they were new/young. (Sorry this just came across my mind)

Your strategy of getting 10-20 yrs old watch is really great!!! I think they are kind of within range of what I can afford.

Thank you so much again!

Kate
Old 1 May 2018, 05:55 AM   #5
andrewwood86
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 5513
Hi Kate. I'm pretty new to the vintage Rolex world too so don't feel like they're silly questions. While there are one or two who like to show how much they know, the vast majority are willing to give advice and useful information. This is me trying to pay it forward a bit.

1)
I started collecting when I walked past a watch shop near my office and saw a vintage pre-moon Omega Speedmaster. I had no idea what it was at the time but I quickly got sucked into reading forums, websites, etc. to fund out more. I did buy that Speedmaster, however narrowed my focus on Rolex shortly thereafter. While I'm nowhere near the league of some people on here with multiple COMEX subs, milsubs, Paul Newmans, etc., I'm lucky enough to have a job that allows me to pick up a vintage piece here and there.

One thing I decided pretty early on was that I'm not in a position to go hunting for mint condition gilt or unique dials and will almost never look at my watch under a 10x zoom or with a macro lense. As such, once I've decided what ref# I'm after, I will patiently look for one that I like and is appropriately priced. In addition to the watch having original hands/dial/bezel/etc., what I look for most is a nice matching patina on the dial and hands.

2)
I'm not patient enough to wait for a piece to become vintage and I much prefer the pre-80s sport models to the modern equivalents.

3)
This is one I've always struggled with. I'm from Australia where the selection of vintage rolex sports watches in bricks and mortar stores is very limited and when pieces do come on the market, they sell very quickly. I've had to purchase most of my watches via trusted online sellers.

4)
I've typically found the opposite. Once you start talking to people about their watches it's often hard to shut them up (myself included).
andrewwood86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2018, 05:56 AM   #6
andrewwood86
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by exador View Post
This is how most of the big collectors started out. Those of us that had the misfortune to be born a generation later get to pick up the crumbs
Ain't that the truth!
andrewwood86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2018, 06:20 AM   #7
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

1) I started collecting vintage because I fell in love with the individuality/uniqueness of patina. The research/education involved fascinates me as well learning about the history/nuances of the references.

2) Nope, I'm a relatively new collector (last couple years)....and I've paid for it many times over compared to the people that got into it/have been collecting for over a decade. But so far everything I've purchased I tried to base it on condition/condition/condition and have come out ahead on every purchase.

3) I suggest getting together with local vintage WIS if you can find them (plenty here in Southern California) and not only do you meet like minded/interesting people....you get to check out all sorts of vintage and have someone to discuss it with. Win win.....the way social media and the internet have taken over these days, it's more of a buy online kinda thing to do any real shopping unfortunately.

4) I don't make a habit out of complementing anyone on their watches....unless I see something truly unique/crazy awesome.....even then I try to refrain because I myself get a tad weirded out when a stranger complements me on my watch as well.....I'm just not a showy person and don't like the attention personally....and I respect that for others as well.

Good luck on building your collection and journey.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2018, 08:15 AM   #8
linesiders
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: U Talkn Bout Wilis
Kate - some of the other Rolex dress models are creeping up but have not yet gone atmospheric. Wish I started 15 years earlier.

Other watches can be found too which might be worth chasing.

RI Sends regards
Old 1 May 2018, 10:12 AM   #9
onthedial
"TRF" Member

Watch: IG @onthedial
@KateB
Great questions to which I'm sure you'll receive a variety of answers.
Here's another question that you might consider asking: How did you (the collector) decide to build your collection?
If you look at the best private collections, whether it's art, classic cars, rare books, vintage watches, etc. you'll usually find that the collector started amassing items somewhat broadly and as they became more educated about their passion they in turn became more focused in the acquisitions...and their collection became more refined.
At any rate, once you've caught the collecting bug it's nearly impossible to shake free of it. Good luck!
Old 1 May 2018, 11:08 AM   #10
KateB
"TRF" Member

Thank you so much everyone for your advice and pointers!
I dare not to dream to become a collector, that's an unreachable dream for me. I just hope to own one of these beauties.
If I am disciplined enough I think I maybe able to get a 16710 in the foreseeable future. (I just hope that I won't get priced out at that time).

In all honesty, no matter how much I read, I still cannot tell if a watch is in good condition or overly polished... so much to learn!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 1 May 2018, 11:31 AM   #11
KateB
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewwood86 View Post

I've typically found the opposite. Once you start talking to people about their watches it's often hard to shut them up (myself included).

I did ran into a guy like that at a cafe, unfortunately not much of a WIS. He was wearing a 116610LV and saw me looking at his green subc. I said "nice hulk" and then all I can remember was his wrist almost touching my nose and he was screaming "Rare! Rare! Rare!"

But in all seriousness, I hope someday a vintage collector will grant me a chat on watches.

Old 1 May 2018, 11:35 AM   #12
KateB
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
1) I started collecting vintage because I fell in love with the individuality/uniqueness of patina. The research/education involved fascinates me as well learning about the history/nuances of the references.

Yes sir! That's exactly what keep drawing me deeper and deeper!

Old 1 May 2018, 10:30 PM   #13
jhunter3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680 Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by KateB View Post
I did ran into a guy like that at a cafe, unfortunately not much of a WIS. He was wearing a 116610LV and saw me looking at his green subc. I said "nice hulk" and then all I can remember was his wrist almost touching my nose and he was screaming "Rare! Rare! Rare!"

But in all seriousness, I hope someday a vintage collector will grant me a chat on watches.

Develop a relationship with a reputable vintage seller and let them know what you are looking for. I know that may be more difficult than it seems, but DM me and I'll give you the name and website of a stand-up guy.

I was totally into the new and "rare," having bought a Daytona ceramic and stainless SkyDweller in the past 18 mos (both are MSRP from a boutique dealer!). Was looking for something I felt more comfortable wearing daily...just felt like those are too expensive to wear all the time (I know, I know).

I was always ooh-ing and aah-ing over vintage subs, and made some friends--vintage owners-- on Instagram. One thing led to another and a guy turned me on to a great vintage dealer. Contacted him and told him what I was looking for, and more importantly, what I was willing to spend. He emailed and called me right away and we chatted for a bit. Very soon, he had sourced a fantastic 1680 that was almost perfect and what I was looking for, offered at a very reasonable price.

I have 5 Rolexes and it's my favorite and my Every Day (at least the last 3 mos).

This thread needs pics. #sorrynotsorry

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
jhunter3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2018, 11:34 PM   #14
lhanddds
Banned

Watch: of course
No one knows what the future holds. Many I had I bought around 2008, after the crash, and people were freeing up some cash. Today, IMHO, things are a little overinflated. I’m holding back for now. I think prices will eventually trickle back except for the most exclusive (6263, gilt subs, etc). Who knows? I’d also like to have some old Porsches I’ve sold.

lhanddds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2018, 04:14 AM   #15
Tom1675
"TRF" Member

I am kinda new to this but here goes:

1) Inherited one from my dad in 1999, bought a 1601 in 2000, then in 2011 with some savings bought a 1675 after combing the market for months to find the right example... This forum was invaluable and amazing with its knowledge and generosity.

2)No, never even contemplated buying new.

3) Watch shows are a good place and if you get yours serviced owners have always been open to sharing their collections.

4)Not in the right environment... I've chatted many people up when they have something poking out of their sleeve but in a crowded place, showing things off might be careless.

Thanks for your questions and posts!
Tom1675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2018, 11:01 AM   #16
KateB
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhunter3 View Post
Develop a relationship with a reputable vintage seller and let them know what you are looking for. I know that may be more difficult than it seems, but DM me and I'll give you the name and website of a stand-up guy.

I was totally into the new and "rare," having bought a Daytona ceramic and stainless SkyDweller in the past 18 mos (both are MSRP from a boutique dealer!). Was looking for something I felt more comfortable wearing daily...just felt like those are too expensive to wear all the time (I know, I know).

I was always ooh-ing and aah-ing over vintage subs, and made some friends--vintage owners-- on Instagram. One thing led to another and a guy turned me on to a great vintage dealer. Contacted him and told him what I was looking for, and more importantly, what I was willing to spend. He emailed and called me right away and we chatted for a bit. Very soon, he had sourced a fantastic 1680 that was almost perfect and what I was looking for, offered at a very reasonable price.

I have 5 Rolexes and it's my favorite and my Every Day (at least the last 3 mos).

PM sent! Your 1680 is so amazing!!

Old 2 May 2018, 11:21 AM   #17
KateB
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhanddds View Post
No one knows what the future holds. Many I had I bought around 2008, after the crash, and people were freeing up some cash. Today, IMHO, things are a little overinflated. I’m holding back for now. I think prices will eventually trickle back except for the most exclusive (6263, gilt subs, etc). Who knows? I’d also like to have some old Porsches I’ve sold.

Thank you so much for sharing your insight!

Old 2 May 2018, 11:36 AM   #18
Fabrice M
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: This and that...
Quote:
Originally Posted by KateB View Post
Thank you so much everyone for your advice and pointers!
I dare not to dream to become a collector, that's an unreachable dream for me. I just hope to own one of these beauties.
If I am disciplined enough I think I maybe able to get a 16710 in the foreseeable future. (I just hope that I won't get priced out at that time).

In all honesty, no matter how much I read, I still cannot tell if a watch is in good condition or overly polished... so much to learn!

A good investment I have made is to buy a couple of the Mondani books, they are expensive, but they often have a 50% sales, also once in a while you can find a used one. Amazon usually have the best price. I have the GMT one and the Sub one which also include the SD's. The great thing about them is that they have large Hi-res pictures of all the models with descriptions of what to look for. It's a really great way to learn about dials, cases, bezels etc... and History. And it's fun when someone ask on TRF ask about a watch, to take your book and play detective, trying to find out which mk# dial you are looking at, see how an unpolished case should look etc...
Fabrice M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2018, 11:43 AM   #19
KateB
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom1675 View Post

1) Inherited one from my dad in 1999, bought a 1601 in 2000, then in 2011 with some savings bought a 1675 after combing the market for months to find the right example... This forum was invaluable and amazing with its knowledge and generosity.
My dad gave me his Watch too! An Air King 14000. The most precious thing I have.
I agree TRF is amazing! The vintage board is a treasure chest full of valuable knowledge and people are extremely nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom1675 View Post
3) Watch shows are a good place and if you get yours serviced owners have always been open to sharing their collections.
Are the watch shows open to public? I would love to go!

Old 3 May 2018, 12:46 AM   #20
Gina Marie
"TRF" Member

It is a sickness.....you become desensitized to money....1500 for a small round but of aluminum.....yes please. 2000 for a flimsy stainless steel bracelet.....oh lord yes. 9000 for a blue dialed poor mans rolex that nobody wanted 3 years ago.....I think a line is forming.

Don't worry about what is hot....buy what you like....the prices will follow. I got in early to the blue tudor thing as well as the super sub sea craze. Follow your tastes. Best values are early 90s sports models imho.

I started with a 16710 bnib from Ben bridge in 2001....then a Panerai in 2005. Then a 7 day iwc in 2011.....from there sold all and bought a 1675....then a 1680......then a 16800.....on and on. My date range of ownership is 66 through 2015. The 2015 I bought is the omega spectre due to its vintage influence and my ability to wear without fear. I found myself not wanting to clap or wrestle with my kids when wearing a vintage watch.

Prices are insane. I dove in around 2012/2013. Oh, the days when a nice 5513 was 5500, a 7016 was 3500 ......ahhhh....back then.

I did find myself leaving rolex over time.....tudor, heuer, movado, croton. There are lots of cool brands out there. Good luck.
Gina Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2018, 05:36 AM   #21
KateB
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina Marie View Post
It is a sickness.....you become desensitized to money....1500 for a small round but of aluminum...

Best values are early 90s sports models.....

I did find myself leaving rolex over time.....tudor, heuer, movado, croton. There are lots of cool brands out there. Good luck.
Every time I see a Fuchsia insert, my heart just raced... until I see the $2500+ price tags and pull me back to reality. :)
The references from the 90s are the best I can afford now... some other members have also suggest that too.

Million thanks for sharing!
Old 3 May 2018, 07:33 AM   #22
motoikkyu
2024 Pledge Member

I guess I never had the fascination with new things that most people seem to have. My vintage collection grew little by little. I'm not very good with money, if I save some, a legitimate expense will rear its ugly head and I'll be broke again. But vintage watches, that can be bought over time with understanding dealers in the community, well, they were easier to accumulate. And sometimes, you just fall in love with a piece, and you don't know exactly why.
Old 3 May 2018, 01:49 PM   #23
lynchr311
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Paul Duggan out your way (Boston) should have vintage watches to view. I used to buy/sell with him many years ago.
x2 for Paul Duggan. I am also local to Boston and find myself there quite a bit trying on the new pieces they have coming in. Very cool shop and very friendly staff.
lynchr311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2018, 12:48 AM   #24
mattedialdoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhunter3 View Post

Love that watch!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
mattedialdoc is offline   Reply With Quote