The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 May 2018, 07:58 AM   #1
Sprta
"TRF" Member

Problems with my BLNR

Purchased the watch Nov of last year. Almost immediately after winding it would stop after 7 or 8 hrs. Thought it might be the lubericant being congealed so I wore it every day for two weeks. Problem remained. Sent it off to Pa. RSC, did not specify exactly what they did when the watch was returned.that problem fixed.
About three weeks later when setting the minutes the second hand would not move after setting the minutes and seconds.
Here is the sequence of how I set the watch as the AD felt this could be the problem.
Pull the winder and set the GMT hand.
Set the date
Set the minute, kept the watch stopped until I could coordinate the hour, minute and second with the exact time.
When everything matched depressed the winder but the second hand would not move.
Winded the watch and went through the sequence again, same problem. However if I shake the watch in the wind position, it starts.
The AD seems to think, after setting each phase to press the winder before proceeding. Did not make sense to me as this is how I always set each phase.
Problem is intermittent but occurs often.
So its going back to the RSC for the third time.
Any advice before I start asking for a new watch, to what may be causing this problem.
Is there a special sequence for setting each phase on a GMT that differs from my hulk and sea dweller which are both fairly new?
Sprta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 08:43 AM   #2
eco8gator
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5060/a
Take it to the AD and have them look at it. If it's not right send it in for service on the house...
eco8gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 08:54 AM   #3
mjolnir2thor
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5226G & 5513(1963)
If they don’t make good on the watch ask for a refund. If they give you grief, contest the charge on your credit card.
mjolnir2thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 10:22 AM   #4
Heff
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedmaster Pro
So everyone always say that they would demand a new watch or refund, but has anyone ever successfully gotten a refund or new watch? People talk a big game when it isn’t them, so I’m curious if anyone has ever successfully done this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Heff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 10:45 AM   #5
vinny84
2024 Pledge Member

Your sequence is the way I set mine. So nothing you’re doing wrong or different than what you’re supposed to do.

How many rotations do you wind it usually?

I say if it comes back the third time and they didn’t fix the problem, have the AD call Rolex or call them yourself and ask for a new watch. That’s the least they could do for your troubles.
vinny84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 10:52 AM   #6
MJ8
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Get a refund, the watch is faulty. & buy a sub :)
MJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 11:05 AM   #7
junamuan
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heff View Post
So everyone always say that they would demand a new watch or refund, but has anyone ever successfully gotten a refund or new watch? People talk a big game when it isn’t them, so I’m curious if anyone has ever successfully done this.

I'm curious to know too
junamuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 11:19 AM   #8
Sprta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny84 View Post
Your sequence is the way I set mine. So nothing you’re doing wrong or different than what you’re supposed to do.

How many rotations do you wind it usually?

I say if it comes back the third time and they didn’t fix the problem, have the AD call Rolex or call them yourself and ask for a new watch. That’s the least they could do for your troubles.
Turn it around 40 times. Its off to the RSC but this time they are supposed to call me and I will tell them exactly whats happening. Easier than trying to write down everything.
My fear is thats it's a lemon. The last time it went to the RSC they did a complete service. And it still failed when it came back to the AD.
Sprta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 11:21 AM   #9
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjolnir2thor View Post
If they don’t make good on the watch ask for a refund. If they give you grief, contest the charge on your credit card.
Refund on a 6 month old watch?? Keep dreaming.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 11:52 AM   #10
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
When you expect a mechanical piece to act like a digital switch you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

There are many forces acting on the movement, spring wind, torque, friction, and lash/binding to name a few. Tapping a mechanical movement to unlock all of those potential glitches and get it moving is pretty common.

In a perfect world, things are perfect.
Old 20 May 2018, 12:59 PM   #11
Muxi
"TRF" Member

I don’t understand. The expectation is simply that the watch will work flawlessly as designed, as with all our watches
Muxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 01:35 PM   #12
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Never heard of this fatal setting sequence. Sounds like a faulty watch to me - AD should fix it, whatever they think it is.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 02:10 PM   #13
meganfox17
Banned

Multiple Choice Question

* What are the causes of reduced power reserves time ?

A Mainspring Creep
Mainspring cannot grip inner wall of barrel which has serrations or notches resulting in slipping and unwinding itself at an unpredictable rate
B Insufficient manual winding and failure to kickstart the initiation process
C Incorrect lubrication or too much grease applied to the barrel wall
D Assembling the wrong tension spring
E All of the above

My answer would be E
meganfox17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 02:40 PM   #14
Vlad the Impaler 007
"TRF" Member

If you wind it a few times, then shake it to get it started and then proceed with your sequence everything works fine? Just do that. That's how I set mine when they're dead.
Vlad the Impaler 007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 09:58 PM   #15
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
Refund on a 6 month old watch?? Keep dreaming.
yeah unlikely to happen
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 11:53 PM   #16
vinny84
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprta View Post
Turn it around 40 times. Its off to the RSC but this time they are supposed to call me and I will tell them exactly whats happening. Easier than trying to write down everything.
My fear is thats it's a lemon. The last time it went to the RSC they did a complete service. And it still failed when it came back to the AD.
40 rotations seems a lot. I only rotate mine to 25 max, usually 20. I just go by what the manual says.

Maybe overwinding the watch might of caused this?
vinny84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 12:06 AM   #17
phez
"TRF" Member

Watch: PT DD40 Ice Blue
Quote:

I got both. Had an issue after a couple of weeks with the new DD40 and the date not changing until 1:30am. AD got permission from Rolex to order a new one. The second watch showed the same issue after a week, so AD give me a full refund
Grand Seiko GMT blue dial and blue GMT hand
phez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 12:19 AM   #18
Auto16610
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexOmegaPanerai
I don't get it.

I read on here that Rolex is a non profit organization. If so, why don't they just replace the movement? They must have hundreds of movements on the shelf and plenty of money in the bank.
Auto16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2018, 12:21 AM   #19
Cryten
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Here is the sequence of how I set the watch as the AD felt this could be the problem........
That's a new one to add to "the stupid things ADs say" thread. How can the setting order affect the watch? It isn't a combination lock. I've always set mine the same way, but I wind it first, then stop the seconds hand at 12, and then precede exactly as you do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny84 View Post
40 rotations seems a lot. I only rotate mine to 25 max, usually 20. I just go by what the manual says.

Maybe overwinding the watch might of caused this?
You can't overwind an automatic watch, that would be a serious design flaw. Once fully wound the mainspring just slips in the barrel. If it didn't do this, you'd overwind it by wearing it.
Cryten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2018, 01:49 AM   #20
Frakis
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Purchased the watch Nov of last year. Almost immediately after winding it would stop after 7 or 8 hrs. Thought it might be the lubericant being congealed so I wore it every day for two weeks. Problem remained. Sent it off to Pa. RSC, did not specify exactly what they did when the watch was returned.that problem fixed.

About three weeks later when setting the minutes the second hand would not move after setting the minutes and seconds.

Here is the sequence of how I set the watch as the AD felt this could be the problem.

Pull the winder and set the GMT hand.

Set the date

Set the minute, kept the watch stopped until I could coordinate the hour, minute and second with the exact time.

When everything matched depressed the winder but the second hand would not move.

Winded the watch and went through the sequence again, same problem. However if I shake the watch in the wind position, it starts.

The AD seems to think, after setting each phase to press the winder before proceeding. Did not make sense to me as this is how I always set each phase.

Problem is intermittent but occurs often.

So its going back to the RSC for the third time.

Any advice before I start asking for a new watch, to what may be causing this problem.

Is there a special sequence for setting each phase on a GMT that differs from my hulk and sea dweller which are both fairly new?

Any updates on your BLNR?
Old 31 December 2018, 09:03 AM   #21
mdx77
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I would venture a guess that it truly depends on the AD and the relationship you have with them - or shall I say, how much you spend in their store. Seriously though, I can tell you I’ve been buying from my AD for over 15 years and had an issue about two years ago with a brand new Hulk that had a hairline scratch on the dial. I didn’t notice it until a few days after I bought it and when I went back, they replaced it on the spot. See link I posted last February:

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=523476

“This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back. You take the BLUE pill - the story ends; you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the RED pill - you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.”

Rolex Submariner 116610LV Hulk | Rolex GMT 16710 Pepsi | Omega Speedmaster “Speedy Tuesday” | Tudor Black Bay 79220R “ETA Rose” | Tudor Pelagos Blue Dial | Rolex Submariner Yellow Gold 116618LB | Rolex Milgauss “Z-Blue” 116400GV
mdx77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2018, 09:11 AM   #22
gilpatric
"TRF" Member

Demand a new watch or refund and be persistent about it.
gilpatric is offline   Reply With Quote