The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 31 May 2018, 08:41 AM   #31
Aventura
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05carbondrz View Post
“We” are own worst Enemies.
Well said!!

Of course. With all due respect the majority (not all) of the people of the Forum speak because they have a tongue and I suppose nothing to do, but they think they are understood and do not know anything about it. The least thing that crosses Rolex's mind is to increase prices and here they are increasing it every time. I am quite disappointed and the gray dealers must be rubbing their hands in satisfaction as the same people are increasing their prices.
Aventura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2018, 09:11 AM   #32
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
For a modern production watch I think there is always a chance for price appreciation as long as it is scarce to get and large demand.

However, regardless of it being a Daytona or another model, there is absolutely a threshold on where a current production watch can creep up to. In many cases I don't see it rising above a full PM version of Daytona with a similar ceramic bezel nor do I think it would re-sale higher than something deemed more prestigious like a SS Nautilus or whichever watch it maybe.

I know people are going to say its a chronograph vs. a time only piece or whatever function it may have. I just believe at some point the price threshold in comparison with another watch will make it stop rising or even retract.
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2018, 11:36 AM   #33
Rose Gold
"TRF" Member

Watch: er in the rye
Only if he rises out of his grave, engraves the back “drive safely me”, (with the engraving setvyou brought with you) and then allows you to take a selfie with him (or whatever is left of him).

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb521 View Post
If i take my daytona to Paul Newmans grave and take a picture of it there does that increase the value?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 31 May 2018, 11:43 AM   #34
imgook
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN White
With an average of 2 threads per day asking about the Daytona C, don't see prices going anywhere but up up and away!
imgook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2018, 02:01 AM   #35
jonski
"TRF" Member

Watch: Urwerk103
Quote:
Originally Posted by imgook View Post
With an average of 2 threads per day asking about the Daytona C, don't see prices going anywhere but up up and away!
^

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 3 June 2018, 02:10 AM   #36
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
For the time being....physics will eventually catch up with the state of the current watch market -- as it does with everything...just make sure you are on the 'right' side of it when it does...
RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2018, 02:22 AM   #37
lecorsaire
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
I have seen prices slightly lower on Chrono24 from just a month ago. More black dials being sold for less than $20k. Now of course most will not be unworn but not beat up either.

Honestly I think in the short term prices will keep rising. Perhaps they’ll take a small dip over the summer since sales tend to be slow. There are several factors that have caused a perfect storm here:

1. Daytona is already a very limited watch regardless of other factors.
2. Since September/October Rolex dramatically decreased SS sports shipments
3. Dow Jones at all time highs after years of mediocre performance.
4. Tax Cut & Jobs Act passed in December. Corporate executives and the wealthy with more discretionary cash than they’ve had this entire decade.
5. Really strong demand from Asia. They are taking what would’ve been shipped to the U.S. in former times.

It’s not the market price of the Daytona which has surprised me. It’s that now every new sports Rolex released appears to be getting treated just like the Daytona. Over the long run these Daytona’s are the only guaranteed Rolex to skyrocket in the future. As nice as GMTs are, they have always been a standard model like a Black Sub. The jewelers in NYC are even selling SS Datejusts for a small premium. This is unheard of.

The smart money right now is looking for undervalued Rolex or popular but not overpriced watches like the Bluesy that will not take a beating should the market make a sudden 180. Especially 5 digit models that are now close to being a decade out of production.
Old 3 June 2018, 02:27 AM   #38
jonski
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHIII View Post
For the time being....physics will eventually catch up with the state of the current watch market -- as it does with everything...just make sure you are on the 'right' side of it when it does...
I agree. It's a seller's market now. Incredibly one sided.

Old 3 June 2018, 02:28 AM   #39
lecorsaire
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nastie View Post
For a modern production watch I think there is always a chance for price appreciation as long as it is scarce to get and large demand.

However, regardless of it being a Daytona or another model, there is absolutely a threshold on where a current production watch can creep up to. In many cases I don't see it rising above a full PM version of Daytona with a similar ceramic bezel nor do I think it would re-sale higher than something deemed more prestigious like a SS Nautilus or whichever watch it maybe.

I know people are going to say its a chronograph vs. a time only piece or whatever function it may have. I just believe at some point the price threshold in comparison with another watch will make it stop rising or even retract.
The threshold is the market price of PM Rolex. This is now happening with the steel 5711 approaching gold 5711 prices. The only difference is that the steel 5711 may never come down in price. It has been in production for a long time now and it may be discontinued at any time.
Old 3 June 2018, 02:42 AM   #40
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinMay View Post
great idea. Let me be the first

The current price of Daytona is a discount since Pepsi is going for 21K. And we all know Daytona is the superior and more popular watch.
That’s curious.

How is it superior? Or more popular?

I do realize the poll results. However, it’s also common knowledge that everyone votes for what they want to be best. Aka, what they have.

To me, greater visibility, better lume, timing bezel, multiple times zones make it a better watch.

Curious why you think the Daytona is superior.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2018, 02:47 AM   #41
red1108nyc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Trend is your friend. Look at sales ad listings per our reputable sellers and see price movement trend. Don’t think it has been down - this is just one perspective.
red1108nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2018, 02:54 AM   #42
lecorsaire
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
That’s curious.

How is it superior? Or more popular?

I do realize the poll results. However, it’s also common knowledge that everyone votes for what they want to be best. Aka, what they have.

To me, greater visibility, better lume, timing bezel, multiple times zones make it a better watch.

Curious why you think the Daytona is superior.
The Daytona is objectively superior. It is the most desirable Rolex no matter the generation. Much of this is due to it being Rolex’s only chrono and it’s association with Paul Newman. Even the 116520s are now quickly approaching ceramic prices.

It is one of the only Rolex that a Patek, AP, ALS buyer would be likely to be interested in.
Old 3 June 2018, 02:54 AM   #43
4srolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gears in motion
Anyone who has the funds to spend 21k on a Daytona will have no problem paying 6k more for a PM Daytona. I thinking we are at a the ceiling for a watch that is over 2 years old. I hope all flippers migrate over to the Pepsi and let the enthusiast get their Daytona’s.

When people ask how was your day? I tell them: "Same circus just different clowns!"
4srolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2018, 02:58 AM   #44
lecorsaire
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4srolex View Post
Anyone who has the funds to spend 21k on a Daytona will have no problem paying 6k more for a PM Daytona. I thinking we are at a the ceiling for a watch that is over 2 years old. I hope all flippers migrate over to the Pepsi and let the enthusiast get their Daytona’s.
Yes but the thing is that the SS Daytona is the most desirable version. That a watch is made of gold, platinum or steel doesn’t really mean much. This doesn’t apply to every model but it does for things like the Daytona and 5711.
Old 3 June 2018, 03:12 AM   #45
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by lecorsaire View Post
The Daytona is objectively superior. It is the most desirable Rolex no matter the generation. Much of this is due to it being Rolex’s only chrono and it’s association with Paul Newman. Even the 116520s are now quickly approaching ceramic prices.

It is one of the only Rolex that a Patek, AP, ALS buyer would be likely to be interested in.
Oh. Objectively superior due to marketing.

Got it.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2018, 03:50 AM   #46
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:

subjective is the word you are looking for.

I happen to like the WG OF daytona. Car racing and Paul Newman was the #1 reason i didn't like them and it took me a really, really long time to be interested in the NASCAR watch. I cant buy a Yacht master either for obvious reasons written on the dial.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2018, 05:14 AM   #47
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
As long as there are some with more money than sense willing to pay these crazy prices the grey market will thrive.As today most watches like the SS Daytona end on the grey market where there are hundreds for sale.Afraid today the WIS has made a rod for his/hers own back.
right on...
superstarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2018, 05:29 AM   #48
c007
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by imgook View Post
The only way i see it.
c007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2018, 06:29 AM   #49
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
Since there doesn’t seem to be a realistic scenario where it would go down anytime soon.. yes I’d guess it’ll probably rise.... especially with talk of a price increase on the horizon
CoveWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2018, 02:02 PM   #50
timlaw
"TRF" Member

Watch: Coke 16710
as above - simple factor of supply and demand - unlikely to change so grey market prices unlikely to drop

I doubt that the removal of stickers and withholding of warranty cards (even if that practice became the norm) will stop people willing to pay twice the price for goods

I also agree that paying a premium for any SS sports model is completely nuts - I loved my ceramic sub but I just cant see that watch or any GMT as an above list watch

it seems a general trend that there is a lot more money than sense out there for all kinds of desirable luxury goods - I saw a lovely 911 GT2RS at my Porsche dealer a couple of months ago. about Ł250k list. my dealer was getting ONE car. they will do their best to sell it to a loyal customer who will not just move it on for a huge profit but that doesn't work. a quick search on autotrader found 3 of these cars with delivery miles for sale with the lowest of the 3 at Ł550k.

124060 Submariner, 16710 Coke, 16570 Black dial, Datejust 41 Wimbledon dial, Tudor Black Bay GMT, Tudor Black Bay 58 Blue, Tudor Black Bay 58 925, Tudor Prince Date Chronograph (panda dial)
timlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2018, 02:56 PM   #51
rominvicta
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, BLNR, SM, GM
Strange reasoning might be read above. In a couple of years or less SS Daytona would have a price somewhere between 25 and 35 000 EUR. That is where Rolex is aiming at. Most likely meanwhile PM Daytonas would have increased to 35-40 000 EUR, and still they would be cheaper than chronographs of AP and PP.
You have to grasp the idea that Rolex would try and most likely succeds to get in league with AP and PP in terms of market positioning and level of prices. If they keep on what they previously used to do, namely incresing turnover at expense of volume sold how do you think that would look like in 10-15 years? With all trends of demographic development, invasion of smart watches, disinterest of young generation etc.
So, as of my humble opinion you might expect doubling all prices (even grey) in a period of 2-5 years maximum. Meanwhile many people, would start reverting to PM as it would seem to be a reasonable alternative to SS grey pricing. And that works also in benefit of strategy developed.
rominvicta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2018, 03:10 PM   #52
BzKneez
"TRF" Member

I f'n hope not with the cash i gave to get my pm daytona
BzKneez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2018, 03:32 PM   #53
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:

The smart money right now is looking for undervalued Rolex or popular but not overpriced watches like the Bluesy that will not take a beating should the market make a sudden 180. Especially 5 digit models that are now close to being a decade out of production.
No, the smart money is 100% not buying new watches right now unless 1. It’s MSRP on a hot model from an AD or 2. Because they absolutely need to have it right now.
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2018, 03:35 PM   #54
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rominvicta View Post
Strange reasoning might be read above. In a couple of years or less SS Daytona would have a price somewhere between 25 and 35 000 EUR. That is where Rolex is aiming at. Most likely meanwhile PM Daytonas would have increased to 35-40 000 EUR, and still they would be cheaper than chronographs of AP and PP.
You have to g
rasp the idea that Rolex would try and most likely succeds to get in league with AP and PP in terms of market positioning and level of prices. If they keep on what they previously used to do, namely incresing turnover at expense of volume sold how do you think that would look like in 10-15 years? With all trends of demographic development, invasion of smart watches, disinterest of young generation etc.
So, as of my humble opinion you might expect doubling all prices (even grey) in a period of 2-5 years maximum. Meanwhile many people, would start reverting to PM as it would seem to be a reasonable alternative to SS grey pricing. And that works also in benefit of strategy developed.
Yeah, because the attention to detail is not comparable. Also, they produce WAY less watches than Rolex. Rolex will NEVER be the price of PP. Period. There is not a market for that. You cannot sell the volume Rolex does, at that price point.

As to your second point, price is already almost double MSRP, it’s not going up much higher. Everybody is FOMO’ng out at this point and are going to cry when they realize they bought the top.
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2018, 09:58 PM   #55
jezza17
"TRF" Member

Watch: DRSD
I’m afraid so.
jezza17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2018, 03:32 AM   #56
jonski
"TRF" Member

Hehehhehe well fck me

Old 17 June 2018, 03:56 AM   #57
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
As long as there are some with more money than sense willing to pay these crazy prices the grey market will thrive.As today most watches like the SS Daytona end on the grey market where there are hundreds for sale.Afraid today the WIS has made a rod for his/hers own back.
uh oh! I didn't think i had a lot of money, and now I know I'm nonsensical too. Double whammy! Ouch.

My apologies to those still waiting years to buy their daytona at MSRP, apparently I'm the reason why. None the less, I have no regrets and I'm loving every second of this...
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2018, 08:54 AM   #58
Rose Gold
"TRF" Member

Watch: er in the rye
Stunning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post
uh oh! I didn't think i had a lot of money, and now I know I'm nonsensical too. Double whammy! Ouch.

My apologies to those still waiting years to buy their daytona at MSRP, apparently I'm the reason why. None the less, I have no regrets and I'm loving every second of this...
Old 17 June 2018, 09:59 AM   #59
wrxsti
"TRF" Member

they are only going up up and away!
Old 17 June 2018, 10:47 AM   #60
RazorD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Love this!
RazorD is offline   Reply With Quote