The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 2 June 2018, 06:51 AM   #1
ragsk
Banned

Opinions please on 26331IP ROC as first AP ?

Been reading many thread on these forums for a while so thank you everyone for such a great information resource.

I have been looking to add to my very limited watch collection for a while now and am seriously considering adding a couple of watches to my collections including a Royal Oak.

I was originally thinking of going for a new Stainless Steel ROC with black panda dials but I have now been offered this limited edition Titanium and Platinum ROC at list price by an AD.

They are telling me that it is a great high demand piece that will hold on to its value very well. Also that the contrast between titanium and platinum on the bezel and links really makes the watch "pop".

I will like to own an AP for once in my life and it is likely that this will be my one and only one. So I would appreciate the advice of you guys on this topic. What do you think on this watch and should I go for it or one of the other regular stainless steel models?

BTW my last watch purchase was in 2006 when I bought a Submariner 50th anniversary and Daytona in one day. Since then nothing although I have the bug again and desperately seeking to add more.

Thanks
ragsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2018, 03:38 PM   #2
ragsk
Banned

Another members pictures of the model I am referring to:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AP1.jpg (148.5 KB, 503 views)
File Type: jpg AP2.jpg (237.4 KB, 511 views)
Old 2 June 2018, 04:00 PM   #3
SC11
Banned

Watch: AP ☠️
It’s a great piece and know a couple of owners but one thing the strikes me as odd!

You do realise this is a boutique only piece so an AD shouldn’t have one of these available, do you happen to be referring to the boutique when stating AD or is the a greay dealer and not an AD?
SC11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2018, 04:16 PM   #4
ragsk
Banned

Sorry Sam, yes it is a boutique but not in the UK. So clearly AP havent sold out of them yet. Also what I dont understand is why so many are on sale at grey dealers when the boutiques should have been controlling supply?

So do you think its worth spending the extra over the standard ROC? I really will only buy 1 AP and this will be it.

I am also on the waiting list for a Patek 5711. I want to build a nice watch collection to wear and then hand down to my boys in time - so really looking for classic watches that will also give them value even if they wish to sell down the line.
Old 2 June 2018, 04:26 PM   #5
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
It's a gorgeous looking watch. And ROC are in general very versatile, looking great both casual and dress-up. You only need to be careful of the polished platinum bezel as it scratches easily.

As for future resale value, nobody can tell for sure. So buy only what you like.
Old 2 June 2018, 04:38 PM   #6
OP15
"TRF" Member

It’s a great watch. As your one and only AP, I do wonder about the polished bezel and how it will hold up. I referenced it being your one and only because I wouldn’t be surprised if it gets a lot of wrist time. But like Ben said, it’s important to buy what you like.
OP15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2018, 05:16 PM   #7
ragsk
Banned

Yes I didnt think too much about the durability of the polished platinum bezel and links.....

If my wifes platinum rings are anything to go by these will scratch up readily - I would hate the watch getting the platinum patina look you get on jewellery.

A replacement bezel would be enormous cost but also not sure if AP would polish it during routine services?
Old 2 June 2018, 05:28 PM   #8
OP15
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragsk View Post
Yes I didnt think too much about the durability of the polished platinum bezel and links.....

If my wifes platinum rings are anything to go by these will scratch up readily - I would hate the watch getting the platinum patina look you get on jewellery.

A replacement bezel would be enormous cost but also not sure if AP would polish it during routine services?
AP will polish it, as long as you elect to pay for it during service. As far as a bezel replacement (you’ll need a full service)...I’m guessing you’ll be looking at around $3k.
OP15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2018, 06:03 PM   #9
SC11
Banned

OP well that makes sense!

My input on it...

It’s a great looking piece and one I honestly considered getting, the material and dial colour combinations really stand out and look great, it’s the best looking ROC IMO.

Value wise they are about a 10k premium over the SS versions so quite a jump but you need to decide if that premium is worth it to you!
Value retention it’s clealry not a big mover given it’s been out a while, boutiques still having allocations available and greys have them at just over retail.

I do think it will hold its value better then the stock SS version but to what degree and if they’ll appreciate I don’t know but really you shouldn’t buy based around this.

As for durability I’m going against the above! I’ve seen one after a few months wear and it looked still brand new! Ok Pt is slightly softer so my main concern would be dents etc but as for scratches not at all, polished surfaces do show up every tiny mark but unless you catch it in the right light then they all tend to just blend in where as brushed ok hides the tiny marks but get a nice one across the grain and it stands out far worse then any polished surface scratch!
Old 2 June 2018, 06:56 PM   #10
ragsk
Banned

Sam - thats interesting so maybe more durable in reality. If this is still readily available what are the chances of a boutique applying some discount? I could try in the UK (London) for example.

I think I am willing to pay the £10k premium given it is unique in a way plus has some platinum in it.
Old 2 June 2018, 07:24 PM   #11
SC11
Banned

Quote:
Sam - thats interesting so maybe more durable in reality. If this is still readily available what are the chances of a boutique applying some discount? I could try in the UK (London) for example.

I think I am willing to pay the £10k premium given it is unique in a way plus has some platinum in it.
No chance of discount and I wouldn’t say readily available but it was released in Jan 2017 with a count of 500 and I’ve heard of a couple of boutiques having them available recently.

As for the UK you can ask (availability not discount) but they have supplied two already and when I last spoke with them they said they could try but couldn’t guarantee a third coming through.
Old 3 June 2018, 12:40 AM   #12
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC11 View Post
It’s a great piece and know a couple of owners but one thing the strikes me as odd!

You do realise this is a boutique only piece so an AD shouldn’t have one of these available, do you happen to be referring to the boutique when stating AD or is the a greay dealer and not an AD?
Was this always a BO piece? I could’ve swore that it was initially released as just a LE piece available to AD’s (at least here in the US).
texasmade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2018, 12:45 AM   #13
SC11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmade View Post
Was this always a BO piece? I could’ve swore that it was initially released as just a LE piece available to AD’s (at least here in the US).
Pretty sure you are right as I remember it just stating LE on the site and then went to LE of 500 and BO
Old 3 June 2018, 01:01 AM   #14
ragsk
Banned

Quote:
No chance of discount and I wouldn’t say readily available but it was released in Jan 2017 with a count of 500 and I’ve heard of a couple of boutiques having them available recently.

As for the UK you can ask (availability not discount) but they have supplied two already and when I last spoke with them they said they could try but couldn’t guarantee a third coming through.
Ok thank you. Will check it out.
Old 3 June 2018, 01:19 AM   #15
ragsk
Banned

Quote:

Ok thank you. I will follow up next week to try and see it in the flesh.
Old 7 June 2018, 06:50 AM   #16
ragsk
Banned

Ok I saw one in the flesh yesterday and I am in love with it.

In my humble opinion it is much better looking than the steel version which looks duller in comparison. The steel version is a great looking watch but this one is darker due to the titanium and pops more due to the platinum bezel and bracelet links. Looks wise it wasn't much of a contest for me.

I have a couple of questions:

1. Is the warranty on AP watches 5 years if bought from a boutique? Also is the warranty a global one regardless of which country you buy from?

2. I have read that AP will likely soon release an inhouse chrono movement - is that correct? What impact do people expect from this if any? Wiil people look down at the older chronos / will their values drop considerably?

Thank you once again.
Old 7 June 2018, 08:00 AM   #17
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I generally prefer non-grey dials as it's too similar to white metal so I prefer the Panda dial, but this one works, esp with the different metals. AP warranty is 5 years and global, and a new inhouse may come next year, but we've been hearing that for 2/3 years now so I wouldn't hold off for that, would be up to a year away anyway.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2018, 08:37 AM   #18
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
Quote:
Ok I saw one in the flesh yesterday and I am in love with it.

In my humble opinion it is much better looking than the steel version which looks duller in comparison. The steel version is a great looking watch but this one is darker due to the titanium and pops more due to the platinum bezel and bracelet links. Looks wise it wasn't much of a contest for me.

I have a couple of questions:

1. Is the warranty on AP watches 5 years if bought from a boutique? Also is the warranty a global one regardless of which country you buy from?

2. I have read that AP will likely soon release an inhouse chrono movement - is that correct? What impact do people expect from this if any? Wiil people look down at the older chronos / will their values drop considerably?

Thank you once again.
1. 5 year warranty is "Applicable to all AP watches purchased through our authorized network from 1st January 2017" So ADs or Boutique and is global.

2. AP has been promising an base in house chrono (already have them on higher end models) for years now and last I heard they weren't putting it in the ROC at launch. I doubt the value of the current ROC will drop. The ROOs didnt drop when they went from the JLC movement to the 3120. The current ROC 2385 is a fantastic and reliable movement.
singe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2018, 05:08 AM   #19
ragsk
Banned

Ok thank you guys. i am going to buy it. Confirmed my intention with AP this evening and will pay them tomorrow.

AP box checked
Old 8 June 2018, 05:10 AM   #20
ragsk
Banned

Two other watch brands now on my bucket list;

Patek
A Lange and Sohne
Old 8 June 2018, 06:31 AM   #21
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
Quote:

Patek
A Lange and Sohne
congrats and great list!!!!
singe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2018, 06:33 AM   #22
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:

Patek
A Lange and Sohne

Congratulations in advance. We know you want a 5711 so what’s your aim with Lange? Datograph? Lange 1?
Old 8 June 2018, 06:43 AM   #23
ragsk
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by singe89 View Post
congrats and great list!!!!
Thank you. Today was a good day. I also managed to bag a new Rolex Sea Dweller from an AD as a present for my son's graduation!
Old 8 June 2018, 06:47 AM   #24
ragsk
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Congratulations in advance. We know you want a 5711 so what’s your aim with Lange? Datograph? Lange 1?
GB-man - I have a 5711 on order which I reckon is at least 3 years away. I could switch that to a 5712 which would come next year but I am going to stick to waiting for a blue dial 5711.

Yep the Datograph - 41mm in Rose. But cant seem to find anything below $40k used so am going to wait for a bit from a budget perspective.

Not sure what else to consider ?
Old 8 June 2018, 06:52 AM   #25
ragsk
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I generally prefer non-grey dials as it's too similar to white metal so I prefer the Panda dial, but this one works, esp with the different metals. AP warranty is 5 years and global, and a new inhouse may come next year, but we've been hearing that for 2/3 years now so I wouldn't hold off for that, would be up to a year away anyway.
AK797 - this one really works. The grey dial actually works as it needs to be slightly subdued given the rest of the watch plus the blue subdials set it off nicely. I really liked it and so did my wife. I am not normally a bling watch person but this one just set things up nicely on my wrist
Old 8 June 2018, 06:58 AM   #26
SC11
Banned

Quote:
Ok thank you guys. i am going to buy it. Confirmed my intention with AP this evening and will pay them tomorrow.

AP box checked
Congrats in advance mate
Old 8 June 2018, 01:14 PM   #27
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
GB-man - I have a 5711 on order which I reckon is at least 3 years away. I could switch that to a 5712 which would come next year but I am going to stick to waiting for a blue dial 5711.

Yep the Datograph - 41mm in Rose. But cant seem to find anything below $40k used so am going to wait for a bit from a budget perspective.

Well you’re in good hands with either of those nautilus so no input there

Dato I feel your pain. It’s like someone imposed a floor at 40k no matter which one you want. Personally I don’t feel comfortable there so I would need a major dip in the market to get in.
Old 8 June 2018, 10:16 PM   #28
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:

Only other would be a 1815 chrono though I like most the new WG which is still pricey.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2018, 11:06 PM   #29
ragsk
Banned

Quote:
Congrats in advance mate
Thank you for all the advice. It wasn’t actually easy to get hold of. I called multiple boutiques worldwide : Geneva and Zurich confirmed they have been told by AP that they will not be receiving anymore, Milan and Dubai didn’t know when and if they will get anymore but could put me on a waitlist in hope more than anything, New York already had a waitlist of 5 people, Vegas just laughed at me and said no chance and a boutique in Asia had no idea what I was talking about.....

Basically I think they have pretty much sold out now.
Old 8 June 2018, 11:29 PM   #30
SC11
Banned

Quote:
Thank you for all the advice. It wasn’t actually easy to get hold of. I called multiple boutiques worldwide : Geneva and Zurich confirmed they have been told by AP that they will not be receiving anymore, Milan and Dubai didn’t know when and if they will get anymore but could put me on a waitlist in hope more than anything, New York already had a waitlist of 5 people, Vegas just laughed at me and said no chance and a boutique in Asia had no idea what I was talking about.....

Basically I think they have pretty much sold out now.
Little unsure where you had the idea it was going to easy so congrats on getting one!

I did state it was a slow mover as it’s been released now since Jan 17 and have seen a few decide this year they wanted one and getting one so it has been a slow mover but an amazing piece none the less and if it wasn’t for me picking up the 15407st I’d of been all over one